Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic
Page: of 80

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Well I baked my first loaf. We too had a lot of things to do today. I did not get it into the oven until 7pm.
It did not rise too much. But it did raise some.

I cooked it for 20 minutes. It felt rather firm. So I took it out. It did not brown too much. And it did not rise much more then what it had before I put it in the over. Oh and I used 2 muffin tins with water.

When I cut it open, it was still a little raw or doughy. But it was good. I just had some with butter. I think tomorrow I will try toasting a slice and have a little honey or jam on it.

I am letting it cool all the way. I will place it in a brown bag.
I know next week it will be even better.
Thanks for taking some time to read my thoughts and look at my photos.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  7:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Kathy and Mary-Alice those look yummy! I am really enjoying all the pictures.

Kristin - glad your hubby and you enjoyed the pizza. My favorite part was how easy the dough was! I mixed mine up and began prepping my other ingredients and by the time I was done my dough had rested 30 minutes! My hubby is a big eater so one would feed the two of us! I had made two because I was trying to compare taste and texture between the two types of flour. Plus my MIL had come to eat with us. We have leftovers which we will take for lunch on Monday.

Vicki - It sounds like your oven might be running a little hot. Try kicking the temp down a little (25 degrees should do the trick)and using a thermometer to check the internal temp of your bread. With the lower temp you may need to cook it a little longer. You are right it should have a crust but should not be HARD on top. Let me know if this works for you.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  7:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Julie, the crust around the edges was very crispy and that got me to thinking about making sour dough crackers. I might try the same pizza dough and just roll it out real thin and make crackers next time. Something to think about, huh?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  7:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Julie, Thanks. BTW, I loved your pics of your pizzas too. They looked very professional and perfect. I am going to have to try the pizza too.

I can't wait for the next bread baking. I think I am going to try being a little inventive and see if I can come up with a good raisin bread.

This was really a fun day today.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  9:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I was gone for a week and put the mother in the refrig. When I got home last night I added the flour and water. This morning I mixed up the white bread and it really rose nicely. This is my 3rd week to bake and it did much better.
My dough is not sticky even if there is not the full amount of flour it. But I like the way it is.
This has really been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot about bread baking even though I've been doing it for 50 years +. It is good to see all the gals that are tring bread for the first time. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Go to Top of Page

whimseyc
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jill
Riverdale GA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  03:40:55 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Jill it WILL get thinner as time goes on. Mine was really "doughy" at the beginning and is now more like a pancake batter. This is normal.

Thanks for the info. I baked a loaf with walnuts and dried cherries last night. I did knead it for a few minutes and then put it on a cookie sheet on parchment paper. It's pretty heavy but done inside and maybe edible LOL I'm thinking about cutting it up into slices since it's so thin and baking them again kind of like biscotti. We'll see what happens next week - I'm not giving up!

Sometimes you just have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  09:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Jill what a great idea about biscotti! Making a sweeter bread and cooking it free form that slicing and rebaking would make great biscotti!

Kristin I think crackers would be very doable with that pizza dough recipe. You may want to poke some little holes in them with the tines of a fork to keep them from puffing up. One of my pizza doughs got a big bubble in it during the pre-bake but I just poked a little hole and it went back down. I'm looking forward to having that last piece of pizza for lunch tomorrow!

Yesterday we had the sourdough waffles again. They were so yummy! Real crispy on the outside with great cell wall structure on the inside. Probably the BEST waffles I have ever had.

I'm gonna bake a loaf of bread or two a little later today. With three starters going I am really busy with sourdough!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I am really enjoying all the pictures of your breads, too. My daughter and I had a discussion yesterday about exactly what constitutes a ceramic bowl. We have some glass bowls from the 60's that are large, and wondered if that was alright for the mother to live in. Our ceramic, vintage bowls....they seem too old and I have heard that some of them have mercury in the paints....anyway, do you think a pyrex type big glass bowl from the 60's will work?

Yummy breads here! Makes me hungry.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  10:42:58 AM  Show Profile
I think MaryJane suggested ceramic because she want us NOT to use metal (bad for the starter) or plastic (may leech chemicals). She will have to correct me if I am wrong but I think glass would be okay. I know nothing about glass from the 60's!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Sourdough Success! I am so excited. Used my new cast iron bread pan lined with parchment and let it rise overnight in oven with the light on, about 10 hours. Baked it for 20 mins and used thermometer. Ultimately it took another 20 minutes to reach 190 degrees- for a total of 40 minutes. I rubbed butter on top crust as it rested. We had half of it for breakfast with scrambled eggs. The Best! I am so, so proud. Thank you MaryJane.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  2:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Looks Yummy Karen! I LOVE that blue and white plate!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Well ... I tried the sourdough and bake the first two loaves yesterday ... go to my blog to see the pics and results of my first attempt ...
http://loralynn7.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LoraFLeming on Feb 08 2009 5:50:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen - nice looking loaf! And I agree with some elses comment- sweet blue plate ;^)
Kathy H - yours looks much like my loaf looked.
It is really nice to see the pics of everyones bread. Very helpful. My first one was in a cast iron round pan...although I confess overbaked mine first time. Tomorrow I think I will try a glass loaf pan and see what happens. I will be more mindful of baking time than I was before. Hoping we get a great loaf for sandwiches.
Thanks Ladies!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  6:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi lora. This was a common experience with everyone during the first week. Keep at it and I promise you will see better results next week.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  7:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,
I finished my bread on Saturday, my husband said I am only eating it because I went
to the trouble of making it. It wasn't much trouble making and it did look like the
picture but it was a little flat. I am going to try again also. One of the other girls
had written about using spelt flour does anyone know if that will work or should I just
experiment. Does anyone know the calorie content of this bread? Also does anyone know
where I can get cookie or cake recipes make WITHOUT white sugar or white flour?
Thanks for any info. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  05:43:25 AM  Show Profile
I started my mother yesterday -- but even 2 hours after adding the water and flour this morning (2nd day) I've got no bubbles. It's just a thick dough-like consistency. Is it too soon to be worried? I'm using Whole Foods 365 Organic flour (no organic KA anywhere) and for the water I got gallon jugs from the babyfood aisle -- they say "purified" so I'm assuming it's OK. I don't have any ceramic bowls big enough so I'm using a Pyrex bowl -- and a bamboo spoon. I live in New England and it's a nasty winter. Heating oil is $2 a gallon so the heat stays at 60 degrees in my house. My kitchen counter is bisected by the chimney and does have some radiant heat from the furnace so I've snuggled the bowl up against it. Should I leave the towel off for a bit? This is all a big adventure for me and I'm probably going to be really anxious and anal until I get a good loaf from it. I don't usually bake -- the precision of it gives me agita. I'm a dumper -- I love recipes where I just have to dump this or that and get good results -- my favorite dump recipe is Hawaiian Wedding Cake -- if you want the recipe let me know -- deelish! And my mom never baked anything that didn't come as a "kit" in a box. And my grandmother's specialties were Shepherd's Pie and American Chop Suey which should give you an idea of my culinary genes. And the most hilarious part of this whole venture is... I don't even really eat bread. I like it, but I try to limit my carb intake to whole grains. Plus I've had Lap Band surgery for weight loss and bread doesn't go down the gullet so well. But I was so inspired by the magazine (my first MJF experience)that I had to try it! I've read all 35 pages of this post and the discussion has been great. I must say, I never thought I'd find so many women hoping for yeast!
Good Bread Luck Everyone!
--Kelly
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  06:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi all I'm back from dog sled racing. Had a great week end with my humby. When I got back on Sunday, my mother didn't look good. So I'm starting new batch of sourdough starter today, trying different flour. Hope mine will come out this time. (Getting kind of down on this) But not going to give up.. Julie your pizza crust looks so...good. Great Job!

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

ennoid
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

D
FL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  07:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Last week, my bread was awful so I began a new mother. This week my loaf was great! It had a nice rise to it and we devoured most of it last night (sorry...no picture). I used the same cast iron 2-Quart casserole dish (picture on page 9) but was out of parchment paper to line it. I must say, I liked the results so much better without the parchment paper. I buttered my dish instead. The bottom and sides were nice and soft, while the top was hard and crusty. It was so much easier to cut by flipping it upside-down and slicing from the soft bottom.

Also, I wasn't getting much of a rise since the cast iron got cold. After three hours, I moved it beside my warm Crockpot and it poofed right up by the 8th hour. It was a little too sour, but I drizzled honey over mine. I think someone else mention previously that the longer the bread rises, the more sour it is. Next week I'll try to shorten the rise time or maybe try the cinnamon raisin recipe.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  07:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Kelly - I wouldn't be too worried. Keep feeding it daily. It will be thinner and more active by the end of the week. I would also suggest that you use your starter for pancakes or waffles this week and wait an extra week before making the bread. That will give the starter plenty of time to develop and you wont be disappointed with the results.

Debra - What do you mean by "it didn't look good"?

I think some of you guys are jumping the gun on starting new mothers and not really allowing them time to develop. Sourdough starters take time to develop natural yeast and bacteria. The performance and flavor increase with time. Unless you are seeing MOLD you should be fine to keep using it. If left to sit a day or two the liquid (hooch) will seperate out on the top. Sometimes it can look a little like dirty water. As long it is not black, red, or green it is fine to mix back in. One or two feedings and your starter will be happy and back to her old self!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:17:52 AM  Show Profile
I have baked for the third time and still haven't gotten the loaf of bread I think should have The flavor is great it has begun to rise but still not in a loaf type shape. It did rise to double but still was only 2 inches tall. I am going to keep trying. The cast iron pan was key as it was warm and the rise was good. I still will feed and care for mom and try to find a cast iron loaf pan.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Diana the loaf is going to fit to the pan it is in. If your pan is too large it will spread more than rise. the pan MaryJane uses in the article is taller than it is wider because it is a cast iron saucepan. I am using a dutch oven which is wider than it is tall so my finished loaf is only about 3 inches tall.

I am wondering if anyone has tried a coffee can lined with parchement paper. I was thinging about trying this but don't ahve any coffee cans. I think the round bread would be great for sandwiches. I'm gonna check with the cafeteria ladies at my school and see if I can scrounge up a coffee can.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I am also using the Whole Foods 365 Organic flour. The first week I didn't get a good rise. This week my second loaf was wonderful. Give it a chance and see what happens. I would think that if you have the bowl nestled against the warm chimney you will get some radiant heat from that. I would definitely keep the towel on it to keep the drafts away from it since you are keeping your house very cool. The Pyrex glass bowl should be fine too as well as the bamboo spoon. Good luck

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile
My starter is now three weeks old and I have baked from it several times. I add a couple cups of flour and water at each feeding so that I cam bake more often. I have noticed that the rises are getting much better and my first "no knead" bread came out very well. I still prefer to knead because I just like doing it and need the exercise, but the no knead was fun to do, too.

I accidentally left my starter on the stove top and my daughter did some baking. Now my starter smells awful sour and I don't like the stronger flavor. So...today I used up all but two cups and am starting over with that. I'm hoping to work out the extra sour by over feeding for a couple days. I'll keep you posted.

Can't wait to bake today's bread...made one with molasses and some quick oats!

CArrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Carrie - if you make up any new recipes, Be sure to post them!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  1:10:01 PM  Show Profile
Yes, please do. I'd like to know how you did the molasses and oats bread. Thanks.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page