Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  2:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I see things are rolling along in the kidding pen for you, Grace. That first sad Ebony story is a stumper. There has got to be SOMETHING there, as I'm sure you are suspecting, to explain strong lambs and then downhill from there and quick. So sorry to hear of this but glad the next set of kids were healthy and you got a bonus to boot. : )

I have only had one ewe lose her only lamb once...leaving her childless and boy, was she depressed! I threw her in the "blending pen" with the ewes and their lambs so she would try to snap out of and that "Gestapo" mother (her nickname after this day) stole a lamb so fast it would make your head spin. I jugged them up together and made her let it nurse and she was its mother forevermore and did a great job raising it. She fortunately had milk still although it was a day after she had lost her lamb. I felt sorry for the mama she stole the lamb from but she had twins so got over it. I was truly afraid she would have died from a broken heart or depression, both...if I had not put her in with the lambs. She was just lying all by herself out in the pasture and she was a very expensive blood-line heavy ewe that I couldn't afford to lose and had just purchased. Why she lost her lamb is another story...cold night, and she was a first-timer who didn't know what to do with a lamb when she gave birth to it. Go figure sheep.

Anyhow, sorry for the loss but glad happier days are here. Lori, have fun getting your sheep. I have had people come buy sheep in Suburbans and Subarus both. Always amazes me how inventive people can be when it comes to wanting some fiber. LOL.

Over and out for now. Take care.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Well, the lady hasn't replied to my email yet, so she may not have them anymore. Sure is hard to wait.

Jami, my oh so clever hubby modified a pen that was a rabbit cage in its former life to have a huge door that opened from across the top and half way down one side. He folded a huge tarp into quarters and put it in the back of the suburban, then put the pen on top, and wrapped the tarp up the sides - kinda like wrapping the bottom only of a present. We traveled the 6 hours back from Missouri in fine condition!
Funny story that you gals will get a kick out of. We stopped about 9:00 at night on the trip home at a McDonalds for burgers. Hubby turned the automatic headlight feature off while he ran in to the restroom. When we took off again, he forgot to turn the headlights back on. We got about 1/4 mile down the road, and what do you know - blue lights behind us. Hubby was a city police officer in our town for 10 years, and he realized immediately what he had done. When the officer came up to the window, he had a really strange look on his face - he could see the sheep in the back! No ticket, but what a laugh! I bet he told all the officers that story!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  3:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Lori, That is too funny!!! The cop either told everyone or didn't tell a soul figuring that nobody would believe him!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Well, no new sheep will be added to the herd. She had already sold them to someone in Wisconson. Maybe next year. First pretty day in weeks, so I spent after school today in the sheep pen scratching chins and ears, detangling wool, and sharing carrots. Good time was had by all.

Does anyone here have a one income household? I used to be a stay at home mom, and am wanting to quit teaching and go back home, but cutting our cash flow by half scary. Hubby has a very secure job, so that isn't a worry. I am pondering how much I can cut our food bill if we put in a big garden (I did lots of canning and freezing with mom and granny growing up) and raise our own beef, since we already have cattle. Done all of it before, but with 3 pre-schoolers to "help". Now that they are older they really could help in the garden and I want my daughter to learn how to can food. We finally got out of debt last year except for our house and one vehicle, so one income is looking more and more do-able.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  05:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Lori that is my goal and why I am trying to learn to produce more and more stuff off the farm for ourselves and $$. I am only 12 years from retirement but that is just too long at what I am doing right now at the school, pretty burnt out!!!

I know it can be done so we are downsizing where we can easily first and then will go to the harder things.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile
I have 19 more years. I have a great job, and work with great people, I just know the Lord wants me to be at home. I am thinking of going ahead and putting the garden in. I know it will be a LOT of work while school is still in, but hey, so would going back to college to get a different degree to do something else, like I have considered doing. At least gardening would be teaching my children a valuable skill, as well as benefiting the family. I would also love to add a family milk cow, but I am afraid there just aren't enough hours in the day to milk her and process her goodness. We are planning, starting this month to try and spend as little as possible and see what exactly we can get by on, and sock the rest in savings. If it takes another year until we are confident that it will work, then I am willing to keep going. This is one reason we are trying to build up a fiber herd. I am trying to build an etsy business, as well as get my name out locally as a fiber grower and to have quality livestock to sell, since there are relatively few sheep in Arkansas outside of 4H projects. I am like you - I know it can be done, it is just a matter of getting to the point where it is feasable and we don't get ourselves into financial trouble over foolish choices!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  3:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Just thought I'd share this picture with you all. Looks like Barrick and Roddy have finally made peace. Barrick was picking on Roddy like crazy after Chisolm died.

Was sorry to hear you couldn't get your lambs...hope you find another source.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheri they are so cute. Hopefully they can continue to be buds

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  6:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Lori, Sorry to hear about the sheep! I am sure that you will find something else!

Sheri, What a great picture! I am glad to hear that they are getting along now! What incredible fiber! Can I just stop by and run my hands through it?!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 19 2010 6:08:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  8:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Sure Monica - I'll fire up the tea pot!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  06:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - I am going to catch up on posts but for now just wanting you to know last night at 8:30 pm Mother Goose gave birth to a perfect gentlemen. He is so sweet and doing well. Spent the night in the barn so I have not slept - will be back later. I have to girls dribbling so babies are on the way.

bye for now.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Good News! Going after at least 6 shetlands after lunch! God didn't want me to have the others for a reason because there are more sheep to choose from at the ranch we are going to today!

Grace ~ That is AWESOME about the babies! Get some much needed sleep!

Sheri ~ I agree with Monica about the sheep. They have lovely fiber, and such handsome creatures!

Have a blessed week-end everyone!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so happy to hear you have another baby!! You need to post pics for us when you get a chance!

Lori, I am so happy to hear that you are going to get some Shetlands!!! Isn't it great how sometimes things don't work out because God has something better right around the corner! You will have to post pics for us!!

Sheri, Oh how I wish I could! I would love to come visit!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  11:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Grace and Lori on your new additions!!!. Sally and Basil have been sunning the last couple days. Been really nice so all the sheep lay on the hay on the ground in the sun

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  9:13:17 PM  Show Profile
I just got back into the house and hope to catch a bit to eat. Great news - Maggie delivered a set of twins, very tall ones, one girl and one boy. We have been having bitter cold and snow all day and it is planned to go all night. I promise I will get pictures as soon as the weather allows - my very old floppy dish camera does not like the cold. I got a quick nap of two hours and a shower finally but it is all worth it.

I have been thinking of all you gals and I am excited to hear new sheep will be in your family Lori. The good always shows up just sometimes not the way we planned.

Rae I just bet Basil and Sally sure did enjoy themselves - we would love that sunshine here.

Sheri I love the picture - great fleece and happy campers - give those sheep a hug from me.

Monica, Lilly spent the day having me pet her because her mother is coming close to delivery and she knows she will no longer be first in her mothers life. So, picture me sitting in the very cold barn on a stool with Mishka on one side, Lilly on the other and Cheif my Pry dog on my lap, all 134 pounds of him. All wanting continual petting and loving. Great way to stay warm but my arms and legs are sure tired. Monica (the goat) even wanted some pets!! On a fiber note Lilly's fiber is so so so so soft - it is like butter - I sure did not mind running my fingers thru those locks.

Well, I am going to catch a bit and then back out to the barn - you know a storm brings babies so keep those fingers crossed. Hugs to all!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  9:58:41 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear you had another safe delivery, Grace. My thoughts are with you for another long, cold night. Hope all goes well. Can't wait to see the pics.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Yipee, 2 more babies!! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see pics! Give everyone hugs for me. Oh how I wish I could come and see everyone!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile
The snow has been coming down all night and still going strong. Remember what I said about storms - Rebecca delivered twins - two strong boys. Still not warm enough to get the floppy disk camera to work - I tried heating it under a heat lamp for a bit but no fooling that relic... I promise to get pictures up as soon as the camera will alllow. I put together another kidding pen because there are still more ladies in waiting.

I am going to brush out my hair, pull orders and get a quick 1/2 hour nap before going back out in the snow - hope everyone else is staying warm??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  11:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, Congratulations! I hope you get pics soon! I can't wait to see all of the new babies! Stay warm!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  11:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear of another safe delivery. I hope the weather moderates soon for you. Hope the next delivery goes as well. I'm with Monica - can't wait to see the photos.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  12:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Monica I emailed you to get your mailing address as I copied those candy recipes that you wanted right after Christmas and then promptly forgot about them until I discovered them in a pile in my office this morning. Sometimes my emails from the forum don't always go through. Let me know.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Grace and I sure hope you are all keeping warm. We have had some beautiful weather here, supposed to cool down Tues and Wed and then warm back up again for weekend. The sun is so nice, even the chickens are loving going outside.

Put dogs on leash in with sheep today and they were kissing Sampson. He just stood and sniffed them and Penny tried to clean his ears The others watched them but the dogs didn't really seem to care about anything except the sheep poop, go figure!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a picture of the 6 new girls but can't figure out how to upload it - any suggestions? Tried copy and paste and the link off of flickr, but neither worked. Best I can figure out is to post the link.

They haven't been handled much and don't trust right now, but hopefully that will change. Our sheep pasture is a swamp due to a sudden thunderstorm about lunch today.

[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4376485681_148dc11e90.jpg][/img]

Edited by - lsarah on Feb 21 2010 3:32:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile
I use photobucket. Once the picture is downloaded, click on imgcode and the copy (under the edit bar) Then go to this site, reply to topic, write your message and paste the img code and then just post your reply as usual. Hopefully that helps. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new babies.

Hey Rae - that's all dogs are ever interested in - sheep poop, chicken poop, cow poop - if it grosses us out for them to eat it they WILL....teehee!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Lori - link is fine. Nice photo of your new girls. I am sure they will settle in soon. The easiest way that I've found is feeding them goodies from my hand. It took about a day and they were all following me around. Now, they follow me around like dogs but scatter for anyone else.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page