Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I belong to Farmgirls of the Southwest with CJ and we are going to have a bag swap. I have come up with two different bags. One is what I call a "Plag" (plastic bag made from plastic bags - cute heh). The other is a Market Bag crocheted from recycled cotton.

I have already given away two of the Market Bags to my friends who fell in love with them. I guess they are a hit."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read the book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" by Lynn Coulter. Great book with lots of helpful hints. Also ordered a catalog of heirloom seeds to order for next spring.

I will keep you posted on how my garden grows."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I finally finished my "frilly" lacy apron and made another one for my friend Bonnie. She loved it. I wore mine to my mom's place of residence and everyone loved it.

I think it turned out very cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"Finally finished my rose pattern shawl. It is done in filet crochet and took me about 100 hours to complete. I have six girlfriends who I am teaching crochet to. It is very satisfying to share what I know.

I think it turned out beautiful and can't wait for cooler weather to wear it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Knitting badge.

"Just completed knitting this adorable teddy bear. My girlfriends that I am teaching to crochet and knit can't wait to make this cutie. I told them it took me about 60 hours to make so take your time.

I think it turned out really cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Hillmann (BookMouse, #1422) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started a button collection to use them on journals and for knitting and sewing projects. Found buttons at tag sales, thrift stores, antique stores, and from old clothes. I was given buttons from my mother and friends.

I now have a pickle jar full buttons and a few projects started that I need to put the buttons on. Much easier to get these buttons than my mothers. Plus I now send her buttons when I find ones I think she would like, she loves getting mail."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Hillmann (BookMouse, #1422) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knit a dishcloth using leftover organic cotton from another project, and taught my friend Kim how to knit a stash mouse that we felted and filled with lavender.

Dishcloth turned out great. It was a bit boring to knit but I plan on adding to the pattern to make it more fun and knit a few dishcloths for my sister who does not knit. Kim liked her mouse but she has decided that knitting is not for her. She just wants to spin. I'm going to see if I can find a few projects that are simple and fast and see if I can get her to try again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I had no idea how many useless and/or unused containers and lids I had, it's amazing what you get used to. I removed at least 1/2 of what was in the cabinet (which will be donated). My before and after photo tells it all.

I stored all the containers with the lids on them, so no more hunting. It looks great and is much more functional."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I've been knitting for a while but I made a scarf for this badge. I picked a pattern that was a little more challenging than a straight scarf or a dishcloth.
I taught one of my daughters how to knit.

I think the scarf turned out nice and I love the color.
My daughter has decided she likes knitting and is working on a simple scarf."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I've been quilting for many years and have made several quilts but for this badge level I chose a small wall quilt.

I'm happy with both the pattern and color and had fun doing it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I have been volunteering for The Samaritan Inn, the only homeless shelter in my county. I started last winter by crocheting hats for the residents. They have such a wonderful program that I wanted to do more. So, I have been volunteering four hours every Thursday evening at the front desk. I take donations and greet the residents and get their badges as they come and go.

My work at The Samaritan Inn has been such a blessing to me. I work full-time, but always say my four hours at The Inn each week is good for the soul. Getting to know the residents and their stories of how they ended up in a homeless shelter puts everything in my life into perspective."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Beginning June 1, I kept a daily gratitude journal. Here's my list: getting my feet rubbed, books, my friend Lise, hot weather, my husband, Pike Baptist Church, swimming pool, Farmgirls!, fun pens, Samaritan Inn, Diet Coke, Blanca, kittens, postcards, rice pudding, a good night's rest, recipes, getting out of work on time, Farmers Market, my son, dessert before supper, lunch with a friend, vacation!, rain, Chinese food, swimming, the old folks of Pike, chocolate chip cookies, a job that pays well enough, a car that gets me where I need to go.

As I review my list, the things I'm grateful for are not expensive, may not seem to some people to be a big deal, and in many cases had to do with my Farmgirl Sisters!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"Made a small trellis for the garden area to help separate and support the potatoes (and to keep them from smothering the corn) from some old bamboo stakes and small mesh left over from a lettuce table I made. A bit of string finished it off.

I also made a few bamboo tee pee's from some old stakes found in the barn when we moved here. That and string are doing wonders to support the beans and look nicer than traditional cages over tomatoes. Can't wait to play some more!

It is working out well! The beans are loving the support and already starting to curl around the stakes. The corn is thriving now that the potatoes are not hanging over them. Very good for the garden, the earth, and the pocket book!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I went to my local goodwill this morning and found a great old wooden sewing box for $1.99. It has the hinged top that opens both sides outward and has a handle and feet. I was able to pick up a small set of thread spools with needles there for 99 cents as well. At home I was able to round up pins, safety pins and scissors to keep all in one spot. I also located many odd buttons from clothing items that come with the spare button or old clothes that were no longer wearable that I cut the buttons off from.

My daughter now knows everything is in one spot for those random mending tasks needing to be done. She actually sat right down to re-sew a button onto her shorts."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I already do know how to knit so:
I chose a silk/alpaca scarf to knit. Lacey in design but an easy pattern and nice for all seasons.
Teaching daughter to knit a washcloth.

The scarf came out nice, airy, may even take it to a bbq tomorrow in case it cools in the evening. My daughter is not sold on the knitting yet but is still working on it. We will see though, lol, fingers not crossed but she is being persistent"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I organized my buttons a little better in the collection.
I gathered some old wooden embroidery hoops from the goodwill and tied buttons of the same style on waste yarn and hung them from the hoops. The hoops each got hung on nails on the wall in my craftroom. Not only are they more visible, but they are now art until put into a project. Some of these I have purchased from crafters who made them, picked up when we are traveling, etc.
Buttons that I have inherited from my gram who was a huge button collector are filling canning jars on a shelf in my room. These get used for various projects. I have an old wooden dovetail box filled with the very very old buttons from my gram. She gave me this box years ago as I played with it when I was very small. She collected these on trips to the city, from old family clothes, grandads old military uniform. I have yet to find anything I deem special enough to use these on yet.

I can see what I have now as well as the sizes and number per style. I like being able to enjoy them before they go into a project! I also enjoy seeing my grams treasures now that she is no longer here."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Dionne Ruff-Sloan (TeaPriestess, #1690) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I decided I wanted some half aprons to be able to use up some fabric in my stash. I wanted it to be cute and something whimsical so I used some Kermit the Frog fabric and some leftover ruffle binding from another project.

It turned out great! I actually used it in the garden a couple of days ago and forgot I had it on when I left to go to the store!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Dionne Ruff-Sloan (TeaPriestess, #1690) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I took a crochet class at my local craft supply store and learned just the basics which included single crochet, half double and double, slip stitch and joining a new ball of yarn. I started a simple straight scarf as my project.

It turned out okay. The yarn that we were given for the class wasn't soft so I don't think I'll be wearing it. But I've already been to a small local yarn shop and the lovely ladies pointed me in the direction of some lovely soft wool for my next attempt!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl , #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have collected buttons through the years mostly for card making, but recently came across a baggie of old buttons at an estate sale!

I placed them in an old jar and topped it with a rusty lid...looking forward to adding to the jar!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have been eating organic foods for a few years. I rarely buy food that is not organic.
I persuaded my oldest daughter to buy organic even though the cost is sometimes more.

I'm especially pleased that my daughter has switched to organic as she has a daughter that is two. I feel it's important to start little ones on a good diet."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I have been buying nearly all organic foods for a few years.
I was able to convince several of my friends to buy organic as much as possible. Some of them were more willing to buy organic for the benefit of the environment rather than for the health benefits.

I'm thrilled every time I can convince another person to switch to organic."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"I have been buying and eating organic for years. Whenever the opportunity comes up I try to convince others to do the same. This is usually made easier if I have brought some organic food along as a gift or as part of a potluck.

I love it when people remark about how much flavor the fruits or vegetables have. Then I can talk about how organic produce has more flavor than conventionally grown produce."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"The southwest Farmgirl henhouse organized a bag swap. I made two. The first was of a soft materials to roll into a purse. (I'm always bringing bags in the house and forgetting to put them back in the car so this was my solution). The second was a canvas bag that looked store bought. I decorated both with appliqué and buttons.

This was a great project and I enjoyed swapping to see how creative others can be."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"The first thing I did when I bought my house in 2007 was start a compost pile. I have since bought a compost bin.

So far, so good. Last year I added compost to the new garden bed I started."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Gaining Ground badge.

"I found some pallets and created two compost bins in the yard. My community has a recycle program and a compost program which I participate in. They take branches, leaves and weeds and then mulch the branches. The mulch is then available for free and I have run many loads and used it to create the native perennial garden on my roof (it's sod).

The corn cobs are a little slower to compost along with some of the bigger materials so I use the pallet bins for my longer materials and the bought bin for faster food scraps and leaves."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page