Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
14. Rootin’ Tootin
- Identify five different root vegetables that can grow in your area. Ashamed to admit you aren’t entirely certain what a root vegetable is? Let’s start there!
- In the produce section of your grocery store, find out how many different root vegetables are available. Are any of the vegetables in the store on your list? Where were they grown?
- Grow two different root vegetables in your garden or in planters. Cook a meal for your family with each.
- Research if there are any native root vegetables that grow in your area. If there are, where would you find them growing?
- Grow three more root vegetables in your garden or in planters.
- Research the best way to store some of them (methods may be different, depending on the veggie) and store as much of your bounty as you can for later use. Now we know why our ancestors had root cellars!
January, 2015 Edition