Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  05:47:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey yall , my chickens have started loosing their feathers. Can any of you tell me why and is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks karen

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen. They are probably molting. This is a normal process they go through, the feathers will grow back. Also they will stop laying eggs during this time.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:30:04 AM  Show Profile
Yep, what Lillian said. Ours go through this towards the start of summer. could be nature's way of cooling them off a little or making room for new ones.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  07:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Gee never thought of that, they look plum terrible, some are losing feathers others not. Well thanks for the great info.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile
How old are your chicken? Chickens that are less than a year should not molt. Lack of water on hot days can cause them to molt. Even 12 hours without water can cause this. Make sure they Always have lots of fresh cool water and change it daily even if they still have pleanty.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Mites can cause feather loss as well.

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  09:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Im not exactly sure how old they are ,several people gave them to me. Im sure they are over a year. And yes I keep water in their pens with this hot ga sun baking in. Its rough on me so I know it has to be on them bless their hearts dont have a home with ac. Lol. thanks for your great info. Karen
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile
How could I tell if they have mites or can I? And is there anything I can do for them?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:12:13 PM  Show Profile
do they have a sandy spot? They like to take dust baths which can help with mites.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile
also are they ALL losing feathers? If they came from all different people and are presumably at least slightly different in age then it seems unlikely they would all go into molt at the same time unless there is something causing it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:19:48 PM  Show Profile
also I need to clarify that they will loose feathers periodically when they are younger and grow I to their "big girl" feathers but this is not a full "adult molt" which usually happens once a year after that are atleast a year old.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Julie, to answer your question yes they do have a sandy place and no not all are loosing feathers just 5 maybe 6 out of about 30. I have lived on a farm just about my whole life but never really cared much about the place untill I put animals on it and I love any kind of critter I can get my hands on. Now I just have to learn all the nicks about each kind.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Mites will look like little moving grains of sand, mostly visible around their vents and under their wings. They move fast, so if you part some feathers look quick! I found out the hard way when a friend gave me an infested rooster a couple years ago. What a pain!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  2:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Is there something you can give them for mites?
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  5:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Well I had 40 infected hens by the time we realized what the problem was. I tried a natural mite powder and disinfecting the barn...a TON of work and it was a waste of time. My other option was a more toxic powder and that was not going to happen. So I talked to my vet and he and I researched it and ended up he sold me enough Advantage for 40 kittens <wink> ... (it's not "regulated" to use on chickens in Canada). It worked amazingly well, no side effects, no barn to disinfect...just two drops on each bird and no more mites. Done deal and they never came back!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  5:59:28 PM  Show Profile
I definitely will try it, Thanks so much for all the great info!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  03:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Also know that when a hen molts she stops producing eggs.

The stress to her system is too much for both to happen at the same time.

All mine decided to molt last winter long about the time I needed lots of eggs to sell for people's holiday baking. BAD timing!

If you see pin feathers where the old feathes used to be it's probably a molt with new feathers coming in.

Most free ranging birds are mite free due to being able to have access to dust bathing areas and not having to be so closly confined all the time
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! Just had to chime in here-- there IS another option to treating mite problems for ANY farm animal! I have tried it myself, and it works VERY well. I'm sure you've all heard of "Diotomatious Earth." It's also known as "D.E." If you buy a box of the GARDEN, or FOOD grade (NOT POOL grade-- it has added chemicals) you can sprinkle it directly on the birds and rub it into their feathers. You could also mix it with some of the sand they like to "bathe" in and let them take care of things themselves, AND you can sprinkle it in thier nests and on the floor of the chicken house. It should NOT be BREATHED in, as it is a lung irritant, but other than that, it is perfectly safe.

What it does is acts as GLASS to soft bodies critters like mites, beetles, slugs, etc.... They basically get all cut up and they die of dehydration. It does absolutely no harm to animals or humans.

My goats had a bad case of mites several years ago and, rather than using the "Poison" my Vet gave me (even though it's considered the "Safest" for animals) I used the DE instead. It worked like a charm I didn't have to worry about the goats getting sick if they licked themselves or eachother. I actually put it in their feed every once in awhile as well (about a 1/4c mixed with a small bucket of grain). It's loaded with minerals that are good for them and it will remain in their poop and help to break the "Worm" cycle-- if you have a problem with that as well. It will also kill the larvae of any insect that might develope in the poop too! You can buy it at some nurseries, farm/ranch supply stores, and even at the health food stores!

If your chickens ARE molting (which it sounds like they are doing-- and actually, they will not all molt at the same time) there is nothing you can do. Just keep caring for them in the same way you have been and, once the new feathers grow in, it's back to business as usual!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, Thanks so much for this great tip. Im not to far from a farm supply store. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  8:40:35 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome Karen. I learned that little trick from "Countryside" magazine a few years ago. While I DO question SOME of the methods people use to "treat" their animals, most of the tips and advice contained within it's pages are really good.

I do a lot of my own vet care (having a medical background certainly helps-- animals, people-- not much difference in some regards. Except ANIMALS complain A LOT LESS! LOL!) and I have a GREAT Vet who gives me lots of free advice and usually cuts me a good deal if, and when, I DO need him! I also try to do things as NATURALLY as possible, though I'm not opposed to certain man-made drugs should the animals ever need them. Fortunately, I've rarely had a case when they've needed them. Hope your girls recover soon! Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens loosing feathers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page