Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Sara, there is a mill in Illinois that is set up to process the longer wools. They have a flock of shetlands. I contacted them about my longer wool and they said they could do it. I haven't tried them yet but I plan to send out a batch in this month.

Illinois processing, they have a web site, give them a call, they are super nice people.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:34:34 AM  Show Profile
Have fun with all the fiber ladies. Maybe sometime someone could talk about skirting? The right way. A short version would be helpful, or maybe suggesting some good reading about skirting? I probely did everthing wrong in processing my wool! :) I like my yarn though!
Anyways I enjoy reading and learning here.
I have been knitting scarves, and have a headband done for Christmas. All with my wool or some I have spun. I do have to get back to spinning, as I am almost out of yarn again.
Thanks again for all the great chat, and tips you all post.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  06:01:38 AM  Show Profile
You all provide such great info. I am hoping maybe next year to start in the the wool processing business with my crew.
They are so funny, we have some pumpkins we give them every so often for treat and they really get into it as come up with orange noses!!
They do seem to be adjusting really well and I think they like us as come to both hubby and me more each day.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Rae, You need to put up pics for us!! I am so glad that you re having such a wonderful time with your flock!

Please keep me in your thoughts! I finally got sick! The worst part is that I have 9 pounds of washed lovely Lincoln wool waiting for me to play with it and I am just not up to it, so I am sitting here longingly looking at it! No fun at all!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Get well soon Monica!
Rae, my sheep always love the left over pumkins...yes we need to see some pictures

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Monica hope you are on the mend...

I am still moving hay - my arms feel like wet noddles - I still have 3 ton to move and stack into the different barns. I did get all the barns cleaned, heat lamps, pens and supplies done in all the barns and even managed to fill one more pot hole the size of a VW bug - not really but it sure felt like it with each shovel full of dirt I put in it.

I will gladly send you some instructions with pictures of skirting if you wish Michele unless someone else wishes to jump in?? There is more then a brief explaination to skirting and I do not wish to bore others with my long explainations.

Don't you just love your new farm partners Rae. Pumpkins are also a great source of minerals for expecting goats and sheep. Thanksgiving feast for my sweet one's are always, cut pumplins, squash and a handfull of cranberries. Acorn squash is for Christmas along with pear slices and shredded carrots. Yummy, Yummy great for their tummies.

Hope everyone is doing well and hip high in great fiber.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Hope you are feeling better Monica. Sounds like you've really been doing the heavy labor, Grace. I am finally knitting with my own two-ply yarn from my sheep. It's so cool!!! I am knitting a lacy scarf from Roddy's fleece. It's one thing to spin commercially prepared fiber from a shop but to spin from my own flock is awesome! I kiss his nose every day and now I am going to be wearing his gift to me. It doesn't get any better than that. Has anyone heard anything from Jami? I have been thinking of her and praying for her Mom. Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I think I have had enough of being sick! I was dreaming about sheep and fiber last night! Maybe I am going through with drawl from not having played with fiber for 4 days now! haha! Hopefully I will be up to it today!

Grace, I hope you get a chance to rest a bit!

Sheri, You will have to show us pics of your scarf when you get it done!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  4:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Grace that would be wonderful for the help. Thank you. It can wait till after the first of the year. You are so busy with getting ready for winter, and christmas at your shop. We have been having nice weather here, and trying to get everhting ready for winter. Got pens, coop cleaned. Yard work done, manure hauled. Trying to get wood cut. Animals sold, and moved down to our place for winter. Still have to get our round bales hauled down. I keep thinking I am about done, then I think of one more thing to do. :)
Sheri I agree it is so fun knitting with yarn from your own sheep. I hope to do a sweater one of these days for myself.
Monica I hope you are about over your bout with illness.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  05:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Happy Friday the 13th Ladies!!!

For those of us who love horror movies guess what I will be watching while working away at the dye pots today????

That's right I have all the Friday 13th movies so the VCR will be going none stop. Now I know they are not everyone's taste in horror but I admit it - I LOVE the B Horror Movie.

So what do you do or not do on this day. No black cats? Stay far away from ladders? Throw salt over your shoulder? Mine is I do not book a vacation weekend at Camp Crystal Lake????

Hope everyone is well and getting those chores done. I am working like a beaver trying to get products done for the big after Thanksgiving shopping weekend at my shop in town - it is nuts!!! I have been dyeing yarn like crazy and getting my scarves and shawls all labeled and priced. Finished making gift bags and hope to get the cards done Saturday.... Busy little bee here.

What holiday projects are you all working on?? I am interested how many fiber owners sell finished items??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Please send prayers to my 21 year old Angora Goat Masquerade - for those who don't know her she is Monica and Mishka's mother.

Today she had trouble getting up and was not 100% present. I sat with her and got her to finally eat and drink. Very unsteady but doing her best. Monica stood next to her to steady her and gently lick her mother's eyelashes as if to give her strength. A warm bucket of vitamin water and pear slices for lunch is on the menu - hope this is just a little bump in the road. I know most goat never make it to this age but I guess we are all feeling our age when the weather turns.

Hope everyone is staying warm - we have a nothing storm coming tonight. I have been up since 2 am so I think after Masquerads lunch I might take a bit of a nap - this old gal was feeling the cold in the early am.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Prayers out for you both. I can't imagine as I have gotten so attached to my sheep in this little bit of time already.

Things are calming down a tiny bit here. Have some stuff yet to do before snow but doesn't feel impossible anymore. Got the roof on lean to so just need to do side but at least can start to stack wood under it and it stays dry!!! Our son split a bunch when he was up this week hunting. I am so excited to be able to have wood not covered by snow this year!

Sally now gives me heck when she sees me as thinks I need to be bringing them all some treats. Will have to plant a whole section of pumpkin next year!!! They go wild with that.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  5:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Rae - that is the wonderful blessing of being so loved by these wonderful animals. While sitting in the barn with Masqurade the other goats came and sat with us. My top lead girl Eboney sat and licked away my tears as I watched my old girl. I feel I am so blessed to be able to care for these souls and everyday is full of joy even when the end might be near.

I tell folks all the time I would NEVER trade a minute of what I do even when it might be to say good bye to a dear companion. For now she is hanging in there - I think she likes to see me worry and sit with her giving her all the attention - which is just fine with me.

It sounds like your becoming a real sheep mommy and my heart sings for you Rae. Enjoy every minute. Dry Wood - a great blessing too.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Folks that have never been lucky enough to care and be cared for by the four leggeds don't understand the soul connection that takes place between us. They always know. They know our hearts sometimes better than we do. I too, would never trade a second of my time with them either.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I thought of you when I saw the date yesterday! You are a nut! I will be praying for Masquerade!

Just to let you all know, I got an e-mail back from Jami and asked if it was okay to share a bit. Her mom is very quickly nearing the end. She has been off of chemo and artificial nutrition for a week now, so it's just a matter of time! Jami is doing well, just not up to chatting right now! Please keep her in your prayers!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  04:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Keeping all in my thoughts and prayers. It is a hard time for Jami and for Grace. I love my animals as well. Animals know a whole lot more then they are given credit for. Masquerade sure has lived a long and wonderful life.
We have been getting at cutting wood. Then I did a little spinning in the evening. Just a little, as I was pretty tired! WE have been having some pretty nice weather, though it is still plenty wet in the woods.

Take care All
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  05:18:09 AM  Show Profile
My animals are my sanity, in fact Friday towards end of work day told people I was planning to go home and have intelligent conversation with my sheep and chickens!!!!

Thanks for update on Jami, prayers out for her too.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  07:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the wonderful prayers and mine are with Jami too today! It is never easy watching a loved one come to their end of days - I did it with my father, my husband, my father in law and it is never where we want to be, so I hold Jami and her family in heart and prayers.

Thought I would give a barn update - Masqurade and I spent a long night in the barn - the snow has been falling since 4 in the afternoon and still is coming down this morning. We sat curled up under the heat lamp in her pen for all of Saturday night while I stroked her head and kept her company. She is standing this morning without swaying and ate some oatmeal and drank her special drink I made for her. Her gentle sounds while looking in my eyes made the whole cold night well worth it. We are not out of the woods but at least we had another night together.

The rest of the farm was happy to see me as the snow is now 8 to 10 inches high and they all wanted their breakfast. I am finally getting warm and almost have my aching bones to a dull roar.

Hope all will have a peaceful day today and stay warm. This snow is expected to go all day and into part of the night. Again, thank you all for your kind words and prayers please keep Maqurade in your prayers again today if you can. Blessings to you and yours

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  08:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Grace, you and Maqurade are in my prayers. Maqurade is lucky to have you and have the love that you have given her over the years.
Jami and her family are also in my prayers.
One of my co-worker's husband was killed in a farm accident in a truck that was loaded with grain last Sunday. My friend has a little girl and had just found out that she is expecting her second child. They were also putting up a new home. Please pray for this young mother too.
Sheep are doing great. I will take the rams out about 12-30-09. My young ewes from last Spring are so friendly and have lovely wool. I thought I was going to have a stick tight problem but they have about cleaned each other's wool now.
I will be Grandmother again next week.
I pray that God will wrap his loving arms around each and every one of you and love and protect you.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I will absolutely be praying for your friend! I could not imagine having to go through something like that!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Sarita - Please send my thoughts to your friend... What a horrible thing to have happen and I know what she is going thru and words just can not do much other then to let her know that others who have never met her will be praying for her and her children. I have a friend in Alaska who's husband was just diagnosied with lung cancer and he never smoked - they have a two year old daughter - she is crushed. That same friends neighbor was hurt in a snow mobile accident that same day (that is how they get around in the way back country and she lost the baby she was carrying. It seems that life is hitting us from all sides and it is overwhelming. I tell myself to stay in the moment and give thanks for every blessing no matter how small - like the joy from seeing your 21 year old goat get up and down without help, eating and cup of grain and the twinkle in her eyes. Prayers do work and I thank you so much for all the one's sent our way - now we sent it to others.

I am so blessed to have you wonderful long distant friends - I count all of you in my blessings each and every day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  3:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, know that I am praying for your friend as well. I went through losing a husband in a horrible accident - it will be 20 years this month. I know how shocking and devestating the experience is. I wouldn't have made it through without all the support of my friends and community. It seems like there are a lot of folks getting ready to transition home - my friend's husband is knocking on the door with stomach/pancreatic cancer - a few days at most. All we can do is be there with heart and spirit and try to send energy to those that are dealing with these situations close at hand.

I am happy to hear that your dear goat is up and eating again. Such a wonderful gift these four leggeds give us - such trust and unconditional love. I think we humans could take a cue from them more often than not.

Have been getting ready for winter - moving things around to allow for snow plowing, replaced the mercury vapor down at the barn. We had our first snow that stuck - only a couple of inches but we are in the gray days of winter around here (we tend to get long stretches of gray even if there is no precipitation). It gets difficult to feel energized when there is so little light. Here is is only 3:30 and the outside lights have already started to come on.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Just a few words of appreciation for my wooly friends. I have never met a sheep person that I didn't like! Bless you all.
I have found that I feel closer to God and the best place to pray is: the barn, on a 5 gal bucket in the middle of my flock.
Still washing wool! Hope to finish over Christmas break...start getting ready for Spring Shearing again. I am very excited about this year's wool. I too am bracing for the winter season that is upon us.
As I read all the things sheep and goats, I realize that our lives come together and mingle, with so many similarities of our pasts, our personalities so much alike and so much compassion for others in our heart with sheep and goats being the common denominator.
Monica, are you feeling better?
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, Yes, I am! Thank you for asking! My cough is even finally starting to go away! I have finally gotten back on track with working on fiber! I must say I think that was the worst part about being sick! I had all of this clean fiber just waiting to be carded and I couldn't do anything but look at it! I have 4 more fleece to wash, but I have to wait to get a new belt for my washing machine! It decided to go out in the middle of a load of clothes yesterday!

I have to agree with you that I have never met a sheep person that I didn't like either! I don't have any sheep now, but I sure hope that some day I can get even a few! Right now the kids and I are working on dad to let us get one of my neighbors puppies! Wish us luck!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  9:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you are on the mend and back to the fiber Monica. Hope your puppy dreams come true. I don't know what I would do without my dear pooch. He's my "one dog night" bed warmer and companion.

Had to make a run to town for chicken feed today and pick up some supplies for my friend as she can't leave her husband alone anymore. We visited for a couple of hours just to break up the time of sitting vigil. I don't think it will be long now.

Hope all is well for everyone. How's your goat doing, Grace - is she any better?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page