herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  11:10:20 AM  Show Profile
I just read this blog.My husband bought me a lab-grown engagement ring back in 2006 when they first came out. It's gorgeous.A triple set design.Looks like an Heirloom.He paid a bigger price than they are now because they were new then. He saw that same ring advertised in a magazine just a few months later,a LOT cheaper, called the company and asked and they said it was because now they're all the rage, and cheaper. Go figure. I love it and him anyhow! hahaha

Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile
After reading this, I believe that I am going to get a new engagement ring. The diamond I have is about 150 years old and the cheap kay jewelry setting a bunch of the prongs are moving. One of these days...

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:02:24 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has many beautiful real diamonds. But, the one she went absolutely gaga over was a magnificent moissanite set. iT was only $1100 by the time all the discounts were taken off it that included insurance on it. It was at Christmas time and her husband got it for her present. It is a huge center stone just totally surrounded top and bottom with smaller stones. It sold for $5400, originally but a diamond set that large would of been 3 or 4 times that much. She is one happy camper with it!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

just wanted to pass a along a few thoughts.

Moissanite is quite beautiful. It has an interesting history on how it came to be. To me the small stones (less than a carat) have the best color. Be careful buying on ebay. (I am a seller and a buyer on ebay, just be careful). I bought my mom a past,present,future from an ebay dealer that had great feedback. A year and a half later two of her stones fell out because the prongs on the setting were very flimsy.

Do some personal research about the pros and cons of the manmade diamonds. People that are selling say what they think the buyer wants to hear. No matter what you decide on; shop around for the best price.

I do like diamonds, particularly antique and vintage pieces. I have never heard of the Canadian diamonds.

At this time in my life, knowing what I know now there are so many things that I would change about being a consumer. People in third world countries pay the price for rich countries greed. They suffer unspeakable atrocities.

If you want an engagement ring there are many options that will fit your budget and taste. Just do a bit of self education.

Good luck,

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Feel silly - didn't realize the post was started two years ago. And here, I thought, I was giving just wise counsel. I wonder what she got?

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  11:48:09 PM  Show Profile
My most favorite ring is the one my husband gave me for our 20th wedding anniversary- a princess cut aquamarine stone ring...prettier than any diamond.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  03:12:09 AM  Show Profile
aw, chickie, thats so sweet!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  8:25:24 PM  Show Profile
My wedding rings have sapphires. There are two rings, one with a 1 carat solitaire with smaller stones channel set on either side and the other ring sits on the outside of my band with 5 cut stones on a band. I love the way the sunlight makes the blue sparkle and they didn't cost a fortune. Not sure what they would be today. That was 35 years ago. I get more compliments that you can imagine on them. And sapphires are in the same hardness scale as diamonds. You could call them blue diamonds.

And I just want to add one more thing. I am really tired of advertisers promoting a product that suggest if we don't buy it, that we are "less than" what they are telling us we should be. I'm a rebel that refuses to believe that nonsense. It comes from being a true blue farm girl.!!

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!

Edited by - Arctic Flower on Apr 07 2011 8:31:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Just to let you all know a lab created diamond is identical to a natural diamond in all ways...they have just been able to boost the growth of it....but its materals/compounds are the exact same as found in nature. & when tested will show up as a diamond (since it is) it is very hard for even the experts to tell a lab created one from one dug from the ground.
CZ's no longer have that cheap factor to them as they once did....they do hold up well & are very hard to crack or chip....if you have ever looked at a CZ & a diamond at the same time you will see that they create a rainbow of colors in the light....CZ's tend to be very bright & shoot the colors in a certain direction...diamonds are bright but they shoot the colors a bit differently....ok you have had your lesson for the day...lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  5:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I'm glad I read this thread! Had no idea about all this.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Man Made Diamonds Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page