Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Adding Ethanol to our gas . . . lowers our MPG!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Adding Ethanol to our gas . . . lowers our MPG! Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile
I am so frustrated. As if gas prices aren't bad enough. Now, Washington State has added 10% ethanol to it's gasoline and apparently it is now a law?! Gee, thanks Christine Gregoire! We have always had a touch of it added in the cold winter monthes, but now it is added year around. This is supposed to be for environmental reasons, but it actually adds more CO2 to the air. And, this is the really annoying thing . . . it lowers gas mileage. So now, we not only get to pay more than ever for our gas, we also get to have it not go as far as usual. Grumble, grumble . . .

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16931 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16931 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  12:45:16 AM  Show Profile
fyi, you're not alone in your grumbleing sister!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  06:03:40 AM  Show Profile
I hear you! I live in the ethanol capitol. There are 4 ethanol plants within 100 miles. Did you know it leaves deposits in your engine. Thats why you get the lower gas milage. Then you'll get this weird sluggish feeling when you excellerate. I almost got hit because I couldn't get through an intersection. I took it to a friend machanic, he said to run the high dollar gas with the detergents. It flushed out the "system" and it runs great!

DH never drove my car. Now that we have a minivan he occasionally drives. He get mad at me when I don't use the ethanol. Its cheaper. I said, "you mean CHEAP, not inexpensive."

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Brenda- We have the same law here in Oregon. I have a newer car and I went from 32 mpg to 27 mpg. It is horrible. So basicly I have to pay more because gas is more expensive and I have to fill up more often so I am paying more to the government in gas taxes. Funny how that works.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  10:04:34 PM  Show Profile
It just seems like there should be something we can do to fight it. It isn't helping the ecology . . . it is just a trade off and it is harming our cars and our pocket books. It just makes me so frustrated!!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  06:51:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it's just the enviroment they are worried about but being less dependent of foreign oil. I'd rather just drive less than have my mileage go down. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Aimee- you should see all the ethanol plants popping up here in Iowa! Almost every small town along railroad tracks is building an ethanol or biodiesel plant.

The nearest is an ethanol plant about 5 miles from us. My hubby and I joke that it looks like they are building a new city, but it really isn't funny. They changed the entire landscape, building it into a bowl shape in case of a leak or something. The amount of things they have to build is crazy! Plus the amount of water they use is ridiculous. My uncle did an experiment to check his gas mileage with ethanol and without and he said the gas with ethanol would have to be more than 18 cents a gallon cheaper for it to be worthwhile with the worse gas mileage. Which it isn't.

It isn't much cheaper because now the cost of corn and soybeans has skyrocketed, so I don't think it will be a money-saver. Plus, with all the flooding and late spring in the midwest, crops aren't going to be very good this year. And with the rise in corn prices come the rise in feed prices, and then the rise in meat and dairy prices to us. So not only are we paying more at the pump, but also a lot more in the grocery store.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Adding Ethanol to our gas . . . lowers our MPG! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page