Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  2:38:50 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I did today, was press some HUGE maple leaves, I don't know why they are so big this year. Anyway, I will be pressing a lot more as the colors change, but then I got to thinking, {sometimes I do that} what do you do with them once they are pressed? Any brilliant ideas out there?? And may I say again, the leaves are huge this year!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile
I just googled this subject, wasn't to helpful. Where is Martha? She is out of jail right? She would know what to do.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  5:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I would guess you could use them the same as you'd use dried flowers.
decoupage it to the top of a a box?
laminate it onto something with contact paper?
I used some dried flowers to update an old clock face once. I can imagine that looking really nice with a bunch of multi-colored leaves. Or with just one huge one in the middle.
What about sewing them onto the hem edge of a curtain...sandwiched between the curtain fabric and either tulle or some sheer material? You could sew huge-leaf-sized pockets for them and then stitch down the last edge....not very washing machine safe, but it'd look neat.

I post more ideas if I come up with any.

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
They have "floating" frames now, where the leaf would be sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The background would be the wall you hang it on--if you hung it in the window it would be like stained glass. . .just a thought.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I love those ideas! got to go find some leaves now! My little boy would love doing that with me.

read...post....sew....read...post....sew...all the day long..la la la la

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:49:46 PM  Show Profile
We had a 80th birthday party for my mom, and I made wonderful place mats using that old fashioned wax paper with
leaves ironed between them. It sure made the tables look lovely - they would probably last longer if they were between
clear contac paper even. I've also tied a little piece of thread to the stems and let them hang from the valance curtain in the
kitchen - its pretty.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  02:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey gal pal! Do you host Thanksgiving dinner? You could get a magic marker in gold or silver and write the names of your guests on them like nature place cards. A few would be beautiful spray painted silver or gold or copper and hung with other sparkly Christmas tree ornaments. Or make or buy (can you say "Thrift Store"?) a wreath that is fluffy enough to tuck them in here and there. Maybe even glue some acorns or pinecones on too? You could take a glass vase or other kind, and if the leaves are a little flexible still you could glue them around the vase overlapping a little, tie up with pretty French wire ribbon or raffia and put some flowers and interesting branches inside.... You beat the band with YOUR creativity, so post the pics when you are done!! I LOVE the floating frame idea, too!! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:07:15 AM  Show Profile
HEY girls, these ideas are sinking in, see what happens when we work together!!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Nance, PS- I need your address for here in the states because I'm stupid and lost it. I forgot that this subject of foilage would be dear to your heart, which is why I have a fence around my property when you are in town.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:35:38 AM  Show Profile
We have done the placemats with them before and they come out real nice. I have used smaller ones to decorate the sides of thos square candle they have. You just melt a little wax on the side and press them on there. We use a piece of waxed paper and an iron to melt the wax on the side where you position the leaf then it sticks to the whole piece better.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I remember when we were living in Chester, WV, my mom and I gathering pretty leaves to press. Actually, it's one of my favorite memories. We usually cut them out and used them as bookmarks, or punched holes and strung them as garland around our house. I'm sure you could do just about anything, I guess.

I like Holly's idea about hanging them in a glass frame in the window. Would be sooo pretty!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile
sometimes they can be painted on if they have not become brittle in the drying process. Then they can be framed. I have seen beautiful artwork painted onto leaves and bark in magazines like "Birds and Blooms"

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  7:02:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm not exactly sure of the process for this, but my grandmother would dip colored leaves in melted paraffin to preserve them. I suppose the wax seals in a little moisture so the color lasts and they don't get brittle. Sort of the same concept as ironing them between sheets of wax paper.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  1:37:58 PM  Show Profile
I just came across a craft book that had painted leaves that were edged in glitter along the bottom edges and then hung by a ribbon tied aroung the stem. You could do this without painting them first.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Faith,
that sounds like it would be real pretty. Maybe they could be dipped in glue and then glitter?

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:05:43 PM  Show Profile
I think I will try glitter on a few and see how they come out.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  9:48:20 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to see them if you can do that, Nancy!

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  05:57:37 AM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl, I remember preservng leaves like this: Old crayons (paper removed) were grated on a cheese grater, then the shavings were sprinkled on a sheet of waxed paper. We kids would lay a leaf down, sprinkle with more crayon shavings, top with another sheet of waxed paper, and then iron on low until the wax melted. I'm sure mom used a pressing cloth to save the iron. We would make mobiles from coat hangers, or hang in the windows. Granted, this is not the most elegant method, but it can be fun for the kids.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic PRESSED LEAVES Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page