JennRap
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jennifer
Sonora CA
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2023 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't actually sat to read an entire book in years....just too busy running my business to take time for "me". I loved to read as a child and teen. I'd sit up late on the weekend reading into the early morning hours.
Well, I've gotten a recent interest in historical fiction, a favorite of my daughter who is a high school English literature teacher. I just started a book about the depression written from the point of view of 3 sisters. Each sister tells the story from "her point of view" and of course it differs from the other sisters. My Grandmother's both told us stories of living during the Depression and during the Dust Bowl. In fact my maternal grandmother wrote a short book about her family experiences during the Dust Bowl.
Anyway, just wanted to share and see if there are any other Farmgirl Sisters out there with a similar interest. If so what books have you read? What most interests you about these eras?

Jennifer Rapoza
California - Idaho bound in 2023! <3

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  10:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to read and enjoy historical fiction. Mostly I like G.A.Henty for that kind of reading.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2023 :  10:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Historical fiction is also a favorite of mine. MaryJane posted , long ago, the book Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish. It is about Kalish's own experience growing up during the Great Depression. I have read it 3 times!! It is packed full of life and realities of the way life was challenged in these times of widespread poverty. I highly recommend it to anyone for a fun but serious book.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
  Book Discussions:  Winter Reading....historical fiction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page