RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
Lori I don't think there is anything you can do to break your dog of killing chickens,they do it on impulse and I think with dogs there are just some who kill and some who don't and it's unfortunate that you have one that does that,I think all you could do would be to rehome her to a place without chickens,build a small fortress to keep her in or maybe put her down,I'm not very emotional about dogs,I really don't care for them much so I hope that doesn't sound too harsh,it's just what I would do,I've had alot of unfortunate experiences with neighbor's dogs killing my livestock and I've become a little hardhearted about dogs in general.
I like dogs as livestock guardians and we have a real good one that I halfway personally like but if he weren't useful to me as a livestock guardian or if he killed any of my animals I wouldn't have him around.
You may feel differently though and hope you don't hold it against me,I just don't think there is any way to retrain a dog to not kill livestock and think the solution almost always comes down to a much harder choice to either rehome or put down the animal,perhaps you might find some other solution that allows you to keep the dog and your small stock at the same time.
Grace,I am so glad to hear that your Mick is recovering well,take care and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers and that these hard times will soon pass.
It's been awful cold here,I too am in Colorado and that last week of storms was very difficult for us and the stock,take care,keep warm and look ahead to Spring!
Happy St.Lucia Day Sheri!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile
I am still here, ladies! I moved from a friend;s in Texas to a friend's in California since Thanksgiving. I have been blessed to have several friends invite me to stay with them indefinately. So, for now, I am checking out SoCal! So far, so good! My divorce hearing is next week, so I will be in MO for that. I am buying Greg out of the farm, so I will be keeping my farm for the time being, until I decide what I want to do. So many decisions. I REALLY miss my animals. Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. I will be camping over the holidays...up in the mountains (desert). Bless you all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - boy we have some issues going... What type of LGD?? I know Great Pry's hate all birds that means any type - I have finally trained them to stop barking at everyone (wild) that flies over head or walks on the farm. Now that took some time.. Now over the years my pry's will leave the hens alone and I even caught Sophia letting a few of them sit with her in the horse trailer when the temps got low and they where not find their way back to the coop. I was so surprised my mouth dropped to the floor. It is a natural behavior for them to kill and or eat birds. Sorry - I would keep trying if the dog is great at protection for the other livestock or keep the bird safer - Sorry!!

So sorry to read about the lamb - sometimes it is just meant to be and I know the tears are many when there is no answers...

Great to see another Colorado gal and I agree that cold snap we had sure kept me going and the animals - I wished we would have had some time for the animals to get more of a gradual increase in cold temps but we never really get to vote do we??

Thanks Sheri for the holiday wishes - still not even started - tried today but got stuck handling yarn orders and exchanges... Still also sitting with my back on the heating pad so that limits things...

Have a great day ladies and maybe I am going to put on holiday music to see if that helps.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  5:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I meant to tell you, Lori, that I have heard that, in order to break a dog of chasing chickens, you have to make them lay down in front of the chickens. It teaches them that they are submissive to the chickens, and therefore, they will not attack them. At least that is what I have heard. It's worth a try, anyway. You may have to do it several times, I don't know. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, good to hear that you are OK. I will continue to pray for you.
Grace, hope you are back up and going soon. I hope you gals from Colorado keep that cold weather there. Here in Missouri, it has been above average and just a trace of snow so far, and I can't say that I am unhappy about that.
Lori, my big girls bark and chase after geese getting off the pond or flying over but they also chase coyotes so I am OK with that but I don't have chickens. Does the dog stay with the sheep at all? I spoke to one fellow that has GPs and he said he had got one as a puppy and it kept following him to the house and never would stay with the sheep so he got another GP and it wants to be with the sheep all of the time. I guess each has their own personality much like humans.

Sheri, looks like the weather is getting nasty again for you.
I sorted the flock last night. I am selling 27 ewes to a really nice family. I feel like the girls know that I am letting them go and it breaks my heart but I can't keep up with everything or my health will be in the dumpster. I am keeping my guys and 16 ewes that are especially special pets or great fiber or too old to be changing homes. I couldn't sell my Cinnamon, a little red shetland that stands watch at the gate and baas at me when I come home, when I go to work, or just step out into the yard, she is getting up in years and her reproducing years are limited...sometimes you don't part with good friends no matter what.
I am working on coats for all of my flock. I have did measurements and a couple are already to wear....my flock are not going to be happy with me.
Just 11 more days until Christmas...Tree is up, partly decorated. Presents were purchased online and that makes no wrapping or mailing for me and I got Danny a new laptop for his birthday and Christmas.
Sheri, Happy Lucia!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone, 4 more days till Christmas.
I sold 27 bred ewes to a nice family that wants to get into fiber business.
Hope all is well and I pray that everyone will be blessed this Christmas season.
I put 3 cranberry salad recipes on my blog this morning. A friend gave them to me after I tasted her at the church dinner.
Hope to hear from everyone.

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  04:50:05 AM  Show Profile
I want to wish every one a Merry Christmas also! I hope everyone has good weather.
Sarita, congrats on selling some of your herd. I know it is hard, but I hope you get to enjoy your craft time! Are you doing some pottery work too? Didn't Danny get you a pottery wheel, or maybe it was a kiln. That is something that has interested me too. Those recipes sound yummy. They remind me of the cranberry relish I make. I would have to look up the right amounts, but you grind up a cup or two of frozen cranberries, 2 apples and 2 oranges, and add some sugar to taste. This is very good.
I too am trying to decide if I should ship my two sheep. The horns on Jack or right next to his head now. I tried banding them, but it didn't work. I think having him dehorned would probly kill him. And I can't get rid of Jack and keep his sister Jill. That would kill her. I really enjoy them, and using their wool. I do know if I ever got any more sheep, NO HORNS. I will wait to shear them, and then maybe ship them. I hate the thought, but I can't ask my husband to do the deed either.
This is my Chrismas card this year.
Sending warm wishes to all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  05:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful card Michele. I had a shetland that horns kept growing toward his head, we would catch him and we kept trimming the tip to prevent them from growing into his head, and it worked for 2-3 years. We would just take off the tip, never getting into the blood source. He didn't even seem to mind much but it was hard going trimming on that hard horn. Finally had to just say goodbye.
I hope someone with a flock can get his sister and she can be happy too.
We still have had only a trace of snow here and I am not complaining.

I revised my blog from yesterday...I was rushing...now the recipes are not over into the brown and a little easier to read.

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  06:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas, everyone! I'll be in Southern California Christmas day, and then off to the Sequoias for a camping trip over the remainder of the holidays. I hope you will all be warm and cozy with loved ones.
I miss my sheep! I will be keeping my farm, so maybe I will have more within a year or two. And, Sarita, we will still be neighbors! Maybe we will actually get together one of these days!
Happy Holidays!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone! Love the card Michele. I hope everyone will be safe and happy this holiday season and spending it with those they love.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how I miss our sheep comings and goings conversations on here but life has blind sided so many of us. Michele, Sheri, and Brenda, it is so good to know that all is well with you.
I want to wish everyone of my new and old sheep friends on this chat forum a Very Merry Christmas. I pray that God will bless each of your paths in everything that you do. I hope each of you will be surrounded by those that you love and that you are blessed with much.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  04:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to all! Best wishes Sherri and Brenda too.
Sarita I read your blog page. I kind of know what you are feeling. I like to keep busy, and with all the work going on before Christmas, you get tired, and when you finally have everything done, I kind of feel like now what. Hard to put into words. I try to get some projects going for next year. Take the time to relax and enjoy. School will be starting up, and then next thing you know you will be lambing and calving. :)
We have trimmed horns on my wether for 5-6 years now. I really need to look up and see how old he is. But it has gotten to the point we can't do it anymore. The whole horn has curled around so we can't get in there to do it. He never minded the horn trimming either. Maybe I can find a couple more sheep, and then keep Jill too. But Jack will have to go. Sometimes I don't like him much, he is very pushy. Good luck with getting an electric spinning wheel Sarita. That will keep you on your toes! I am just a beginner, so I have no knowledge of them.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to everyone! I hope everyone had a good Christmas with those they love. I ended up with a flu bug the day after and am still trying to get my energy back. I hope everyone misses this one as it was particularly bad and really kicked me a good one. So far we have been lucky with rain instead of snow and I am very grateful for that! I was sure in no shape to be shoveling anything. Looks like we will get some rare sunshine today and that should perk everyone up as it's been so dark. I know what you mean, Sarita - I too am always drained after the holidays. I am suspicious that it is diet related - all the rich food and extra sugar but around here it is also lack of light - the outside security lights are still on after 8 am and it's dark before 4. Let's hope this coming year is a great one for all - a time of healing and economic recovery. I think the whole country is flirting with depression! I pray for a year of peace and one of personal growth for everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year, everyone! Can you believe it is 2012? I decided to wash Mini's first fleece yesterday after trying to spin in the grease...it did not take me long after smelling the raw wool that I would wash the fiber first even though I enjoyed spinning the raw fiber. I washed most of the fleece yesterday morning and laid the clean fiber over a vent and I was carding and spinning by afternoon. I spun and 2 plied about 75 yards and hung it to dry last night before midnight...I am off to a good start for 2012.
Hope everyone is off to a good start for 2012!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  04:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Sarita sounds like you are making good on your New Years resolution! I have been looking at my spinning wheel, thinking it is time to get it spinning! I do have most of last years wool to get carded first! Will do some blending of the white and grey/brownish. I love that look.
Sheri I hope you are feeling much better now.
Stay warm
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  07:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the 2nd day of the New Year Ladies. It sounds like everyone made it thru the holidays and are working on great projects for this year. Spinning is the subject of desire I see for most of us and I too have been busy at the wheel. Needing to spend sometime in the touching, creating and love of my sweet fiber. Had again some horrible wind to deal with and still have items it find and fix from last weeks 86 mile an hour gusts. Luckly the metal that kept flapping on the smaller barn held on but only by a couple of nails. Wished one of the boys could come out because I really do not do ladders.. Their schedules are so jammed that it will be till next month before they have a day off... The goat girls are still not happy that they are not being breed and having babies - sometimes I just want to stick a sock in their mouths. Chief has been not feeliing a 100% but then who is right now??? I am not going to complain because I know I am in better health then some but December was let's just say not kind to this body...

Since I am not one for resolutions I was wondering what new adventures do you might have planned for this year?? I have had so many BIG changes rolling around in my head but now I just have to get the courage up to step forward. Normally I have no problem doing that but this last year really has taken the get up and go out of me. So maybe hearing your great plans might give me strength - how bout it?

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  11:59:32 AM  Show Profile
I don't have sheep or spin but I am fascinated with it so enjoy hearing about all you ladies projects and your sheep,I have so many irons in the fire lately but maybe someday I'll venture into it.
Grace that wind we had was terrible,it was much worse up your way,we didn't get it as bad here but a bunch of the tin blew off my sheds and throwing hay was sure a waste because it left the country as soon as I got it in the feeders.
I didn't make any real new year's resolutions,I will just be thankful if this year doesn't have so much crisis and strife as last year,we've had deaths in the family,family wars that resulted in estrangement and all sorts of stuff so I'm trying to be real positive and look forward to better things this year.
As far as plans go,I have a few,I'm building some moveable broiler shelters to raise some more pastured poultry for ourselves and some to supply a local based pastured meat seller and then I'm hoping to expand my Nubian goat herd and we also just got a big grant from the county to clean up the five acres of our land that has been used as a tire dump by my stepfather and his father who ran a tire business and just trashed that portion of the property,it's terrible but I hope this year they will get them all trucked out and we can level the berm and open that land up for other uses.
Well I hope we all have a great year ahead of us,I would love to hear what positive changes you gals all have planned for this year!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  07:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Yay! I found it! Thanks Grace, I guess I should have done a little more poking around! Lots of good info here!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  04:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Howdy everyone. I wanted to give an update on using castrating bands to dehorn. I put them on my wether Jack back in August. I thought he had finally rubbed them off, and it was not going to work. But a week or two ago he wacked one horn and loosened it up. It bleed, but very minimal amount. It was around the base of his horn and ran down his nose a bit, but had stopped. He was sore for a few days, but kept eating and drinking. Now I noticed that the entire horn is loose and moves around when he moves his head. Maybe this will work??? The other horn is black around the base, so I am guessing that is dead too. Or at least dying. Hoping this all works out and I don't have to ship him. At least with his head a bit sore, he is being nice to Jill, his sister. I do know if I ever got any more sheep, I would make sure to get something that is polled. No more horns for me!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile
It has been a while since I have been on here! Things have been busy as usual! I pray that everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Years! I really miss all of you and hope that we can get back to chatting!

Brenda, That is wonderful that you are keeping the farm! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica! Not only am I keeping the farm, but I am getting my ram, one of the ram lambs born on the farm (as a wether), and 3 of my favorite ewes back! I can't wait. I will miss lambing this year, but should be back on track for next spring! I am very excited. Can you tell? I should be back to writing my blog again, too, pretty soon...looking at May for my return to the farm.
Hope everyone else is doing well too. I thought about Grace the other day as someone on our sheep board was looking to buy a farm in Colorado for raising sheep!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  3:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see life back in this group - was just going to sit down to find it again and check on everyone - thanks Monica...

Exciting news to hear that you are getting back to your farm Brenda - I bet your more then excited!!! I am thrilled for you. Yes, I am wishing to sell the farm so if you know someone let me know. I am still trying to find a realitor - mine of 30 some years has retired to FL and is in ill health. This place is s turn key operation and is perfect for sheep as you know I ran them here for many years.

As for me - been working very hard - have two new Llama babies and they are loveable and doing well.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Hope they chime in - miss hearing what is going on with everyone. Hugs

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  03:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Brenda, hope all works out well, you deserve it!
2 new babies Grace, how exciting. I love having babies on the farm. They are so sweet.
Nothing much new here. Waiting for cows to start calving. They will be a few weeks yet I think. But checking them everyday. Sheeps are good. Chickens are laying. Cow still milking. :)
Been doing some knitting and sewing. Need to get at some spinning.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  06:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Michele sounds like you are right one track - keeping busy with the life at hand. I have the two llama baby pictures up on the blog... Dottie and Mari are now their names after the contest. I have a Gatitude Giveaway on the blog going right now for my blog follers - it is an art batt... Those of who follow I hope will play.
It might be something new for your to spin - hint, hint.

Glad to know all is well with you - Love, Light and Fiber.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes Grace I took the hint! I read your blog often, but in secret! I have never left comments before!
Got a bag of Jill's wool ready to card. I got the fiber all fluffed up. I have a bag of Jack's wool to do also, about the same amount. I worked on it outside, but it was colder then the sunny day made me think! 30 degrees in sunshine is cool yet. I had dyed have of Jacks wool this fall, with my walnut dye. I will card half of both colors, then mix the other two halves together. I really like the dark with the light, and visa versa. Though Jills wool is more grey this time. It is from last spring shearing. I know I am slow this time around! Soon it will be time to shear again.
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page