Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  11:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I'm freezing my 4th of July buns off here. Hubby is out in 45 mph winds baling and picking up hay. I am making potato salad and going to brave a trek out to the garden to pick for a green salad tonight.

Farmers market sales were OK...about the same as last time. But, I have to say that our LYS is closing and she started her "fire sale" yesterday with doors opening at 11. Half of the state of knitters were waiting outside the door to buy her out and many of them stopped by our booth and we all got to visiting about doing some farm knit-ins, spin-ins, roving dyeing workshops, etc. I think if I can figure out how to put a blasted (can you tell I've been trying and having no luck so far???) newsletter sign up on our web page, I might get a mailing list put together to see what might come of this. Any of your girls techy enough to help me with this? New territory. I am out of business cards...handed out a ton yesterday and sold a sock kit and roving and "Purl". I've been knitting up a sheep doll that is knitting a little swatch for our mascot for the market. I had not intended to sell them. Just a decoration. I've sold both of the ones I've made both times. Everyone likes them...I guess I will make a new one for each market and consider a good luck charm if I sell "her" each week. (We name them each time. First one was Ewenice, this one was Purl...)

Thanks for asking Sheri. That's the scoop. Got a sweatshirt on today, on the 4th of July. Once nice thing...the campers are not driving nonstop past our house up to the hills due to the cool temps.

Did I tell you we had the ring of freedom here on the farm today? Woke up to lambs on the front porch. Somehow the gate was unlatched and the wind blew it open. Nothing like herding sheep in your pajamas.

Enjoy your celebrations.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile
Happy Fourth of July to all. It just stopped raining here. We could use it after a week of drying weather. Got the hay all baled up! Ya. Nice feeling. But still got to get bales moved. Been under the weather since Thursday. Got bite by a brown recluse spider, sometime the first part of the week. If it was at home, or in the hay field, who knows. But it is turning into a nasty thing. Was pretty sick yesterday, but 100 perscent better today. Waiting for the dr to decide what he will do, surgery, antibiotics?? I did finish all my baling before going in to the doctor though! :)
Gosh Sarita, I was expecting spinning wheels, but wow what a fancy car! Enjoy your new ride!
Our grandson stopped in today too. He is 8 months old now. They sure are fun to have around! All the fun, none of the responsibility! :)
enjoy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I drove it home, put it in the garage and that's it. We may go road triping on Tuesday if I am up to it. I know I have lost it.
We didn't get our hay done, its been spitting rain off and on late yesterday and today.
I was going to list some wool today but after the company yesterday and staying up till midnight, I am going to rest today. We didn't even make it to church this morning. We did pick the plums and I am going to can them later today. We also plan to go back on the place and look for a brown ash to cut to weave baskets later this afternoon. (That is lots of work and I love to make baskets but I may put Danny off for a day or to.)
Jami, How did it go? I sure hope sales were great.
Grace, have you got home and settled in and caught up yet?
Lori, how are the new sheep? What part of Missouri are you getting your sheep? I am about 60 miles from the Iowa border. We are about 5 1/2 hrs from Springfield.
Nap time girls, will read about what is going on with everyone in the morning. Have a great day!
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  1:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Sarita your car is "way cool" Rained buckets for a little this morning, got nice, now clouding up and really muggy Do not think we will go anywhere. Hubby is out hauling away some trees we cut down about 2 months ago, his only day off this week.

Just not feeling 100% today, one of those days, can't describe it but just not quite right. Broke down and bought a portable air conditioner yesterday. Being we are open and one room only hoping it will do the trick. It also has dehumidifier and that really has made a difference in here. It does feel better than yesterday.

HAPPY 4th and God Bless America, her soldiers and their families!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping that all of you are having a wonderful, nice quiet 4th of July!

Rae, I will be praying that you feel better!

Jami, I hope you get lots of sales from passing out all of your cards!

Michele, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better!

God Bless Our Troops and their families!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  11:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh, girls, I am excited for all the new "wheels" everyone is getting! Monica, aren't mothers wonderful? Mine is trying to find me an antique or antique style wheel for my birthday. Sarita, what a fun car to drive~I am green with envy, my choices nowadays are a suburban or a school bus! :)

Jami, so glad you are getting your name out in the farmer's market. It is the darndest things that sell sometimes, huh.

Sarita, we were in Alton, MO, which is FOREVER from here when you are driving there and back all in one day. It is towards the east side of Missouri just up from the Arkansas border. We did get home with our new sheep and laid eyes on the other three BL sheep that will probably come live with us this fall. Our other ram is a black cotswold named Bandit, sooooo this one is a smokey colored BL, can you guess our combo? Yep, corny as it is, we now have Smokey and the Bandit. The third ram we are getting is a white BL, so he will be Snowman, Jerry Reed's CB name from the same movie. What dorks we are. We also got the fourth BL/Shetland ewe that we should have bought when we got the first three. She is very black. Trying to decide whether or not to coat her and Bandit to keep their tips from turning brown - it just gets so hot here. I hate to add another layer to them. Been reading about you ladies wearing sweatshirts on July 4th....we were out at 10:00 last night and it was still so hot we were all sweating just sitting in chairs watching fireworks. It is better today, only about 90 degrees. I am dreading the electric bill, it has never been so hot so early in June. We have already had a dozen or so days of 100 degree heat.

Our washing machine decided to go on the fritz last night. I don't know whether or not to be happy that I have a legitimate excuse not to do laundry or if I am aggravated that it is piling up. Stan thinks he can fix it with the right part, it is the safety mechanism that keeps it from spinning when the lid is open, so he should be able to. The switch broke and it won't spin at all.

Michele - A brown recluse?!?!?! Watch it girl - nothing to mess with. Seen a couple of those before, take care of yourself

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  11:55:38 AM  Show Profile
I am going to go look at sheep tonight, the guy I talked about who would maybe trade with me, or maybe I'll buy or who knows I just know I am looking at sheep

About 85 here right now which is pretty warm already. This week supposed to cool down to upper 70 low 80 but at night in 50's which is nice!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Lori, Mom's are great! I was just going to get 3 of them first and get the rest later and she said I should get them while I can! Tell you mom to look on craigslist.

Rae, Have fun looking at sheep!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 05 2010 12:40:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - we made it thru the 4th weekend - not without it's bumps, hail, funnel clouds, down pours and leaking logs but at least there was no firewords.... Sounds like you all have been busy.

Congrat's on the new sheep. How exciting.
I hate spiders - please be very careful - they can really do some damage.
Congrat's on the Farmers Market - I have a couple of sheep patterns if you are looking for new items - no pressure but just in case your looking.
Monica I had visions of you watching car racing - was that happening? Did you go on the boat adventure or did you manage to find a way to stay home??

Well, still working hard but it does not seem to show for it - lots of tiny projects done but still so many to go and now with new hail damage the list grows longer. I was lucky that no animals where hurt and that is the main thing - right?

Better try and get back to caulking the logs - have a great night ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  6:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I did watch the Nascar race, but it was no fun because my driver was in a big wreck! He was okay, but I don't think he finished the race! I did get out of the boat ride, but it was because I hurt my back some yesterday and was not up to sitting on a boat for 1 1/2 hours! I have decided to stand up for myself and to stop being so mousy around people especially when my motives are questioned! I am glad that you and the kids made it through the 4th safely!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 05 2010 6:14:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  6:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh sweetie take care of yourself and please do not hurt yourself because of others. I too have kept things in and ended up only hurting myself. I send you healing prayers and light.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, You are a dear and I am so glad to have you as my friend! I am taking it easy this evening and carding some Shetland that I got from Sarita for lace weight 2-ply yarn to make a lace shawl!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Sitting here recovering from that darn spider bite. Ended up having outpatient surgery Monday morning, to debride the wound. Watch out for those spiders! I had never heard of them before. The wound got about 2 inches long, and ugly. Go back in tomorrow for dressing change, and Friday see the doctor.

Lori= My husband goes to repairclinic.com. I think that is where you can type in what your machine is doing, or not, and find out what to do. I think he gets parts from applianceparts.com (sp) You can fix alot of problems on wash machines, and frigs.

take care Michele

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  06:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh Michele, I am sending healing prayers and light - those spiders are just wicked. When I moved in here I spent a year trying to rid the house and small barn of them. Scared the witts out of my because I had two young boys who loved bugs - took some time to get them educated about when not to do. Had a black widow the other day - smashed it so hard that there was nothing left of it. Here is a funny story - first year here thought I would break the ice at the Holloween Party - most folks know I was a widow and they all thought I was looking for a husband - any husband. So I made a costume that I was a Black Widow Sprider. Extra arms, webs in hair, tiny spinders hanging all about. It was a masterpiece if I do say so. My boys were so excited. However, maybe I should have thought it thru more - No sense of humors out here. I was a scandall for about four years - no one took the costume the way I meant it... As I overheard one lady say to a group "What do you expect from someone who names their farm - Larkspur Funny Farm"? That's right I am the weird one..

So what out ladies there are spiders all about...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  08:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Grace, you cracked me up with the black widow costume story. You're a hoot.

Michele, man, sorry to hear about that spider bite. I have had several friends bitten by brown recluses and it's always been a fear of mine. I am saying a prayer for you right now that you feel like a million soon.

Well, it sounds like Rae and Lori are doing the sheep shuffle. I love going to look at new sheep and hauling home new ones too! Enjoy the road trips long or short. I also enjoy making new human "sheep friends". It's like a club or something.

Monica, I believe life is like baking cookies (do you hear Forrest Gump in the background?) Overbaked they are hard and without flavor and dark. Underbaked they fall apart, are pale and mushy soft. Baked just right they have a nice "bite", are flavorful and a treat. That reminds me...I have a half pack of chocolate chips up there in the cupboard that needs to get used up...

Sarita, I can see why you need some rest. You go nonstop, canning, washing, fencing, driving....make some time to drive that cool car, girl!

And...I can't see my neighbors house anymore as the growing stack of hay is blocking the view. Now I'm happy until late winter when the stack will dwindle down again. Nothing against my neighbors...it's just nice to have some privacy.

Happy trails and oh, I figured out the newsletter thingy for our website. I'll have it on there soon. Thanks for all of the well wishes. Grace, thanks for the offer of the sheep patterns. Are they knitted?

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Michele - a brown recluse bite is so serious!! I hope you are recovering ok. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for sure. I had an employee get bitten by one years ago when pulling out old cabinets and it was quite the ordeal.

Congrats on all the sheep shopping - hope you all found what you were looking for. I love my two new ones but am still trying to convince them that I am not the wicked witch of the west!!

I love the story of the spider costume - after being the only widow in my age group I can sincerely relate to that. Talk about no sense of humor!! Glad to hear you survived the storms with minimal damage and no injuries. How much chinking do you have to do and what are you chinking with? I live in a log house too and when we had a tornado about 10 yrs ago (they are VERY rare here) it rained inside the house through the log walls. I lost 5 acres of timber in that storm. I never want to go through another one. Stay safe, Grace.

Glad to hear you are looking out for yourself, Monica. Just remember, "No" is a complete sentence. I relate as I am pretty good about saying yes without thinking.

Hope you are feeling better too, Sarita.

Today is supposed to finally be warm (80's) with little wind so it's skirting and washing wool for me. It's about time. Supposed to be in the 90's by Friday, what a shocker that will be after low 60's yesterday. Guess we can finally retire those sweats Jami!

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I am praying that you recover quickly from your bite! I got bit by something yesterday and the back half of my hand is still swollen and itchy! Not sure what it was though!

Grace, You neighbors at the party need to get a sense of humor!

Sheri, I will remember that!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the well wishes. I am not the type to just lay around, so got lots of wash done, and mowed the lawn. Going in tomorrow for a dressing change, and see what it looks like now. I am feeling good, but know when it is time for a rest. Monica I hope your bite is nothing serious!
Seeing how it was time for a rest.......ha ha......I just ordered 3 country classics dyes!! My aunt is coming for a visit, and hopeing to get her to teach me about dyeing!! I do remember all you girls have said too!
Grace I love the spider costume story!
Husband had been moving round bales today, should be getting about done.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Michele, hope your sore heals soon, did the doctor get a culture on the tissue or fluids that they got from your bite? A staph infection, MRSA, can sometimes appear to be a brown recluse bite. I have seen several cases in the last 3-4 years. The area gets red and swollen, very angry looking and a brown spot appears in the center. Many times the doctors lance and do a debriding and start the patient on a very heavy run of antibiotics, some even run IV's. With the spider bite you see the tissue keeps dying and a big hole often appears. One home health patient had one on his upper leg and we had to give him shots around the site and keep debriding and redressing every other day for about 2 weeks. Did the doctor put you on antibiotics? I don't want to scare you but watch it closely and let the doctor know about any changes. I will be praying for you. Both can be very serious.
So many of you are getting new sheep, getting new sheep is fun. Enjoy! Sheri, your new sheep will warm up to you soon. Sounds like you and Jami are warming up too!
Grace, I thought your black widow story was funny. Its not you that has the problem, it sounds like your neighbors are sticks in the mud! Sounds like you are back to business after your venture off the place.
We picked plums and I made 2 batches of plum jam...which we really like and canned about 6 pints of plums in syrup. I also made a new batch of plum/peach coridal. I use the juice of plums, chopped dry apricots, sugar, and a quart jar plum jelly left over from last year, cook and strain that and when that juice cools I pour it into a gallon glass jar (about 2/3 gal) and add a large bottle of Peach schnupps. UMMMMHH it is so good. You don't really taste the alcohol, just a faint taste of the peach and mainly plum. Now what does this have to do with sheep...well, after drinking a small glass on a cold night when you get done choring, it warms your insides, I will let it set in the glass jar with a lid on it for a few weeks and then I will strain it again and pour it into some beautiful old glass bottles with stoppers to store. (My mother has always loved going to auctions and buying old antique bottles and dishes and it has been a win win situation for me and I agree, Mom's are great!) On holidays my cordial set comes out with the tiny cordial cut-glass glasses and everyone gets a little glass of cordial after the meal. It is so sweet that you think you just had a glass of desert.
Lori, sounds like your flock will be increasing in numbers.
Jami, I am like you, I love to have the hay stacked up and the feed bunk full of full feed sacks. I guess I feel good when the cubboards are full and the barn is running over. Security!
Monica, hope you are OK. Any news on the house? I am glad that you like the shetland fiber.
I had an old customer that didn't come around last year showed up wanting wool yesterday afternoon. She took three fleeces. She is in her 80's and still spinning and knitting. So full of good information. She likes it that I have the fleeces washed for her...she is a jewel!
Jami and Sheri, we are suppose to get some of your cool weather but it won't be as cool as you had it. We got 2 1/2 in rain yesterday and another 1/4 in. this morning. The temps are in the 80s but you feel like you are in a sauna.
We did a road trip today, went over to Trenton, went to the company store to stock up, then down to Chillicothe to Lowe's so I could buy their really heavy duty clothes pins to use when I basket weave...(we cut down a couple small ash trees yesterday and started stripping them to get weavers to make baskets), then we came back over to Brookfield and on home. The new car is a dream to drive and we put in my Susan Boyles cd and just relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. We did about 110 miles today and killed most of the day but really had fun.
I have to get my clothes changed and my barn clothes on. I see Lilly and her twins have went through the electric fence onto the hay ground...I don't know what I am going to do with them!
Happy dyeing Michele!
Have a good day everyone
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:48:32 PM  Show Profile
It's late so I'll keep this short. Sarita, I've never had more 'pain in the brain' sheep than bottle lambs. They are never sheep. They are humans in sheep clothing and believe they are privileged to act accordingly.

Lori, I got to thinking about your embarrassment over the naming of your sheep. We've had rams named after the 3 Stooges, lots of animals named after The Simpsons (my hubby loved that show for years). In fact, my Minnesota ewes are nicknamed Selma and Patty and our dogs Bart and Lisa although Lisa passed a year or so ago and Bart is on his last legs. Not sure what show we'll grab names from after that but I just HAVE to name something Forrest after Forrest Gump as he was a diamond in the rough and I've had plenty of sheep like that. Just waiting for the right one I guess. So I for one love your naming process and that's just part of the fun.

Sarita, again...VROOM, VROOM. Happy that you had a great day and enjoyed the new ride. Selling 3 fleeces in one day? Woo hoo. I want some hooch, uh I mean cordial.

Manana girls. I'm up working on my website in the quiet and it's really time to say goodnight. My weed pulling today was a good workout. Would be nice if the plants were thriving as well as the weeds. But the garden is finally coming on nicely.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  05:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Grace you are too funny

Michele do take care of yourself!!!

I am trading!! He has a ewe about the same age as Nellie. I feel bad for Nellie having to leave but have to start looking at the gang as a farm a little more than pet factory for Rae

Oh Jami I bet the Minnesota sheep are so nice (That is what everyone calls us MN Nice) Really Michele they do!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  06:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I did it! I turned in my resignation yesterday! I take the driving part of the CDL test today. Whew!

The new ewe is doing well. The ram, not so good. He had a sore on his face when we got him, the lady guaranteed him. Turns out he had a thorn. Stan drained it and doctored it, I'll spare the details, you that have sheep have more than likely been there before! He also has a tummy ache. Been in a dirt lot because she was in a dispute with her neighbors over a fence line on their pasture and couldn't put the sheep out there safely. So now that he is on good grass, we are having to doctor his tummy and wash his hinney. Oh the joys of farming! I got pics of them on my blog yesterday.

My youngest got bit by a black widow when he was 2. He went to yelling and Stan shucked his jeans off and saw what was biting him. Off the the emergency room since he was so small, and after a VERY expensive dose of what amounted to benadryll and a 4 hour wait to see if he was going to have a reaction we went home. He went around in his 2 year old voice telling everyone a widow bit him. Lots of the ladies a church got a chuckle out of that one!

Got about 5 ounces of the cotswold totally washed yesterday. It is finally white. I suppose it was either dirtier than I thought or I wasn't using enough soap. I really like it.

Well, off to test! You ladies have a wonderful day!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  06:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Ok I am sure this is posted but Rae is rather lazy at the moment. Those of you that are organic or going, do you vaccinate your sheep? If so what do you give and when. What about worming? Time for lazy Rae to get busy here

thanks

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Yep Lori, you have to watch out for us widow's - we have a mean bit... I have been known to pinch too!!!

Rae, there are many herbal wormers that are effective along with good management practices of keeping barns, pastures and feeding equipment clean. Not traveling with the animals to shows, events and festivals are a must if you do not wish to have to vaccinate. Also selecting the strongest, healthest and greatest bloodlines will also keep the farm healthy. I have not vaccinated for close to 10 years now and never lost one to anything other then old age or acts of God like being struck by lightening... However, moving to organic is not overnight. What does you present animals have in the way of vaccination?? That will tell us where you can start. Also, what is around you? Animals, illness and feed. Going organic sounds like it would be easier then all those shots but it takes a bit of work in the beginning and then get's easier. I will gladly give you recipes, information and sites. No worries about being lazy there is a ton out there to learn and such little time.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:56:39 AM  Show Profile
I have not vaccinated anyone since they have been here. This is all new to farming where we are because it was woods for years. I do not plan to show any of my sheep or take them anywhere so that will be a help I think. My gang all appear to be quite healthy. I will have to check on what they have had in the past when I get my new ewe. She is coming from the same place as Sampson and Sally came so he will know what they had as well as checking with my son regarding Billy and Nellie.

Yes anything you can share I appreciate. I know it will take time and a lot of work but this is what we want to do. We plan to get cattle within a year and want to work on the same way with them.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page