levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  04:26:14 AM  Show Profile
Husband got a six point buck Saturday evening and so I was wondering if anyone had any recipes they could share? Also, has anyone ever processed their own meat? We have done it before but we ended up canning most of it.
thanks,
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  04:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Denise, just sent you an email.

Congrats to your hubby!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  07:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations to your hubby!! And you too..how fun! I have been processing game meat my whole life. My biggest hint is to be sure to remove ALL fat, bone and connective tissue..that is where most all the gamey taste comes from. Makes a huge difference. If you have any questions just ask me...I am more than willing to help. I am hoping to have some here soon to process..husband isn't a hunter, but I am helping a family learn how and will be getting some of the meat...wonderful!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Giraffe4223
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dani
Esko MN
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  08:21:05 AM  Show Profile
My family does processing as a business for Deer, Pork and Beef. I have quite a few venison recipies if you are looking for some! Also when you can it, what do you add to it??

Dani in Minnesota

Edited by - Giraffe4223 on Oct 22 2007 08:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Dani,
When we canned it we just added water and salt. Well, the water that we heated it in. I used the Ball canning book and it has to be done in a presser cooker. We put the meat in enough water to cover it and then brought it to a boil to heat it through then packed it in the hot jars and poured that water over it.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I don't really understand how to make it up into different cuts, roasts, steaks etc.
Do you do any of that? Any help will be appreciated. Does it have to be cold out when it's hanging for the meat to keep till you can process it and how do you keep it cold?

I'm not sure how much this one weighs but I didn't think I had room to put it all in the fridge till I could get to it.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 22 2007 10:38:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:22:46 AM  Show Profile
Yep. We cut it into the muscle bundles (you will be able to see the muscle bundles and just remove the thin layer of tissue that keeps them together) when possible and then slice it into steaks..butterflying the ones that are too small to make them twice as big, or leaving in roast size. Anything small gets cut into chunks for stewmeat or strips for jerky. I do lots of jerky. I grind up what I need for burger with the grinder attachment on my kitchen aid mixer. I just grind as needed..from what I have frozen in chunks or strips. Down the legs is a good example of meat that is too small for steaks or roasts..but very useable!
As for the hanging/cooling..yes..it needs to be cool. If it is too hot out to hang it (covered in a gauze type game bag to keep the flies off if there are any..and high enough up to keep it out of dogs or cat's reach...cut it into quarters (don't forget the backstrap..the best part!!) and refridgerate. I have had to keep a couple quarters in a cooler with frozen water bottles until I could get it all processed. It is cold enough here right now to hang in the garage and not worry....but may not be as cold where you are.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  6:38:02 PM  Show Profile
We had very tasty venison loin chops a few weeks ago. We coated one side of each chop in cracked peppercorns, seared them in a skillet on the stovetop then transferred them to a 400 degree oven to finish. While the meat rested, the skillet went back on the stovetop and we sauteed a few shallots in butter, then added red wine and a touch of beef stock to make a sauce. So good! We served them with roasted rosemary potatoes.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have never done the actual processing, but I love cooking it. Two of my favortie ways to fix venison is in stirfrys with lots of ginger and as roast in the crockpot with sage and garlic. Those spices really compliment the wild flavor and bring it out in a good way.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile
My Mom would soak the meat in salted water for a few hours to get the gamey taste out.(roast size) She would brown it and then use her crock pot and add some beef broth or just water place onion slices and bacon slices on top of it and slow cook it for hours and that meat would just fall apart. It was delicious. The steaks are really good too. We just treat them like beef steaks and add onion powder and garlic powder salt and pepper and pan fry or grill. We also at times saute onions green peppers and mushrooms and then put them on top of the steaks.My daughter makes several chili recipes and also uses a venison ground meat mixture and makes wonderful meat loaf. We lived on wild game when we lived in Canada and all my life my Dad hunted. The meat is so good for you because it is low in fat and all natural. The only thing with venison is to keep it moister than a lot of meats,because the lack of fat can make it drier.
Wow, I hope my son in law gets a deer this year!

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  6:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the ideas and help.
Jenny,
We ended up taking it to the butcher beause the weather is still quite warm here and no place to really keep it cool till we could get to it. The cost wasn't to bad for processing. He dropped it off yesterday and we will probably pick it up on Wednesday. Quick anyway!
I do want to do it myself next time if it is at all possible.

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I just send you a few more venison recipes.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  6:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  10:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey...don't forget..there are some wonderful seasoning mix recipes in MaryJane's big book for venison...I love them all!! They are especially good with the burger.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  04:10:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder Jenny!

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny. Of course our Queen Bee would have this covered! Now, how about a Venison Bakeover??? There's a recipe challenge for us all, and I bet we could come up with variations that are really GOOD!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  4:28:33 PM  Show Profile
oooooooh...great idea.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  11:12:09 AM  Show Profile
I love to use ground venison in place of hamburger in chili and spaghetti sauce. I actually think that a basic Chili is much better with deer!
~Liz
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:40:35 PM  Show Profile
The best tip I ever received was to parboil the venison in apple juice before cooking. I normally roast the tenderloin or cut the hindquarter into chunks, bread it and fry it. The apple juice takes a lot of that gamey flavor out.

I also like to roast venison until it's fork tender, shred it and mix it with sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise (you can add celery too). It's better than chicken salad - and I'm a Southern girl through and through!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  05:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer,
That sounds good. I'm going to half to try it. How much apple juice would you use to do a roast? Maybe 4 or 5 lbs.
thanks.

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:05:00 AM  Show Profile
You can dilute the apple juice with water, Denise. I use just enough to cover the roast. I boil it until the "foam" comes to the top and then pop it into the oven in a covered pan with a little vegetable (or peanut) oil.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  10:34:20 AM  Show Profile
I had a surprise at my door this morning--free venison! We let a group of hunters hunt in our bush every year, and one showed up with a box of meat for me today! They gave us chops and neck roasts, all wrapped from the butcher.

I was going to ask for recipes today, and searched first, then found this thread--how timely!

I had heard of soaking the meat in milk to take out the gamey taste. Anyone else tried this? I think I'll try the apple juice idea.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  11:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I think the apple juice would be better. Get all that fat and connective tissue off ..that will help more than anything (bone too!!!!)

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic venison recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page