bec414
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

becky
saginaw mi
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile
I am curious how others have set up bathing in places with no running water. I have just added how we do it in my bolg.

Becky,
In the heart of Todd's home with my olive branches (Josie 11/96, Gabbi 9/98, Natalie 5/00, Daniel 9/02, Mary 9/04, and Tabitha 7/06) around my table. Ps 128:3

www.hillbilliesinabarn.blogspot.com

Edited by - bec414 on Jun 28 2008 7:32:27 PM

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Becky, You might be interested to see how a kindred spirit in Minnesota does her shower http://whitepines.blogspot.com/2006/01/do-it-yourself-shower-northwoods-style.html
When we first moved here we rented a cabin on a mountain ridge with no running water. We or should I say my husband used a camping solar shower. I washed my hair with it but opted to go to town where the laudermat had a pay shower. I think it was 50 cents for 10 minutes. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  9:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Becky.. very cute.. I love your little girls sledding in June.. How sweet is that?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Becky, love your blog ~ especially the pics of your children. They are so cute!

Your bathing area looks pretty cool. Isn't it surprising what we can do!

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile
What a neat blog you have and a wonderful way with words. MaryBeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Becky, I didn't see any bathing on the blog (unless it's the pond?) That solar shower in Minnesota sounds like a lot of work!

I discovered on a recent camping trip that sponge baths really work! I hate pay showers (I get all stressed out worrying that the water will shut off and I'll have to find more quarters while dripping wet and missing my glasses.) So I started taking a small bucket of warm water into the shower stall and just using the space to splash around. I was amazed at how little water it actually takes to get clean. I'm almost thinking about doing that in my own bathtub at home. It was actually easier to shave my legs without water washing the soap off constantly.

So if I ever have land, my plan is to start out by just taking sponge baths. But I can see that that might get old after awhile...
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile
We have an actual solar shower "kit"...it's out of plastic material (of course!) and folds up pretty flat, but has a "bladder" to hold the water that you lay in the sun to get hot (it gets warm fast!) and a shower stall that inflates at the top and bottom in tubes to stay stiff, snaps into a square shape and hangs from a tree. I always take along an old rubber welcome mat to stand on so my feet don't get all dirty or I wear flip flops. The bag of water hangs form the tree above and has a perforated nozzle to make a spray and has an on/off valve so you don't waste water. There are a few pockets inside the "stall" to hold soap and stuff. I'm sure there's a homemade version to try maybe out of canvas or something, but this thing keeps me camping because I have to have a shower after a couple of days or I go nuts. We usually dry camp and use the stream for watering our horses we take along, but haul our own water in gas cans (never used for gas).

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic bathing in your outpost Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page