grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  5:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I too have a large poster in my shop of the Icelandic Color Patterns... I also have one in my fiber processing room and there is a great book now out of print on the color patterns - I never can keep them straight. They changed the color names and numbers for Alpacas too and that sure was a huge change for my brain...

Sure is a cute one no matter what the pattern is.
I have two sets of twins who have me stumped - They are Cashgora's and I keep trying to get a good picture of them because you will not believe their fiber patterns.. One really looks like she has a bullseye on her body... Then another has gray, taupe, carmel and chocolate brown all on the same hair shaft - even my sons could not believe that boys coloring and we thought after all the hundreds of animals we have had born here we would have seen it all... This is one of the great parts of what we do...

I will keep trying to get a picture or two if they only would hold still - this is one of those times I really could use another set of hands.

By the way - had lightening bolts strike the pasture next to me while having a snow blizzard going on - Pulled the plugs on all the electrical just in case.. Tomorrow they say I might get up to 70 but tonight I will be only at 21 - keeps me on my toes... Hope everyone is doing well and that birthing season is coming to a close. Stay safe in this weird weather.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  10:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Lori, The baby is so very cute!

Grace, I hope all is well at the farm! Hope the weather is settling down!

It has been a very hectic weekend here! WE had the motorcycle rally here and i was hoping to sell water and sew patches and it didn't work out, but Gary did sell water with the kids and it went really god Friday, but then Saturday and Sunday was pretty cold here so not many sales! I have been working hard on getting more organized and getting more stuff listed! I have even had quite a few sales lately so that is nice! I have been bugging Gary for a bench picker for my birthday so that I can get more stuff done, but I don't think he is going to give in, but you never know because he has a way of surprising me! We are hopefully moving in three months! I am not sure where to, but I will be so happy to be out from under here! I hope everyone is doing well!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Great to hear from you Monica and again, thank you for including me in your treasury. Well, snow blizzards and lightening to below freezing and now they say we might climb to 80 by Saturday. Fire dangers back up and the mountains are very concerned that a fast melt on the huge snow they got will be start flooding big time and then there will be no water when needed. I know everyone is so tired of all this weather worries. I know I am very concerned because everthing is so dry and we have fires breaking out all the time around us - I will be cutting limbs in the forest and dragging hoses to try and keep things under control. It has been suggested to bring in more hoses because the reserves of water for our little fire department is running low so it might be up to our ability to run hoses from our well... This is weighting so heavy on us and I admit I feel ground into the dry dirt. I then remind myself others are having weather issues too and so it is not just me. The insurance companies are raising their rates again just when we might need them - there should be a special place in Hell for them..

I have been at the carder as much as I can - made some great batts Tuesday afternoon - some of my alpaca, merino, silk and some glitz - then spent an hour trying to get a couple of good pictures - still not a good one in the bunch. I figured I could have made three more batts in the time it took messing around with pictures...

Wondering what you all have been working on Fiber wise?? I finally got to wash a fleece from one of my offspring who is a CVM/Icelandic cross and I so enjoyed the final results I have to keep half the fleece for myself. The benefits of this cross was first a great rich natural black/charcole color, crimp like no one's business and a soft handle that just blows my mind... As I was washing the batches I was thrilled that no VM to deal with because the fleece is to tight together that nothing got in... Amazing!!! Can not wait to post it on the Etsy shop.

What is your favorite fleece in house today??? This week I might be shearing a old mink collar to use in some OH I DON'T Know but I just think I have too......

Have a great day ladies. - Fiber Fun For All

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  07:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Been so busy around here lately. Weather has still been so weird - wet, wind - cold 28 again this morning. I have to keep reminding myself that it is May for heavens sake. Even my baby plants are just putting along due to the colder temps. My lilac bushes are just beginning to think about putting on leaves - normally we have flowers or are close to it by now. Brrr...still have my heat on which is normally shut down by now with just a little suplement by the pellet stove. Enough weather whining.

I've been working on a hospital gown out of a blue tye-dye fabric for DIL's delivery which is any time now. She has been going in for lot's of tests as her blood pressure is up somewhat and they are concerned with pre-eclampsia. Prayers for a healthy delivery would be appreciated. Kim is very uncomfortable but baby had dropped a lot in the last week. I would love it if he came on Sat. as it would be my husbands (deceased) birthday and that would be the frosting on the cake but God knows best in these situations.

I would like to start picking wool but it's too cold to work outside. It is supposed to be up to 60 today but back to rain tomorrow. I sure wish I could send some of this rain your way, Grace. Congrats on your sales, Monica. Nothing else going on around here but the usual spring work. I transplanted 90 tomato plants in the last few days. Today it's lettuce and spinach. It's even too cold to set them outside. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  08:29:16 AM  Show Profile
That was weird - my posting dissapeared. Here it goes again.

Sheri I will place Kim and her little one in my prayer circle and will hope for a Saturday delivery but above all a safe one. I sure will take your rain if you send it. I have a Thornless Blackberry Bush I wish to planet but we still get below freezing at night so I wait.

You have been in my thoughts and great to hear from you - we are all overworked and just trying to get things done - take care and hugs.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  6:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
Getting tired of fighting mud. It would be nice if we could send excess moisture to those that need it. Over a quarter of an inch today, so not too much. Hoping spring comes soon.
Rae are you going to Shepherds Harvest? I will be there on Saturday. Can't wait. Hope it don't rain.
Grace I hope you get some moisture. Sounds like you are sure busy.
Sheri you sure have a lot of tomato plants! Good luck with them.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies, I am at the end of lambing, 1 more ewe to go and her tail is twitching and she is up and down. Danny and I had to help assist in a young ewe's delivery this afternoon and then one of the Shetlands had a set of twin ewes. I will maybe set the alarm for tonight at 2 and 3 again...hope this is the last night. We have a total of 54 lambs right now.
Sheri, I will be praying for a safe and healthy baby and mom...I also hope the delivery comes Saturday.
I am feeling so sorry for all of you and the mud. Lori, did any of the storms damage your area? What a nightmare! Last year we had a very cold and wet Spring and Summer and my garden was nothing...hope I can get beans and corn in and we have a good crop. My canning is way low.
I would love to card and spin this weekend but I think we will be building fence to divide up the sheep pasture. I also need another shed.
Brenda, are you done lambing? How about you Lori?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every great experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  03:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
What a week! I had to get a new shearer. My sheep were starting to roo already. He came Monday (the one day I told him was the worst day for him to come), my son called from Arkansas to say they had to evac their house because of the flooding and wondered if they could stay over at our house that is for sale. Of course, we said yes, but then I was worried about them...no beds, no furniture...agh! We moms always worry, don't we? The shearer was very gentle with my sheep, and he did a great job, but his stuff didn't seem clean to me. I know I over-worry about things even more than I should, but it stressed me out! Then I had company come in that evening from Memphis.
Then Wednesday we had to pull a backwards lamb. It didn't make it. It was a lovely little moflan ram lamb. He was big and his momma was a little first-timer. Of course I spent the afternoon grieving. It was even worse than finding a dead lamb. I guess when you find a dead one, you are sad, but you know there was nothing you could have done. But, when you are in there working, trying to save one and it dies, it rips your heart out. And when people around you don't love your animals like you do so don't seem to understand quite why you are so upset...well, it is hard.
Then, Thursday, another first time momma (a two-yr old) dropped twins. The first one was out and she was licking it fine, but wouldn't let it nurse. Whenever it tried, she trampled it. We could see another lamb sticking out, first feet, then a nose...and then nothing happened. I waited for about thirty minutes to see if she was gonna push it out herself, but then finally had to step in. I broke the membrane and stuck my finger in it's mouth (as per the instructions in Laura Lawson's book), nothing. I pinched it's nose, then stuck my finger in again. All of a sudden he came alive and popped right out! That was amazing! But, it soon became evident she was not going to let them nurse. I tried to wait and let them work it out, but finally I got in and milked some colostrum from the ewe and bottle fed it to the lambs (one ram and one ewe...gorgeous. I tied the momma and tried to get the lambs to nurse, but nothing doing. So, after getting the colostrum into them, I decided to let them have some bonding time alone. I tumbled into bed, got a couple hours of sleep, then went out to the barn. The ram had a full belly, but sister did not. So, I fixed her a bottle. I checked her teeth and sure enough...sharps. I filed them a bit, tried to get her to latch on to momma..but no go. So I fixed her a bottle. She guzzled it hungrily. I watched all day and gave her more supplement as needed, but kept trying to get her to latch. Finally by the afternoon it did seem momma was letting her nurse at least a little. She was active and her tummy was not full-full like the rams, but I could tell she was eating. And I saw her under momma bumping the udder. Of course, with all of my multiples one usually is a bit less full than the other/others, so I decided to just keep a close eye out and try to let momma do her job. Before I went to bed, I checked again and her tummy seemed empty again, so I fixed her a bottle to top her off. I think it was as much for my sake as hers, so that I could get to sleep knowing she was not starving! I checked her teeth again, too and felt she still had a sharp edge, so did some more filing. I have been praying all night that it helps.

Sarita, I have one more ewe to go, too. She is a seasoned professional, so I am praying for an uneventful delivery! This has been a very eventful first year. I think we have been given a vast array of experience and I told Greg, next year we will feel like it is all "old hat" for us! It has been exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I will be so relieved when we are done for this season...and on to worrying about the parasites! Yay!

Sheri, I hope all is well with your DIL and the birth of her young one.
Grace, hope you are getting some moisture.
Lori, hope you are done getting moisture.

Have a great weekend, all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  10:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day today!

Brenda, I will keep your son in my prayers!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  06:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Good Monday Morning Everyone - hope the weekend was a peacefull one and that you all had a Happy Mothers Day

We hit the 80's and expecting more today - fires broke out again and we have red flags everywhere.. I have been running the hoses almost none stop but with these winds it just does not help. Pray for rain if you would...

Wondering what exciting plans you all have for this week. I found myself feeling like I am chacing my tail and getting nothing really done. How about you???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  07:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day. Sheri are you grandma yet? Brenda, have you heard from your son? Sorry about your losses with the lambs.
We are heating up too. I planted green beans and corn and transplanted tomatoes, peppers into the garden this week end. I am still waiting on one ewe to lamb, she looks like she is going to bust. When she delivers...we are done. I still need to give another round of CDT to all the lambs.
This week-end I got up upstairs, opened the windows and aired out my studio, ran my fingers through some of the bags of wool, dreamed alittle and then went back to work outside. Someday!

Grace I will pray that you will get rain. We are suppose to have heat indexes up to 98 tomorrow and pretty hot today.
Take care everyone.

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every great experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Sarita last night I slep with the windows open and on top of the covers - this is too early for this time in May. We were one degree shy of the record Sunday - I am trying not to think of this week and just keep my head down.

One to go I know that feels great... good luck on thehshots and garden.

Where did I miss in reading about Brenda's son??? I will have your family in my prayers and will go back and read the posts. I read about your lamb losses and I know they are never easy. Words can not help but knowing that others have been where you are and know that pain does lessen the pain some. We do our best, pray for help and surrender to our healing. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers everyone.
Our son in Arkansas seems to be doing okay right now. At least we had a house for sale where they could go and take refuge. I always say, we may not understand how and why God works in the moment, but just wait awhile and he will show you something! We have been frustrated that our house has not sold yet, but what a blessing it was there for them to move into when they had nowhere else to go.
Our son in Japan is planning to bring his family to the states for a vacation in June. We will have them here for the first two weeks in July. I am very excited. It has been 2 and a half years since we have seen them. It looks like he will have to deploy either to Iraq or Afghanistan in the fall...so please keep that situation in your prayers as well. This momma is not real happy with the thought of him going. No momma ever is, I'm sure.
Good news on my lambs...we were finally able to get the little ewe to suckle. There are pictures of them on my blog. They are just adorable, if I do say so myself! The successes sure make up for the losses.
Sarita, we are getting those higher temps too. Grace, I pray you get the rain you need.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. No baby yet. They decided not to induce and let her go a few more days. She was dialated 2 cm on Friday and lots of Brackston Hicks contractions so I am sure it will be any time now. Had a crazy busy weekend with houseguests and rainy weather but it's sunny for right now. Supposed to rain later today. Tomorrow and Wed. are supposed to be 70 so I hauled out the racks that I pick wool on and will start skirting and picking fleeces if the wind cooperates. Of course that is when Kim will go into labor because I will be dirty and smell like sheep!! It's almost 40 miles to the hospital from here. They are a little closer but still a good 30 miles. She has another ultrasound tomorrow if she doesn't go today. I sure am looking forward to playing in the wool again.

Glad to hear everyone came through the storms ok and that lambing is nearly finished. I will have to take a look at everyone's blogs when I get a chance. I am praying for rain for you Grace. I sure would send you some if I could. Glad that your son is ok, Brenda. I will catch up with everyone later. I have a ton of stuff to catch up on.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile
We are not done lambing, and probably won't be for a while. Nearly all of ours are first time mamas, and some apparently didn't "stick" the first time or maybe two that they were bred. Also, our rams are all young, so they may not have been as potent as an older ram. We have several that are just now developing udders, and some that may not be bred at all...time will tell!

We were vendors at a regular craft show this last weekend. The lady invited us and provided a booth space and the tent for our booth, so we thought it would be a good way to just try it, even though we knew it probably would not be profitable. It wasn't. But I got some really nice quality time with Stanley, and some awesome exposure. The local news came and filmed me twice, and I was quoted in the paper the day the show started, and they came back and took another picture of me spinning and put it in the Sunday paper. I gave out lots of business cards to folks that had relatives and friends that play with fiber, so hopefully the impact will be far reaching!

It is hot, hot here. 90 degrees yesterday and today with high humidity because of all the rain soaked ground. We did not get any bad weather, just lots more rain. Brenda, I hope your son does not wind up with any damage from the water. That flooding is just a rotten deal all the way around.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Lori that is how we all started with handing out cards, getting folks to know us and then soon you will have a great following and you will be a pro at shows...

Ladies can I please ask for your prayers - I had a horrible, SCARY day and it will be a very long night here at the farm. I posted all the details on my blog but I must admit this was so scary. We are all uninjuried but still shaking. Thanks in advance.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, how scary. I hope the winds have settled down and everyone is OK.
I had to help the last ewe have a giant lamb last night....whoppeeeeeee I am done! We have had a very good lambing season. We have 55 lambs and did not lose any this year, this only happens by the grace of God and barn visits every 2-4 hrs. We had to assist with quite a few deliveries but it is done...to sleep a full night will be great.
Last night, China was pawing and up and down at sun set so I pulled up my bucket and stayed close by until 11:45 and jumped in to help...we thought she was expecting twins. She still looks like she has another one in her this morning but she passed her after birth about 1 am. She is letting her baby suck but not as attentive as I would like her to be so she stayed in the jug this morning for more mommy and baby bonding time. (I had to help raise her kid last year and I am determined that she will be a better mother this year).
I better get back to work...break time is over.

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!! Been awhile, have been under the weather and finally feel like I will be back among the living.

Michele I did not make it to the festival, how was it? Spent most of weekend laying around.

Waiting for it to dry up and warm up so you can send your heat to us! Can finally drive up to the house which is wonderful! The county road stinks but passable, barely. Rain went around us yesterday and so far today so hoping it will continue to do that as a good week of warm and dry will do wonders for my traveling.

Hope all are doing well.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon all,
Been wet here. Got a half an inch today, and more on the way. I have managed to get some of the flower bed, and strawberry beds cleaned out. No field work yet.
The shepherds harvest was fun. Wow what a variety of just about everything. 4 buildings of vendors. So we browsed. Weather wise it was a beautiful day too. I did bring home some lovely mohair blend yarn, and am making a shrug.
Waiting for a dry day to shear.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. Sure been quiet over here. Still no baby and I am beginning to think the medical community is just plain nuts. They have run this poor girl all over the map as far as pre-eclampsia scares and needed c-section to sending her home after giving her pit overnight night before last. How can you talk c-section at 8 am and then send her home at noon??? Sometimes this whole thing has been like the twilight zone. Please continue to keep Kim and her little Aydon in your prayers for an easy and safe delivery and a healthy baby. Now that we have a 4 planet alignment, perhaps he will come on his own without any further input from the medical community. I think Kim is about to have a nerves breakdown, poor girl. It would have broken your heart to hear her cry when they said they were sending her home after all that (unnessary drama). I tear up just thinking about her crying it was such a soulful sound. I will keep you all posted.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Sheri I will keep Kim and all in the prayer circle. I agree most of the time the medical profession is covering their butts. I would hate to have a baby in a US hospital anymore. Just know there are forty five of us in the prayer circle working around the clock so love, light and prayers are surrounding her.

I know it is hard to not worry so I will not even say it.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone had to bottle feed a newborn ram lamb? My friend who has the Suffolk sheep called and her ewes are lambing. They found this little guy last night and no one seems to be stepping up to claim him. So she wanted to know if I would want him. I have frozen goat milk and my goats are in milk now so I would have plenty of milk for him. But I wanted the Suffolk to eat. I don't know if I could bottle feed a lamb then have it butchered. I know I bottle fed my bull calf but that's different. Anyway, just need some advice. I know it would be just like a goat kid. Or I could keep him and he could be the start to my sheep herd. Oh goodness, I don't know what to do. And what would I do with one lone lamb? Could I put him with the goats? I know the does would be hard on him. But the kids would probably think he was another goat kid. He should not be alone. Or maybe if she has a set of twins I could get another lamb. Then I don't really know if I want to do this. I was wanting like 3 month old lambs to start off with. I know I am rambling right now but could use some help with this little dilema. Thanks.

Grace, I hope you're ok. I am going to your blog to see what happened.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  6:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow Grace. Was that a tornado? I sure am glad you and the animals are ok. It will take awhile to get over being nervous. We had a thunderstorm here today and I was scared. Even 2 1/2 weeks after our round of tornadoes, it is scary to look up at the sky and see rolling clouds. Still so many houses have the different colored roofs with all the tarps waiting to be repaired. The houses that are still standing anyway. Still big huge trees all over and piles and piles of brush everywhere. It will take years to get back to where it was here. But like you said, there is always somewhere worse off. So glad y'all are ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Kris you sure could raise him for meat but also if you place him in with the girls and other kids while he is little he can learn from them social skills. I did over the years have sheep bottle kids in with goats and vice versa - what I was doing was bonding them and teaching them - their behavior are very similar but please watch at all times that no copper is given to the ram...

What we had here at the farm is what is call a Micro Burst and they are similar but different in that they just drop down move a bit and rise back up. Still the damage they can do is unbelieveable. Tomorrow is more clean up if my back will let me bend. Still working on just finding a replacement structure and someone who will dismantle the broken one and haul it away.

I am heading to bed after feeding the bottle kids and putting a heating pad on my back hoping it will be workable by Saturday Morning.
Take care all and Kris let me know what I can do to help you with the ram...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  04:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Grace, that sure did sound scarey. So g;ad there was no loss of life.
Kristin, good luck with your bottle baby. I thought I was going to have one this year, but I finally got her to latch on to momma. WHat a happy day that was.
Sheri, my heart aches for Kim. I stay as far away from hospitals and doctors as I possibly can! If I were having babies now, I wouldn't go near one for that, either. My daughter just had her fifth baby. She had him at home in Germany with a German mid-wife and she is over the moon with the whole experience. She had a house full of friends while she was giving birth, too. I think it must have been much like what birth was like in the "olden days"...with famly and the women in the community hanging around to talk to you, relax you, support you. She said even themid-wife thought it was wonderful the way everyone talked and laughed, fixed food and ate, helped watch the other kids, etc. etc. The only down side? I wasn't able to be there. I told her she can't have any more babies during lambing time! Fortunately, they'll be back in the US next year, before she has any more! That will make it easier to go and help her out.
Oh, Kristin, my brother who lives in Flintstone said a tornado missed his house by only a few hundred yards and then hit the homes below him. They were without power for ages, but no damage or loss, thankfully. The pictures of the devestation are just heart-wrenching.
Still one more stubborn ewe to go. Her bags are filling up now, so I hope it will be soon. The temps have dropped back down and she is much more comfortable. Maybe next year she won't play so hard-to-get with Solomon!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page