oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  09:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so glad to hear that you and the girls are safe! I hope you have a great storm fee day getting the shearing done! I have to say that you are an encouragement to me! I don't know how you do it! I did get one more yarn and 2 singles spun last night! I have been one a huge spinning kick lately! I really love my Fricke! The bidding on the vintage wheel ends today at 5:30! So far it's still at $100.00 so I will let you know if I get it!

Sheri, I had a dream last night that I went over to the house and Gary had the walls and ceiling done in the new addition! Maybe that si a sign that we will get the a/c put in soon! Once we get the house done it will seem like I have tons of time to work on other things because I am spending so much time on the house and keeping up with everything else! It will be nice to get back to "normal"

Jami,I will be praying that the job comes through for you!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jun 06 2010 8:58:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  8:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Nice day today, blue skys, in the 80s, it was not bad at all while we were fencing. Sheep moved into their new hilly lot today. Definitely not haying this week. They are predicting storms and heavy rains for us almost everyday this week.
Sheri, how are the new sheep?
Grace, did you get your shearing done? Sons are great aren't they? Hope your weather cooperated.
Jami, praying that the right job comes your way.
It is getting late and we have to get up early to finish fencing the haying ground.
Nite all
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  05:58:11 AM  Show Profile
Jami - I wish you luck applying for the job! Isn't it amazing how when one door closes another one opens?

Grace - so glad you are safe. We live in tornado alley, so I understand your fear. My parents house has been struck by lightning twice, caught fire from it once, and we have several trees around our farm with that "unique" lightning spilt. I always know it is going to be a big storm just from watching the dogs' behavior. One of our cattle dogs is a wonderful weather monitor.

Our weekend trip was wonderful! Started out Friday morning with a pro shearer coming to do the new cotswold crosses. (I washed some of the fleece last night - it is silky soft and shiny. I love it!) We left about 11:00 Friday morning, hubby still wouldn't tell me where we were going. I am directionally challenged, so I was out of luck. We stopped at antique stores along the way to look. It was really exciting! I finally figured it out when we were about 10 miles away from the destination. He took me back to the state park lodge where we honeymooned almost 16 years ago! Sure doesn't seem like that long ago. It was nice to get away, but I sure missed the kids and the farm. My dog, Lily gave the kids fits, she couldn't find mama and wouldn't go to bed at night. Jessica finally wound up sleeping in our room with her and giving her one of my work shirts to sleep with!

Well, off to get busy for the day. I need to make some batts (I keep selling the ones in the etsy store!) and get some wool dyed. Lots of fleeces to wash, not to mention the regular laundry to do. Stan got our clothes line up last week, so at least I can quit using electricity to dry clothes - just in time for air conditioning to run the bill up. It has been 95 or above since early last week, supposed to be around 100 a good part of this week. Oldest two have the first day of band camp, one teaching and one learning, so it is just me and the 9 year old during the day this week. He is a little clown, so we will have lots of fun!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  07:06:53 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday everyone!!! Actually nice today. We have one of the rainy weeks coming as well so going like crazy washing and hanging out stuff. Scrubbed bathroom floor and hung those rugs out. The bathroom is what I will be attacking today. Then wander around and do a little this and that. Decided one room or should I say area at a time here. So much to do in and out but at least I will have some energy to do so, I hope.

Glad all are safe with their storms. Take care everyone!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi all you beautiful farmgirls! I am brand spanking new at this but I am so excited to find your forum. For the past few years I have had these ridiculous yearnings to be a farmgirl. Ridiculous! Or so I thought. Then I found my very first MaryJanes Farm magazine last month and flipped! There are other suburbanite professional women like me out there who are true farmgirls at heart! Well, now, I am a REAL true farmgirl. Last week, I was presented with this beautiful opportunity to join this tiny little dairy goat co-op at a small community farm just a few miles from home and work. I am trading two acupuncture sessions (which is what I do for a living) for my very own, five month old, sweet little Nigerian Dwarf goat. I named her Motholeli after the little girl in the Alexander McCall Smith books, Number One Ladies Detective novels set in Botswana, which is not so very far from Nigeria. She is black and white with gorgeous blue eyes, and in only one week, I imagine that she has learned to recognize me! So much to learn about goats in general, and reading lots about the eventual kidding and milking, etc. In a world of too much virtual this and automatic that, I sit in the shade watching these lovely creatures, and it brings me back to my real, true self.
Blessings,
Deborah

Edited by - Motholelis Mom on Jun 07 2010 12:51:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  2:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, Welcome to farmgirl! So glad to have you here with us! I could not agree with you more that there is too much automatic this and that!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Deborah just reading what you wrote reminded me of the excitement of our farm. Hard work but that sense and feeling, thank you!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  04:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Deborah! Watch out, though. Sheep and goats are like potato chips - hard to stop at one!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  05:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Deborah - I am so excited for you and your new pal - Lori is right they are addictive.

Well Ladies Conrad (my youngest son) and I finished the shearing, toe nail cutting ( amazed how much they grow fron trimming to trimming) and some odd ball work at the farm Monday. I think he forgot how much work it is but I could not have gotten it all done without him... There still is a couple of the huge billies that will require both of my sons to hold while I shear. They are just like people someday's they just do not wish to go with the flow. I will have many weeks of picking, washing, and grading fleeces but I know that Monica will be itching for me to get things done.

I am so excited I had another interview published about me in the Small Town Living publication. I will have to look up the web address but many of the farmgirls here know of it.. They have also asked me to write monthly articles on goats and sheep - How exciting and I am truely honored..

Conrad also picked the winner for my yarn giveaway - Cindy Jean Gonyr and I am going to be sending off her goodies very soon. So I think I will have another giveaway - something to do with stamping since it is one of my joys and requires no fiber art skill... I know that not everyone spins, knits, crochets, weaves or felts - not sure why but I do understand it..

Sounds like everyone is getting into the swing of Summer chores and house cleaning.. I really wished we lived a bit closer so we after a hards days work we might sit on the deck, share a cold drink and talk over our dreams and plans - put this is next best..

Have a wonderful day ladies.. I am resting my hands and back today.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  07:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Grace I just read the article!!! It was wonderful and I really needed to hear your words today, you inspire me

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Fleece are like chips too!

Grace, Glad to hear that you had a good day getting things done with Conrad! Take you time of the fleece because I still need to save up and I need to save up for all of that lovely roving you have on etsy if someone else doesn't get it first! Congrats on the interview and articles in Small Town Living! I can't understand why someone would not want to do fiber arts! I may have actually found another spinner near me! By chance I found a girl on etsy who lives in the next town over! I contacted her so hopefully she will get back to me and we can get together!

Hope everyone has a great day! I am off to get some laundry done!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  3:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the warm farmgirl welcome. I can absolutely see how the goats are like potato chips: just can't get enough of them. The friend who owns the farm where my little goat lives answered an ad in Craig's list. The ad was for parakeet sitting for 6 months while the owner is in Europe. My friend really liked the idea of having the little bird on the farm for a while. When they brought the bird over, it was discovered that its owners are going to Switzerland to a goat cheese making school! They don't have goats and we don't know how to make cheese, and we all have agreed that this is something quite magical and full of good graces. A week ago I didn't even know I would be a part of all of this. Just resting in gratitude for all the splendid things that happen when you just show up!
Blessings to all,
Deborah

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Rae for those kind words - You ladies are my inspiration more times then I could count.

Deborah - I must be slowing down I just saw that you are a Colorado Gal - how wonderful to have another here.... The Goat and Chesse Classes sound interesting and I wished I was there. That couple will have a great time and such a incredible country to visit and learn in.

Monica I thought I would give you a heads up there is a lady looking for cards or combs on the Stitching Forum - thought you might wish to talk with her...

It is cool this morning - I love it - with a drizzle going on which I love and need but it means no painting outside windows... The male kids are settling in to be separate from their mom's. Figured while I had Conrad here we would pull the boys and place them in the pasture next to their Mom's and they have a divider in the barn so they can not nurse but they still can be close for sleeping times. What a racket they make but this morning everyone when out to eat and no crying... Cheif the Pry who guards them is happy about that - I think he was getting to the end of his patience with all the crying.

Well off to the dye pots and carder I go - you all have a perfect day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Thank you for the heads up! I will check it out! I have to confess that I don't leave this page very often!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  12:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Whew! It's hot! Just hanging clothes on the line left me feeling like I needed another shower! Good thing is that the clothes dry in this heat faster than they would in the dryer!

Spent yesterday carding. Oldest two kids are at band camp during the day, and it took about 2 hours for the 9 year old to decide he doesn't like being an only child. So....he has helped me pick out colors, take pictures, worked the calculator and turned the handle on the carder. The little fella is just like me - he can't stand not to have something to do. I made some really cool batts that looked like melon slices. Sold the one that looked like a watermelon in about 3 hours, so I think I will make more.

Spent this morning and after lunch washing fleeces and dyeing fiber. I started with the cotswold crosses - their fleeces do not hold together like all of my others. I suppose I will pick out the prettiest curls to dye or package up, then card the rest. Avery said it looks like a jumble of worms. Washed about half of one of the shetland/BL cross - it is a beautiful silver and chocolate. The fleece was HUGE. Naomi is my favorite lamb, so I will probably keep a good portion of it for myself.

Still working on learning all the info to get my CDL. I was joking with my husband (he is the transportation supervisor) that there isn't any reason I need to know all the parts of the bus since I am not going to rebuild one on the side of the road if it breaks down. He just didn't see the humor in that. He woke up this morning with a bum hip and stayed home half a day from work, so he was kinda grumpy. To tell you how bad it must have hurt, he had the flu a couple of years ago and was running a 102 fever, and still went to work most of the day. Last time he actually took a sick day was when he had minor outpatient surgery 3 years ago. Wish I was as healthy as he is.

One of our nanny goats is limping badly. We have checked her foot out, trimmed it, then treated it a couple of times, can't find anything wrong with it. I am beginning to wonder if it is her leg instead of her foot. Maybe she got stepped on. Suppose we will wrestle her tonight again. ("we" being "I" since hubby is hurting!)

Looking forward to the cool evening. Grace, I know what you mean, it would be nice to sit around and chat on the porch after days like today with you gals.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile
I will write more later but was wondering if anyone is going to this event this week end.

http://iowasheep.com/festival.php

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Sarita,Oh, I wish!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  05:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Lori but I will be doing something fun like painting window sills...

How is your nanny doing? Was keeping her my my prayers and thoughts. I am sure everyone is wishing her well. Hope your husband also is on the mend.
Sounds like you had a very busy fiber day too...

I dyed some Alpaca, picked a bunch of wool open to start on the huge carding machine and tried to get my head centered. It seems like everyone around me is having hard times and it begins to wear on you - so today I will watch some Miss Marple while I work away the blues... At least that is the plan.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  08:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy Friday girls. Welcome Deborah! I have to agree, spoil your girl now because soon she will have many "brothers and sisters" to fend off to get your attention.

Thanks for the job hunting wishes, gals. The part-time was a no-go...they had already interviewed and hired although the listing was left on the website and accepted my application! I finally inquired about the status directly to the department chair. I'm sorry but I don't want that job anyhow if you can't be more efficient than that! Waste of my time. I will forge on. In the meantime, I am selling lambs for which I am very grateful and surprised both. Last year was lackluster in the breeding stock sales. This year has been robust and I'm even selling a bunch of feeder lambs for those wanting to raise their own. I get more than what the commercial buyer pays for them, and less hassle.

It's very noisy around here...we weaned last night. The noise is deafening if the windows are open so I'm thankful it's cool today to keep them shut. Sheep are out behind the house in pastures with the ewes dry-lotted for a few days and the lambs across the fence for comfort measures. They lay next to their mothers but still will cry for a couple of days straight. Had our annual flock inspection for our scrapie-free certification yesterday. Good for another year.

Another positive, we have been accepted to sell at the Farmers Market beginning June 19th. Now I must get busy making more stuff. My mind is racing so I hope I can indeed accomplish something. Sometimes I freeze myself just going too many directions and nothing of value gets done.

Monica, great news on the house progress! Floors are good.

Sarita, I'm glad you're enjoying the vacation time. How can you wash so many fleeces in one day? Got flowers popping up in odd places? Lori - you got a lot accomplished too!

Interesting how many of you work at schools, isn't it? Glad it's down-time! The only thing I don't like about school being out is the increased traffic in town. Guess lots of parents must be off with their kids too?

Grace, I'll have to go read the articles. How fun to see our Grace in print (besides here...that's the only way I know you is in print!)

We start cutting hay this weekend. I am hoping it remains dry until we bale of course. I just want it all, right? Sheri, did you get the garden in yet? We've had rain this past week as I'm sure you have too. I haven't had to water the garden though!

Okay, that's enough of me for a while. Happy trails girls.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Happy Friday ladies! Hoping to go up to Estes Park, CO for the annual wool market. Are you going to be there seeling your things, Grace? I will look for you! I love hanging out with the livestock, especially the goats. And of course there is always something special to add to my knitting stash! I wonder how a little cashmere goat would get along with these Nigerian Dwarves.
I have happy little goat bruises all over my legs! Is there any way to teach them manners? especially the little wether. He is so bossy and confident, but the most affectionate too. Slowly socializing my little goat, Motholeli. She let me scratch her neck and back for the longest time this morning. She and the littlest goat had traumatic vaccinations the day before we brought them home, so they are a little slow in trusting us. But they really liked the spinach I brought for them today and of course are CRAZY for the oats! Being with the goats is such a happy place to be.
Blessings to all!
Deborah

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Happy Friday All!

Deborah to answer your question - I sold for many years up at Estes Park and showed animals too - I no longer do that but I know you will have a great time.. I always did but it sure was a ton of work and I just can not get someone to watch the farm for that long...

As for teaching manners - is the bruises because of feet or head. The feet we train just like a dog - you get thumped in the chest with a knee - they learn. If it is head butting then you must be quick on your feet and step aside before contact - then they learn you are not into that game - also never push their heads because you are starting the fight. Even pushing on my leg is not exceptable. It takes time for them to understand but as with any training consistancy is the key.

Jami I so understanding the crying issue - I turned up the TV to drown them out last night. Only a couple are still crying but Ozzie is almost horse because of his continually calling... Silly Billies.

I also understand that deer in the headlight feeling when your mind is racing, tons of ideas and running thru and you don't have a clue where to start. What's that saying - "You feel like a one legged man in a ass kicking contest" - I get that way more times then I care to count. Breathe and just know you are going to do great things - I believe in you.

I am up to my eyeballes in cat balls - Boy, that sounds weird. Last night while I was too pooped to move I sat and covered cat/bell toys with wonderful Merino and then felted them into cat toys. I make hundreds of cat toys for the retail store in town. Some with bells, others with catnip, others with strings and things. Just another mindless work I do when the body is not wishing to move. I also donate a ton to local shelters and rescue organizations. As they are hanging out to dry - you can hear the tinkling in the wind - great windchime..

Well, lunch break over and I am heading back to the carding machine. Have a great rest of the day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile
My nanny goat is on the mend. We have been treating her foot every night - she apparently had some fungus going on in her hoof. It's always something.

I washed most of a fleece belonging to one of my shetland/BL crosses. I have a question. It was pretty full of VM (she spent her first 6 months on another farm), so mom suggested I seperate it into locks, then hold the tips and comb out the cut ends to get rid of most of the VM. It ranges from 4-8 inches long. I have spent most of the afternoon combing. Problem is, not only is my holding hand VERY tired, there is a ton of fleece "combing out" and it is taking forever. I can't sell this and it be worth the time I have put into it. I now have hours invested since I first started washing it to this point, and only have about 3 ounces done. Has anybody ever seen combed locks being sold? I have looked all over etsy and can't find any. I am finding carded wool, but no combed. I am thinking it would have to sell for somewhere between $7-$8 an ounce to be worth my time, and I can't see anyone paying that for it. Any opinions?

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Jun 11 2010 2:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
What a very bumpy ride - got hit with a horrible hail storm, tornadoe in the next county and me in the basement again doing the duck and cover.. We are to be under the gun this weekend so nerves are rattled. Sky light got hit and broken, plants shredded and my decks are going to have to be redone again. Animals were very scared but have quited down. Never a dull moment. I watched on the news all the folks underwater around the country and my heart just breaks.. But I am here standing and moving foreword.

Lori, we all have been in that boat - here are a couple of things I do, if the locks have great structure then I sell them to those who do doll hair, neuo felting and also jewelry makers. I get that price and then some if I also so some creative dyeing, blending or finished project. You just have to really think outside the box. Also I look at that work time is when I would be on down time so I don't look at the price the same way. Maybe if you place a picture of the locks on you blog I can see what you are working on and might be able to give more specific suggestions. Trust me, some of us look at that time as therapy but I understand still we need to make a profit.

Have a safe Saturday everyone.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, I have some great news! The bathroom and utility room at the house are completely done! We do have to get a hot water tank, but other than that it's all done! Gary put the floor in yesterday and finished the trim this morning! Yippee! Now all i have to do is find someone to do the a/c and things can get moving forward quickly in the rest of the house!

Lori, Don't give up even if you don't see it on etsy! As Grace said "think outside the box"! I have seen washed Lincoln locks that looked just the same as the ones I had, selling for $10.00 an ounce and they were selling. So there are all kinds of price ranges especially if they are really nice locks!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  10:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica - I am doing the happy dance for you

How exciting - I had a feeling you where working your little rear end off... Congrat's and soon you will be able to have a bubble bath.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page