Earning Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badges
10. Wild Game
- Research different types of wild game.
- Research safe handling of wild game meats.
- Research the laws in your area concerning wild game. A good place to start is your state’s Department of Fish & Game website.
- Successfully complete a hunter safety program.
- Go hunting with someone who has a license.
- Make your own jerky or sausage.
- Buy a hunting license and go hunting.
- Follow proper care in the field while dressing.
- Process your game or visit a local processor to learn about the following:
- importance of temperature control
- cutting and the location of various cuts
- curing and smoking
- Use as much of the animal as possible for culinary purposes and otherwise.
January, 2012 Edition