Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  04:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Angie really a nice picture, and now I am jealous of that! No red tomatoes here yet. Lots of green so hoping
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  07:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Those are two sweet tomatoes! She is adorable and the one in her hand is not bad either.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace, are you in the area that received the deep hail?
Nice tomato and nice mil...makes me smile. Have you started weaving yet?
No haying today, clouds hanging over us with chances for rain, maybe tomorrow.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:28:16 AM  Show Profile
No that was more towards the mountains but thanks for asking. I have two friends who have horrible damage.. Mother Nature can be very nasty sometimes. One is a Llama ranch who are still trying to dig out. The other is a ranch with a vareity of animals - a few got injuried and I am still awaiting news... We are to be in for a couple of days of storms here so I am putting things up just in case... Hope you are safe.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Grace, so glad you avoided any injury to your place, yourself, and your animals.
They are calling for us to get rain today...I hear the thunder now and the sky is getting dark. I guess this means the guy won't get here today to cut the hay!
Sarita, are you getting rain down there? I saw your comment on my blog. Glad you liked it!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  10:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Maybe the rain that is headed our way will stop at Brenda's and die out...sorry Brenda, not trying to be nasty but we just got 2 inches and then another shower or two.
Going to the beauty shop for some needed beautification, hope I can get there and back before the rains hit us.

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  9:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello all. Another hot day. Finally finished my lavender harvest and wove 6 more wands. I will be glad to take a break from it finally as my nose is going crazy from scent overload. Supposed to rain for the next 2 days - hopefully a healing mother rain and not an angry father rain with lightening. Hope everyone has survived the storms without any damage.

Great picture, Angie. I wish I could get tomatoes that large here. We are lucky to get the smaller varieties to mature. Around here, whether or not you can produce a ripe tomato is the measure of how well you can garden. It's definately an iffy proposition some years.

Once this weather passes hopefully I can get back to picking and washing and finally have the last fleece finished. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is well today.

I've been busy warping that loom. I have it now threaded through the reed, but the apron bars that came with it are rather short and I'm not sure how to go about tying it to the apron beam without a canvas apron. One apron bar is only a few inches from being as wide as my warp. Not sure if I can go ahead and use it without worrying about it messing up my tension on the ends. I've only warped one other loom and that was Mom's, but it had a canvas apron. So today, the chore is to research how to do this. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to call Mom in the meantime and pick her brain.

Sheri, anyway you could post some pics of your lavender wands? I'd love to see how you do this. Also, you must have a very short growing season. The tomatoes I grew are heirloom "mortgage lifter" tomatoes and are able to produce tomatoes up to 3 lbs. It's a very easy variety. I simply added epsom salts around the plant during the bloom time. These have been grown in a 2 foot tall raised bed half filled with drainage material (junk from the garage I was going to send to the dump,including an old toilet mashed to pieces LOL, cardboard, packaging material, and some old planting pots) with the remaining half filled with 1/2 garden soil and 1/2 peat moss. They seem to love it. It didn't take long at all for the plants to really take off and the blooms set rather quickly. I had large ripe tomatoes within 2 1/2 months, start to finish. I did purchase plants and didn't grow from them from seed though. Next year, I'll start from seed indoors, then transplant to the raised bed if I haven't moved to the farm by then. Even then, I do believe I'll construct new raised beds on the farm.

Monica, I saw the most beautiful, soft prayer shawls in the yarn shop and thought of you. I couldn't believe how delicate they looked.

Grace, hope you're still safe and your friends are recovering from the storm.

I better get to researching! Happy day everyone!

Smiles,
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  2:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi All. Hope everyone is having a great day. Got woke up with a thunder storm at 5 AM with my dog landing on my head (all 97 lbs of him) as he is a real coward when it comes to storms. So now he is crashed out snoring on the couch to make up for it!!

Here are the pictures of the wands. The color is off a bit due to the yellowish light from the lamp over my table.

Hope you got your loom issues worked out. Back to house cleaning for me.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  2:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, the lavender wands are beautiful. Are you going to sell any??? I just love the bouquet in the lower right corner too.

I am getting ready to go to my 40th class reunion...anticipating this day has made me go back and think about my life since graduating...I don't know that I feel as old as it makes me sound.

We got more rain last night. Danny is over by Milan mowing hay. His brother had took on the job but got sick. BIL is home but he ran a temp again last night and still feels pretty bum.

Ang, I will not be much help since my looms have aprons on them. Have you contacted the guy that taught on your loom?

Nails are painted, hair done, make up on...whew...can't wait to be back home in my everydays and just enjoying the sheep.
Many blessings your way
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I love the lavender wands. Very unique! I've never seen anything like them. Did you come up with that or get the idea somewhere else?

Haven't heard from Mom on how the class reunion went. She must be must today.

I also haven't tied the warp on yet. I seem to be a little intimidated by the lack of a canvas apron.

How's the weather everywhere today? It's beautiful here in Michigan. Wayne and I went for a nice Sunday drive through some countryside I'd never seen before.

Take care ladies!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  3:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I agree with Angie...love the wands. I had cut a picture of some years ago and thought they were really cool. I also thought "Maybe some day I'll try to make some of these"! I think I have insructions tucked away somewhere...but someday has not arrived yet! You do great work.
Angie, It is pretty warm in this part of Missouri today.
Did I tell you we used to live in Michigan? St. Joseph/Benton harbor area. We loved it. If we had been able to find a farm we could afford there, we would have moved back there.
Good luck with your loom. It must be frustrating for you. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Thank you for the compliments on my wands. No they are not original to me - it's a very old craft, hundreds of years old. The are also called lavender bottles. There are a few tricks to doing them but mostly just time as they take awhile to complete. The hardest part is finding lavender with super long, strong stems for the weaving. The traditional English lavender doesn't have long or strong enough stems.

Angie, I ran across this web site when I was looking for barn looms (they interest me as my great auntie had a huge one in her barn when I was a kid) anyway the site is
http://www.weaversfriend.com/page13/page14/page14.html She has manuals available and perhaps could possibly answer any questions as she has researched and restored them. I hope this will help.

My son and DIL just left they came up to help me dump and scrub out the sheep trough as it grows so much algae in this hot weather. I have been sorting out one of my craft closets as the mice have made a freeway of it. Fortunately most things were stored in plastic bins.

Hope everyone is having a great day. How was your reunion, Sarita?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, You are a lifesaver! See the apron rod tied to knobs on the cloth beam? That's exactly how mine should be done! I have those very same knobs and the apron rods! Yipppeee! You've saved me a world of frustration. Bless you from the bottom of my heart.

Well ladies, no more putting it off. I gotta get that thing tied on and weave. Look out world here I come!!!

I'll update ya'll later!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Wait! Brenda I completely forgot to reply to you. I knew I was missing something. Sorry, I got too excited when I saw the pic on the link Sheri posted.

Land does seem to be pricey here. I know the taxes are as well. I've noticed a lot more farms on the market in the last few months. You may be able to strike a real good deal here now. I love it here. I always thought I had a brown thumb, but everything grows in this part of Michigan. Do you have any family up this way?

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  5:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Angie,
Congrats! I don't blame you, I'd be pretty excited, too!
Now that we're settled here in Missouri, I don't hink we'll be moving again. I haven't lived anywhere for much more than four years since I've been married. I told my husband this was my last move until Jesus comes to get me, and I'm pretty sure he won't make me pack! Hah!
I don't have family in Michigan, but I do have family in Goshen and Shipshewana, Indiana. We just had a big family reunion there at the beginning of the month (I didn't make it this year, unfortunately). My grandfather (who was raised Amish) came from there.
Happy weaving!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  8:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Whoopeeee! Thanks Sheri, I wonder where Ang gets her DNA? We talk every day on the phone and we had talked before she got this information... and she has not even called to give me the good news. I bet she will be up all night weaving. That's OK, Ang, enjoy!

Clorie, the last little lamb that I thought was not going to make it, is growing and doing well. She is not limping anymore. She is grayish with dark spots and her wool is growing in very small ringlets. She comes to see me but please do not touch! Some of the lambs have 4-5 in long wool. They are eating like pigs and growing fast. We have had so much rain that the grass can loose its nutriental value so I have been supplementing with lamb pellets so they will not suck their mothers down. One year when we had heavy rains like this year, the neighbor had his nutriental value of his hay checked and it was almost nothing and the longer we go before we can hay causes that value to drop even more. Noted the corn fields that were green are turning yellow after the last rain.

We moved haying equipment this afternoon, Danny has quite abit of hay down for bil, may get some rain tonight but maybe it will stop at Brenda's...not wishing it on you, friend, but according to the forecast, that is the way it is looking. BIL has cattle across the road and one cow got out and was in our yard this morning, opened the gate, got a bucket of grain to coach her back in...she stands on her hind legs and just leaps over the fence. Then Danny drove all the fences on that side of the road and checked the cows and found some have pinkeye...the flys are awful. BIL is still weak and not feeling good, they have put him on another antibiotic so we may be working his cattle...haying...(you have to know my sil, she pushes my bil and loves material things so my bil has his fingers in more than he can handle and now my husband that I have been telling to slow down is now taking care of bil's and ours too.) I don't want to sound like an old rip but I want my husband to be healthy and enjoying life. Thank ewe for letting me vent!

Sheri, love that lavender.

The 40th class reunion was fun. Some of our old teachers were there. We looked like a bunch of old people...what an eye opener!

Brenda, I think the good Lord lead you to Missouri for a reason and you have a great start, throw your boxes away, you are a Missourian now! I think I would like Michigan too. Ang loves it and has me itching to go up and see for myself.

Better get to bed. We will start all over tomorrow.

later sheepy ladies
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to hear that the site provided an answer for you, Angie. How is the weaving going?

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time at your reunion, Sarita. What a big job to take care of your own place plus your BIL's as well. I hope he is on the mend and your husbands extra work lifted quickly.

Here is a picture of my new sheep - they are still a bit skittish so it's hard to get a decent shot without fencing in the way.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  04:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all! Well Basil is showing his intelligence in thinking it is always greener on the other side and getting his head stuck in the fence!!! He did it Thursday night and then again on Saturday!!

Have heard some wolves in the area howling at night so hopefully they stay away

Not too much new on this front, rain and rain but supposed to clear up later today and for the week!

Glad you had fun Sarita, I have not been to one reunion yet, been out 36 years. My class was, well, I see most of those I want too.
Angie happy looming

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  06:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Poor Basil - has a case of the grass is greener!! There is always one in the flock.

Glad to hear you went to your reunion Sarita - I have not been to one. First ten year I was on a 3 month bed rest with the hatching of my second son. By my 20th, I was dealing with the death of my husband and by the 30th I was at a fiber festival clear across the country. I graduated early so I did not participate in most things my last year. My dear friends have passed so I have not had a need to see strangers. Your right we would all stand around counting wrinkles...

I will be off the site for a couple of days - going into town to watch Reese. I hope all will run smoothly here while I am gone - loaded everyone up with all they need and Cash is now doing much better so I feel like he can be on his own. I must admit I get worried when I am not here but I put it God's hands. I am taking the new camera and will try my hand at getting pictures of him.

You all stay safe and dry...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday everyone. I'm sorry to report that I haven't been weaving yet. Why? Well, I'll tell ya. Do you remember when I dropped the harness and everything got tangled up? Well, I did my best to get the warp untangled before putting them through the reed, but it turns out I didn't do such a hot job. Everything looked so straight. Optical illusion I guess... Well, last night while pulling through many of the warp threads would tangle up right before the heddles causing incredibly uneven tension. I now have to go back today and untangle all those that are out of whack. There are alot of them. Even so many that I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take it all out and start over again! I'll try to do it the easiest way possible, but the key is to find out what the easiest way is. I'll keep ya updated during breaks to rest the back. (Oh brother.....)

I have to say I love all the names you gals come up with for your animals. Basil, adorable! Cash, so cute. I wonder what I'll name mine when I get some.... Hmmmm. somethin' to think about. That's where I'm finding ease of frustration this morning, dreaming of all the critters I'll have on the farm.

Brenda, Mom is right. Enough with the moving. You've done your fair share. Don't get me wrong, I love Missouri. But, this is where God has planted me. It suits me well. I don't deal well with heat (migraines) or humidity, not to say we don't have heat and humidity here, just less of it. I didn't really remember how much different the climate could be until my last visit. Woowee!!! Hot Hot Hot! I'd call Wayne and he'd tell me it was in the lower 80's here while we were close to 100 in Missouri. Big difference!

Enough rambling... Sorry about that, must be putting off dealing with the warp. All I can say is what ever I'll make on this thing will be a great reward, I'm having enough trouble getting there. Oh well, I love the loom. It's so rustic and to me, beautiful. No frustration can get me down. Fight on Sister!!!

Bless you all,
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  09:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Angie - Cash is short for Johnny Cash - because he is all black, has a big and gentle way about himself but you know there is more brewing under that gentle smile. His brother who we got at the same time is Silvester because he is all silver and also because he reminded me of they guy from the ROCKY films.. Silvester is is always there for the under dog. He would protects his brother and any others with his life. He is a kind soul but is a work horse. He loves going camping and can pull or carry as much as a llama. They both are joined at the hip and are such dear hearts. They also produce some great cashmere that Is always sold the moment it is off their bodies... Hames are a big deal here and when you have your animals you will find the joy we do in picking that perfect name....

Posted a cute story about my little white hen on the blog for today. I better get on the road - in to town I go...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, the wands are very pretty! I love the pic of your dog!

Sarita, I am glad you had fun at your reunion!

Rae, Sorry to hear about Basil getting stuck, but isn't that the way it goes!

I decided to try and make some cup warmers with some of my handspun and the first one came out really cute. I have to add a flower on the second one! I think I am going to try and make some to sell on etsy! I don't seem to have much luck selling the yarn so maybe the warmers will sell!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 02 2010 11:29:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  7:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Monica, your cup warmers are so cute. How about a tea pot cozy and matching cup warmers...the only thing is the different shape of cups and pots...
I wonder if much of anything wool is selling right now with the heat.
I have been carding White Knight's fleece. He really has a silky feel and a luster to it.
Lori, I am wondering how you did this week end???? I hope you sold out!
Ang, is my messenger bag done..Hehe...hope you got your loom up and going. But you know, I really am looking for my messenger bag...no I am serious.
Grace, have fun with the baby.
Rae, do you think the wolves will get close to your sheep? I know about the rain and heat. We have not got one bale of our own hay put up yet. I am getting nervous.
Brenda, did you get rain this morning? We just got sprinkles here at our farm this morning but up by Milan where we are haying for our bil, they got enough that you could wring wet out of the hay that we had down.
Girls, I just took a shower after doing chores and I am sleepy tonight.
God bless,
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, Thank you! I am going to do some different styles and sizes. I am going to have some with buttons on them that would be adjustable! I may also offer custom ones to fit specific cups and pots!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page