Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2023 :  12:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Carmen Touchette (#8514) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I have spent more than 40 hours with my grandmother, who is also the keeper of our family history. Love finding out about my roots!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2023 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Carmen Touchette (#8514) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Grey water is water that has been used but is relatively clean such as bath water and rinsing water. One thing I do with grey water is water my plants, I can not use all of the grey water but I do frequently use the extra water from cooking pasta as house plant water.

I have one rain barrel in my front yard that catches the roof runoff. I want to add two more in the back for the garden. I plan on adding more rain barrels this summer!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2023 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I took a class on basket weaving at a local handmade gift shop. We made a bread basket and the class ran from 11 to 3. Weaving a basket is harder than you would think. I had a little trouble at the start, but as I learned the basics I was able to get the hand of it and finish my basket. I'm very happy with how it turned out and can't wait to fill it with homemade bread.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Carmen Touchette (#8514) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I do most of the fix-it work around the house. I recently cleaned out the dryer vent. I also have Dare to Repair by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet and have learned some easy fixes from it. Fix it yourself!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“I read two different books from the suggested reading list: If You Find This Letter by Hannah Brencher and A Simple Act of Gratitude: How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life by John Kralik.

If You Find This Letter was a good read but not what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about the letters that were written and the people who found them and the impact it had on their lives. It was actually about how each time the author wrote a letter her thoughts about life continued to change. The author also found that she wasn't the only person going through trials in life.

Simple Acts of Gratitude was about a man's attempt to write 365 letters in a year to people in his life. This letter writing campaign helped to change his thoughts on thankfulness and gratitude.

I also sent three letters to friends and friends.

As a young girl, I would write letters to family and pen pals. As I grew and attended college and started my family, I lost the practice of writing letters. It has been wonderful to have a renewed love for letter writing. The added bonus is all the fun office supplies I've accumulated to use in my writing! :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I gathered up the supplies listed in the badge description and placed them in a canning jar. I decorated the top of the lid with paper. As I already had these supplies in my sewing kit, I gifted this jar to a friend.

I enjoyed tucking in the different thread colors, buttons, small scissors, needles, pins and safety pins in the jar. Adding the paper to the top was a fun, whimsical addition. As per the usual, I forgot to take a picture of it. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nitkowski (jennifernitkowski, #8521) has received certificates of achievement in Garden Gate for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I was able to complete all three levels! I started a notebook about merit badge notes and this was the first page. I read Beef: The Untold Story, found it on eBay to now have in my chapter's library that I started. It was a slow read but I got it done. I found a local beef farmer who showed me the setup he had. I was able to spend a day with him helping vaccinate and deworm the herd. I ordered half a cow for my family to freeze and have for the year. I posted today on the chit chat but I’m not very good with chat rooms and don’t feel comfortable with chat rooms.

I’m very excited we got the beef for my family. It's been a long time since I have had a freezer full of local beef that is pasture-raised and lightly grained finished. I plan to use the leaf fat to render tallow and use the bones to make stock. I learned raising beef is not something I will do anytime soon on my starting homestead. I did not take any photos with the farmer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Baer (MelB8529, #8529) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“Four fellow sisters and I built a cinder block raised bed during our last meeting on March 5th. We built the walls out of two levels of cinder blocks. We filled the center with cardboard, sticks, larger pieces of wood, food scraps, and finally soil. We utilized the kids, by having them tamp down on soil, to allow for us to fill more in. We also filled in the cider holes with soil as well. The kids decorated the outside of the raised bed by painting it.

We also passed around the book Dare to Repair by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet and took turns skimming through it to know what repairs it would walk you through. I also bought the book for whenever I need to make small repairs at my own house.

It turned out quite well and it also was a great feeling to complete a project with the help of my fellow sisters for my first merit badge. My friend and fellow sister, Emily, now has a raised bed to grow her herbs in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“I started this two springs ago but never put in for the badge. I planted an extra row of cherry tomatoes and donated them to our local senior center weekly food distribution/food bank. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Plant It Forward Merit Badge!

“In spring of 2022, I planted my garden to donate to our local senior center food pantry.
I used my Heirloom seeds I saved from 2021, germinated them and planted once the spring frost was done. I planted onions, beans, celery, tomatoes and Sunflowers. The birds got the sunflower seeds. The tomatoes did the best.

I worked at the Senior Center on 4/6/2022 from 11am-4pm. I've shared with two farm girl sisters what I did and one is interested in doing work at the senior center.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Charity Zeiger (therootedearth, #8532) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've never been one to let something going unused linger in my house. I didn't have a stash of random bags gathered from conferences, giveaways and the like. If I had, I would have started by using those and only picked up new ones when the need arose. I started by picking up a set of large canvas totes from Amazon.

While they met my largest need, I still needed more to fit all my groceries on large weeks, or for small trips that require a smaller bag. To fill that need I got 5 small-medium sized.

Once I had the goods the hard part really started, remembering to bring them. At first, I always forgot them in the car, but I refused to just shrug it off and often secured my full cart in an out-of-the-way place, trek out to my car past the greeter only to reenter minutes later with arms full of totes quickly giving an embarrassed announcement of “Forgot my bags". Over time the forgetting happened less and the routine slowly built.

So what impact has it had? Welp, we have run out of our massive stash of grocery bags that would be used as trash bags (especially for puppy accidents in the house). Which meant that I had to find a replacement for our small trash bags. It felt redundant to just then buy plastic trashbags. So I did some research and found some biodegradable bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I created an origami masterpiece using multiple sheets of paper and four colors. I also taught my Young Cultivator how to fold my favorite shape.

I made a chick for Easter using yellow, red, blue, and orange. I fold 193 pieces and assembled them. I found out how to make it from YouTube. I used card stock which made the chick a bit larger than the one I saw. It was also harder to fold the little pieces than if I had used origami paper. Live and learn, but I really like the way it turned out!

I also taught my Young Cultivator to fold a heart.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

“I watched some tutorials on how to revamp old or worn out stuff including furniture.

When we cleaned out our shed I had found some empty gas cans. I saved them for a project—now I have gotten to use them!

I'm always watching tutorials on how to revamp things that I find, so this was not new to me.

When I found the gas cans in my shed, I set them aside for a time and was finally able to use them. I scrubbed the outside of each one with steel wool and water to smooth it out. After they were dry, I sprayed on the paint. I put on three coats of paint. I let each coat dry before I applied the next one. The I added the faces with a brush and black paint. I really like how they turned out! I can't wait to put them out for Halloween!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  09:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (Countrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I used a pattern and made an apron for myself. This time I made it with a ruffle around the bottom and side edge. I worked on it for four hours. It only took four hours because I didn't like the patterns ruffle idea so I made up my own ruffle by buying extra fabric for the ruffle. I then went and visited my best friend and she and I went out to a quilt shop to buy quilting fabric.

I think my apron turned out very nicely. I like how I did the ruffle. My best friend also liked my apron and told me I was very talented.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Carmen Touchette (#8514) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I made this stocking for my son. I started it at the beginning of the year. This took more than 50 hours.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  08:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Living Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“I completed the Zero Waste Merit Badge in February 2022. The waste audit was very eye-opening for me. I found out some very interesting things about the types of waste that we dispose of in our home.

I learned about the 5 Rs of zero waste. I also thought about and wrote down ways I can practice each of the 5 Rs.

The 5 Rs of Zero Waste are: Refuse (Don't take it in the first place), Reduce (Do I really need it?), Reuse (Don't use single use items), Recycle (How else can an item be used?), Rot (Compost the rest). The first 3 are the most important as there will be less to recycle or compost.

Ways to practice the 5 Rs are limitless. Use reusable waterbottles and straws, share rarely used equipment with another family or neighbors, making one's own cleaning products, reusable bags, and reusing plastic containers from the grocery store are just a few ways to do this. I keep adding to the list as I think of things that will help.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  08:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“I created a letter writing box with envelopes, stationary, cards, stamps, my favorite pen, and my address book.

I reused an old card storage box and organizer to hold all of my letter writing items. The family-created address book will not fit inside the box, but it fits happily underneath. I put the pen that my Dad gave me for my Master's degree inside the box along with stamps. Now everything is in one place and ready to be used. I can't wait to get started writing to people!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Christina Burnham (coutnrygirlchristinabur, #7305) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a sewing satchel along with a bag to put it in and a handmade pincushion. I filled the sewing satchel with small scissors and different hand sewing needles. I put different colors of thread in the handmade bag and put in a handmade pouch with safety pins and a jelly jar with pins in the bag. I put a medium size of scissors in the bag and I gave all of it to my 18 year old daughter.

I think I did a good job on the project. My daughter seemed to like the sewing kit. I hope she'll treasure it forever.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  08:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We played our game night on Sunday night because that was the best night for our busy week schedules.

We played: Skipbo, Chinese checkers, Sorry, chess, Skipbo again, I Should Have Known That, Backgammon and card games: Go Fish, 21, and Gin.

All of our children are grown and out of the house so we would occasionally read an article from the local press or internet stories that interested us to each other.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile
Mindy McCarthy (Mindy, #8448) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I've always loved animals; well, all but for spiders. Growing up we had cats and we had to beg for them. In fact, the only way we could have one was when a stray would hang around and we would sneak and feed it. As an adult, I’ve had cats, a dog, an iguana, a bearded dragon, and fish. Of all the pets, my favorites are cats because they purr, are soft and fluffy, and they don’t need as much attention as dogs do. Although, cats are finicky, and they will only let you pet them on their terms. Also, if you want to go away for a few days, cats will be fine. Dogs on the other hand need someone to take care of them.

I still have two cats, a dog and a beardie. I love them all, but still cats are my love. After reflecting on my pets, now and in the past, I realized while they all are different with different needs and responsibilities, I enjoy cats the best.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  09:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristin Bryan (#8524) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I've been wanting to learn to embroider for a while and so has my sister. We were excited to work on getting our embroidery badges together! Even though we live across the country from one another, we bought the same kit and sent pictures of our work and shared tips we learned along the way. We both fell in love with embroidery and now my son wants to learn too!

It turned out excellent! I've found a new relaxing hobby that I can take anywhere!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“I participated in two mail art swaps. I sent Mail Art to my partners in January and in March of 2023. I love participating in the Mail Art swaps. I feel like I can experiment with different art mediums and think outside the box when it comes to the ways I use the materials I have. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“In order to earn this level, I learned to sharpen my kitchen knives. My husband was very patient with me as I was learning. I learned to be patient with myself as I am experiencing new things and learning how to do something. Each time that I use my new skill, I am getting better at it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I hosted a family dinner where I used all the recipes handed down through my husband's family. My in-laws, sister & brother-in-law, nieces, and my daughter and son-in-law attended the dinner.

We had such a fun time! We caught up with each others' lives and ate lots of yummy comfort food. :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16271 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16271 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I chose to research Norway as my international country as my great grandparents immigrated from there in the late 1800s.

Norway has a unitary parliamentary constitution monarchy lead by a prime minister. The country is divided into 11 counties governed by locals but subject to governor oversight. The governor is appointed by the Council of State. Each county has a directly elected county assembly led by a mayor. There are 365 cities in the 11 counties. These are lead by an elected assembly which consists of a board of alderman and a mayor.

Norway has a mixed economic system which consists of free market activity and government intervention. Their international trade partners are Germany, Sweden, Denmark, China, UK, USA, France, and Netherlands.

I really enjoyed learning about Norway. I will be be doing more research into the country and learning what it's like to live there.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page