Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  11:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that Gary made it through the surgery without any problems. Jr. Mint catastrophies in one's knitting bag.....horrors!!!!lol. I had the kids knock an open can of Pepsi in mine one time and it became the stuff of family legend as I was chasing them around the yard with a knitting needle!! Let's just say they were ever so careful after that and I never had anything even close to that happen again. I never did catch them the little buggers but I think they always wondered what I would have done if I had. Now they are in their mid twenties and laugh about it when they tell the story.

Glad to see your post, Sarita. I was wondering how things are going for you. How is Angie doing these days? Hope she is feeling better. Does she know what gender on the baby yet? We have been having a lot of coyotes in close too. The hunters don't help as they leave the guts around which draws them in.

Today it's more of getting ready for snow - we could get our first taste the middle of the week. I have to get the stock tank heaters in and going as we are heading down into the upper 20's at night next week. Nothing worse than breaking ice in the stock tanks. Time to plug in the chicken water too. I don't know about anybody else but I'm just not mentally ready for this yet. Being a La Nina year our winter could go either way but the last two times it was record snows. I hope not....

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, In the end it all washed out and the yarn was fine, but I could have kicked myself for even putting the box of mints in there in the first place! I would have been chasing my kids around too if they knocked a can of Pepsi into my knitting!:) Gary is doing pretty good today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  7:08:38 PM  Show Profile

Did you guys notice the cool new button at the top of the reply box? I can upload images now without looking like an idiot! This is a picture of the new Shetland ram. His fleece is gray on the tips, but white underneath. He is managing to find every briar in the pasture. He is becoming tame simply because he has to be caught so many times to have things removed from his wool.

Sarita, so good to hear from you. I have been thinking of you often. And Angie, too. Stan and I are discussing applying to be a vendor at Bethel next year, so maybe we will get to meet sometime in person.

Monica, so glad your hubby came through okay. I hate accidents with projects. I have a cross stitched picture that was about 3/4 of the way done, when a mouse apparently chewed some of the threads and the fabric. This happened years ago, but I still get steamy every time I think about it.

Stan bought me a utility wagon today. It is going to make chore time so much easier. You can only carry so many feed buckets and so much hay at once. We were making multiple trips back to the barn to get everything. Our pastures are really strung out, so I was sure getting my exercise. This little wagon will hold most of a square bale, which is wonderful.

I am so looking forward to the extra hour tonight. I may just knit!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  7:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
I wrote a long note this morning, and then "poof" it was gone! So, I'm gonna try again.
Monica, you have too much stress in your life, lady! If your life ever settles down, you are not gonna know what to do with yourself! LOL! Glad to hear Gary is doing well. May he have a speedy and complete recovery.
Sarita, thanks for your kind comments...on my blog and here. So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I'll put you on my prayer list.
Sheri, So glad you're having fun with your friend. I have a friend coming to visit (only for a week) in December. I haven't seen her for about 10 years. I am very excited. I think it's so neat your friend is staying the winter. I hope some of my friends will want to do that here someday.
Lori, a friend of mine and I are also thinking of having a booth/table (being vendors) at Bethel next year! If so, see you there!
Grace, congrats on re-opening your farm store. I hope it goes well for you.
I am really hoping to get my handcraft business going within the year. I have enough of everything I make. I need to start selling some stuff so I can justify cotinuing to make it! LOL!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I am at work so I can't take but a minute on my lunch break. Angie is going to see whether she is having a boy or girl today. Please keep her in your prayers, I know everything is OK but it never hurts to have others talking to God about a healthy new baby to bless their lives.
I am thinking of buying a RV and doing shows next year too. I hope all goes well and the wool stays nice and clean this year...
Lori, your new ram is a nice one. How big is your flock now?
Kids in hall...got to go.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:42:30 AM  Show Profile

I thought I would try the picture thing - hope it works. I just sent out the door 5 skeins of this yarn to Hamburg Germany. I have had quite a bit of sales overseas in the last two weeks - Happy Dance!

Love the picture of the ram - what a stunning boy Lori. Just watch out that he does not get too friendly he might think you would be a great date...

I will be keep Angie in my prayers and any ideas as to the sex. My DIL hated that I know the sex before she got the tests - All I have to do it touch the expentant Mom and I usually know. Strange but a great shower game...

Monica everything going O.K. - I had a dream about you last night, still praying for a smooth move, Gary Healing and Your time to breath.

Rae I know you are swamped and we are all trying to get these farms and animals ready for winter but just ckecking to make sure all is well.

I better get myself back to work - did a ton on Sunday and this is the last warm day 75 before the 32 tomorrow - like the saying goes "Don't like the weather in Colorado wait 10 minutes it will change" Have a wonderful day ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  7:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I love the picture! So excited for you to get a wagon! You are truly a girl after my own heart! I love it when hubby gets me things I really want and could use!

Brenda, That is so true, but I will figure out something to do! I never imagined how hard it would be to pray for someone who is despitefully using you! I am really to the conclusion that Gary's boss is just messing around with us and dragging his feet on getting the last few things done because there is just no reason the house could not be finished up in a day! It has now been a week and a half since the carpet was put in and nothing has been done since and there are only 3 things left to finish! I am determined to carry on cheerfully no matter what he does!

Sarita, I hope that Angie is feeling better! I will continue to pray for her!

Grace, I love the yarn! Sales for me have been slow, but I am getting ready to have a Big Sale on etsy and my website so hopefully that will help! I am having trouble finding the time to list things and I have a bunch of things to list! Gary is doing really good, in fact much better than I had anticipated! I don't have a clue when we will get moved! At this point it just doesn't matter to me any more!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Monica my heart just aches for you and your family. I wished Gary would change his mind about snow - the funny farm could be tons of fun.

I can't believe I got the picture thing to work - I have such bad luck with techno things.

We had 75 degrees here and now we are to have 1 to 3 inches of snow tomorrow - got to love Colorado weather. I have been packaging fiber all day long for the farm shop and hope to get some listed in the next day or two. I know what you mean Monica - that is the hardest part of this business.

I am looking closely at a couple of my goat girls because they are very very round. I would hate to think they got an early breeding but if so not much I can do about that now. I hope to sit with them Tuesday or Wednesday and see if I can get fetal heart beats checked. Kasha has not been doing to well the past couple of weeks - looking to see if there is any herbal rememdies that might ease her medical issues. Seems to always be someone who is in need including tonight this soar farm gal. While moving and fixing the huge gates Sunday I think found myself today with a very soar shoulder - I guess I forgot it takes two to lift and fix those bad boys. Oh Well the heating pad will do.

Had a quick question anybody make a homemade salve for cracked hands??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  9:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I know it just stinks, but I am determined to keep my chin up even though sometimes I want to scream and cry! It's so wrong, but that is on him! I am still praying to someday move to Litchfield Ohio!!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  07:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Monica~ I sure hope everything speeds up for you! How FRUSTRATING!!!

Grace ~ The yarn is beautiful! I really like your color combination. I think it is really fun to know that something you created with your own hands is going all over the world!

Sarita~ Our flock is huge (for us!). I find that out every time I pay the feed bill. We now have 27 wool sheep, 5 hair sheep, and then the rest of the crew of cows, goats, donkeys, and dogs. I made new business cards yesterday because our old ones only covered our yarns and rovings, and I wanted something on them about our sheep and fleeces for the upcoming show. With all the breeds we have, it was really hard to come up with a concise listing.

Let us know about Angie! Still praying for her!

I didn't get much done yesterday. Ended up with a full blown migraine. Thankfully, it is gone this morning. So now I have double the laundry and such to get done. So what am I still doing here? :)

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Nov 09 2010 07:36:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  6:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Winter is almost on us now, are you all ready for the blowing snow and the freezing temps? My sheep have really long and thick wool so I think they will be warm. It is me that dreads the cold!
Sounds like everyone is very busy. Monica, hope you and Gary can get moved in and Gary can get back to 100% soon.
Angie is doing better. We found out the sex of the baby yesterday and everything looks good...I will let her tell you the good news! I am so excited for her. God has blessed us.
I am still waiting on my yarn to come from the processor. I was hoping they would get that back to me and if I am satisfied with their work, I have several more fleeces ready to go.
I plan to go to Columbia Mo this Saturday. Their Weaving and spinning Guild has a sale and I have went several years. I have talked about joining their Guild but as I get older, I enjoy driving less and less. Danny and I sometimes just do a road trip and come home when we get tired and that is now how we travel. We are good on one day trips if we can be home and rest up the next day.

For those of you thinking about doing shows next year, what do you plan to sell: fiber, dyed yarns, or both?????

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Nov 09 2010 6:39:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  6:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita,
I am thinking about making some wool drying baskets as well as some actual baskets made of wool! I also am planning to sell some felted things...but not sure exactly what yet. My firend will probably have some of her weavings for sale, and maybe some of her yarns.
Enjoy the sale.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Sarita ~ I have dyed rovings, batts, handspun, and this spring hopefully raw fleece. I saw LOTS of raw fleece sell at Kelleyville, OK. One of my best sellers has been rovings I make from my own flock. Customers love to get a picture of the sheep and its name. I am figuring out that different shows cater to different crowds. Kelleyville was lots of people that wanted a fleece to process themselves, or natural roving to spin. Lots of sheep farmers came that wanted to try different fleeces. I barely sold anything dyed there. The show I am doing in a couple of weeks draws a wealthier crowd (it is a weekend retreat at a state park resort) and they seem to buy the fancier stuff - glitzy batts and unusual fibers. Tulsa drew a beginning spinning crowd, because the yarn shop that was sponsoring the show had just started classes, so I sold mostly rovings.

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Nov 10 2010 06:50:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
When we were at Bethel this past year there were a lot of people with raw fleeces and pre-dyed rovings. I don't remember seeing a LOT of un-dyed rovings. There was also a lot of already-spun yarn. There were quite a few booths where people were selling alpaca, two with Icelandic, and the rest were a variety of types. I saw some felted stuff, and some goats and sheeps milk soaps and beauty products.
I think you would find a good market there for natural rovings.
It also seemed a lot of people were selling spinning wheels and "tools" for wool working.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  04:21:53 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are just a wealth of information. I enjoy catching up here.
Grace I love the yarn, so very pretty. They are predicting snow showers here on Saturday. We sure have enjoyed the last few days of mild weather though. Hate to see it go.
Been busy getting ready for winter. Fianlly got posts in to divide my barn yard. I have had gates up for a couple years, tied with twine to steel posts. We have a few brackets to get up yet, and that project will be done. A coulpe posts took about an hour to dig, as we forever fight rocks.
I hope to try my hand at making roving with a diz. That sure sounds like it would work great.
Stay Healthy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  07:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Grace, the yarn is beautiful as always. You get the nicest colorways. I saw on the news this morning snow coming your way. I hope you don't get too much. We dodged the bullet as the storm we were supposed to get swung to the south. The temps have dropped though and it's been pretty chilly - twenties at night.

Got the stock tank heater all in down at the barn, went down to feed, only to find they had unplugged it....! Must be the new ones as the others never touched it before. So I had to tie it all up to the fence and drag a cattle panel over and tie that to the fence so they can't get to it all in the dark. Gotta love farming. Hopefully now they will leave it alone. After I was finished, the whole herd went over to it one by one just to check out what I had been doing.

It's so nice having my friend here. It's been a constant "yak fest" - nothing like "girl time" to warm the spirit. She has been knitting a hat to felt and I have been plying lace weight. Watched the movie, Penelope followed by Charlotts Web - it was a piggy sort of afternoon yesterday.

I hope Gary is feeling better and on the mend, Monica. This house thing sure has been just one thing after another for you. I think I would be having "words" with the boss by now if it were me!!! I pray that it all works out for you.

Sarita - I am glad to hear that all is well with Angie. Sounds like you have had your plate full and then some. I know what you mean - the sheep are oblivious to the cold - it's me that dreads it.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  10:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies! I know I need to catch up on the last few posts, but if I may ask for you all to keep Gary in your prayers! He has been doing absolutely great up until yesterday when he sneezed! He is really afraid that he might have undone something!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Monica I will definately keep him in my prayers. I hope that all is well.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  02:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Will do, Monica...let's pray it was just sore and no tears.
How is everything else going? Have you been able to find a calm moment for yourself?
You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Monica you know that Gary and your whole family never leaves my prayers. I so know what Gary is going thru - there is nothing worse then sneezeing when you have stomach stitches...

Hope you will have a peacefull weekend and don't forget to rest.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the prayers! Gary has been a good patient so far, but he is starting to get antsy about not being able to do anything right now! I had to laugh because the other day Hannah told me that daddy had picked up the milk jug!! It wasn't full but I thought it was cute that she was keeping an eye on him!

Brenda, Everything else is going good! I talked to Steve the other day and he said he is waiting on the electrician to get up here and finish the electrical! Hopefully he will get up here soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  1:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I hope they get it all done for you SOON! My dad used to say, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." You are gonna be one strong woman when all this is said and done.
Grace, I read your blog...is your billie still in time out? I was wondering how your chicks are doing? Do you keep them under heat lamps in the winter, especially as they are so young? I was also wondering if you could recomend to me the best way to separate and card my Icelandic wool. The lady who has been teaching me has never worked with Icelandic...and I am reading that it is carded differently than other sheep wool. I just need to know what tools I should buy, actually. I don't think the carders we've been using (really dog brushes) on hewr merino wool are the right thing for Icelandic, but I am not sure.
It is a yucky, rainy day here. The perfect day to stay inside and make a big pot of chicken stock. I also made up some homemade "dumplings" so we will have chicken and dumplings for supper. My dumplings are Eastern Shore style...like big fat noodles.
I hope everyone is staying warm and dry. I hear it is in the 80's in Arkansas. And some are getting snow in other places. We have had some frost but no snow yet. I think I would prefer snow to this wet stuff.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  09:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I think I am going to write a book about my adventures, but I think it will have to sell as fiction because nobody will believe it's true! It is now 1 1/2 months since they finished the inside of the house and almost 3 weeks since the carpet was put in and we are still no closer to moving in than before! We are still waiting for Steve to have the electrician put in the other breaker and for the other a/c to be put in and have no idea what so ever when that will be done! The frustrating part is that everything could be finished up in a few hours! On the bright side it is becoming so ridiculous that it's just comical anymore!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - sorry for the slow pace but just trying to get things done as I am sure you all are too!

Monica I really do not know what to say but SORRY for all this mess. I can not help but think there is some Reason for this but I sure hope it shows itself soon. Just know we are all with you even when we can not help.

Brenda as for the Icelandic - if I was separating the Thel and Tog I would do that first just with my hands. Grasp the long fibers and pull - lay aside and I would card those into a blend with my Llama - great fast spinning and strong as the day is long.. As for the shorter fibers then you can use just about anything, hand cards (if they are shorter the 3 inches, combs if longer then 3 inches and a carder as long as there is no breakage. Hope that helps but if you need more I will gladly assist.

Yes, Peter is still in the dog house and he is now by himself except for a Great Pry with him (another teaching aid) and I will be writing more on the blog about the retraining... With this behavior he has put himself out of the breeding rotation - he is my clean up billy but not this year - Stupid Billy!

The heat lamps are on in the coop and the roosters stand before them and crow - Stupid Roosters! They do make me giggle because you will hear them in the dead of night crowing to their heat lamp gods - my dogs however do not think this is a giggling matter. All that noise brought the fox outside the coop, you could see it's footprints clearly in the snow this morning. Kasha was one grumpy gal this morning - had to work twice as hard because of the crowing..

Have a great day ladies and hope to hear what has been going on in your neck of the woods.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Monica,
You are so funny...It's good you are at least keeping a sense of humor about everything. Sometimes that's the only thing that keeps you sane!
Thank you for the info, Grace. I have been looking at some double row combs that someone told me they use. I will try to separate it by hand first and see how that goes. I don't have any llama to blend with the tog...so it will have to be un-blended! When you say you card it, do you mean on a drum carder?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page