Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Any of you girls put in a kitchen sink yourself?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Any of you girls put in a kitchen sink yourself? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  06:54:07 AM  Show Profile
My mother bought us a new kitchen sink and faucet a couple of years ago, and we simply haven't had the money to have a plumber install it and I'm thinking to myself..."it can't be rocket science" and with the right tools, we should be able to accomplish this, right?

Will the garbage man take our old (avocado) sink?

What types of tools?

Any good online self help plumbing resources you recommend?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I can't help you but try to advertise the sink on Craigslist. Someone will take it. I would if I was closer.

I think This Old House online has some ideas on how to do it.

Good luck!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  08:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a public school near you? Many public schools have maintenece people that will do side work for a fraction of the cost! I work at a school and our guys are constantly making "house calls" for people.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  08:33:33 AM  Show Profile
We have many public schools right by us, Julie. That might be a great idea!!! We're trying to think of "smart" ways to spend our stiumulus package (that we haven't gotten yet :)).

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile
We had to replace our toilet last fall, and it was pretty basic (just wicked heavy). You may be able to find out all you need to know from the sales person at the hardware store.

Only thing I know for certain: shut off the water before you cut any pipes.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Amie, Jonni. Maybe ask somebody at a hardware or Home Depot store. Or try to find something online. If you do try to do it yourselves and you run into a problem or have a question during the 'adventure', if you call me, I'll call Major Mike on the 'hotline'LOL! and get instructions from him! He always thinks everything is 'easy'! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  09:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Ha, Amie...that's the truth, isn't it?

I think it should be fairly straightforward...I did find a diy site online with photos and stuff and step by step directions (like 30 steps?) and I printed it out to get only nothing but blank paper...so I'll look for another or ask my friend at the Florence Hardware store (he's like 80 and knows a lot)...and then, if in trouble, I can always get Janice to call Major Mike--I forgot that ALL things are simple to him!!!!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  1:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I got a new enamel sink last year and it's install was very simple for Rob. took the old one out-someone from Freecycle carted it off- stuck the new one in and did the necessary caulking or whatever and voila! new sink!

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  3:02:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree, if the Geez (a.k.a. my Dad) can do it, anyone can.
(He is a little like Tim the Tool Man from Home Improvement)

Take a few books out from the Library too!!!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
HI, I have done this before and was told by a plumber put the faucet on the sink before you put it in the sink hole, plumber's putty under the edge of the faucet and hook up the hoses to hot and cold water, use plumber's tape (white tape in a blue round container) on the hose connections( male end only). Always use on metal to metal connections. Use pliers, can use rag around pipe so you do not scar the metal with your tools. Of course, you have shut off the water to the hot and cold lines under the sink! This is easy, Have at it!

Find your joy and live it.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karen...I surely appreciate!!!! It gives me confidence to know you've done it and succeeded. I just have to make a trip and get a few tools and I'm ready. Going to take a week off first of June and I'll tackle it then!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  7:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Jonni
If you feed my Hoover of a hubby, he would probably do it for you; however, I do think it is kinda cool that you want to do it yourself
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Is your new sink the right size to fit in the old hole?? when you put the teflon tape on the male ends, make sure that you wrap is around clockwise. so that it tightens when you put the female part on.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:19:08 AM  Show Profile
It should be...I measured the old sink before choosing. I know that it is somewhat deeper, but not much. Then, I thought, "gee, as much as I love this gold flecked white 1960's countertop, why not see how much it would cost to do the whole thing?" So, I might just see about that, too.

Thanks for the tips on the male female thing...geesh, even in plumbing you have to make sure they work together :)

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Let us know how this turns out, please. Redoing the kitchen is next on our list of indoor jobs (this year is devoted to the outside of the house!)
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- You can do it! Tiling and sink/faucet repair were our first home improvement projects and we had NO experience at all. Just give yourself time and be ready for an extra trip or two to the hardware store. You might wanna save your old sink for an outside potting bench.
Keep us posted, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:51:07 AM  Show Profile
Rebekkah, thanks for the encouragement!!! I'm actually looking forward to attempting it...I have a couple of "girl" diy books and if THEY and the FARMGIRLS say I can, then I CAN.

What a great idea about the sink--did you mount yours into an old counter, or build something for it?

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Any of you girls put in a kitchen sink yourself? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page