Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Bickman (melbick, #1475) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We have used reusable bags for about 3 years now and I love it. I wouldn't think of walking out of the house to go shopping for anything without my bags, in fact I keep a set in each vehicle for spontaneous shopping and a set in the house for major planned shopping trips.

At first we used to get some strange looks and alot of disgrunteled clerks and shoppers because of the bags but since it has become more popular it is not as bad unless we go shopping at the mall or a major department store, then we still get the looks but that is ok."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Bickman (melbick, #1475) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"Vinegar and baking soda are the 2 primary cleaners in my house. We have not used commercial cleaners since my son was diagnosed with asthma in 2000.

It works great for use, my grandmother is another story but I am slowly converting her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Bickman (melbick, #1475) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have had a compost pile for the last year since I got tired of paying the high price for organic compost.

I have learned the reason for the high price of the organic compost, the amount of time and energy need to compost items. I also learned that I am not sure that the organic stuff they sell in the stores is truely organic, because my plants are doing much better on our compost then they were on the store baught stuff."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Bickman (melbick, #1475) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Gaining Ground badge.

"After having recently moved to a bigger farm (one that is finally ours)I decided that I didn't want to build a compost heap for the dogs and animals in our area to destroy so I build a Compost bin out of a 55 gallon drum and 2x4's. We set it on a spinning system and drilled holes in both the top and the bottom to allow for the proper amount of air and water concentration. I also contact our city hall and discovered that since we are a rural area and there are so many different garbage services in our area (5 in mine alone)it is difficult for them to set up a recycle program out here (hum i think they are just to lazy to look into the program myself) any way I took matters into my own hands out here in my little part of Venus and talked to several of my neighbors. We have set up a program in which we all benifit from. One of them makes their living off of selling metals, so those of us that don't have time to do that give him our metal, he inturn saves his compostable stuff for me and 2 other farmers/gardeners in our area.

We have learned as a community within a bigger community to help each other and that our world benifits from this sharing and working together."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (KARLA, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My sewing box is a 4 level fishing tackle box & I love it. It has slots & cubbies for everything imaginable!

It has been a lifesaver & great organizational tool for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been aware of the importance of reusable bags for a while now. The hardest part for me was remembering to take them out of the car!
I have at least 20 bags in varying sizes that I keep in 1 large bag. In the beginning, I would leave the store in middle of shopping, just to retrieve my bags out of the car! I have even walked out of stores holding all my items in my hands!

It amazes me that I don't even have to remember them anymore. It has just become such a habit for me to grab them out of the back of the car! I even keep a bag that folds into a tiny tomato in my pocketbook--just in case!
I love the fact that I am making a difference. Those plastic bags stuck in trees... those weren't from me!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:24:15 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I borrowed several books from the library and also looked online for information on cleaning green. I was ready to commit to a healthier and cleaner home. I don't need harsh, toxic smells to tell me that my home is clean. However, I did have a hard time giving up bleach. I finally let go of my pre-conceived notion that only bleach will clean my white laundry. I purchased a box of Borax and crossed my fingers..!!

I am so proud that I am no longer dependent on bleach! My whites smell amazing..even my husband made a comment! We have very hard water, and Borax made such a difference! I couldn't be happier!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"When I received my copy of "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders", I wasn't too sure that I was going to enjoy it.. I was so wrong! The things I learned in that book was amazing! Who knew how smart bees are!! When I began reading it, I thought that only 3 types of bees exsited: honeybees, bumblebees, and yellow jackets.. In my state alone there are 477! Wow!
When I was researching the differences between raw honey, and process honey, I was surprised that raw honey helped with so many ailments.
I was also led to a website: LongIslandbeekeepers.org. On that site I was able to discover that I have a honey vendor the next town over!

While reading the book, so many people would ask me why I was reading a book about bees. During one of these conversations, my children's Physical Education teacher overheard and revealed that her husband is a beekeeper! I had no idea.
I plan on buying raw honey from my new found local vendor to add to my diet, as well as my beauty products."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Long (elisa in the woods , #1202) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I am honored to be able to spend time with my three little grandchildren. One of our favorite activities is to bake! Since Grandma wears an apron, they have each been begging for an apron like Grandma's.

With some fabric that I had left over from other projects, I crafted patterns my latest sewing hobby), and sewed three aprons. The girls' aprons are identical, except for sizing; my grandson's is a rough copy of a 'pizza apron', even bearing his name in felt applique.

The kids love their aprons; of course the girls want one like their brother, but that is the usual rivalry, and a project for another day.

I think they all turned out nicely. I am anxious to be able to take pictures with all three wearing their aprons....covered with flour!

It was a fun project; mostly to see the smile on the faces of the kids!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out my kitchen cupboards and drawers. My goal was to clean out one a day and I'm so glad I did.

I completely removed a few cupboard doors and glued a sheet of cork, then replaced them. I have my important phone numbers inside one, attached with pins. In another I have baking substitution sheets. I tossed all unused items and donated what was still useful but not needed by us. I washed the cupboards out, and the outsides, with my homemade cleaners. I also labeled all of my home dried herbs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:55:26 AM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the Vanishing Bees trailer, planted lavender and Lemon Queen sunflowers in my garden and read "The Secret Life of Bees."

My lavender is doing very well, attracting lots of bees. My sunflowers are part of the Great Sunflower Project, a program where people count the number of bees in their gardens. I really enjoyed "The Secret Life of Bees." I had read it years ago, and it was good to read it again!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  12:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I went around to all the doors in our house and oiled the hinges.

There are no more squeaks from any doors in our home!

Now during the night I am able to sneak around while the baby is sleeping, with no concerns about whether I will wake her up or not. It is so great.

We don't have any bicycles. Also, right now we are only container gardening....so my tools currently consist of an old teaspoon and an old table knife. Needless to say, I cannot exactly oil these, but I do wash and dry them before I put them away. However, on my honor I will keep future larger sized tools cleaned and oiled when I put them away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  12:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I created a trellis using fallen tree branches and string in a ladder-like formation also appropriate for peas, morning glories, nasturtiums, or any other climbers.

On one of our afternoon walks in the woods my infant daughter and I found some tall tree branches and brought them back home to our deck. I think my 12 month old had a great time riding along in the wrap carrier while I also carried 2 branches! She held her little hands out and rested her hands on the branches in imitation of me the whole way home. It was so dear - she isn't old enough to be a farmerette officially, but she is totally into this! Ha! And then I lashed the branches to the decking and added more string for laddering. The peas and beans will like this very much."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  12:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I've learned to cross stitch and embroider. I have made samplers and framed them.

Here are a few of the samplers which I have made over the last few years. Some of them I've made and given away as gifts. I made a Home Sweet Home as a wedding gift for a dear friend and she still has it up on her wall. As bridesmaid gifts at our wedding I stitched little windmill scenes onto antique handkerchiefs that I repurposed into little cases for the monogrammed silver compacts that I gave. My gift to my maid of honor was a framed sampler in addition to the embroidered small gift. That was a "When this you see remember me" motto, and I included my maiden name on it. Samplers are so sweet! The ones pictured in this photo grace various walls of our home: a Home Sweet Home, Welcome Friends and Neighbors, and for the dining room there's a Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread. Framing is so expensive, even when I do it myself - so I have learned to make banners from simple dowels and string until my ship comes in and I am able to just frame everything. :o)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  1:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I ordered the chillover powder and received it about a week and a half ago. Last night for mother's day dinner that I was cooking for our extended family I made two recipes. The first from the last issue of Mary Janes Farm magazine with the orange juice and chillover powder, chilled and then cut with a cookie cutter into shapes for the kids. The second was the apple recipe that came in the packaging (apple juice, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon).

The adults ate the apple version and it was a big hit. I had a few leftover, but they were missing from the fridge this morning so that means someone was sneaking them as a midnight snack! The kids enjoyed the orange juice although my sons asked if I could make it in another flavor next time (they particularly like strawberry lemonade so I think I'll give that a shot for the next batch)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Tina Page (logcabinchic, #1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I went through under my kitchen sink, laundry room and both bathrooms, taking all cleaners out. I boxed up the ones I would no longer use and took them to the recycling center where they would dispose of them. I researched making my own cleaners on the internet. I bought large boxes of Borax, baking soda, & natural dishsoap. I also purchased some essential oils. I wrote my mission statement dated April 6, printed it and kept it in my MaryJanesFarm 3 ring binder. I have a index card ring in which I wrote all of the recipes for cleaners and other "green" ideas. I also purchased double of some things and recycled a basket someone gave me as a "green" gift for my mom.

Some things I had been doing, as I have 2 boys with asthma and allergies. I tried to use the least harmful cleaners I could find. After finding natural recipes on line, I was so excited. They seem to work just fine and I feel so good that they will be better for my family. My mom was thrilled with her basket!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Tina Page (logcabinchic, #1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I found an old Kraft paper notebook and painted it's cover to start. I started the first of April and continued all month. There were a couple days that I was grateful for something as simple as a rainy day to sit inside and watch movies with my family.

After making it for one month I decided to continue to try to at least write in it every once in awhile to keep myself thinking on all of the things I have to be thankful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Tina Page (logcabinchic, #1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I started buying one or two new organic things each week. We tried milk, bread, applesauce, raisins, sugar and different veggies like onions, lettuce, broccoli, etc.

I liked the milk, however the rest of my family did not. As for the applesauce, it was decided that they liked my homemade applesauce better. (I have to find some organic apples to make some.) The breads,raisins and sugar were fine. The fresh veggies were all great. I did not have an easy time of finding the things I would like to have found for fresh things. We live in a very small town in the sticks in Maine and I'm not sure that they are as readily available as I would like."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Tina Page (logcabinchic, #1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I actually earned this badge as a result of having my kitchen countertop re-done. My storage container cabinet needed to be emptied by the carpenters to be able to attach the counter. I loaded it all into a box and later went through them all finding lids for each container. I found an unused rectangle bin and put all of the lids in it along with some of the very small plastic containers.

It seems so nice to have that cupboard cleaned out! It is also great to pull out the bin with lids in it and pick the right one out. I used to send my kids in the cupboard (they fit better) and search out a container and lid to match."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Tina Page (logcabinchic, #1265) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I actually got my chickens late last year, they were fed kitchen scraps and corn with some grain through the winter. This spring I have let them free range. I was not happy with feeding them grain and cannot find a place to buy organic feed. I printed two recipes off the internet for feed made with oats and seeds, etc. and will be making that for them.

My children have been totally thrilled with going out each day to find out how many eggs we have. We all agree that they taste far superior to store bought eggs. We have even had enough lately to share with my husband's mother, my parents, some friends and neighbors."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Christiansen (dchristi, #1006) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I helped to make lap quilts for the graduating seniors at our church. One of which is my daughter. She wanted so much in her quilt that I had to make a reversible quilt for her.

All 70 quilts turned out great. I had formed a little team of quilters and we made 25% of the quilts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I used a 4 1/2" by 2" rubbermaid container for my sewing kit. Inside I put a small pair of scissors, seam ripper, thimble, and five different colors of thread, a mini tin to put the buttons in, a mini pin-keep 3" by 2" to hold my needles, straight pins, and safety pins. It is made out of felt and looks like a mini book with a cowboy boot appliqué on the front and a tab and snap closure.

It turned out real nice, I can now keep it in my car or in my project bag I take with me on the go."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Sandie Clark (#1239) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I wanted to make a simple sign to hang above my collection of quilts,so, I got some fabrics together, from my stash, and then used my computer to generate some appropriate sized letters for QUILTS. I traced the letters onto light, solid yellows to go on top of the blue, yellow, and white fabric. I put my 3 layers together (front, batting, back) together, pinned them well together, and then proceeded to embroider around each of the letters, QUILTS. I ended up putting a 1/2", blue border around the whole thing to enhance it and to set it off nicely.

I'm thrilled with how it turned out!
It hangs above my collection and is an eye-catcher, too. I love the blues and yellows as my background is Swedish, so, this really meant a lot to me. I wish my grandmother could've seen it...she would have been pleased! I remember her drinking from the saucer, of a blue, yellow, and white, china cup, as the Swedes did from the old country. She'd take the coffee, from the cup part, pour a little into the saucer, and drink from that...of course, AFTER she put a cube of sugar in her mouth first! So, this was for her!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Sandie Clark (#1239) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"Again, I wanted to hang a slender quilt, between two windows in our sunroom (where my collection of quilts are). It required, again, the blue, yellow, and white fabrics. I designed (on graph paper first) the size I needed, then figured out how much fabric I'd need for each of the four squares. I wanted a type of sunflower design and I went with a contemporary take on the flower. The background fabric on each square remained the same, as well as the green "leaf" background to the sunflower. Also, the centers of each flower is the same. But, The petals of each of the four flowers is different. I used an adhesive to lay down some of the harder, trickier edges, but then I embroidered around each sunflower center as well as each petal. I ended up bordering it with some various blues I had on hand. My friend, Joy, and I did some of this together...she her own project while I did this one. She encouraged me along the way...as most friends do.

As you can see by the photo, this hangs between my two windows, and I think it sets off the room really well! It's probably the first thing your eye goes to when you enter the sunroom, too. I LOVE fabric, designing (I was a graphic artist by profession), deciding what fabrics go with what. Fabric has proved to be just another medium, as far as I'm concerned, to put forth your artistic ideas, BUT, for me, at least, I think fabric has a LOT more to offer in the way of choices AND no mixing of paints!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Sandie Clark (#1239) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"I worked, for a year, with my friends, alternating in our different homes, for a day, each month. We began with a pattern for a "Village Green" quilt, but, later, each one of us changed the squares around the "village green", center of quilt, to fit our personalities! We shared fabrics as we worked. That, I think was the most fun as each one of us would give another a fabric that was just PERFECT for whatever we were doing!
I had been to NH (my home area) and purchased enough fabric for each of us the have enough light to dark greens to do our "village green" center of the quilt. So that part of the quilt was the same in each of our Village Quilt.
Since I grew up in New England I designed 2 blocks that were obviously ocean themed. The other blocks were different widths, but, still worked in separate blocks. We changed or added beads, embroidery, etc., to enhance each block.

I think my quilt turned reeeeeeeally well! It hangs in our living room between the two windows and makes our home have a nice, warm feel to it! I often get remarks about it from people who come into our home for the first time and they just can't get over the work that went into each square! And, it did take over a year to put together, but, the hours spent with my friends and the fellowship, fun, laughs, lunches, were worth every moment!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page