Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 No Fuss Biscuits!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic No Fuss Biscuits! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  12:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane did it again ladies! She made her yummy biscuits even yummier and easier to make! This is her own very special recipe that she emailed me and I tried them out. All you need is some of her budget mix and water (or milk or buttermilk!) Also, it sounds like they are working on a Gluten-Free Budget mix using rice flour too!

No-Fuss-Budget Biscuits
2 cups Budget Mix
1 cup milk, buttermilk, or water

Yield: eighteen 2-inch biscuits

Preheat oven to 450°F. In a bowl, add the liquid to the Budget Mix and stir until a moist and sticky but not smooth dough forms. Do not overmix. Use a spoon to scoop apricot-sized dollops of batter; use another spoon for dropping the batter onto a greased cookie sheet, spacing the biscuits 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until bottoms are a light golden brown. Serve hot.

For traditional rolled biscuits, cut 5 tablespoons cold butter into Budget Mix until pea-sized before adding liquid. Decrease liquid to 3/4 cup. Transfer the smooth dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/2-inch thick. Cut out 2-inch rounds. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet as above.

For no-cholesterol biscuits, use 1/3 cup olive oil instead of butter. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake as above.

For shortcake biscuits, add 1 tablespoon sugar. Use cream for added richness. Cut 3-inch rounds and drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake as above (yields twelve 3-inch biscuits).

You really don't need to grease the cookie sheet! They turn out great. I am always a little skeptical when recipes say that you don't need to grease the cookie sheet. :)

The other day when I made these, I could hear Nora starting to wake up but I hadn't had breakfast yet. So I stirred up a batch, popped them in the oven and was able to pick Nora up before she had really woken up! I was able to munch on breakfast while feeding Nora too!

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Apr 30 2007 4:08:43 PM

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  9:24:29 PM  Show Profile
MMMMmmmmm - I'm all for quick and easy lately, for sure! Thanks, Alee and MaryJane for the great recipes and variations! I'm thinking that shortcake biscuits and tea just might be on tomorrow's afternoon menu - what fun! I just love Budget Mix - I've lately been hooked on making crackers, and I can't wait to move into "biscuit mode!"

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic No Fuss Biscuits! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page