Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A dog bothering my calves Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Hannah
Rexburg ID
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  3:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Help. We have a neighbors dog chasing and nipping at our calves. It has gotten pretty bad. The neighbor in question is a relative, things are already bad there and she is not going to take responsibility for this. Since the land is already the subject of dispute, this is not a good time to try to make her.

Is there anything that can be done to disuade a dog from coming on our property?

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:06:15 AM  Show Profile
sorry short and sweet, but once it starts it ain't going to stop.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Michele. In fact it may even get worse. I'm sorry there are hard feelings in your family, that is never easy. But I would give her one warning that you will not have her dog chasing your calves, then call the pound. You sort of have to be hardnosed about this I think...it's not at all fair to the calves.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I have to chime in here, having a bunch of sheep and all. I would call animal control - if you have it in your area - when the dog is in with the calves. The officer can come and "dispatch" the dog for you - as a livestock owner, at least in Utah, you have the right to protect your livestock. I'm guessing Idaho has a similar law/rule/statute or whatever it is. If the officer can't get there in time, and you are comfortable with a gun, then I'm with Michele - do the dispatch yourself. Just so your relative doesn't do something weird, if the relationship is already strained, I'd involve Animal Control.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Yep, and if Animal Control squirms around, take a 22 to the dog and be done with it. You might put a call into the Sheriff's office and file a report, just so there's an official record in case your relative puts up a stink.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  4:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Cody, we always talk to our neighbors first (have sheep here) but if that doesn't work, here's the code on our farm if you feel you have no alternatives (dog catcher, Sheriff, reasoning with the owner).

SSS - Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up.

Good luck. Just make sure you kill the dog and it stays on your property...and doesn't limp home. In other words, shoot to kill and mean it.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  4:22:50 PM  Show Profile
although I hate to read about or mention shooting to kill an animal..sometimes the dogs just get worse about things...and there isn't much else of an option.
Back when I was a girl we had 200 chickens that were on our property penned...but the neighbors had 2 doberman puppies that they refused to take responsibility for..needless to say ..within about 2 weeks time our 200 chickens dwindled down to a mere 50..if that... because the dogs would pounce on the pen fencing and cause the roosting chicks to fall over and then they'd attack them and leave them there..just for "sport"
So..yes they simply get worse once they start attacking things.And they'd come onto our property where we had rabbits in cages that we wre raising for show at the fair..they'd come up to the cages and literally rip the rabbits legs off of them from the bottom of the cages..sick and brutal..and so unnecessary...and so heart breaking to see.
So..if animal control doesn't help the situation..as mentioned... the shoot,shovel,and shut the mouth scenario works the best.
Sad for the poor dog..but once he/she has that streak going they don't stop with it ..and you certainly don't want them coming after you or any of your kids(if you have any) or anything else when they get that "wild streak" in them.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  7:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Couldn't you just take the dog to a local (or not so local) humane society and sign him in as a stray? If you don't want to sign the papers for signing him most humane societies have a "drop box" (outside cage) that you can put the dog in during times the building is closed so that they don't need to know who you are. If he is on your property he is a "stray" so it isn't really lying. I just hate to think of a dog being shot when he could instead maybe find a good home.
We had a stray dog that came around to our country house one time and we shot the gun up in the air (can also use fire cracker bangs) to scare it away. That worked and it never came back.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  9:04:41 PM  Show Profile
of course the shooting at it would be a last option in my book too..I hate the thought of killing something like that too.
so I hope that animal control can help you out.
but in the same regards you do have livestock to protect.

you mention the dog nipping at the calves?? is the dog a herding dog by chance? meaning does it have australian shepherd or border collie in it? if so then the "nipping" is merely the way it works on "herding" the animals.they do not nip to hurt, but rather to get the animal "in line"
but if it is actually out there trying to harm the animals, trying to attack them..then that is all together different.
if it is herding the animals you can watch it closely to see..it will try to "corral" the animals.
a border collie does this instinctively..it will want to work with the animals to "corral" them.and part of that is a light "nippiness" that they do.sort of a snapping their teeth without actually biting the animal, but a nippiness that won't break skin.
if it is this type of dog..it can actually be trained to be of benefit..if given the opportunity..but if it is not this type of dog..chances are it is merely gonna be an aggravation.
I thought I'd toss out that thought about the dog..since you had not mentioned what type it was.
I had a border collie that tried to herd everything and anybody around..she would run in front of you and all around you playfully nipping at your heels to get you to go exactly where she thought you needed to go.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Hannah
Rexburg ID
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:00:46 PM  Show Profile
The dog is a boxer and she is actually nipping to bite. It's just that the calves keep moving. I used to be so horrified when stray dogs on my grandpa's farm would get "lead poisoning" and get burried in the dump. I could not understand how my sweet grandpa could be so mean. But watching the calves running, bawling, eyes wide with fear- I get it. I am responsible for them. I have agreed to care for them. They are scared. They are getting hurt. I have to stop it. Some farm girl moments aren't that fun. The other thing that worries me is that the dog stampeded the calves right over my daughter. My 8 year old got knocked down by calves trying to wheel away from the dog and she fell in a ditch.

Ugh. Some farmgirl moments are less fun than others.

And the owner just thinks that she's the sweetest dog.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:39:25 PM  Show Profile
oh my..and then the calves running over your daughter could have seriously injured her..ouch!oh my!
well..I'd call animal control then for sure.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  10:25:56 AM  Show Profile
What a tough situation you are in Hannah. I've heard Boxers can get out of control if they are not properly trained. You SHOULD talk to your relative first and tell her flat out that if she can't keep her dog home, you ARE going to call Animal Control to either pick the dog up, or shoot it, whichever means will solve the problem. That might just be enough to convince her that, for her dog's sake, it's best to become a responsible dog owner and keep it home.
Really, all the blame can be layed right at HER door! So many people who live in the country think they can just let their dogs run free. Not so.

In our County, if a dog is running amok and causing damage and/or death to a persons livestock, the owner of the stock has every right to dispose of that dog (or dogs, if that's the case) WITHOUT notifying the dog's owner. AND, if the dog's owner is known, that owner is responsible to pay THREE TIMES THE VALUE of the lost animal(s). Which, in some cases can mean BIG MONEY!!!! I raise Babydoll sheep, which are about 2-3x more valuable than commercial sheep. I inform my neighbor's who have dogs that I see on our property that, unless they want to pay that kind of money because THEIR dog was in our pasture, then by all means, DON'T keep the dog home. Usually, I never see the dog outside it's own yard again, and if I do, the owner is not far behind it! I do this in a tactful way of course, because, after all, we ARE neighbors. But it's a lot easier to deal with strangers and casual aquaintences than it is FAMILY!! Good luck hon. Hope everthing works out for the best. ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  10:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Yes, being a farmgirl requires dirty work now and again. After reading your last post about your daughter and the severity of the harassment, I sure wouldn't sit on this situation too long.

The safety of your child comes first and foremost.

Secondly, those calves are not going to have a decent rate of gain being stressed like this so often...that's taking food off of your table with the lack of pounds they are gaining. When someone's irresponsibility affects my family...I draw the line and quickly. You know the old saying about good fences make good neighbors...it's so true.

Good luck Cody. I'm a hard-liner type of person, no "awwww" in me over this dog. It needs to go either home or eternal home.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Amen Jami. I'm an avid animal lover, and my animals get the best care and LOTS of love, but if an animal is a nuisance or a danger--- it's GONE--- one way or the other.

There IS a limit that some people just don't understand, and when it comes to a human life-- or the life of an animal-- it's a total no-brainer. That dog is more trouble than it needs to be and if the "Family member" won't deal with it, than YOU'LL have to take matters into your own hands Hannah. Honestly, if that had been MY child that got run over by those calves (and thank GOD they were CALVES and not FULL GROWN animals) that would have been the END of that dog right then and there!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  10:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Boxers are NOTORIOUSLY stubborn- believe me I own one and they must be put in their place at a young age. They see something running and think it is play time and they are a very dominant dog in the animal hierachy. Can you catch the dog and maybe drive a town over or so and drop of at a humane society or something??

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Hannah
Rexburg ID
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:19:02 PM  Show Profile
The farm is in a very rural county so there really isn't animal control that I can call. There is the sherriffs office, but they get around to it when they have time which may not be when the dog is there.

Anyway, we were spared the trouble. Another neighbor with cows called her and told her if he ever saw her dog again and it wasn't on her property, he'd shoot it. She was upset and talked to my hubby because she thought the neighbor was being unfair and making stuff up. So hubby got a chance to say what the dog had been doing to our cows without us being the ones "harrassing her". I did take a .22 to the farm Saturday. Hubby knows that I will shoot the dog if I see it again. Upside is, now that she knows everyone hates her dog, she won't assume I did it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Hannah
Rexburg ID
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you by the way. I appreciate the advice and support. I love dogs as much as anyone (recently diagnosed allergies aside) but I feel really mean trying to talk about this to non-farming folks. They can't understand why I'd want to hurt a dog. You guys understand that I don't.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Cody, thanks for the update. I was wondering what has happened. Figured the dog would "branch out" with his chasing behavior.

May your aim be straight and your nerves steady...if the other neighbor doesn't do the dreaded duty first.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A dog bothering my calves Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page