Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Ok I hate to admit this but a few mice never bothered me.....even their constant trail of droppings in my cupboards and closets doesn't freak me out....I have given up on my cat...he just doesn't care anymore. Generally I just make a clean sweep...if you know what I mean once or twice a month but now I am going to be showing the place to prospective buyers...folks who may not be as tolerant as I am ...so what to do...I can't bare to use those death traps or poison...do the live traps work?

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile
This month's issue of Backwoods Home magazine has two great articles on gettin rid of mice and other rodents. I think they are online but they don't ususally have all their articles online each month, so you might be better off with the hard copy,
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  8:15:11 PM  Show Profile
just don't do what they did on the movie "mousehunt"
If you have never seen that movie you are in for one huge bout of laughter.
wish I knew a solution for you, but my folks used to use de-con and little mouse traps behind the stove...and some sort of super sticky stuff that they'd stick their heads into and become trapped and well..die in it. but thankfully all of that stuff works rather rapidly..but I don't know how you'd do the live taps or where you'd find them at.
used to also stuff the mouse holes with brillo metal scouring pads.
They wouldn't chew through that...and if they did..well the metal shaving would also kill them.

best of luck to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com and
http://photosbytina.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  8:47:39 PM  Show Profile
For me, nothing works better or more humanely than good old fashioned snap traps. In most cases, the death is pretty much instantaneous and clean up is as easy as putting the whole trap in a bag and throwing it away, although I personally release the little body to my cat who takes care of the rest. The trick is choosing a bait that sticks well to the trap and can't be licked off or stolen without triggering the trap. Little pieces of candy bar or fig newtons work great. We've caught as many as 15 in only 2 days (in a home that had been sitting vacant). We just set a ton of traps, check them once or twice a day, and keep replacing them until they stop catching mice.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Reepicheep
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:01:42 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried the plug in pest control units? They plug right into a regular electrical outlet. Depending on the brand, one unit will cover so many square feet (I think the ones we used to have covered up to 2000 square feet). The unit sends some sort of frequency through your walls that is undetectible to the human ear, but it will drive an indoor pets like hamsters, gerbils, etc. crazy so you can't use it around them. The units really do work!

http://naturalpaths.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile
We use the snap traps too, I can't stand to see them struggling in the glue traps. Last year, twice we caught two mice in one trap in our cabin. They were side by side in the trap, looked like they were racing for the peanut butter. Photo finish - you both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  10:10:39 AM  Show Profile
I hate snap traps too, but I've had to use them in the past. If you really must kill them, I think the snap trap is way more humane than the glue pad where they slowly starve. Someone does make a catch and release glue trap, although I'm not sure where you can buy them. My apartment neighbors once brought me a mouse they had caught in one of these traps. They didn't want to kill it, but they were too squeamish to get near it in order to release it! The instructions said to pour cooking oil on the glue to dissolve it and release the mouse. It worked, although I had to pry him out a bit with a chopstick. Mouse seemed fine at the end of it, but it was quite a production.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  12:25:16 PM  Show Profile
GRAPHIC STORY ALERT!!!!!

My sister used a glue trap and the mouse got stuck and got away but one of his legs and part of his face were left on the trap!!!!! I WOULDN"T USE THOSE!

I use the snap traps. The mouse dies instantly.

If you use DECON and a cat or other animal eats the mouse it can kill the cat as well!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
can I just say eww to some of the stuff I have read.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile
(just to clarify..this was more than 20 yrs ago I was talking about in my previous post...actually nearly 25 yrs ago or so)
I'm sure they have more humane ways of dealing with a mouse/mice now/as mentioned. So..best of wishes.
and yeah..anything dead is eeew..anything maimed is even eeewier(if that is a word..ha)
hope you find a solution that works well.
and if you want a laugh about the whole thing..check out that movie I mentioned..ha.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile
ok..I did a search on google for "humane mouse removal" and here is what I found:

hope it helps...

Predator Urine
We have often used and heard of others successfully using Predator Urine to rid their yards, garages, etc. of varmints! We are fortunate that our local hardware store carries these products but if yours does not here is the Web Site: www.predatorpee.com/ They seem like nice people and in fact referred us to a local distributor thus saving shipping costs!
Jerry

Cats Are Still Best
Get a cat, the living mousetrap. The cat will never get tired of going out into the garage to find mice. The ones she kills, she will bring to you and the ones she doesn't will have run off and stayed off, for the smell of cat will keep them away. On top of this expert 'round the clock service you will have a barrel of fun playing with the cat indoors. You will hardly even notice the cat taking over your life and your home. By then you will not care. Tip: Get your mouser at a local animal shelter. Ours had to put down 600 unwanted cats last month but gives coupons for vet services for those who are adopted.
NEW

Instead of a Cat
This solution does work, and it is short of getting a cat. Get some USED kitty littler from a friend's cat. place it in small tubs (margarine) in several places around the garage. Mice think "smell like cat--must be a cat". Same with gophers pour it down the hole. Wear gloves and do not use if you are expecting.
Blanch T.

Remove Food Source
The best solution for getting rid of mice is to get rid of their food source. Find out what is attracting the mice to the garage and get rid of it or seal it up. We had a mouse problem in our home and did this. We put our garbage in a sealed container, wiped up any food spills, sealed up pet food, and didn't leave food sitting out. Our mouse problem disappeared!
Melissa G

Moth Balls
I use this method and it keeps my garage completely clear of all living creatures. Buy a net laundry bag for washing nylons and other delicate fabrics at Wal Mart. Buy 5 boxes of moth balls. Put them in the bag and hang it in your garage near the door. That's all there is to it. I use this in my out building and in the storage facility that I rent. No bugs, no mice, and no birds.
Stephen

Chew Proof
To prevent mice from gaining entry to your garage, stop up any openings (i.e., around door frames, holes in baseboards, etc) with steel wood pads. Mice will not chew through these!
K.

Humane Traps
I thought up a way to help my mother with her mouse problem, and it worked pretty good, without killing the mice. Build a "pit trap." You need a narrow,deep, smooth sided container- a five gallon bucket might work, but make sure it has no scratches on the inside walls. You place a ramp up to the lip of the bucket and place some sort of smelly bait (peanut butter, cheese) in the bottom. It works best if you have some sort of lid on the bucket with a hole about 3 inches in diameter that the mice can drop down through, as mice can jump rather high. This way, they will hit the lid when trying to leap out. If the bucket has any scratches or grooves on the inside, they mice will be able to climb out.

To release them, you simply turn the bucket on its side with the hole at the bottom. Make sure you are some distance from your house (and anyone else's) when you release them, or they may move right back in! Depending on your mouse problem, you may have to do this several times.
Rebecca

Pepper Liberally
This trick works great and won't kill the mice: sprinkle ground cayenne around the garage (inside & out), and especially near entry holes. The critters can't stand the stuff!
DJM

Try Pellets
Having lived on dairies and in rural areas for all of my adult life, I have had to deal with mice on occassion. I found my answer in a product called *Just One Bite*. I have never in the years I've used it had a mouse die in the house. I put the pellets out in jar lids and within 2 or 3 days the mice are gone. I can't recommend it highly enough!
Katharine W.

A 'Good-Bye' Mint
Mice hate the scent of peppermint extract. Simply sprinkle *pure* peppermint extract on the items in your garage you don't want the mice in or on. A friend of mine has used this in the interior of his antique car as well as on it's upholstery and never had a problem. It needs to be repeated monthly.
E.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  08:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Oh! The pit trap in Tina's post above really works. My mom used to tell me a story about the time her gerbils all got loose in her parents' basement, and this was exactly the way she described capturing them.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I am totally laughing at the above post by Tina...I WISH the mice were in my garage or shed...the critters are in my kitchen ( and my kitchen is VERY neat) the little mouses are in the drawers the china cabinet.....I even found droppings in the towels in the downstairs linen closet! THE CAT idea, well forget it...they must be best friends with my cat...he hasn't caught a one....I am going for the snap traps...alas they are the best and yeah I guess the most humane way to deal with it I just hate finding them ...ewwwww

So many interests so little time!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:48:30 PM  Show Profile
I had a Cairn Terrier once that was a good mouser. He got all the spiders, too. Anyway, I like the preditor urine idea. Trappers use it to bait traps. And it is also useful to keep rabbits out of your garden. As in FOREVER. You just need a little bit, and just a warning, trapping lures can smell pretty strong!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  04:56:46 AM  Show Profile
i noticed that 'mouse poison' wasn't listed? how's come?

we live in the forest .. therefore have 'field mice' from time to time .. i get those little pellet boxes .. they must eat it and go looking for water or something? i've never found a mouse body or smell anywhere .. soooo .. it must be working cuz' within days of putting it out .. no more 'mouse poo-poo'! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Around my house we get mice too. They have never been in the house part but they do get in the garage. Or should I say they did, until we got Willy our cat. He catches everything, chipmunks as well. And if for some reason he misses one, our dogs will get them. We have two labs, and I didnt think they would even be interested, but boy was I wrong. Maybe it helps that we tell them to "get them wabbits"! ;)

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  10:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
i use pellets too as that is what my grandmother did and it works real well

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  10:25:27 AM  Show Profile
I have always lived not in the country when I was a kid and we didn't really have mice. But when we moved out here about 12 years ago, they got all up in my house. I was pregnant and for some strange reason I could smell the nasty boogers. I told my husband and he thought I was nuts, then we found them. We did the traps which totally freaked me out. After that someone told us to try "JUST ONE BITE" you get it up under your house or wherever you can where they are getting in. We use it every Spring and Fall. We have only had them once, when my husband forgot to do it. They just eat it and go away and die. I hope that doesn't sound mean. My cat will sometimes catch them, but I much rather them go off and die. My girls and I just can't hardly stand stuff like that. We just cannot help it.
Michelle-- who is getting the heeby jeebies thinking about those little things.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  10:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Good mouse advice! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the mouse smell? Every time the humidity is up we get this awful urine smell. It's in the unfinished part of our house. So I'll try anything.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Boy I'm glad I have 8 cats!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My dog is a great mouser! She digs up mice nests in the bag yard and eats them! One summer when we were spending a lot of time out in a field behind our apartment at the time, I couldn't figure out why she wasn't eating hardly any dog food. Then one day I watched her really closely as she was playing, and I realized she was mousing!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My son and daughter-in-law live in a mobile home on 10 acres in the country, and have a big mice problem in the house. They have small kids and a dog, so do NOT use anything that can hurt children or pets. Right now they use glue traps, and caught 5 in the kitchen just last night. YUCK! They've tried finding all the "entrances" into the house, but you know how hard that is to find them all! There are a lot of good suggestions in here. Anyone have any NEWER ideas? I don't like the idea of my 2-year-old twin grandsons around all those mice!

Thanks!

Linda O

Edited by - quiltee on May 17 2009 4:46:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Tell them to get cats. That is the best way to get rid of the mice. We lived on 5 acres in a mobile home and I had 4 cats. I never had problems with them in the house. But I sure did find dead ones on the porch or sidewalks every day!

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  8:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda-

Mice really hate peppermint essential oil. Your sone and Daughter in Law can buy some at www.getmint.com and help a good cause. Have them swab around the baseboards with the stuff full strength and then have them make a rinse mop water for the kitchen. The more they use the more the mice will avoid the area- so if the kitchin is regularly wiped down in minty water they will probably avoid it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  9:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks - I'll definitely pass this info on. Thanks for all the helpful hints.

There are a few neighbor cats. They have donkeys, horse, llama, alpacas, chickens, goats, and a dog - but no cats LOL!

I'll mention the peppermint oil again - I think they used it some.

Linda O
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Erin, Kilz is the best thing to use to "seal" smelly areas. You paint it on and let it dry.

My parents bought a house in FL a long time ago that had the garage closed in and made into a living room. Well the prior owners had cats in there that used to urinate in one specific corner. My parents tried everything to get rid of the smell, and noting worked until they painted it with Kilz, that's the name brand.

Same thing with us in our used manufactured home, prior owners had dogs who obviously weren't house broken. The place really reeked. I painted the subfloors with Kilz and never smelled that again. And we have a dog and cats in the house and not one of them has ever gone over and messed where I had sealed up that urine stench.

**Now back to the reason for the post, in our situation, I think my cats get tired of playing with the mice they bring up to the porch and that's when they get in our home. This year especially there seems to be quite an influx of mice all over the property. I also think I'm feeding my cats too much or I wouldn't be seeing so many mice everywhere.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Mouse, mice...too many Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page