nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2022 :  7:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't been on here lately - things got crazy busy! I love the names everyone is coming up with!!!! It's going to be hard to pick a winner. I'm too tired right now, but I'll go through and write them all down and make sure I have it all correct. I'll also wait for the newsletter in case someone reads it and wants to join the fun. I love that you want to get the kids involved Krista!

Denise - did you ever have a fainting goat? I think they look like so much fun LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2022 :  03:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, didn't raise goats. Max was a pet actually.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2022 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of those days!!!

I think I told the story of the manure spreader breaking before. It was finally all fixed up yesterday. The plan was to get started hauling manure first thing after morning chores were done. But, as you can guess - not much goes according to plan LOL! The heifers decided they needed to break the feed bunk and get out into the cow pasture. Not a huge deal except the gates were wide open so the tractor and spreader could get through. Took about an hour to get them back in and the feed bunk fixed. I planned on picking the wild black raspberries along our woods while Nathan was hauling. I rode the first load to make sure everything worked - yup all was good. He left me in the field to pick berries and went back to reload the spreader. We waved in passing as he went to spread the second load. By the time he came with the third load I was in the other pasture and not near the field. I heard him stop and he didn't start going again for a bit. I walked back to find out what was going on. Sure enough - something else broke on the spreader. What should have been an hour and a half job - maybe 2 hours at the most - turned into an all day event! So here I sit at 10:15pm telling you all about it while I'm waiting on the chocolate cake I'm supposed to make for our father's day get together is baking. After today there is no way I'm waiting until morning to bake it!!!! The good news is the spreader is fixed again and ready to go for tomorrow. The bad news is the power company decided to reclaim some of their right of way around the poles in the woods last fall. I don't have hardly any berries left now. I usually get a couple quarts of berries each time I pick them. This time I got about a cup of berries. Not sure it was worth the effort :) I hope you are all having a better weekend than I am so far LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3768 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3768 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2022 :  8:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather what a day you and Nathan had. Good news, I believe y’all will sleep pretty well tonight.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2022 :  7:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was true! I slept very well LOL! We had a break in the hot weather so that helped some. Tuesday it's supposed to be back to 99. It's never been that warm that I know of - and the only reason I know is because it's Nathan's birthday LOL! Bad news is Nathan tried to haul a load of manure this morning and the spreader broke again :( Hopefully we'll get it figured out soon. Something keeps causing the "chain" that pushes the manure to the back to keep breaking.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2022 :  1:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today we have ducklings hatching in the incubator. We have three of twelve so far

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2022 :  12:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are the ducklings coming Shannon? I'd love to see some pictures!!!

We had a baby girl born on Nathan's birthday. He named her Tatiana.

She's a little sweetheart! Her mama was giving us a hard time trying to train her to go into the headlocks for milking. Now that she's had her baby and discovered the grain that she was too stubborn to try before giving birth, she's settled right in and is doing great. We have another first time mama due any day now.

We have a big metal grain bin that holds a lot of grain but we were having trouble getting grain. We were getting a little bit at a time from a farmer and put it in old water tubs. Imagine my surprise when I pulled the tarp off to get grain for the cows and found this:

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2022 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woops! I hit the wrong button LOL! Here's what I found:

I'm so glad we have grain back in the bin LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2636 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2636 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2022 :  1:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness! At least it was a 4 legged, furry kind of surprise! They are cute!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  06:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We ended up hatching out 10 of 12 eggs! We will take it!!!! I love having babies wondering around!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3768 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3768 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  07:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather that is the cutest picture of the raccoons, I want to put the picture in our July newsletter.
Congratulations Shannon on your ducklings, I bet they are so cute running around. I love little ducklings!

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  6:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The babies are cute but the mess they make sure isn't LOL!!! They are destroying my flowers and my mother in laws strawberries.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing too many things at a time - I forgot to mention we had another baby girl born this morning :

She's in the hut beside Tatiana and when I was out taking her picture this afternoon Tatiana wanted some attention too. I tried to take her picture and she tried to eat my camera LOL

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2636 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2636 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  7:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a busy girl!!! I love your pictures!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3768 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3768 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2022 :  7:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another baby, wow Heather.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2022 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie K. I love your racoon babies, I would take a picture of the little opossum who comes to my porch to eat at night but it is too dark when it shows up. sure is cute though.
Your cows are beautiful.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  12:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, raccoons can do some major damage. Best to get them away from your area if possible.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  08:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish it was possible! We're surrounded by cornfields and woods. Seems like we get rid of one and 3 more show up LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is what I did for the 4th LOL! So glad we did! We stayed out until almost 10 wrapping them. About midnight the first storm rolled through and over the next day and a half they kept on coming. We ended up with over 3 inches of rain. Now we just have to wait for the field to dry out a bit so we don't make ruts when we bring them home.

Yesterday Lily had a baby girl. We named her Daisy. She's a bit ornery like her mama. To milk Lily one of us has to pull the halter through the head locks while the other one pushes from behind because she refuses to go in by herself. At least she walks in the door to the parlor easily. Some of the heifers have a hard time with that part. We're working on training 4 of them right now - it's a bit trying :)

Daisy is standing a bit funny because she's only about half an hour old in the picture. She was still figuring out how her legs work.

On the 3rd we had a cookout with my in-laws. My nephew and his fiancee brought their puppy, Winnie. One of our cats Rascal was not intimidated:

Rascal sat there watching while Winnie tried to figure out how to get to him so they could play. Not sure what he would have done if the screen wasn't between them LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2022 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had 3 more calves - one heifer and finally 2 bull calves. The photo uploader is not my friend tonight so I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow - maybe we'll get along better then LOL! Quick funny story - We've been training some heifers to come into the parlor before they have their calves. They always come in at the end of milking since they don't know what's going on yet. This morning one of the heifers came in and I noticed she showed signs of giving birth - her vulva was very swollen and very messy. I was thoroughly confused because as I asked Nathan "where is the calf?????" There was no calf in the barn and no calf in the pasture when I penned the cows up for milking. And no one was unhappy and hollering like they do when the calf goes under the fence. We went on a scavenger hunt and found him in the weeds! Scared the crap out of him when we found him - let me tell you, he can run FAST!!!! (Now that I've given him milk he's my buddy.) I'm so glad I was paying attention this morning. I'm also glad he was in the weeds in a wet part of the pasture rather than the neighbor's corn field!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2022 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One of the baby boys

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2022 :  7:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The missing treasure LOL!

"catch me if you can!"

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3768 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3768 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2022 :  7:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so, so cute. Thanks Heather!

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2022 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up about 4:30 this morning to the sound of a cow having a baby. Went out and checked and there was another baby girl! Mama and baby are both doing great. Pictures to come soon :)

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2636 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2636 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2022 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are the busiest girl that I know!!! How many babies so far? Love the pictures….thank you for sharing!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farm Fun Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page