nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2022 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My computer is in a better mood after a good talkin to LOL! Here's Fiona and her baby girl (we haven't named her yet)

The baby girl is a sweetheart. Sometimes the new ones are scared and skittish but not this one! She's so calm and loves to rub all over me as I pet her. We have 2 more that are ready any day now. My husband and I were actually debating which one of the other 2 would be the first one but Fiona beat them both!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2022 :  5:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love her!!! She is precious:)

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

671 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
671 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2022 :  5:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So so sweet!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3732 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3732 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2022 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I want one! Heather she is such a little cutie.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2022 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We decided to name her Freya. If we lived closer everyone could come visit her all the time. Just wait until Magnolia (we call her Maggie) has her baby! She's our jersey. Those babies are tiny compared to the holsteins and they look like they have on eyeliner. They're the cutest little calves.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2022 :  8:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like we should be having a baby shower…..haha!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2022 :  11:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! How fun would that be!!!!

I really thought I'd have some more pictures for you today. Not sure what Rose is waiting on. I'm guessing she's going to have a bull calf. Not always, but usually when they're overdue it's a bull. She's a red and white and she's bred to a red and white so the calf will be red and white :) Little Debbie is a first timer. They're very unpredictable. They can look like they won't have a baby for a week yet and there it is. They can also make you think they're going to have their baby right now so you pen them up and then it's a week before they have it! She's not due until Thursday though. I believe that baby will be a black and white one.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2022 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love their names! I feel for your Little Debbie….my first child was WAY over his due date. I couldn’t go anywhere so I had to stay close to home and WAIT.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2022 :  10:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any experience, but that sounds kind of miserable! Rose - the older cow looks quite uncomfortable but Little Debbie doesn't seem to mind. She's just happy she gets to come in the parlor and eat grain. We're training another heifer (first timer) and it's not going as smoothly. She kicked me a good one yesterday morning! Today went much better. I bet she's going to be a kicky one when she first starts milking.

Little Freya is a model baby! She's already drinking out of the bucket and will get up and come see you when you go talk to her. It's nice having a calf around again :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2022 :  12:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The morning started with a beautiful sunrise!

And now I can't upload anymore pictures :( Well, Little Debbie had a baby girl and she's cute as can be. I'll have to try again this evening.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2022 :  12:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How pretty!!!! I love that time of day.
I was thinking about Little Debbie this morning…glad to hear she and baby girl are doing well:)

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2022 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here she is about 20 minutes after she was born. She's all dried off and running (yup - running!) around now but I didn't get any more pictures of her yet. She's a sweetheart too. Her mama did fantastic for a first timer. She only kicked once during her first milking :) Hopefully she keeps it up. Not 100% sure yet on the baby's name. Poor Rose is now a week overdue! I thought she would be the first one to have her baby this year. Not only was her due date first, but she looked like she was getting ready first.

It was pretty funny to see what happened in the other corner of the maternity pen:

Tippy had a baby too! (you can't tell in the picture but she has a white tip on her tail) I'm not sure if she had any more or not. They're not in the corner anymore. I'll keep my eye out for her in the morning and see if I can find where she's hiding.

And it's warm enough that it's going to rain instead of snow tonight :) All around great day today!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  6:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We decided Little Debbie's baby is named Darla. She's a spunky little thing! She runs and jumps around. It's super cute to watch but I bet she's going to be ornery in a couple weeks :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 01 2022 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 more calves to show you but I'm being summoned to the garden to get the potatoes planted so I'll have to upload pictures later!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 01 2022 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is Lucy - she's a first time mama and while Rose was in the maternity pen hanging out she decided to have her baby. I didn't get a picture of them together but here's the little one. Right now we just call her baby.

The hoof trimmer came on Monday and all the girls got their mani-pedis :) Rose decided after some pampering she would have her baby - Finally!!! She had a big bull calf. You have to be very careful around him - he likes to head butt!!!

2 days ago Sadie surprised us with a beautiful baby girl. We named her Suki. She got the spa treatment (a bath and a towel rub)

She's a very observant little one. She lays there and watches you without moving her head. She fools you into thinking she's all nice and sweet LOL! Once she gets up the attitude comes out!!! She gets it from her mother. It takes me a good 15 minutes to get her fed. She's going to be a fun one :) Her mom is ornery but she's one of my favorites. I bet Suki will be too.

Right now Journey is in labor! I'll let you know tomorrow what she has. She's only 2 days overdue so it's hard to say. I'm hoping for a red heifer since they've all been black so far.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9127 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9127 Posts

Posted - May 02 2022 :  04:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure have been busy. All those sweet babies on the farm! Always loved that this time of year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last 2 weeks have been crazy! I'm a bit behind and I don't have time to post all the pictures - for some reason it's being incredibly slow right now.

Journey ended up having another black heifer. She's quite a character! For the first couple days I lock them in their hut - this way as they're figuring out how their legs work they don't get all tangled up in their chain. We've been having rain most of yesterday and today but this little girl was more than ready to come out. I let her out when I fed her milk this morning. She drank her milk then came out running! The only problem is that she wasn't used to the chain and collar or the mud. She slipped and fell and then proceeded to roll around in the mud. I don't have any pictures but WOW the girl was a mess! I imagine those of you with kids can relate LOL! Luckily for me she stays outside :)

Jasmine was almost a week overdue. She's a red cow bred to a red bull so I was expecting another big red bull calf. She really surprised me! On our 20th anniversary she had a big red and white heifer. We named her Jubilee. She's another quiet watchful one - for now. She might get a bit more ornery once she comes out. Our first calf, Freya, has figured out how to bite her grain bucket and get it out of the holder. She keeps dumping her grain and butting her bucket around! I think I'm going to have to tie the handle to the holder. Grain is way too expensive right now for her to just keep dumping it!

It's time to head out for milking. I'll try to get some pictures uploaded tonight if it's not too late when we get in and the computer is in a good mood :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  1:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is Journey and her baby.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3732 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3732 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  1:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Cow/FurBaby Mama, seems you have a lot to celebrate this Mothers Day Heather. Cow Mama is just a term of endearment.
Every year I get a Mothers Day card from my FurBabies, they are like my kids.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on May 08 2022 12:06:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sweet babies!!! I always enjoy your animal stories and pictures!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  5:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to get one picture in before milking - here's some more:

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  5:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! Wrong button LOL! I'll try again:

Can you see the orneriness in her eyes?!? I haven't come up with a good name for her yet. I was thinking Julianna, but I'm not sure it fits her :)

Here's Jasmine and her baby Jubilee:

We had our first case of a missing calf yesterday morning. We don't have any cows due at the moment so we left them in the pen together overnight. When we went out for milking yesterday morning Nathan said - the baby is gone! He was afraid mama laid on her but nope - there was no baby under mama. He went out back and checked the feed lot - no baby there either. He was very concerned that someone had stolen her! I know it may sound kind of crazy but we get all kinds of info about what animal activists are doing and unfortunately they like to let the cows loose and steal animals. We don't usually have problems like that and I'm a light sleeper. I usually hear all the cars that go by - luckily we live on a quiet road and there are very few of them! Anyway, he went to sanitize the milkers and I went to put the cows in the holding pen (our usual routine) and as I get to the other side of the barn I spot a little head among the big heads in the freestalls. Some how Jubilee got out of the maternity pen and walked across 2 rows of stalls and an alley and was laying in between 4 cows heads (the 2 rows face each other head to head and she was in the middle). It was really cute - unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.

The little kittens are getting very friendly this is what was happening while I was trying to take a picture of Jasmine and Jubilee:

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather, such fun...calving season has arrived!
I can not help but smile. My son stopped the other day, on his way home. His dad was outside, but I decided to walk out there. He had three of the sweetest, cleanest kittens!
He said he was preparing to burn a brush pile, at the job, when he found them. He took them back the next day...but no momma showed up to claim them. So for a few days they have three new babies. Hadlee has three cats already. The baby claims her youngest one, and his grandmother calls it his cat. They are so sweet.
!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  8:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many cows are you milking now?
Does your barn have a pit? When we built our barn, it would hold six cows on one side of the pit and six cows on the other side. I spent a lot of time walking the pit, checking the milkers , the teats, washing and drying the udder's, putting the treatment on, after milking, etc. I kept a saw horse at the back end of the pit. I could move it easily, climb up on it to give shots when needed. ( one morning I put a cows tail up over her back so I could give her shot. Her tail crackled, and I felt so bad...because I was afraid I had broken it.)...

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 06 2022 8:11:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1227 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1227 Posts

Posted - May 08 2022 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - I'm glad to hear your son rescued the kittens! We're currently milking 30 cows. We have 18 more heifers to add to the herd but not enough room for all them in the barn. Not sure how we're going to work all that out yet. We started milking here 19 years ago and only planned on being here a few years while we saved up to buy a farm (we're on my in-laws place). We're still looking - but that's a story I don't have time for right now. When I was a kid we milked in a double 4 pit parlor (4 on each side) so I know exactly what you mean about all the tips up and down the pit! Here we just built a flat barn parlor that only milks 3 at a time. Not very efficient but like I said we weren't planning on being here that long. And we only had 15 cows when we started. Here's a picture of it:

If anyone else has any questions at all please ask!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farm Fun Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page