Variation 1: “Half, 3-Ruffle Apron”
(You’ll need the pattern pieces from my Stitching Room workbook. Then simply print this page and follow the instructions below for making this variation.)
- ⅔ yard 45"-wide fabric A, washed (large green/pink floral in photo)
- ⅔ yard 45"-wide fabric B, washed (small light green print in photo)
- ⅔ yard 45"-wide fabric C, washed (small dark green print in photo)
- 2 yards jumbo rickrack, washed
- 1 large button
- 1 spool all-purpose sewing thread
(using pattern pieces from MaryJane’s Stitching Room, pages 27–29)
- From Fabric A: Cut out 1 apron skirt and 2 strips 3”×42″.
- From Fabric B: Cut out 1 pocket (making it 1½" longer, top to bottom, than pattern), 1 waistband piece, 2 side ties and 2 strips 3″×42″.
- From Fabric C: Cut out 1 pocket (making it 1½" longer, top to bottom, than pattern), 1 waistband piece, 2 side ties and 2 strips 3″×42″.
(Note: when cutting out side ties, mark notch on one end only.)
Assembling, Stitching, and Finishing Details
(¼″ seam allowance unless otherwise indicated)
- Make three long strips by stitching the two 3″×42″ strips of each fabric together, right sides together. Press seams open. The strip from Fabric B will be the center of your ruffle. With right sides together, take the strip from Fabric A and sew it to one long side of the center ruffle and then the strip from Fabric C to the other long side of the center ruffle. Press seams open. Hem the bottom edge of strip from Fabric A by folding over ¼″ twice, press and stitch. At the top of the strip from Fabric C, stitch a gathering row ⅛″ from the raw edge and again ¼″ from the raw edge.
- With right sides together, and matching centers and top edges, pin the large ruffle to the apron skirt bottom and side edges, easing the gathers to fit. Stitch a ⅜″ seam. Press seam allowance toward apron skirt and topstitch close to seam line.
- Place pocket pieces from Fabric C and Fabric B right sides together and stitch a ¼″ seam, leaving 2″ open along one side. Clip corners and turn right side out folding in ¼″ along 2″ opening, press. To make pocket flap, place pocket with the Fabric C side facing you, fold over top edge of pocket 1¼″ and topstitch in place. Pin pocket to apron according to pocket placement on pattern. Trace the edge of the pocket with rickrack so the middle of the rickrack (where you will stitch to apron skirt) is over the stitching. Stitch in place.
- Take the waistband and side tie pieces from Fabric C and place right sides together along short ends, matching notches. Stitch the side ties to the waistband. Press seams open. Repeat for waistband and side ties from Fabric B. Place waistband/tie pieces, right sides together and stitch a ½″ seam along one long edge. Turn under ½″ along short edges of side ties and remaining long edge of waistband/tie pieces and press. Fold waistband/tie pieces together, wrong sides together and press along stitched edge. (Note: in our photo, we used Fabric C for the outside of the waistband, but you may choose either side to be the outside of your waistband. The same can apply to the pocket, whatever look you want for your own apron!)
- Along the top edge of the apron skirt (but not including the large ruffle ends), stitch a gathering row ⅛″ from the raw edge and again ¼″ from the raw edge. Adjust the gathers so that the apron skirt measures the length of the waistband, apr. 16½″. Match the center of the waistband to the center of the apron skirt and sandwich the apron skirt between the waistband pieces and sandwich the ends of the large ruffle between the side ties. Pin in place and topstitch the waistband/tie piece ⅛" from the edge around all four sides.
- Sew button to pocket as shown in photo.
Download Instructions for
Variation 2: “Bibbed, 3-Ruffle Apron”