grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  5:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lori I am so sorry for the tumble - I know that tomorrow you will be felling it a bit more so soak tonight and a nice glass of something and off to bed... A big Congrat's for the baby - 14 more to go will fly by - who am I kidding???

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  01:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Two am bottle feedings where interesting. Wind so bad it ripped a bottle right out of my hands as I walked to the barn... I think I might end up in Kansas again. Tomorrow I will have to hunt for the lock on the chicken coop but for now I half a**ed wired it to get them thru the rest of the dark. I am really getting tired of Mother Nature.

Well, now wide awake and I guess I will start up the carding machine and make a cup of tea. Got Llama, Silk, and Merino working today.

What do you do at 2 in the morning???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Glad to hear that Doris is doing well!

Grace, I am praying that the winds calm down for you! If you go airborn, I hope you head this way! It would be great to visit! hehe!!

I am washing laundry and working on some wool combs, batts and washing fiber! I finally got my first fleece that I am not very happy with! Live and learn I guess! It's Romney/ Suffolk and the locks are very long. It washes up pretty nice and the locks are super soft, but it really pretty dirty and has a lot of VM in it! I got it for less than they normally sell them, but for the price I am not happy with it! Oh well! Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - hope everyone is safe from what Mother Nature has been throwing at all of us... I have been praying that all will be safe and no harm will come.

Monica great to see you .com shop on the tag line.. Sounds like you will be busy with fiber and VM. As luck always has it the moment I had plucked one girl and shorn one boy we had snow that night. I got dirty looks from the pair of them and I sure don't blame them.

Everybody getting ready for Easter? What plans do you all have?? I have plans to go to Nick's house - he is cooking and so that will be a treat - that is as long as all goes well here at the farm. Reese has been sick and so we will have to see how the week goes.

Stay safe today we are to get a mixed bag here - it is bitter cold and gray here but no rain or snow yet.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have finally had some sales on my webite!!! YIPPEE I sold two sets of combs and a diz set and I have two customs sets I am selling with a diz, threader and orifice hook and one set that is just the threader and hook! I am so excited to finally be getting people to my site! Hope all is well at the farm! I am hoping the fleece will come clean! Parts of it don't seem so bad! Hope you have a good night!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Apr 20 2011 10:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  06:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello, ldies!

It's been a busy couple of days around here. I assume everyone has been a bit busy as things have been pretty quiet on this thread! I, like Grace, hope everyone is surviving these crazy storms without ill-effect. We have had some thunderstorms and lots of wind, but so far we seem to be always just on the edge of the front and have not had the worst of it that others are getting. My son and his wife live in Arkansas, but their area has not had the devastation that other areas have had. I pray it stays that way.

Okay, yesterday our Cocoa had a set of twins. We thought it was just a single because she was laying on top of the twin and we couldn't see it. I went to get her some molasses water with electrolytes and when I came back, there was a little lamb nose sticking out from under her rump. She got up to have some water and I saw that he was moving ever so slightly, so I nudged him and rubbed him a bit. I lifted him up a bit, but he dropped in a heap on the ground, which brought momma running. She started licking and cleaning him just like t=she had sdone the first one. It took him a loooong time to find his legs, and boy did he struggle, but he finally made it up and we left him and momma to work it out. This morning he was following right along with his big brother.

We also had Shula give birth to twins over night. When we went to the barn this morning, she had a white ram lamb by her side, but over in the corner was a dead black ram lamb. We were very excited about the white ram lamb, but sad about his brother. We were so hoping for a white ram out of her (she was bred to a white ram), so I would have been more heart-broken if he had been the one that died. As it is, we have 4 black ram lambs already this year and we will have to decide what to do with them as we will not be able to keep them unless we make them into fiber wethers. SO, I am sad about the loss of the little guy's life, but relieved at the same time. I think we have to find the silver lining, even in tragedy. It sure does help to cope with the losses.
We still have three more ewes to lamb. So far we have 7 living out of four ewes.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, Congrat's of the birth and sorrow for the loss. Pure Black is very rare and from a fiber standpoint that is great loss..

WOW Congrat's Monica - I am so glad that traffic is making it's way to your com - how about if we talk about getting something on my blog - I get about over 100 reads a day so I would love to help if there is something you think might assist.

Snowed and bitter cold her last night and still this morning - I want to get some goats shorn but it just is not working out. Mother Nature is really being crappy.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. It has been a real mixed bag of weather around here as well. Right now it is snowing - again. I have about had it with this winter weather pattern. My poor sheep, all naked and not happy with me about it are camping out in the barn more than usual when there is green grass to be had. It's supposed to be really windy again this afternoon as well. All I can say is brrrr!!!

I have been trying to get some spring cleaning done as my allergies have been kicking up a storm but it's so dark it's like February and hard to feel spring-like motivation. The weather guessers say it will be close to 60 on Sat. but I don't want to get my hopes up. This is one of the latest on record for us not to have reached the 60 degree mark.

I am not doing the Easter thing here this year. I will go to dinner with my DIL's family this year. Usually we do a big gathering here but this year everyone is opting for low key. It seems like everyone has been just running their tails off with this and that and so a peaceful quiet day at home has appealed to just about everyone. Have to admit that I am glad to not have to child proof the house just now as I have been working another veneer picture and my dining room table is stacked two feet high with sheets of veneer just now. If it wasn't for my allergies talking so loud I would have put off the cleaning a bit longer and kept immersed in my art.

The plants I started are putting along slowly as the night time temps have been in the low 20's which makes for less heat in the grow room despite the halide light which puts out lot of heat. Would love to get the plastic stretched on the hoop greenhouse but it's been too cold to do it. The plastic has to warm up to stretch tight.

Congrats Monica that your web site is getting some traffic and sales. I loved your rose painted diz - very pretty. Also congrats to you too, Brenda. Sounds like everyone has been so busy. I am posting a pic of my dragonfly box here as so many never visit any of the other threads and Sarita wanted to see it when it was done.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Sheri, that is gorgeous! I had no idea that was what you meant when you were talking about making your box. I am so impressed.

Thanks for the congrats, Grace and Sheri. Grace, you are right, it is a great loss. But I am trying to console myslef about the whole thing. Our ram is black and he has only ever thrown black lambs, so we were wanting a ram lamb of a different color from one of our ewes bred outside our farm to different rams for our next breeding group. This one's momma is black gray, but was bred to a white ram...so we got exactly what we were hoping for from that pairing. Although, it would have been a nice bonus if the other lamb had lived, black or not.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  2:00:00 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOSH Sheri!!! That is just beyond words... I know what you mean about the baby proofing and such - just about at every turn there is something that Reese should not get into or could fall down into and such. I have huge plants and we spent the whole time stopping him before he pulled a leaf off or put his hands on the crown of thorns - they are all to big to just move so it was a continual battle... I would love to just put my feet up and go to bed...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, Congrats on the new babies! So sorry about the one you lost! Very glad to hear that your son and his wife are safe! This weather has been very strange this spring! It has not been too bad here, but it's still quite cool in the mornings!

Grace, It is so nice to finally get some traffic and sales to my site! There is a new Fiber Group on facebook and that is where I told one lady about the combs and she bought a set and then posted about it and another lady bought a set! After all of the samples I have sent out with no luck and even paid to advertise on facebook, it's great to get some word of mouth business! I would love it if you would talk about my shop!!

Sheri, The box is GORGEOUS!!!!! It is so beautiful and I love dragonflys! You did a great job on it! We are not doing much here for Easter either! I know I am probably no fun, but I am not even doing Easter baskets for the kids! I just don't see any point in loading them up on a bunch of candy!!! I hope the plants and the sheep stay warm! Thank you for the compliment on the rose diz! I like the way that one came out!

Hope everyone has a great day! I am offto get the kids up and get going on school and washing fiber!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sheri! Your box is AMAZING!! You have an awesome talent!

Brenda - so sorry for the loss of the lamb. I hold my breath everytime I check ewes, hoping against hope, I don't find a dead lamb.

Ladies, I am about tired of wind. I am afraid my trees are going to grow diagonal when it finally stops blowing. I have wondered how my tiny Shetland lambs don't get blown away!

Speaking of lambs, we had a purebred, not registered, Shetland born the other day that is spotted like a Holstien! She is spotted all over, in fact I don't know if she is black with white spots or the other way around! Her twin brother is black, and both parents are gray. I have a feeling she will live out her life right here on the farm, I am curious to see what her coat looks like when she is grown!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Apr 22 2011 09:43:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone
Lori been windy here too. Cold today. we get tesased with a warm day and bam back to cold.
Your little lamb sounds so cute.
Monica your diz's and everything are so very pretty. Great job. HOpe you sell lots.
Brenda, sounds like you are keeping busy with babies. Hope you don't have any more losses.
Sheri, your do very beautiful work. The box is just wonderful.
Grace, hope you get to take a few minutes (hours) for yourself soon.
Spent yesterday doing yard work. Finished raking rocks off the grass, and started on getting the pig pen ready. Got to dig around the entire pen, under the electric, so it doesn't short. Piggies will be coming the first of May. Once this weather straightens out will be shearing. Had my last beef baby this morning. A nice big boy.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi I am so tired of mud and more mud. Our driveway/road is still mud and of course now raining and not very warm. I am tired of walking 1/2 mile to my car to go to work. I am tired of pulling our vehicles out of the mud on our road. Today I am finding no humor anymore after 2 weeks and with this rain....and more this week.... Only good thing is temps are finally supposed to get up into 50-60's which would help things dry up and thaw up!!!
Sorry needed to vent.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  4:48:27 PM  Show Profile
I know just how you feel, Rae. It has been raining here off and on for the past few days, and my husband just gave me the good news that we will have more of the same at least through monday. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. I was slipping and sliding around behind the barn, trying to do lamb checks and get fresh water for the sheep. Our truck is not stuck in the mud, so far, because we haven't been off the farm since Sunday!
I am sick of muddy, wet floors from muddy wet dogs! I clean the floors every day, but it is really pointless...but I can't stand to not clean them. I know the rain is necessary, but it makes farm life pretty miserable when there is so much of it.
Vent away, girl!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Rae you have my sympathies and Brenda as well - I really hate mud season. Woke up to two inches of snow yesterday. Today it's sunny and supposed to be 59. Wow, a heatwave!! I am super excited about seeing the sun as it's been so dark here. Made a run to town for feed yesterday so should be good for awhile. The best part is my step-son is here and will move it for me which is indeed a bonus.

Thank you all for the compliments on my box. Right now I am working on another picture (18x24) but got derailed for a few days due to allergy patrol and shearing etc. but hope to be back at it next week. I love doing it and can lose time completely while I am working. It's like being in another plane of existence. I get the same feeling of being transported when I spin too. Does anyone else feel like this when they are emersed in a project? It's the same feeling that I get in meditation.

I hope everyone's babies are doing well. Have you managed to get any sleep yet, Grace? Any more babies, Brenda and Lori? Has anyone heard from Sarita? I hope she is well. Have a great day and a Happy Easter celebration everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  10:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheri Wishing you a Happy Easter too! I got a whole 6 hours of sleep last night - be it on the couch but I will gladly take it. I know what you mean I am getting snow flurries now and it is so cold... I too can lose myself in a project and forget everything that is why when I am working a set timers to snap me back into the schedule of what needs to be done...

Rae and Brenda what I would not give for that rain - we might get a tad on Easter but we are so far behind that unless it opens up of days on end we will be in danger for the rest of the summer - so get together and send it our way Please!!!

Bringing blue and green eggs (my hens do naturally) to Nick's house for Easter and some to share with the neighbors. They don't believe that chickens can do that - silly city folks... Oh Well, hoping maybe I might get some customers out of it too.. Been cooking up a storm while I slept and still going this morning. Still waiting for the dye pots to cool so I can handle the fibers and get them on the drying racks - Finished some incredible Alpaca fiber the last couple of days and hope to post some in my shops early next week. How many of you like to spin with Angelica??? I might card some in a couple of the batches but wonder if folks really want it - seems like everyone stick some in their batts and wondering if it is worth it??

Have a great day ladies and keep those muck boots on.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  6:58:45 PM  Show Profile
A very Blessed Easter to you all tomorrow

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  11:08:40 AM  Show Profile
I am quite tired of mud, too. It has rained here everyday for the last 4 days, and is scheduled to for several more. I wish I could bottle and send some of the rain to those folks in Texas and to you, Grace!

Here is a picture of the little spotted girl and her brother:

I am just amazed by the beauty God creates!

I finished my "Shipwreck" shawl last night. It was a pattern in Knitty a couple of years ago. I am so pleased with it. It is huge, and it hangs so pretty! I wore it to Easter service this morning with my new to me black dress. I haven't had a new dress in years, and when I spotted this one at the resale store, and it fit like a dream, I splurged and bought it!

Happy Easter everyone!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  12:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everyone! Happy Easter to all. Sorry it has been so long since I've posted. I've been so busy, as you can imagine.

Congratulations on all of the lamb and kid births! I really miss seeing the babies popping around the pasture. I told Mom to please take lots of pics for me, but I know that the photos won't do it any justice. The births are great, but I don't miss the losses. With that being said I send condolences to those who have lost some of their babes.

Sheri! I love the box. I love working with veneer and actually tried to redo the top of a coffee table years ago, but was completely unsuccessful in getting the edges to match up. How did you learn your craft? Even though I didn't master it, I completely understand how you could get lost in it. I worked for days on my project sometimes overnight even, nothing else entering my thoughts. What peace I found in working with the beautiful delicate wood.

Even though I've been reading all of the posts, I am having a hard time recollecting and organizing my thoughts now a days. I can say I've missed you ladies over the past few months. This post is going to get a little long because of it, sorry.

I think Mom told you that my sheep, Daisy, had 2 rams on the date I was first induced. We are thinking of banding them and making them into my first wethers. The only problem is that Daisy is notorious for having lambs that want nothing to do with people no matter how hard you try and so far these guys are no different than her past offspring. I'm wanting them for pets and fiber.

Speaking of Mom, she hasn't been feeling well again. If only I could get her to slow down. Yeah right, don't see that happening soon.

Evan is doing great. He had already gained back the weight he lost after birth at his 2 week appt and he grew 1 1/2 inches. He's a really good baby so far. He only fusses when he's having a bm or is hungry. I hear him stirring right now so I better let ya go. Take care ladies!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  7:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Happy and Blessed Easter to everyone! I am sorry that I have not been posting, I am trying to read and keep up with everyone but I have not been posting. We now have 42 lambs. We too have mud everywhere and they are saying we have chances for rain about everyday this week. I know I will be begging for rain later in the summer but it is so wet and cold lately. I have lettuce, radish, potatoes, beets and peas up. We have strawberries, apple trees, peach trees blooming right now.
Sheri, your box is beautiful. Angie called me and told me to get on MJ's to look at your goreous box.
Lori, your babies are so cute. It is hard to tell what color they will be next year. A Shetland changes colors from year to year. We had one little ewe born as black as could be and she is 3 years old now and every year she gets lighter and lighter. She is a light brown with the very light brown around the mouth and eyes.

I am wanting to play so much but it seems like there is not enough hours in the day right now. Lambing always takes so much of my time. Angie helped me so much when she was here and now that Danny is retired, he helps. I think we have 14 more ewes to go.

Monica, so glad that the web site has traffic. I have thought about one. I am also thinking about doing a few shows ater we get a camper...probably in Michigan so i can see Evan more. And Nebraska so I can see Brandon and Lexi too. Last time gas went up, the turn out at the shows decreased and some stopped having their events.
Lori, I would love to see a picture of your new shawl. I made the heavy weight triangle shawl from Fiber Trends a few years ago and then knitted and felted a hat to match. I also have a triangle loom that makes a nice size shawl. I like to wrap my shawl around my shoulders when we are sitting outside and the weather is still cool. I also have worn it to church several times.

Take care everyone.

Time to feed Barney, our bottle lamb. He is a cutie.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  8:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Good to see you, Sarita. And Angie, too!
Jessica had her baby today! Well, actually she had it tomorrow since they are 7 hours ahead in Germany! He was born 2 minutes after midnight! He missed being an Easter baby by two minutes! The midwife even checked the time by the atomic clock to be sure! She didn't have him in the birthing pool, she had him in the bathroom, but by all accounts, it was amazing! No name yet and she didn't know the weight when she called.
Hoping for more lambs this week. How do you all manage so many? Maybe after I've done this for a few more years, I'll be able to handle more, too...but right now I am overwhelmed by seven ewes! I'm just thankful they didn't all lamb at the same time...they're going easy on me I guess!
Grace, you can have as much of this rain as you want! I feel so sorry for the animals having to muck around in it between barn and pasture. It seems there's always too much or too little!
Well, ladies, hope your Easter was blessed and your week is "eggs"eptional! :-)

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:00:55 AM  Show Profile
wow! Congratulations to your family Brenda! So happy for you all.

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Brenda, so glad that all went well and mom and baby are doing well.
We now have 44 lambs, I had to assist a mother at 3 AM this morning. The lamb was huge!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  10:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Brenda! I bet you and Sarita both are just itching to hold new grandbabies!

We have 17 lambs now. I am supplementing the set of twins twice a day, and may have to step it up to three as they get bigger. One sucks the bottle down lickety split, the other we have to work with each time. Their mama is doing better, she is gaining weight and we no longer think she has gone blind, but that is all relative. She still looks awful. We may yet put her down - we are at the point of " is it more cruel to give up and put her down or to let her live?"

Still raining here, too. My pasture is a swamp with lakes in it.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page