Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Sewing Machine Advice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Machine Advice? Next Topic  

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  05:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Friends,
Another craft tragedy last night here in ohio. The peddle on my vintage singer sewing machine began to smoke & nearly caught fire beneath my foot! (no, I am not kidding!)
I was working on small project. My DH & I heard this crackling sound, and when I looked down there were sparks shooting from the machine!

DH was planning on getting me a new machine for christmas, so I'll just be getting one sooner (later this week) Any sewing machine recommendations in the less than $300 range?

J

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Edited by - Judes on Nov 14 2005 08:58:33 AM

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  08:01:45 AM  Show Profile
What do you use your machine for mostly? If you don't need anything more than a straight stitch, I would get a new peddle for your machine. I love my old singer featherweight for quilt piecing and general sewing. I just bought a fairly new Babylock (maybe two or three years old) from my local sewing store. It cost me about $300 and I love it. I bet if you went down and looked for a lightly used machine you could find a really nice one for a good price. Mine was a trade in for someone who really wante more fru-fru stuff like more advanced embroidery capabilities.

Good Luck,

Tania
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  08:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I haven't used my machine for much. It was given to me years ago by the son of a tailor, whose father passed away. Noone wanted his singer, and he had noticed my penchant for all things creative so I ended up inheriting it. It's been "tuned up" etc...but I think it's just on it's last leg. I know some are attached to their older machines, which I completely understand. But I just haven't had any luck with this one, and I am tired of having it fixed. I'm hoping to find a newer one, with a few fancy stitch options. Something for a relative beginner, but with a few professional bells & whistles (extra stitches, etc) Are there any brands to stay away from?

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Jude -- you are so lucky to have a vintage Singer. Definitely get that foot peddle fixed. Those old machines are the best!

I have 3 machines - an old Morse (which I need to get running), a 16 year old JC Penney, and my 4 year old Singer. I love my Singer because it has about 60 fancy stitches (which I hardly use) but I love the older ones for heavier sewing. I looked at a Brother at Wal-Mart on Saturday that I'm thinking about getting. It is set up mostly for quilting and has the quarter inch foot, long bed, and attachments to do machine quilting -- and 109 stitches! Even though it has stuff for quilting it would be a great machine for regular sewing too. It was less than $200. If you're just wanted a fairly simple, and inexpensive, machine I would stick with Singer or Brother.

My dream machine is a Bernina but that will only happen if I ever I have a large amount of cash to spend!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Jude- I agree with Kay, fix your Singer( the old machines have the best straight stitching around. A Bernina, Husquevarna or Viking are top of the line machines and you are looking at 1-2,000, easy (yes, a BIG pile of money is required!) I have an old White with attachnments (a ruffler, smocker etc that was Mom's, but I use a portable Singer Quilter long arm (removable) with about 32 fancy stitches most of the time. If you have a Sewing Machine/ Vacuum place they may get trade ins that you can get a great machine for a good buy.Hope that helps, happy stitching!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  5:04:27 PM  Show Profile
One of the best things you can do is call the machine repair shops and ask them which ones they see that seem to need the most repair. Service is a big deal too. I hate our viking repair folks because they always want to sell you up to a more expensive machine and I don't think their service is all that great. I owned a viking for 20 years, but when I wanted a new machine I stayed away from Viking because of the poor service in my area. Take your time to shop. I would fix your old one and then you have all the time in the world to look for a new one(research big time). Sewing machine dealers, piano dealers, and car salesman are all in the same catagory I have found.

Good luck,

Tania
Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  5:12:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you will find anything new on the market worth having for less than $600 and then I ?? just how long it will last. I bought a 1954 Singer 306 completely refurbished on Ebay for less than $300 with shipping from Canada. It is an awesome machine with all metal parts. I have a Singer I bought new 3 years ago for about $300 and it is hosed-----mostly plastic parts that aren't meant to be fixed. I have seen some of the Singer Touch and Sew machines from the late 60's and early 70's on Ebay for not much money. You would be better off with one of those than new unless you are able to spend a couple of grand.

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have a 3 (?) year old Brother Pacesetter 2800 which was under 300$ and I love it. It does free motion quilting, superb buttonholes, and has a great fancy buttonhole stitch for machine applique, my three requirements! I use my machine every single day and have had nothing but happy times with it.I had a vintage Kenmore before and had such a hard time getting parts anymore I donated it away. That is something to consider, and also take into account how much you use it.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  8:37:23 PM  Show Profile
My Singer is 4 years old and I paid less than $300 for it. I sew every day because that is my business. I've never had a problem with the machine. When I bought this one I was looking at a Viking for $900 and found the Singer that all the same features. I figured I could either go into debt for the Viking or pay cash for the Singer. So I chose to pay cash and buy what I could afford.

Judes, the one thing I would recommend is to determine how much you're going to sew, what you're going to be sewing, and what your budget is. I have a friend who doesn't sew much but went out and bought an embroidery machine. There are so many bells and whistles on that thing that I am confused when I sit down with it and I've been sewing for over 40 years. She will never use a fourth of the stuff that's on that machine and overspent for what she is going to be using it for.

On another note -- I bought my 11 year old a sewing machine tonight for her Christmas present. I was flipping through the channels and stopped on HSN -- wrong thing for me to do usually. But this is one of the little machines that only does a straight stitch and it will be perfect for her to learn on. It was only $19.95 plus shipping and came in four colors. Of course I got the pink one because that is her favorite color too! It even comes with the accessory kit of thread, bobbins, needles, etc. I'm so excited -- I can't wait for Christmas to come so I can give it to her.

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  8:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
The happy ending (&new beginning!) to my sewing machine dilemna, is a Singer 815J....hiding in the cupboard in my Mother in Law's dining room. This hasn't been used since she made her wedding dress...long long ago. It sews beautifully! And I can use it as long as I like. (If I do her mending for her, I'm sure I can keep it indefinately!) The only thing is that the manual is missing. Can anyone tell me how to use the zig-zag buttonhole attachment? I can't even figure out how to attach it to the machine. I deeply appreciate any help on this matter. I'm a quick learner, so I just need a little guidance. My pending sewing projects thank you.

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  11:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Judes -- lucky you! Sounds like a wonderful machine. Try going to the Singer website to see if they have a manual. Or check on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  11:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Are you sure that's the right model number? I checked the website and you can get manuals for old machines but no 815J comes up. I also checked eBay and nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  12:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Ah Sorry! It's 185J. Typed it in wrong. It's circa 1959/1960. This confuses me slightly, because it looks decades older than the 1964 Touch & Sew Singer I was already using. The new old one is two toned green. I know how to use the machine itself. Just don't understand that weird shaped buttonhole, zigzaggy thing. I've always been fine with just straight stitching, but I'm getting craftier than usual with my craftiness & things that normally wouldn't, now seem to want buttonholes & fanciness!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  08:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Ah that's much better. Here's the link to the manual on the Singer site. http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much, Kay! I wonder why the 1964 machine works terribly, and this older one (by 4 years) is so much better. I could feel the difference immediately. Plus, this one looks more vintage and it looks so cute and endearing in my sunflower yellow kitchen!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  11:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Judes -- I did a search on eBay so I could see a pic of your machine. It is so cute!! You are so lucky. This would be a perfect machine for quilting.

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  01:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
It's doing a great job so far. And cuteness is so important in a sewing machine. (it is when you live in a shoebox like me) Thanks for the advise & the links everyone!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile
I love old machines. My Elna that I got new in the early 70's, finally has quit winding bobbins, so I have gone back to my MIL's slant needle zigzag Singer. Have no idea when it was new, but I really like it. It was the first electric machine that I had ever used. Still works like it did in 1970 when I first used it. It is the kind with cams that make the fancy stitches. Part of the problem with the newer machines, is they have plastic parts inside instead of all metal. They wear out faster.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, I think part of working on an old machine, is that they were kinda made to be more industrial. I'm more confident using this old one than I am with new ones I've tried. Maybe it's because I'm not afraid of it breaking. I am developing a crush on this one. A) because it's working! B) because it's cute ...& C) because it saved my DH & I alot of money!

www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile
one of you ya-ya's asked about a 'child's sewing' machine ... i said i'd research the name of the one i got for my daughter ... JANOME ... got it at Hancock Fabrics .. and they have a CHILD's Sewing Machine that the salesclerk told me is a wonderful machine for a child beginning to sew. not a toy .. but doesn't have lots of 'bells and whistles' .. but the same quality as the 'adult' machines. and i think it is only about $25 or $30. you might want to check into it. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Kitsune
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Denton Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I haven't posted anywhere for a while so I hope I'm doing this right. I'd like some advice. I've got a 10 year old who's interested in learning to sew and my 7 year old's saying the same though I think she's not really ready yet.

Our goal is to sew some historical dresses for...you guessed it, American Girl style dolls. My mother started me on Barbie patterns and I dumbly did the same with my 14 year old who was quickly turned off since it's really hard to turn those teensy little sleeves. Since I picked up an A.G. Samantha for a song and have gotten some Battat clones for about $5 each we're ready to start. The 7 year old is particularly keen to start us/me on some dresses for her 18th century redheaded doll. And I'm keen.

I'm trying to figure out what to do to give the girls some hands on lessons, whether to recondition the embarassingly large amount of old family machines lying around here and there or to give them the new Janome Mini-Sew that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics this weekend (it was the only one so I grabbed it but can return it if I want). Couldn't find any ratings on this machine on the web at all.

Here's what I've already got ...an old Viking 190 for general sewing that I picked up at a garage sale about 10 years ago when I decided the old Pfaff that my Mom gave me (from the 1970's) would never be right even after getting a service at an "authorized dealer." I like this machine but have never done buttonholes. I have my grandmother's 1960's Singer that worked about 10 years ago but has been sitting in a box. I also have a clone of my mother's 1950's or 40's machine (she decided to give it to my adopted brother's daughter whom he did not raise in a sudden fit of "grandmotherliness" though the 20 year old doesn't sew or want to.). Mom's old Singer was great, sewed tent canvas and I grew up hearing it hum while she made clothes, dresses and mended. Used it in college on outfits, etc. The clone ran pretty well when I picked it up at a garage sale but the wiring is cracking as it does on old machines.

What do y'all think? I could keep the Janome if you've heard good things about it and upgrade the 10 year old to one of the other machines later on when I decide where to service them. Figures I sold the ideal machine, a nice 1970's Sears portable about a year ago when we finally moved to a bigger house but that's usually how it goes, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  9:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kitsune!!
I am the same situation as you are...two little girls wanting to sew..and American girl dolls are their fashion victims!! I made the huge mistake of buying them cheap Singer mini machines which were not worth the low price I paid..I have heard that the Janome is better, but I don't know first hand. I plan to save up and get my girls a used machine or if that fails a machine from Walmart..the about $80 one to start..for them to share and use. They have hand sewing down now and have made beanbags and smallish things on the mini machines. They have been cutting out clothes for their AG dolls (my 9 year old looks exactly like the A. G. Molly doll she loves and older daughter, who is 11 looks like her Kit doll!!) so we will see. If I were you I would let them use one you have ...basic is best. I still use my aunt's turquiose Singer from the early 60's..very basic but does what I need. I do have a newer singer that is very basic too, but want to set the girls up separatly.
Good luck. I know someone here will have an answer to you about the mini machine. I am glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I bought a mini machine (not Janome) for my 11 year old for Christmas. It was a huge mistake. It is just not heavy duty enough to sew more than a couple of layers of cotton fabric together. I have my old JP Penney which I'm going to give her. I'm getting it cleaned and serviced. As far as projects to start them on -- Steph is learning to do a rag quilt. Straight simple lines, goes quickly, helps her get the feel of sewing, and she can have it to snuggle with. We're putting the mini up for sale on eBay.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kitsune
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Denton Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  6:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks both of you and glad to be here. Guess I ought to bite the bullet and dig out the old machines. I'm looking for an older Felicity doll but don't want to go eBay. Will just have fun hunting with my girls. Do you have any ideas of where to go for any free on-line patterns? I've got some for the 1906 doll but am looking for 18 century pieces. Have got some old calico from a pair of drapes my grandmother took down in the 1970's with nice patterns and I'm itching to use it on something with a big skirt. Or maybe I'll use it for doll bed hangings. When my parents sold off their old farmhouse last year I took what I could but a lot of her 34 years worth of sewing supplies and material just disappeared. Wish I'd had the sense to grab them, but when you're running garage sales, you're lucky to stay sane.
Go to Top of Page

Kitsune
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Denton Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  9:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Me again. When I had a friend over to see my craft/sewing/garage room and told her the girls were ready to sew, my husband jokingly said that I had 3 sewing machines. I snorted.

I've got MORE besides the old Viking 190 that's been my friend.

So today I decided to drag out my mother's old Pfaff 1222, a German machine built like a truck but not as cute, and dang, I discovered that the take-up lever's been sheered off. Took it into town in hopes that they can find the part which they said that they might as they think they've got a 1222 being stripped for parts in one of their 3 stores. Found out that the machine can sew 3 layers of LEATHER or 6 layers of DENIUM. Whoa. Also dug up my grandmother's old slat needle Singer and got that working (she died in 1987 and it's been sitting in a box since then in a Texas attic) but the thread's way out of wack and have to figure out how to adjust it (have the book). Grandma had the side cover partly taped on and got to find that. The 1951 Singer I picked up out in the country looks like I can fairly easily rewire it so I'm off to Home Depot in the next few days. I can hardly wait.... we can get SEWING. That's after I put more pre-emergent on the lawn to kill off the burrs, rake the leaves, figure out how to fix the rotted posts in the fenceline and, I hope, root some of my parents' blackberries that actually survived the summer (but bore no fruit).
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Machine Advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page