Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  7:28:28 PM  Show Profile
I have jalapeno peppers coming out my ears. Help! I have sliced them and canned them in a vinegar brine, but still have a great deal of them. Does anyone have another way to preserve them? I have heard of jalapeno jelly, but have no idea what to do with it. Does anyone dice them and can for use in Mexican dishes?

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Shirley,
Slit them open and remove the seeds. Stuff them with cheddar cheese sticks and then wrap them in bacon. Secure with a toothpick and put them on the grill until the bacon is cooked and the pepper is toasted. Delish!! I have also used them whole, when cooking red beans and rice. I drop a pepper in along with my beans and it gives it a really nice flavor. You could also stuff them with cheddar cheese and batter them up and fry them to make cheddar peppers.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  7:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Jalapeno Salsa Ball Blue book of Canning.

I would take them to our local mexican resteraunt too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  8:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Shirley- Jalapeno jelly is great! We use it for dipping chicken strips in or putting on a cracker with yogurt cheese. If that is not to your liking you can also dry them and then grind them up in a food processor to make a powder for seasoning your food. Do remember that food banks take produce from gardens and are always happy to have stuff come in.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Shirley - I have a recipe for candied jalapenos that's been a great success for me. If you want the recipe, just email me and I'll send it to you. You mix it with cream cheese for a spread, although I have a couple of people who just eat it with crackers straight out of the jar!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  9:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Can the stuffed peppers be saved? Freeze them before frying or after?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  07:49:42 AM  Show Profile
What you use the pepper jelly for is...dipping egg rolls in it..yum!!!! Or stirring into bbq sauce to make it much better!
I am dealing with an abundance of Anaheim peppers today. I am chopping and freezing them in 1 cup amounts...perfect to add later to casseroles, etc. I always pickle some too...and have been putting them in most everything...but they do freeze well once chopped...I just love peppers. I will have plenty for my salsa this year when the tomatoes finally ripen. The peppers are always ready first.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  9:53:25 PM  Show Profile
I honestly haven't tried to freeze the stuffed peppers, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. For the stuffed peppers that gets battered, I would let the battered peppers set for a few minutes to "dry" on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Do not fry. Then put the peppers cookie sheet and all in the freezer to freeze the peppers. When frozen, you can transfer them to ziploc bags. Think about how breaded frozen okra looks when you buy it. :) You should be able to take out what you want and fry them up as you would the frozen okra. Like I mentioned, I haven't tried to freeze them like this, but after seeing all of the frozen and breaded veggies in the grocery store, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I know that you can buy frozen jalapeno poppers. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Jalapenoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page