Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I've made a commitment to my pet that I'll find a veterinarian in my area that practices holistic and natural veterinary care. I have been checking the labels and ingredients of our pet foods.

This is the ingredient for the cat food I feed my cat: Chicken, Salmon, Water, Poultry Liver, Chicken Broth, Dried Egg Product, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Fish Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine, Tapioca Starch, Choline Chloride, Salt, DL-Methionine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Oxide Color, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“My cat has been sprayed. I've been using organic and natural products on my cat. Her bedding is made of organic fabric.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I cleaned a pregnant mom's house when she went to deliver her baby. She had a baby girl. I cooked weeks worth of meals for a family who needed it.

Here are a few of the meals I made for them:
Honey ham, rice, and vegetables;
Chicken, rice, salad, and vegetables;
Spaghetti and salad;
Beef roast with potatoes, carrots, and salad;
Italian soup, salad, homemade bread;
Barbecue meatloaf, twice-baked potatoes, vegetables;
I did get them pizza also.

It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I kept a food journal for a month and observed my eating habits. I noticed I need to drink more water and eat more fresh fruit. I do know where my food is grown. Most of it comes into Texas from Mexico, but some is grown locally. I've been reading the labels and shopping the outside edges of the store. I read the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I liked the book a lot.

I became a sprout farmer and used the sprouts in my salad. I loved how it gave my salad a little bit of a different flavor.

Here's a list of some of the new ways I've put more fruits and veggies in my diet.
    1. Have them with your lunch and dinner.
    2. Have cut-up veggies in the fridge ready to eat as a snack.
    3. Have a fruit bowl out on the counter so you see the fruit and want to eat it then. When you go somewhere bring some with you to snack on. In the evening have some to snack on instead of candy. I have eliminated all hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners from my diet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:33:27 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I've increased my eating of organic food that I eat by 25%. I have written down the CSA Name and phone number and membership costs in my journal. I chose not to become a member. I have replaced a dessert with unsweetened fruit. I've eliminated all high-fructose corn syrup from my diet.

These are the numbers that I have found:
Edward.Ragland@usda.gov

AmericoJ.Vega-Labiosa@usda.gov
202.756.2578”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I checked online the difference between cruelty free and organic beauty products. I find Bare Minerals to be on both sites.

I used bare minerals and they turn my face red.. My niece makes her own soaps and lotions so I just get it from her. I just pay some of the cost of materials. I make bath salts to give away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I tried to make my own soap more than once. I ordered beeswax to make lip balm.

All attempts to make soap have failed so I’m making bath salts and they seam to work out. I'm waiting to see how the balm works.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Aneta Smith (#8224) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Last week made some body butter with shea butter, extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil and lemon essential oil.

It turned out pretty good and ut will last me a while. Good recipe. I found it on Pinterest.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“My friend Rea, #8284 gave me this quilt as a challenge. It took a long time to complete. I added special buttons to the quilt from my button collection. There are metal buttons, a ceramic button from China, my special wood heart button that I give new chapter members. I quilted around each of the colored special blocks border. I did stippling in around the woman. I did triangles to take up the white middle space to match the geometrics. I added gems for color and I added rhinestones in the flowers and on her bandana.

I definitely improved my skills by doing this project. I used both machine and hand sewing in this quilt. The three techniques I learned were: stippling, free hand machine motion and binding. I worked on the quilt for four months. I go to the senior center every Wednesday, so the people I have taught and worked with are Chloe, Venna, Melanie, Trudy, and Karen. Donna is an expert quilter and she gave me tips along the way. For our CA State Jubilee on May 7, 2022, I'm also doing a quilt block hot pad and will be teaching more people that day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Maliszewski (andyzewski, #8297) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“After completing my Going Green, Shopping Green and Recyling badges, I figured I was on a roll and was curious as to what other steps I could take to reduce waste in my household. I tackled the Path To Zero Waste badge next.

I began by going to the website recommended in the Farmgirl Sisterhood Planner (trashisfortossers). This led me to read the book The Almost Zero Waste Guide, 100+ Tips for Reducing Your Waste Without Changing Yout Life by Melanie Mannarino. I wasn't quite ready to make the dramatic change of placing all trash in a Mason jar kind of life but wanted to see what little ways I could make changes that would make an impact on the waste created by my home.

Although I have always sold or donated second-hand items of value instead of tossing them, one of the duh moments I had was something as simple a purchasing used books vs. new books. Most of the books I read for fun are ebooks but for my craft project books, I prefer an actual book to refer to. It was so easy to scroll through Amazon and purchase them new. Now I purchase them via used book stores and give them a second life. And I have a lake house that I have created a community reading library at in order to share my books and give them even more life!

Some of the many other tips I have adopted include carrying and using a metal straw when going to restaurants; I'm more aware of sustainable brands now; I buy more items in bulk to reduce packaging waste over time; and I repurpose items as much as possible when crafting projects, including wood fabric and metal.

Although I can't place all the garbage collected from my household in the course of a year into a Mason jar, I continue to make small changes in constantly and am always eyeing items to see how I can repurpose them to extend their life in new ways. It's fun and I have gotten more creative! And every once in a while, I pick up The Almost Zero Waste Guide and look for a new tip to try out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Maliszewski (andyzewski, #8297) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“The majority of my earned badges to date are “Green” related, mainly because I moved from a state that was relatively green to a state that isn’t. Although it's harder to be green in Texas than it was in Kentucky, I've been going out of my way to be as green as possible.

This badge was perfect because I have wanted to start a compost bin for years and this was the bump I needed to finally do it. I’ll be honest, I really thought you just dumped your scraps in a heap and then Mother Nature did the rest. I was quite surprised that there was more to it. I grabbed some books from the library and began researching the topic, starting with the kinds of bins you can make or purchase to the items to put in it to the science of how it breaks down into nutrient rich soil for your garden.

I started my compost bin in May of 2021 in a large cardboard box. By the end of the year, I ended up with about 30 gallons of soil. I then started two compost bins I made out of cinder blocks we had piled up on the property and can alternate between the two.

I also have a lake house and considered starting one there but before doing that, I was curious about worm bins. Once again, I thought that you just got some worms, put them in a bin and started dumping scraps in. I thought it might be a better alternative and the bonus would be bait for fishing. After reading Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof, I again realized that worm bins were complicated and required more work than that.

Now that I have two compost heaps to alternate between giving me plenty of new black, I'm going to start a garden using using it. And although I don’t plan to start a worm bin on either property at this time, I can see having one in the future when I have more time to give to it. In the mean time, I will bring my eggshells and veggie scraps home from the lake house and add it to my home compost heaps.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“This was an interesting project. I started this on Easter weekend. It was easier to do on a holiday weekend because of all the family activities. The grandchildren kept busy with crafts, Easter egg hunts, and family dinners. It was a nice break from work and the internet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Merit Badge!

“The pets I watch during the week are two cats and a dog. They belong to my daughter's family. I keep the dog busy and out of trouble by playing ball outside. The cats take more time and are always wanting treats and attention. My dog gets to come with to enjoy the company of the cats and dog.

I do this often for them since the kids are in school and the parents work. So I get the pleasure of being a pet sitter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I have first aid kits in my car, medicine cabinet, and kitchen. I also keep a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in my kitchen. So far I have never had to use them, but they are a valuable item in the kitchen.

This was good because it reminded me to check the date on my fire extinguisher. Thank you!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

“This takes me back to the 5th grade geography class! I remember a lot of the capitals from then. Now I reviewed the globe and countries with my grandson. He love to look up different places when we read a new book about different cultures.

Cartography is the science of making maps a cartographer is a person who is involved in the making of maps.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I tracked the weather for the month of April. The springtime weather here is always in turmoil. Mother Nature isn't sure if it should rain, snow, or have a day of sunshine!

Tracking the weather was fun. I would check the Farmer's Almanac and it was always close to what the weather would be in my area. So this made it a little more interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“In North America, wild game meats include antelope, bear, bison, caribou, deer, pheasant, duck, snake, moose, elk, wild pig, wild turkey, squirrel, rabbit, and quail.

Key points for handling wild game: 1) keep it clean; 2) keep it dry, and 3) keep it cold. You do not need to further ‘bleed’ a harvested deer. As you prepare the carcass, remember that leaving the hide on the deer keeps the meat surface clean and prevents the outside of the carcass from drying out.

Do remove the viscera from the body cavity as soon as possible, especially if the deer was hit in the gut area. This will help cool the carcass more quickly and limit bacterial spreading and growth. Work efficiently to gut the deer, while taking the time needed to do a careful job. Be careful not to cut into the intestines, stomach, or bladder – these commonly contain high levels of bacteria that can contaminate the muscle tissue. Cut around the entrance and exit holes to remove any dirt or potentially contaminated material. If available, use a clean cloth or towel to help control the spill of blood or organ contents onto the carcass.

Once internal organs are removed, rinse the cavity with clean, cold water if at all possible. Rinsing the cavity can help remove contaminants and protect the quality of the meat. For extra protection, use a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar to rinse the cavity. Rinsing the carcass with cold water will also help cool the carcass.

The cooling process should begin within a couple of hours of harvesting the deer. Propping open the body cavity, keeping the carcass in the shade, and exposing it to air movement are all ways to improve cooling. By suspending the deer from an overhead object, you can greatly speed up the cooling process since the air reaching the carcass will carry away any heat and provide a cooling effect. While cooling is important, protect the carcass from freezing, if the carcass freezes within the first six hours after harvest, the meat can become tough. Many hunters age deer carcasses before cutting them into chops or roasts. Aging refers to holding carcasses at 35 to 45°F to allow natural enzymes to tenderize the meat. It can take from 7 to 10 days of aging to result in a noticeable eating difference in your venison steaks. If you choose to age your venison, you must weigh the benefits of aging against the drying out of exposed surfaces (dehydration) and possible bacterial spoilage. Temperature is important, tenderizing will not occur if the carcass is frozen, and if the temperature is too warm bacteria can grow quickly and spoil the meat.

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog, or turtle in Texas (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license.) See Hunting Licenses and Permits. No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs, or coyotes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched and learn the answers to the following questions:
    1. What is the supreme law of the land? The Constitution.
    2. What does the Constitution do? The Constitution has three main functions. It creates a national government consisting of a legislative, an executive, and a judicial branch, with a system of checks and balances among the three branches Second it also divides power between the federal government and the states.
    3. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are they? "We the People"
    4. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights
    Name two rights or two freedoms listed in the First Amendment (five are possible). Freedom concerning Religion. The right to petition the government.
    5. What did the Declaration of Independence do? United the colonies and declared independence from Great Britain.
    6. Name two rights in the Declaration of Independence (three are possible). Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
    7. What is freedom of religion? The right to practice whatever religion one chooses.
    8. What is the economic system in the United States? Capitalism, government ownership, and government regulation of the economy.
    9. What is the "rule of law"? Rule of law is the principle under which all persons, institutions, and entities are accountable to laws that are equally enforced.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I did my research and learn the answers to the following questions:
    1. Name the three branches of government. Legislative, executive, and judicial.
    What keeps one branch of government from becoming too powerful? The checks and balances system
    2. Who is in charge of the executive branch? President
    3. Who makes the federal laws? Congress
    4. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? Senate and the House of Representatives.
    5. How many U.S. Senators are there? 100 Senators
    6. Name one of your state's U.S. Senators and one of your state's U.S. Representatives. One of Texas' state us senators is Robert Nichols. One of Texas' state representatives is Sheila Jackson Lee
    7. What is the term of a U.S. Senator? 6 years
    8. What is the term of a U.S. Representative? 2 years
    9. What is the term of the President? 4 years
    10. Who is the Commander in Chief of the military? The President is Commander in Chief of all the armed forces of the United States—the Air Force as well as the Army and the Navy.
    11. Who signs bills to become laws? The President signs them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I researched and learned the answers to the following questions:
    1. Who vetoes bills? The President
    2. What does the judicial branch do? The judicial branch is the court
    system.
    3. What is the highest court in the United States? The Supreme Court.
    4. How many justices are on the Supreme Court? Nine.
    5. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now? John Roberts is the Chief Justice.
    6. Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the federal government. Name two (four are possible). To print money and to create an army.
    7. Under our Constitution, some powers belong solely to the states. Name two (five are possible). Education and land use.
    8. Who is the Governor of your state now? Gregory Wayne Abbott
    9. What is the capital of your state? Austin
    10. What are the two major political parties in the United States? Democratic and Republican
    11. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? Nancy Pelosi”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“I did some research on where to get started. The most common food-safety concern surrounding growing mushrooms would be to have a safe place to grow them away from direct sun.

The best sanitary practices related to growing mushrooms would be after I grow them to clean them and store them in an air-tight bag until I use them. I can ensure the safety of my finished project while keeping everything clean.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“I made my list of what I needed to get started. I purchased a mushroom growing kit to start with. I did read about to grow them, and then started. This was so fun to do. I could not believe that I really did grow mushrooms. They tasted so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“I was very happy with the results of my mushrooms. They were very good. I made a few things with them, but my favorite way to use them was in my salads. I took a picture of my salad with the mushrooms in it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  12:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I donated a cake in my church auction to help kids, so they could go to summer camp. My cake was sold for $40.00. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Mindy McCarthy (Mindy, #8448) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I looked through the cupboard and cleaned out storage containers that had missing lids or bottoms and those that had cracks in them. I recycled what I could.

The cupboard is more organized and it isn't as jammed packed as it was. Now I don't have to figure out which top goes with which bottom.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page