Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 new member from southwest Michigan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic new member from southwest Michigan Next Topic  

farmwomanmsu
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

diedrie
coloma michigan
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  3:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,I brought Maryjanes mag at barnes and nobles bookstore and love the mag about time something for us farmwomen. I live in Coloma and grew up on a farm all my life and I work at a research station for MSU. I work with fruit trees. I also used to rodeo and had horses. I have a daughter married and I am divorced. I enjoy farming and my favorite was the hay field work. Hey does anyone know where I can buy something that has the smell of the hay field and silage? Like a candle or something? I miss those smells when I was growing up on the farm. We had all kinds of animals and I had a pet cow name whiteface.
Just saying hi to u all and have a happy 4th of July.

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Howdy from Texas Diedrie! I'm glad you found us-it sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us! You know, if I could figure out how to bottle the smell of fresh hay, horse sweat and leather, I'd be in heaven. Probably rich too! It's nice to know I'm not the only farmgirl that misses those smells :)
Welcome!
~kate

"You only have what you give...""

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  5:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Diedrie, Welcome...
I grew in Dry Land Wheat Country here in Washington State. I live in Prosser WA and we have a WSU experiment station here, mostly pit fruit and grapes... (heart of Washington Wine Country). I have 4 boys ranging in ages of 22-11... Currently I am a Wine Club Manager for Desert Wind Winery and my hubby works for Bolthouse farms (carrots)... anyway, glad you're here....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jul 02 2008 6:46:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  05:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Georgia, glad you found us. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  07:01:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Kentucky. My husband is from Michigan and I have a sis in law and a bro in law there. LaPier. I think you will really enjoy this forum. I do, I am new and I am kinda addicted already.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  07:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum! Have you read her 3 books yet? If you like the Magazine, then you will LOVE the books!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello from the East side of MI!! I'm new too! Just thought you'd like to know I used to teach down in Dowagiac! Small world eh!
Sorry I don't have any smelly hay links to hip you too. Me? I'd just sneeze all day!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome, you sound like you are going to fit right in. I loved your thoughts on new mown hay, the smell is delightful, there must be something out there with that scent....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome from Georgia! Hope to get to know you better. You will love it here.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  6:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Diedrie,
Alee is right the books are amazing and such a great value, I feel like everytime I pick them up I find a "new" thing to try or make.. and in case you arent aware you can order all the back issues of the magazine s from the farm.. Again we are so glad you're here.

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi diedrie! i grew up in st joe and hubby in hartford but currently (and hopefully forever!) we live in alaska! glad to see someone from my old stomping grounds! we left michigan 23 yrs ago and havent even visited for the past 10 yrs or so. i have friends and family in coloma area. try buying a little bag of the alfalfa hay cubes like for small animals. wont be quite the same but it sure helps! i used to do that when we lived in atlanta georgia and i would miss farming country! i have only been in this group for a short time but have found so much info and fun here! hope you do too! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  01:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Diedrie,
Hey the alfalfa cubes, hmmmmm how can we make that into candles? LOL You will fit in just fine sister,
Welcome,
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmwomanmsu
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

diedrie
coloma michigan
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi there Kate, yeah i miss those smells bad. Everytime I drive by a fresh cut hay field i stop and smell the fresh cut hay. I miss alot of things concern farming and I am glad I still do it on the station where I work. I was going to move to Texas at one time I love rodeos. I always had Quarterhorses. I like goman go breeding. I love the wide open spaces too. Thank you for your post and have a nice weekend.
Diedrie
quote:
Originally posted by farmgirlkate

Howdy from Texas Diedrie! I'm glad you found us-it sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us! You know, if I could figure out how to bottle the smell of fresh hay, horse sweat and leather, I'd be in heaven. Probably rich too! It's nice to know I'm not the only farmgirl that misses those smells :)
Welcome!
~kate

"You only have what you give...""

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate

Go to Top of Page

farmwomanmsu
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

diedrie
coloma michigan
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:29:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rene,
Where I work at we also have grapes and mad they are hard to take care of and picking them when u have to count every cluster you put in the grape lug from the one vine and one time i got 778 off one vine. Main boss has a grape show around the 20 something of this month and mad is there alot of wine to taste and i do not like the dry ones. This part of southwest michigan is also wine country and there is alot of wine tasting places. I like working with the fruit trees better.
Thank you for your post and have a happy 4th of July weekend
Diedrie
quote:
Originally posted by prosserfarmgirl

Hi Diedrie, Welcome...
I grew in Dry Land Wheat Country here in Washington State. I live in Prosser WA and we have a WSU experiment station here, mostly pit fruit and grapes... (heart of Washington Wine Country). I have 4 boys ranging in ages of 22-11... Currently I am a Wine Club Manager for Desert Wind Winery and my hubby works for Bolthouse farms (carrots)... anyway, glad you're here....

Go to Top of Page

farmwomanmsu
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

diedrie
coloma michigan
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow someone that used to live n the area and now lives in Alaska! St Joe is about 12 miles from me I am close to Lake Michigan right on Hagar shore road a road called Clymer road. I am close to the place they call Lake Michigan Beach area. I am northwest of Coloma. I too would love to leave Mich after living here all my live and looking into a log cabin with woods and a lake to go fishing and feed the wild animals. Nothing beats the smell of fresh cut hay and everytime I drive by one I roll down the windows or stop and smell the hay field. I used to work the hay field since I was 11 yrs old up to age 55. I love being on the farm used to hate it when i was a kid. Good to hear from you hope we keep in touch, have a happy 4th and God be with u there.
Diedrie
quote:
Originally posted by eskimobirdlady

hi diedrie! i grew up in st joe and hubby in hartford but currently (and hopefully forever!) we live in alaska! glad to see someone from my old stomping grounds! we left michigan 23 yrs ago and havent even visited for the past 10 yrs or so. i have friends and family in coloma area. try buying a little bag of the alfalfa hay cubes like for small animals. wont be quite the same but it sure helps! i used to do that when we lived in atlanta georgia and i would miss farming country! i have only been in this group for a short time but have found so much info and fun here! hope you do too! peace connie in alaska

Go to Top of Page

farmwomanmsu
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

diedrie
coloma michigan
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank You for the welcome. Can I buy her books at barnes and nolbes? Which one should I read first? I love the first mag I got and its this summer 08 issue and have read it alot of times.
Happy 4th of July,
Diedrie
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Welcome to the forum! Have you read her 3 books yet? If you like the Magazine, then you will LOVE the books!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Diedrie...welcome and enjoy the forums!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  11:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
diedre is that near jean clock park? or mitpah park drive? i just spent 20 minutes on mapquest looking for this road! i wasnt sure i remembered the name correctly! my "aunt and uncle" lived there and i spent alot of time in the area. brain just wont pull up the names that i want! arrrgh its been too many years since i have been there lol. have you ever been to the house of david in benton harbor? or deer forrest in coloma? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  05:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Diedre, Welcome from another Kentucky farmgirl. My husband and I live on a 150 acre farm we bought from his grandmother in 1970. He also farms 600 more acres with hay, tobacco, soybeans and cattle. We have 3 grown daughters and 4 grandchildren. I am a 7 year retired elementary teacher. I have really enjoyed retirement. I have only been on this site for about 4 months and I love it. I have gotten so much helpful information--especially the homemade laundry detergent! Have a great 4th of July.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  08:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Diedrie! Glad to meet you and Happy 4th of July to you too!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  2:14:40 PM  Show Profile
OMG! I am from St Joe and my bestest friend in the world lives on Coloma North Rd - right off Hagar Shores! I just joined this group and so I am thrilled to see a neighbor of sorts. I live in Wisconsin now, but go "home" for fruit to can every year (and of course to see my bud). Great to meet you!
Mary
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic new member from southwest Michigan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page