Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile
We got rain again!!! Suppose to be nice next few days though and actually get in to the 70's and 80's! YIPPPEEEE
Things are starting to move along again here so am hoping I will soon be telling you about my sheep. Sorry just get so excited I have to talk about it
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  04:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Jami I am SO jealous!! Lexi's book, Intertwined, is my FAVORITE. That is the style I'm shooting for. I did find this video (http://www.insubordiknit.com/video) which teaches the same sort of techniques. I've ordered it and can't WAIT for it to come. You'll have to tell us what you thought of the class when you're done. And take lots of notes. LOL!!

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  08:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I just glanced at that site and boy that is way beyond me right now but I will go back and check it out some more. Kinda cool though. Well we are having nice weather up here right now so now that my grandson who is 13 is up here visiting we are going to go fishing. I have never been so this is going to be an experience for me!!!! hehehehehee I checked out that other site the one with the skirting and boy was that ever interesting. the page where they were talking blood counts and microns and all of that, WOW that was great. Especially the part where it said how many skeins you can get from one wool fleece. WOW I won't need to many sheep at all to keep me in wool!!! I am getting so much interesting info ,, thanks everyone....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Raining again today so I think I will clean house, sew on an apron from blue jeans and spin and card wool today. Garden is up and weeds are coming on like gang busters. I could also feed the compost pile and clean on the barn today....maybe tomorrow.
Jami, I am so excited for you! I love this gal's yarns. How much wool will you take with you? We will need pictures! Sweet of hubby to encourage you.
Beverley did you and the grandson catch any fish? Beverley, a word of advise: A spinner's flock should stay small if you want to enjoy spinning but what often happens you grow to love the sheep and lambs so much that sheep and lambs consume you and the spinning, knitting, weaving goes to the back burner. Your precious Zuri will put off a good big bag of fine wool and it should felt very easily. Lots of skeins of yarn there.
Rae, done with the chicken house yet? Are the sheep getting closer now? It seems like we are continually working on pens, fences, waterers, something...chore list just continues to grow...never done.
Grace, did the hail and storms get you last week...on the weather channel, it looked like Colorado took another beating. Hope you and your babies are OK.
Sheri and Grace, how goes the wedding prep? Sheri are the dresses done yet?
I rested last week a couple of days and had to go on antibiotics again. I have this autoimmune thing and when I start to get an infection, my body goes to fighting it and gets carried away and attachs my own joints and body. After months of testing, many dollars spent..it looks like I would slow down and prevent this...(Kicking myself) I just get so involved at lambing time, up and down all hours of the night and then it is like I can't lay in my bed and sleep when I should. I started feeling better on Saturday so I put up the trellis for the pole beans (steel posts with wire and string stung in between), cleaned house, etc. I also froze some peas. Will need to can some pickled beets this week. Better get to hitting it!
Hope all is well with you all you sheep and wool lovers.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:47:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, I hope I'm in the course. I had a glitch trying to use the coupon code they sent and I am not sure I'm in it yet. I left a phone message Friday morning, no call back yet and then an email yesterday so we'll get this figured out. I definitely need to go if I can because FiddleChick made me feel like it's going to be pretty great! I don't have either of Lexi's books. I just don't learn from a book when it comes to something so hands-on. Now a pattern I can follow but not a methodology of how to do something that is artistic. Ya know? I guess the video/DVD would be more my style too.

We started cutting hay yesterday. Thunder was around but no rain to speak of here at our place although I heard it rained in town.

I agree with Sarita about the spinner's flock. Keep it small or you'll end up having to find a place to market your wool, the lambs, ewes, etc. It will take a hobby and make it a business and business is WORK. Work can certainly take the fun out of something. I am paring down my flock slowly and this year will do the same again. Selling breeding stock is rewarding but can be very time consuming and tedious.

Sarita, if I do get to take the course I will take some carded batts that I naturally dyed from my dye garden a couple of years ago. It sits in my craft closet and will be perfect for this wild style of doing things.

I'm hoping Grace is safe and sound. Sheri, hope you got those flowers planted. Weeded the garden on Saturday morning and harvested more spinach and things are slow this year. I am thinking of putting some black plastic at the base of my tomato and pepper plants to warm up the soil more for growth. It's just turning cooler again it seems. Rae, talk sheep all you want. We all enjoy it.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Hope you are feeling better Sarita. No the dresses aren't finished yet. I got waylaid doing outside chores - gardens etc. It's hard to be in two places at once. I wish there were three or four of me LOL!! I still have some flowers to plant and then I am going to hit the sewing hard. The wedding dress is down to hems so is almost done. I still have two flower girls and two jr. bridesmaid dresses to do. My hands get so thrashed working in the dirt that I am almost afraid to touch anything white. My son and his intended graduate from college on thursday so I will be going into town for that. Of course it's downtown in the Opera House which makes parking a real drag. Once that is over then there will be no more "events" until the wedding. Of course it would help if my spinning wheel would quit calling me! I find myself spinning in front of the 11:00 pm news just because it's so much fun to spin my own wool instead of stuff I've purchased. I can't resist and I can't wait to start knitting stuff I've raised. I have this lace shawl pattern that beckons me but she will have to wait until fall....

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:49:20 AM  Show Profile
Sarita
Have you ever made beet jelly? You use the juice when you cook the beets before adding anything to it.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies
Still in the storm mode - had a tornadoe watch again last night so I was sitting in the basement doing needlework. I cut out tons of bookmarks that I stamp and attach a felt (from my own sheep's wool) flower. I finished the bridal gift in the basement and put more projects down there because we are to get hammered again today. That is eight days in a row - hail, wind, rain and threat of tornadoes - Mother Nature is really let us have it.

As for the wedding things - I have not planted the flower pots because of the weather - but I have had them under grow lights because I can not even get them outside. I think I am going to have to purchase bigger pots because they are doing so well. I finished my gift for the bridal shower. I will show pictures but after the event. I have the favor's done but still waiting on the wording she wants included but my end is done. I still have not order my clothing for the wedding - dragging my feet on that - really wished I could wear the pink overalls.

Jami - I finally got the fiber sample - my neighbor down the way had it and he took forever to just come my way - anyway I will email you of site. I ordered the DVD of that spinning site - love seeing other's way of teaching - I have been teaching boucle, corespun and slubs for years but I always love to see what other's are doing. Hope you got to attend the class if so, tell us all about it when you can.

I had a very productive Saturday - had two new wholesale buyers place and purchase my yarns. Now the shop looks bare but I will be heating up the dye pots, switching on the electric carder and creating some new blends and hopefully be getting to the sewing machine too. Who knows I might just take a nap in the basement.

Hope you all have a sun filled calm weather day.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Grace how horrible the weather has been for you. Are tornados usual for your area? I know how scary they can be as I had one take out 5 acres of trees behind my house one year and it was a small one. They are not usual here but they do happen as my "new field" will attest to. Glad to hear your yarn is selling so well. I am finally planting flowers in the garden today - we have been under thunder storm warnings off and on as well but I don't want to buy more potting soil and pot them up again. So I guess I am gambling that there won't be any hail in those clouds hovering along the horizon! Hope your weather improves by leaps and bounds.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  12:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I have to say...I just got the Sit and Spin video (Jacey Boggs; Insubordiknit.com) and I sat right down and watched it even though I am behind in like everything in my life right now. It was the happiest hour I've spent in awhile. Great, great video if you want to learn art yarn. Very informative and the video angles were great, you could really see what she was doing. I am SO kicking myself now that I didn't pick up any laceweight cones when I was at the Fiber Studio last Friday. I didn't agree with a reviewer who said the list of materials really stretched her stash...she used some merino, some mohair, some mixed batts and laceweight cones mostly. My stash is microscopic and I have all that except the cones. Anyway, just wanted to pass along my review in case anyone was interested in the video and reluctant to splash out the $$. She teaches 16 different types of yarns so I thought it was well worth it. Now if I can just figure out how to increase the size of my orifice to accommodate everything I want to spin... (LOL!!)

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  1:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace, glad you got the sample. So glad you have a safe haven to be during these storm watches. You are getting a lot done though! Sounds like you've been super busy anyhow working your little fingers through wool. The bookmarks sound cute.

I am busy prepping for my last hurrah as WSSP secretary, the annual ram and ewe sale in Moses Lake in July. Just got the catalog finished and now to proofread it and get it to the printer tomorrow morning. Then it's off my plate! Yeah.

I finally got hold of Paradise Fibers in Spokane and did get into the course for the end of the month. Yeah! I need to get some things prepped for it, like some felt nubbies that can go through the orifice on my wheel. Think I'd better setup my Delta orifice on my Rose. I bought the small orifice for that wheel because I spin at a slight angle and the Delta will go bump, bump, bump sometimes. I am left-handed and I write at an angle too.

What I want to know is how do you knit with this artsy yarn when it has tinsel and beads and coils and nubs in it? Guess I'll have to get her book and see what kind of patterns she has in it. The only thing I can ever imagine is scarves or hats but I have such a limited imagination sometimes!

I had fun yesterday, had my DIL over for her first sewing lesson. When I bought a new machine a couple of years back I gave her my old one and she took it for a spin yesterday. She made 2 potholders for 4th of July. Next we're working on throw pillows with a nice thick carded Texel batt for the guts.

Sarita, glad you're feeling up to getting your chores done up. I know how it feels when you have the chores but no umpphhfff to get them done. Rae, can't be all work and no play now...that's just no fun. Glad you go to watch the video. I will check out the links as well.

Turning this off for today. DH is out working on his swather as it broke down in the field through a heavy patch of hay. I need to get outside while this cool weather holds and see how my garden grows.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  4:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I have never made Beet jelly, is it good? Our garden has water standing in it and weeds and more weeds. (Let it go Sarita, you can't do anything about it) have to remind myself every once in a while. Weather man says we can get another inch to 6 inches tonight...and we live on a high hill in these green hills. Giving flash floods again. Not complaining, just sharing information that you don't really need.
FiddleChick, thanks for the Sit and Spin Video review...I may have to get the DVD too.
I can not get onto the Insubordiknit.com. Live in the no signal zone, slow internet. (I can't believe it when we are watching TV and in the remotest areas showing peole talking on a cell phone and we can't get any signal from here!)

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarita
It tastes like grape but it kind of green when spread :-) I made quite a bit and we eat it. Be glad to share recipe if you are interested.
Suppose to have rain again this week for quite a few days so puts stuff off again. Think we are going to do some smaller sheep fencing areas and let the sheep do some clearing for us for the summer. That way we can just rotate them and they will have nice and fresh and that will give us time to get other stuff done as well as their winter home AND I can get them sooner!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies

Well what an afternoon. A Tornadoe touched down 5 miles from me this afternoon. Took out a large farm barn and they are still checking properties. We where hit again with a big hail storm and then the scarey part - all went black, cold, silent and it looked like the world was coming to a end. I have lived in Colorado all my life and we have not had this kind of weather since I was around. Even the weather guesser are amazed. This tornadoe was huge, black and slow. The kind you see in Kansas, not Colorado. Several of my friends down the way where crazy enough to get in their truck and drive out to take pictures, which are being shown on all the news stations.

Sheri I sure wished I had a plant left. Even the chickens today was looking all all the destruction and wondering what had happened. I am sure your will be lovely - I hope you will share pictures because that is as close to flowers as I will get this year.

Jami is sounds like you spin the same way I do. I have a Ashford Country Classic which has a huge orifice but I tell you it is murder to treadle all day long on. I can not wait to hear about your class - which I was there with you. I love taking classes. I hope that DVD will be something new and exciting. I love the review FiddleChick - after I have seen it I will share my thoughts, although these days I am lucky of I can string two thoughts together.

Well, that is a new one on me - beet jelly. I had fresh beets and honey for dinner tonight but never had beet jelly. Sounds interesting. I no longer make jellies because it is just me and I do not eat much so I find great farm gals who do and just purchase their lovely jars. Sounds like you have your hands full with fencing but I know I sure would love the recipe. My daughter in law in learning how to make jellies and I am always on the hunt for a good recipe - if you don't mind. I understand your busy now Rae but if you get a down moment (like sitting in a basement with a head lamp on) I sure would love to pass on your talent.

Well, I better get back to emails while we have no storm around. You take care ladies and talk to you all later. By the way - good luck Jami on the last of the duties, I am sure you where a great WSSP Secretary.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  7:47:50 PM  Show Profile
We had two rounds of thunder storms this afternoon with really driving rains but no hail thank God. I got at least an inch and a half of rain in under half an hour. I just came in from checking my plants and although they are soggy they look alright. I can't believe that my Peonies haven't bloomed yet - they usually wait until it rains and then it bends all the flowers over. One of these years I'm gonna invest in some of those support rings for them but never wanted to spend the extra $$.

Glad to hear the tornado missed you. Hasn't this weather been crazy? I've been here 30 years and never saw a winter like the last two. Even folks who have lived here all their lives never had. So to see unusual weather where you are doesn't surprise me at all. Stay safe - I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  7:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I would love the recipe. Sounds like you have a plan with the sheep. You are really making head way. Grass rotation is a good thing, good plan.
Grace glad you are OK and have a safe place to continue with your creativity. We have some bad stuff moving our way tonight. They are saying some places will get 1-6 inches of rain tonight. The road in the wet bottoms has been closed more than open this Spring. Water is standing because the ground is so saturated. Just a couple of years ago we couldn't buy a sprinkle.
Jami, doesn't it feel good to finish something and move on to the next task at hand? I would love to get back into sewing but I keep finding other things to do. I sewed everything at one time and I pieced quilts and quilted then I just quit, that is not like me but I think I dread getting everything set up and the mess I make sewing...and then the cleaning up. Today I carded White Knight's wool and have been spinning. The spool on the Louet is almost full, tomorrow I will hopefully get another spool done and ply them together. I am anxious to see what the finished yarn will look like.
I even took pictures today of many things including the knitting needles that I made from bamboo chp stixs and skewers and polymer clay and put them up on my blog. I think I will put a glossy finish on them. They are very smooth. While I rested I sat and sanded on them till they felt like glass. I think I am just a quarterly blogger at times.
Wish we could be haying, but it is just too wet now. The grass is tall and thick.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile
WOW grace, I am so glad you were not hit by the tornado and hope the people that were are all ok ...
If anyone knows of a video hopefully on the web to watch for free that shows from the sheep to the end product would you please let me know. Thanks bev everyone stay safe and warm

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile
You know that old saying about the things you can't change, weather and taxes? Ain't it the truth girls? My goodness but I live in Utopia, wind and all! I say that for today because tomorrow I'll find something to gripe about...you just watch and wait on it...it'll come.

Sarita, no wonder you have foot rot! Wow, we get 6" of precipitation all year long. Mercy if we got it in one day. I'd built an Ark.

You know, about crafting...as much as I enjoy spinning, sewing is my first love. I've been sewing since I was a kid and I have a studio all setup for it (holds my spinning stuff too) and I keep it cleaned up pretty well after each project but having a big mess to get out and put away would put a damper on my sewing for sure. It's almost like my hideaway--not quite as hidden as Grace gets sometimes though. When I had a little 2-story farmhouse I had a small room upstairs for my sewing. That room didn't stay too clean though but my kids were still at home then.

Rae, rotational pastures is how we do it around here too. It's a great way to keep the lambs gaining and keep the feed fresh and growing and a good way to control worm load too.

Well, told myself I would just check-in here and get back to this ram sale stuff. Grace, thanks for the nice comment. I know I put a lot of effort into the WSSP job and I know the membership appreciated it. The board is a great group of people, like family to me now. But I am ready to work more with wool and artistic endeavors and see my parents more...the traveling duo.

Grace, would you tell us a little bit about your "store". Is it a real physical storefront at your farm or do you mean the online store? If it's at the farm, how do you get people to come out that far? Do you keep regular hours or by appointment?

Hold onto your hats, girls.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Looks like we may have another thunderstorm moving in again. I did get some of my planters done on the back deck tho. The good news for the day is that Chisolm, my really squirly wether actually came up and let me scratch his nose this afternoon. All of my sheep are like lap dogs except for him. I have nick named him the "cartoon" because he actually prances and does weird loop-de-loops in mid air just like the sheep in cartoons do. He has always been stand-offish until I had been picking fleeces a couple of weeks ago and then I guess I smelled like one of the group and he let me scratch his head. But today I don't smell sheepish (I hope since I just came home from town) but he let me scratch him anyway.

Jami sewing is my first love too and I have tons to do if I can ever get all this gardening done and get back in the house. Thursday is the kid's graduation from college - long hours in the Opera House and then I should be done with "do's" except for the bridal shower until the wedding.

Hope all is well with everyone and no weather mis-haps.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  3:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok here it is, so next time you cook beets save the juice.

Grape Jelly
4 cups beet juice
1 pkg sure-gel
5 cups sugar
2 cups grape kool aid
Put beet juice and sure gel together, bring to boil. Add sugare and kool aid, bring to boil for 2 minutes.
Put in jars and seal with parfin wax.

I just boil my jars and lids, pour into jars put on lids and seal, tipping them upside down just for a little bit for bacteria sake.

It will appear kind of green on your bread/toast but tastes like grape.

If anyone chooses to try it let me know if you liked it.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  08:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rae, I have not been able to pull the beets, afraid I would sink out in that mud and no one would ever find me. Got another inch and half in last 2 days...at least we didn't get the 5-6 inches predicted. I will have to get some koolaid...need it for dying wool anyway.
I also use beet juice to dye wool...it has been awhile but I think I add alum. Hope I can find my recipe. Has anyone else used beet juice to dye wool? I also use the tops to make beet greens, boiled down and drained and then cooked in the big cast iron skillet with bacon then served with vinegar, beans and ham and corn bread....what a treat!
Grace, so glad you are OK. Maybe the system has blown itself out and the weather will settle down now. It seemed like every day the weather maps showed red and orange over Colorado.
Jami, in this old farm house, I only have the upstairs so I chose to have my big weaving looms set up and so the sewing machine gets put away, the ironing board put in the closet...I too started sewing at about 9 years of age in 4-H and then I sewed almost all of my babies sleepers and clothes then it was shirts, jeans, dresses, then prom dresses, as they grew up. I always liked to sew at night when my kids were in bed. Maybe I am at another cross roads in my life! Since Ang has moved out....I could set up a sewing room in the spare room!
Jami, I bet it will be hard to fill your shoes as secretary. I can't wait to hear about the class. I love to take classes too, they really lite a fire under my creativity.
It is suppose to get in the 90s today and with the rain we have had, I get a sauna today! I am washing wool today and later today make a town trip for feed. Washed 2 fleeces yesterday. Getting boxes ready to mail out to a wool processor. I have been washing wool off and on and didn't realize how much wool was already to go out. I washed Dolly's fleece yesterday, she has a very fine baby soft fleece with a staple of 4-5 inches with lots of crimp for a corridale, she is not a friendly ewe at all but she puts off the best fleece on the place.
Sheri, sounds like you are about to the point of relaxing. You will be ready for some down time by the time the wedding is over...
Jami, the mail man just delivered my order from you....I love the colors of your sheep tails especially the rose color. The pictures on your etsy site were pretty but not as pretty as right here in front of me! Beautiful wool...the package has made my day! I just love to try different kinds of wool from different breeds, don't you? Take a look at Jami's Etsy if you haven't yet. I think I shall make some Jami stuffed mittens with the yarn that I spin from your coopworth wool. (I think the pattern is on my blog.) The beautiful lamb tail rovings will be hung in my studio for awhile!
Gotta get back to the task at hand so I can take a break with my spinning wheel on the shady front porch and Jami's wool. Tea is brewing for a tall cold ice tea to sip on as I spin! Have a lovely day ladies!
Sarita in sunny Missouri

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  09:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Where do you guys send your wools to be processed? We have one here in michigan I think in frankenmuth. What are good prices for doing that?
By the way sewing is my first love too. I just recently got into this wool stuff when I started knitting 2 years ago. I just love knitting with wool. your hands are nicer when you get done. The acrylic stuff pulls the moisture out of your hands as you knit but the wool puts some lanolin back on your hands. Oh so nice to work with...

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  1:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita, you are very sweet. I hope to have more on the Etsy site soon...I just found out I have almost 3 weeks of "vacation"in July right after the ram sale from my other paying job and I plan to fill it with wool, wool, wool. Sarita, your day sounds LOVELY girl...wheel on the front porch. Even the humidity might be bearable there if you get a nice tall glass of tea or something going. I like iced coffees (homemade) when it's hot. So glad you didn't float away with the rain!

You've got your Mojo back too! That's a lot of fleece washing.

I wish we could all have a play day with our individual wools and dream up new uses for it. My creativity gets stagnant without others for inspiration. I'll check out your blog for the mittens, Sarita.

Fiber mills seem sometimes abundant and at other times elusive Beverley. It's nice to have a close one. It's even nicer to have feedback from someone who has used their services. I use the internet a lot for that and ask my fellow sheep producer. I know that's hard to do when you're new to sheep and you don't know many folks yet. You might do some Googling for the name of the one in your area. Sometimes with the name typed in fiber artists blogs will come up and you can read about their services and how others like them. I find it's expensive if I have the mill wash my wool. It's heavier to ship (grease weight is about double of washed weight) and costs to have washed of course. Some mills insist on washing it themselves due to the variety of detergents people use if they wash their own. I find myself using different mills for different products.

Well, back to the grind...wanted to take a break and see "my girls"! I'll catch up with you all tomorrow, good Lord willing and I don't blow outta here...it's a gale-force since last night. Even the sheep are resting out of the wind today. The hay is drying fast, let me tell you!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  3:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Beverley, they are many wool processors and the prices vary. You need to research the prices and what services they provide. Some processors can't process the longer length of shetland wool. I call them to see what services they provide, what type of soaps and degreasers they use, in fact I like to wash my own before sending it to them because I don't like to pay to ship dirt and oil. Shipping is very high.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  4:07:28 PM  Show Profile
$%&*@#$%^!Tornado warnings and raining again. I have to remember to praise God in all things and He knows what is best for us.
I have a question for all sheep growers: how do you keep the flies down? I use agriculture lime on the wet areas, clean the barn regularly, and put up fly stips. I also put agriculture lime on the ground around the waterers and feeders and in the barn on the floor. We have had so much moisture and the flies are terrible.
Better get off and shut down the computer since the storm is getting closer.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page