nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  5:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love drying herbs to use for tea and cooking. Does anyone else? Or do you purchase them? What are your favorite combinations?

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

907 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
907 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanna learn!! I know that doesn’t help though. Lol.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2022 :  08:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so easy to do! Just be careful of where you plant some of them. Mint is very invasive and will spread and take over where you plant it. I have a little place that was hard to mow and flowers didn't grow well so I put mint there. It's taken over and now I don't have to mow it!

I actually got started with teas because I was looking through a catalog and most of the tea blends were things I could grow myself. A lot of them had alfalfa and red clover in them - which I have fields of for the cows - so I dried some for myself and it's wonderful! My husband even drinks some. And it's full of nutrients!

I like to hear what others are doing. It gives me new things to try - like lemon thyme this year.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

907 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
907 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2022 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This spring we decided to give herbs a shot…just a few though. Basil, parsley, thyme, and cilantro. I managed to kill the cilantro…lol. My friend also gave me some mint and lemon balm. Both on in pots so,I can keep ‘em contained. She also gave me some chives. Then we planted some chamomile that we started inside from seed.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2022 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're off to a great start! I don't like cilantro so I don't have any of that. My mint jumped out of the pot (bucket) I started it in so keep an eye on it if you don't want it to spread. Chives are my favorite! I have regular, onion, and new this year is garlic chives. The onion chives make my eyes water like real onions when I cut them! I love to run my hand over the lemon balm when I'm in the garden - it smells so good! I'm curious - do you have one herb growing really well compared to the others? Last year my basil went bonkers - I have a bunch of it left still. This year it's the parsley. I've already cut and dried it twice and it's ready to go again but I have blueberries in the dehydrator right now. Are you just using them fresh or are you drying them?

~Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Herbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page