Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
5. Heirlooms Forever!
- As you plan your garden in the spring, look over heirloom varieties of seeds.
- Read the book “Gardening with Heirloom Seeds” by Lynn Coulter. (The book required for this badge is available on loan from MaryJanesFarm; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Replace 5% of your plantings with heirloom varieties.
- Learn how to save seeds.
- Save the seeds of your heirloom plantings.
- Plant at least 25% of your garden to heirloom varieties.
- Continue to save the seeds of your heirloom varieties and plant them in your garden.
- Plant 50% heirloom varieties.
- Offer your excess saved seeds to friends, relatives and other farmgirls. Explain the need behind saving the heirloom varieties that you have chosen.
January, 2008 Edition