Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
12. Speak for the Trees
- Acquire a tree identification guide that includes trees local to your area. Remember that your local library is a valuable resource, as is the Bureau of Land Management (visit BLM.gov for contact information for your area).
- Take a walk out your front door and identify at least three trees growing in your yard and along your street. Are the trees you identified native to your area?
- Research how a good windbreak is planted and how it is useful to the surrounding area.
- Go to a local park and identify at least three of the trees growing there. Are they native to your area or are they transplants?
- Take your identification guide out to the woods. Identify as many different trees as you can.
- Pay attention to how each tree grows in relation to the surrounding vegetation. How does each tree compete with other vegetation in order to grow?
- Bring along a garbage sack and pick up any litter that you find.
January, 2015 Edition