Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I researched the difference between grass-fed beef and corporately raised beef. I watched the DVD's Food Inc., Our Daily Bread, and In Defense of Food, along with reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I read MaryJane's "ieatmeat" article. Researched where my local connections are for obtaining organic, grass-fed meats.

I decided I can no longer eat non-organic meats from CAFO's! I will no longer patronize fast food establishments (unless it is to get a salad while traveling!) I found two markets within 30 miles of me that sell grass-fed, organic meats (One of them even has buffalo!)”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedenss Merit Badge!

“Called the family together and we discussed the emergencies that could affect our family and the rural area we live in. My son was concerned about getting my medicine in the event of a large scale disaster. We came up with some alternatives. We also discussed job loses and other temporary things that could have an impact on us. We don't have a basement for a storm shelter, so other plans had to be worked out for that, too. Luckily, my youngest son lives very close and his house could serve as a shelter.

It feels good to know we have a plan in place, even if it might have to be modified in the event of a large scale disaster. We are also storing water and food for an emergency. For Christmas my son got me several items for a go-bag.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“One of the classes I teach at Mohican Outdoor School is an introduction to geology. We have 100 foot cliffs that are part of the Black Hand Sandstone chain that goes from Mohican to Newark, over 40 miles away. I had a Girl Scout troop come to the school this past Saturday, so I did a little more research to share with them about the rock cycle and how we use minerals in our everyday lives.

The girls had a good time and wonderful hike as we explored the Hemlock Falls area and looked at different items I was able to find to share how we use minerals. They especially liked the flint and the story behind how the Black Hand Sandstone got its name.

Unfortunately, The cliff with the Native hand print got blown up when they built the Erie Canal!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have to laugh when I think about this one! My daughter-in-law went shopping with me last month and I said I needed to get six bags, so she bought them for me! Then the next week I used them again and had to buy several more. I really like the ones our store has with the canvas handles - so much more sturdy. I have finally gotten in the habit of putting the bags BACK in the car so they are there when I go to the store. (I was laughing because we kept buying new bags every time we went to the store!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Arlene Woods (Whirlwindwoman, #7241) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have always recycled. Out west (in Ogden, Utah) the city picks up the recycling but here in Ohio our rural area does not have a recycling program. I keep separate bins for anything burnable, aluminum cans, glass and tin, and the compost pile.

It has taken a while for my sons family to separate things out, but they are getting better at it. My son had never had a compost pile before so he hasn't seen the benefits of it yet. My 17 year old grandson likes to be in charge of burning the boxes, paper, and other trash that doesn't fit in a recycling bin. My youngest son picks up the aluminum cans for us.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:24:54 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“My husband is a carpenter, cabinet maker, wood turner and knife maker and has been for all the years we’ve been married (48 years). We have salvaged, rescued, repurposed and refinished numerous pieces of furniture as well as have built new pieces. We have done all kinds of research into all options of paint, varnish, upholstery and fasteners there are out there, striving to use products that are eco-friendly but will be durable, practice and non-toxic. These are projects that we have worked on together and I have done a lot of the preparation and finish work myself. Our projects have included a small chest of drawers that had sat out in the weather for a long time and was warped and the finish was pretty much destroyed; an antique rocker that needed a new rocker; chest of drawers needing totally new paint job to cover ugly, bright colored paint, building a round dining table from walnut; smaller pieces such as jewelry boxes, etc.

Completed this year is a makeover repair job on our loveseat which had been seriously damaged by our cat scratching on it. The right front corner below the arm was shredded with the foam coming out. It took a lot of consideration of possible things to do short of re-upholstery, which was really couldn’t afford, or throwing it out, which we didn’t want to do.

After examination of the construction of the loveseat for where there was wood framing, where there were metal working parts as both sides of it are recliners, I looked into “patching” it with upholstery samples, heavy duty placemats, etc. I know that some folks use doilies to cover this kind of damage but I knew that would not be adequate. Matching the colors and texture of the upholstery was a challenge. Another challenge was how to do the repair on the front of the arm because of the padding.

I found a throw rug in coordinating colors and a pattern that would work well, that was rubber backed. The measurements were just right to use a hammer-tacker/stapler to attach it to the wooden frame over the entire area of the side, front to back, top to bottom and down the back edge. I wrapped it around the front covering all of the damaged area, applied Gorilla Glue to the edges where I was unable to staple to a frame, securing it with long straight pins to cure.

We are happy with the result and the cat is more inclined to use her scratching post than the furniture. It took a day to complete the project but was a reasonable solution and quite economical. She has done the same thing to both ends of our sofa and that is the next project which will be an ever greater challenge.

I forgot to take a "before" pic, but took one of our sofa which is pretty much that same. Pics are posted in the Farmgirl Connection Merit Badge Chic-Chat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“As with the previous two merit badge levels, my meditation is done with daily prayer and Bible Study. This has been a lifelong practice and will continue to be so.

I learned long ago how to meditate while walking. It's pretty much a focus on prayer, recalling Scriptures and singing praise and worship songs, or hymns.

I live in the country and am able to walk along an irrigation canal bank most of the time unless there's deep snow or mud. It's peaceful, quiet and the air is fresh . . . lending very well to meditating while walking.

Another practice I engage in is journaling, especially things I'm grateful for. My mediation practices of prayer, Bible study and singing are my foundation, my anchor!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“Wyoming is the home to some beautiful creations... majestic mountains, vast prairie lands, crystal clear rivers and a plethora of animals. Grand Teton, Yellowstone, fish hatcheries, wildlife refuges, and multiple historic sites can be found here. Multiple indigenous tribes inhabited Wyoming from the beginning, including the Crow, Shoshone, Arapaho, and the Lakota Sioux. This diverse state offers so many positive attributes, and yet it can also be isolating. This fact, along with a lack of available mental health services has lent it self to creating one of the highest ranking states in suicide.

The closest city to where we live - Gillette - is considered to be the "Suicide Capital"of Wyoming. I'm hoping to work with the City and County Government, as well as the Campbell County Prevention Center to help change this!

Prior to moving to Wyoming, we knew isolation was an issue. We also knew that drug and alcohol abuse is high due to the reservations and isolation... what we didn't consider was how high the suicide rate would be, including regarding YOUNG children! It is staggering!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“Friday nights around 7 PM you will find my hubby, our seven children, and me sitting at our dining room table playing a family game. This has become a favorite family time (along with a great way to make sure the house is clean since we are not allowed to play unless everything is put away!). We generally play until 10, though there have been nights where the older children did not go to bed until midnight!!!

At 7:30, every night, with exception of Friday (which then is at 6:30), you will find all of us sitting in our living room, our Bibles open, reading the Scriptures out loud. For the younger children, we read one word at a time and have them repeat it. We go around from youngest to oldest, reading two verses at a time, discussing them as we read.

Family time - be it our nightly Bible time or our weekly game night are family favorites! We have rediscovered some of our old favorites, such as Phase 10 and Candyland, as well as discovering some new (to us) games such as Life and Headbandz. We also have a monthly movie night, which consists of having a themed dinner that goes along with the movie, sometimes a craft, watching the movie, and a movie themed dessert. Family time is extremely important to us!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I love to write and I have been working on stories for as long as I cam remember. I am always writing something. I just finished the outline, almost three hundred pages, of a young adult novel. Now that the outline is finished, I have to flesh it out and make it more real.

It's coming out great. I can't wait until my characters start dragging me this way and that as they tell me their stories.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“Last year I challenged myself to write a full length historical novel. I did and I titled it 'Caroline's Promise' The novel has 367 pages and 90,408 words. I love working on it. It was hard work, especially when writing was the very last thing that I wanted to do but I put my butt in the chair, my hands on the keyboard and I got it done. Now it's printed and stowed away where no one else can see it! I am sending it out but I haven't had any luck yet. Now, if I can get it published, that would make my wish come true!!

Awesome! I challenged myself to get this book done and I did it! Sometimes I didn't think that it was ever going to be done, but I kept going and I finished it. Now if I could only publish it...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“Our family has not owned a television since my oldest was two... for over eleven years! As well, we have moved to a new state, pretty close to being across the nation. As such, this was a perfect time to find new ways to spend time together as a family.

The ten new ways we have found to spend time together include going to Storybook Island, going to Bear Country USA, putting puzzles together, working together to clean up the property, building projects (currently working on a goat barn), read aloud, game night, gardening, cooking together, and family sports (soccer is a favorite!).

Considering I spend 24/7 with the children, coming up with new ideas was a little difficult. However, I thoroughly enjoy the new activities that we are doing!!! As the weather warms up, we are looking forward to more time together outdoors.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“There were three parts to obtaining this level of the badge. The first step was to create at least 10 posts or responses on the Farmgirl Chatroom, making sure to use excellent grammar and spelling. I am fairly "chatty" on the boards, so that was not an issue at all!

The second part was to continue discovering new words, for an additional two weeks. My words for this level were:
pedantic: ostentatious in one's learning (I loved that this word used one of the new words I learned for the beginner level in the definition!)
pedagogy: the art or science of teaching
sardonic: bitter or scornful derision; mocking
garrulous: talk a lot
nascent: beginning to exist, recently formed
virulent: bitterly hostile
geodesic: shortest possible line between two points on a curved surface
metayage: system of farming in which rent is paid as a percentage of crops yielded, and in which the owner usually provides the farmer with seed and stock
mendacious: lying
galvanize: to cause to become excited or active
predial: of or relating to land or its products
arid: having little or no rain; too dry or barren to support vegetation
galactophagist: milk drinker
recalcitrant: stubborn, hard to manage, defying authority

The third part to earning this level of the badge was to read the book "Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English," by Patricia T O'Conner.

The book was actually pretty interesting, with the author having a decent sense of humor throughout it, which says a lot considering it was a book on grammar. I learned quite a bit and am looking forward to relaying more of the information to the children during their school.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“When we moved to our new house here in Wyoming, we quickly met our neighbors living close by. The ones to our right are a family around our age with two children. Across the street is an older couple, and to our left is also an older couple. While we get along great with all of our new neighbors, the neighbors across the street have become my children's "adopted grandparents."Within the first month of being here we had spent numerous days with the couple, learning a lot about the area, the people, and their pasts.

I absolutely LOVE spending time with older folks. They are always so full of stories and wisdom!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“Over the month of December, we continued spending time with our neighbors across the street. The wife actually had a shoulder replacement surgery, so we surprised them with a Chicken Pot Pie, a favorite of ours. Throughout the month we spent a lot of days learning about them and their family. Their children have all moved away and it doesn't appear like they will be seeing their own grandchildren any time soon, so I think the time with our children was extra special for them. They even blessed our children with coloring books for Christmas!

Our children have come to absolutely adore our neighbors. They refer to them as Grandpa and Grandma! I am a very "hug-y" person and give hugs all the time! My children have learned to do the same! The couple's faces, when my children hugged them, was so touching... and yet heartbreaking in that they so seldom get hugs that they were so pleased with those they received.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“The end of December I emailed our local extension office regarding edible plants in our area. I never heard anything back from them. So in January, I went in to the office to visit. Shockingly, they were clueless! The young girl I spoke with said she was sure there are some, as the Indians of the area use to eat the plants, but that she had no clue what they were or where to find them. Frustrated, I contacted my brother, who lives in South Dakota, about an hour and a half from us. He seems to always be able to find someone who can answer any question I have regarding the area! Sure enough, he was able to tell me about some of the wild edibles of the area, including cottontails, plantain, mullein, sage, chickweed, gumweed, Black Walnut, prickly pear cactus, chokecherry, and yarrow. I have also ordered two books, "Mountain States Foraging" and "Foraging the Mountain West" to try to learn more.

I was quite surprised at the lack of knowledge regarding foraging, by the local extension office. Thankfully, with the help of my brother and one of his friends, along with the books I ordered, I should be able to soon learn much more about the wild edibles in this area!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“The church we have been attending here in Wyoming has a food pantry. I calculated how much we spend per person per meal per day and was going to have all of us fast on that day for at least one meal, and give that money to the church for the food pantry. However, when I calculated how much I actually spend... I was ASTOUNDED and gave an amount that we could afford to the pantry instead. When I figured it out, we only spend $1.06/meal/person... Granted, much of our meat is already bought, as we purchase a whole cow once a year, and we were gifted with venison, but I was still pleased that while it seems like I spend so much each week, when I break it down, I really do not do bad at all!

I had really hoped this activity would help my children understand how blessed we are and how fortunate we are to be able to purchase food. Unfortunately, it seemed like it was going to backfire at first, with how little I spend. With that said, however, I was still able to look at the children and tell them that there are people who do not even have $3.18 to provide themselves with enough food for a day! It also helped us explain why we do not go out to eat. With the amount we spend a day per person ($3.18), we could not even buy enough food for a single meal for one person!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“There were three parts of earning the beginning level of this badge. The first part was learning how to dry herbs and spices. I actually accomplished this part of the badge when I earned my expert level for the Herbs badge in 2015.

The second part of this badge was creating the spice blends in "MaryJane's Ideabook." This was super simple, as all the ingredients are spices we keep on hand anyways.

The third part was gifting the spices as a gift set. The suggestion given with the badge was to gift them for a wedding gift. Instead, I put the spices in metal tins and glass containers and gifted them to my husband for Christmas. Along with the spices he got an apron that I made him, as well as a rack to hang his grilling tools.

I thoroughly enjoyed earning this badge and used it as a learning experience for my children. We are studying various countries around the world. We started in Antarctica, then Australia, and are not working through Asia. Each of the spice mixes have a very distinct and different scent and flavor. By taking a whiff of the seasoning blends, you can get the scent of the country.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“Canning is one of my oldest daughter and my favorite activities to do together! She and I often spend days at a time, canning. Part of the reason for this is we generally buy in bulk, or visit "pick your own" places where we buy bushels of fruits.

MaryJane's recipe is my go-to recipe for apple pie filling! We generally use Mutsu apples, opposed to the apples she recommends, but the filling turns out deliciously perfect!

For spaghetti sauce, I do not start with an all at once harvest. Instead, throughout the growing season, I take tomatoes that have gotten a little soft, and put them in the freezer. Once I have a large amount of them, I put them all in a colander in a bowl, in the sink. As they thaw, their skins crack and the juice runs out. This saves me from cooking down so much moisture! Once thawed, the skins easily slip right off, which I then dehydrate. (Once they dehydrate, they can be blitzed in a food processor or blender and used at a 1:1 ratio with water to make tomato paste!) The flesh that is left is then thrown into a pot and cooked down, and then pureed. I then follow the recipe in "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" which I then can.

Our family thoroughly enjoys pickles! We pickle all kinds of vegetables, including cucumbers, carrots, beets, eggplant, zucchini, squash, and peppers. I really want to try pickled onions and garlic.

Fermenting is not a family favorite. I have tried sauerkraut, fermented pickles, and kimchi. So far, they are a no go for our crew.

Canning is a rewarding event in our house! My oldest and I enjoy our time together and we have lots of jars on the shelves of prepared food to show for the time spent!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have been blessed to be a stay at home, homeschooling mom of seven beautiful children, ages 18 months to 13 years old. While I wouldn't trade my family for anything in the world, there are times that I am stressed. Add to the everyday chaos the fact that I only have one adrenal gland due to the other having to be removed due to a mass. Your adrenal glands are in charge of your fight and flight response... and mine is maimed! Relaxation is therefore a God given blessing to recharge and reconnect.

Regular relaxation has been proven over and over again to produce beneficial results in one's stress management, anxiety, overall physical health, and happiness, as well as depression prevention. Immediate benefits include a lowered heart rate, lowered blood pressure and lowered cortisol levels. In the longer scheme of things, it can help you sleep better, strengthens your immune system, clear away any brain fog, help you manage stress, and regulate your emotions.

Everyday, around 1230 or 1, after the children have eaten lunch, we have family quiet time. This consists of the children lying down on their beds, often times with books for the older ones. I do not require they go to sleep, but I do require no talking or pplaying for half an hour. More often than not, all of the children from the ages 11 down, take naps. During this time, I take my water, or a cup of hot tea, sit in my chair in the living room, and just breathe! I need the down time as much as they do, if not more!

I am one of those people that does everything I can 100%. I love at 100%, work at 100%, play at 100%... and stress at 100%! Relaxation is key to survive!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“There are a few things that I find extremely relaxing... Walking is one. Unfortunately, we spend many months under snow, so walking is out of the question on many days (between the snow and the cold wind, it is too much for my youngest!). Sewing is also a great way for me to relax. However, pulling out my sewing machine is not something that can happen everyday. I also find cooking extremely relaxing... most days! There are some days, however, that cooking is stressful. Reading is also relaxing, though there are days I cannot find time to read, as I prefer to read for longer periods of time than 10-15 minutes! So for my daily relaxation time, I simply grab a beverage (usually hot tea or my water), head to the chair in the living room, and just relax and breathe. By the time Ten to fifteen minutes has passed, I am completely relaxed. We have gotten to where I refer to this time as "Mommy's Time Out."

One of the biggest benefits I have found is that after my "time out," I have a much better attitude and more patience. It has also taught the children that even mommies need breaks and time outs to gain control of oneself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!
“Due to being a stay at home, homeschooling mom, going out of the house to complete a class is next ti impossible. Thankfully, I have found classes that I do not need to go out of the house to complete! One of my favorite ways to relax is to cook. I have been blessed with the gift of hospitality, and I love to demonstrate my love for my family and others through the foods I eat. However, I also strive to demonstrate my love for God by making nutritious meals cooked in traditional ways. GNOWFGLINS, or Traditional Cooking School, is a great way to learn how to do this. Through their website, I have been taking classes to not only relax, but as a creative outlet. My favorite course thus far is the Einkorn Baking course!

I also continue my daily relaxation exercises. I thoroughly enjoy the classes I have taken through GNOWFGLINS! Not only are they a fun way to learn, but the foods I create are truly appreciated by my family, which makes it a win win!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“Candles have been made for YEARS! Beef tallow and other fats were used in earlier days. Paraffin wax is perhaps the most versatile wax, as it has many different melting points, and can be used for votives, pillars, or containers. Soy wax are usually blended for container candles. Candle gel wax isn't really a wax at all, but is used for gel candles. Palm wax is used for pillars and votives. My favorite type of candle however is beeswax.

There are different ways to scent candles. Perhaps the most common way is to use commercial candle making scents. The pros for this method is that these are widely available is stores that sell candle supplies. However, the ingredients vary as do the strengths of the scents. Fragrance oils are also easily located, but they too are highly concentrated and the strengths varies. Essential oils are natural, as long as you buy them from a reputable distributor. However, not all essential oils work well with wax. Similarly, some natural sources, which includes herbs, spices, crushed flowers, and zests, do not work well with waxes either. Issues may include not allowing the wax to harden or the wick not burning.

Colorings can be artificial or natural as well. Artificial coloring, such as those found in color blocks, liquid candle dyes, and pigment dyes all contain harmful toxins. They do give bright tones though. Natural coloring does not necessarily give the same brightness in tone, however, there are no harsh or toxic chemicals. Natural coloring include those from spices, herbs, flowers, fruits and vegetables.

I found researching this information regarding candles to be extremely informative. I didn't realize that you could naturally color candles! I am excited to try my hand at coloring candles in the near future!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“For the rest of January, I continued mindfulness meditation. I found it extremely relaxing, and yet there were times my mind wanted to take rabbit trails. By adding in breathing exercises, I was able to stay more focused on the "now" opposed to wherever my brain wanted to travel.

I found finding the time for mindfulness meditation to be extremely difficult! There was always something going on or something needing to be done, that focusing on just that moment was extremely difficult. The breathing exercises helped me to stay focused, but I still struggled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  8:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“Walking meditation is the answer to my issues! For the rest of January, all of February and the beginning of March, I practiced walking meditation. At its core, walking meditation is simply focusing on the actual act of walking. By giving myself something to focus on, I was able to keep my mind off the rabbit trails.

The children found me pacing back and forth in the house hysterical! It is recommended that you pace back and forth so that when you stop and turn around, you can bring yourself back, if your mind is wandering. A benefit of walking meditation is helping one's posture. By focusing on how I am walking, I find myself standing up more straight.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page