True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile
from the old farmer's alamnac......

Watering Tip for Hot Days
Create mini-reservoirs for tomatoes, peppers, or squash from empty plastic milk jugs or soda bottles. With a sharp knife, cut several small, X-shape holes in the bottom, bury about half of the jug or bottle in soil between two plants, and refill as needed. The water will seep slowly and deeply down to where the plants’ roots can use it most.

Enjoy the Fruits
Don’t water your melons close to the base of the stems. Doing so can cause rot. Build up a little earth around the stems to keep water away.

Once melon vines have set three or four fruit, remove any new blossoms. The remaining fruit will benefit from this, and you will still have plenty.

Don’t tug too hard on your raspberries when picking. A ripe raspberry will leave the vine willingly.

It’s essential to mulch shallow blueberry roots to keep them moist. Wood chips are the longest-lasting and cheapest mulch.

Pick peaches two to four days before they are fully ripe. The fruit will continue to ripen normally, and the taste will be unaffected.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Love the tips. I like the idea of the gallon jug. Very dry here in Colorado so watering is tough. I'm mulching much of my yard to get rid of the grass areas. I'm getting ready to dig in a new garden and can't wait until planting season next year!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  9:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I love the one about the gallon jug. I definately will try that.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  10:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the milk jug idea (along with everyone else, lol)!!! So simple, but I bet it works great, especially in the hot climate I have to work with when I garden. The soil dries out in no time after watering with as hot as it gets, but this would help quite a bit. Thanks for posting it!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great tips Angi. Keep them coming!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic gardening tips Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page