TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  7:05:16 PM  Show Profile
My Mother is 4 days old too! Bubbly and a bit sour, so far so good!

Come see the Sisterhood Dolls on my blog!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong

Edited by - TheresaB on Jan 21 2009 7:06:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  8:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Kate, I've not had time to go look through a 2 gal ziploc with sourdough tips and recipes from years past. If you do use the clay pot, be sure to start with a cold oven or it very likely will crack. If you use it for other food, a parchment liner might be good, as it will pick up the flavors from the chicken or whatever you cooked in it previously. A soak in water first is advisable also. To have your dough rise in a clay pot, submerse it in very warm water until risen enough to bake. Tricky if there's anyone in the house who might turn on the faucet and drown your bread dough :)
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  8:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so I made my first batch today and well, it's a lovely paper weights...LOL! It didn't really raise like I think it should have and it started to burn but was never done in the center. I think these are the reasons...I used King Arthur bread flour, and spring water...I chanced it when I was at the store because I forgot what flour to get...silly me forgetting the mag at home. So today I wrote down the flour I needed found the correct flour, got purified water and then I bought my first cast iron pan, although its a large dutch oven, 5 qt...I think it might be good to start with! And now after looking at everyones and how bubbly they are I think I might start a new mother...with all the correct items. So here I go...time for a new mother...
Mary Jane really did a good job with this one. It's keeping us all real busy in our kitchen! I love it!
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  05:32:33 AM  Show Profile
I noticed my mother is bubbly the first few hours after being fed. After that the houch develops on the top and I don't see any more bubbling. Is this normal or should I feed the mother twice a day to keep it bubbling ? My mother is 5 days old this morning.
I ordered the 2 quart dutch ovens from Texport that Bonnie told me about....I am so excited....I hope they come Friday so I can use them. They are going to be already seasoned. If not I will have to try the freeform.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I've got two different starters going at the same time: the MaryJane "mother", and a different "no commercial yeast" recipe supplied for my Klondike goldrush cooking project. I'm noticing some really interesting differences so far.

My "mother" has lots of bubbles but produces no liquid hooch. The other starter has no bubbles but about an inch of hooch on top every day.

The "mother" smells more like vinegar, the "other" smells a bit like sour milk. The "other" starter was begun with a cup of milk and a cup of flour, and the recipe does not call for feeding it at all. I've been giving it a little bit of flour though; don't want it to get jealous when I feed "mother".

I'm going to bake from both starters on Saturday, and I can't wait to see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Linda there is no need to feed your starter twice a day. If you are getting a LOT of "hooch" you could try adding a tablespoon of extra flour and see if that helps. The mother will go through active and rest periods during the day. This is normal.

Laura I am doing some testing using the KA All Purpose and the KA Bread flour. I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  12:13:20 PM  Show Profile
A bit of encouragement...young starters do/can either be "slow bloomers/ flat results" or hit the ground running. Don't give up, all yeasts act differently and some are more active. If you have a slow bloomer that otherwise smells and looks good, keep using and feeding it...but maybe start with pancakes. Eventually the mother/yeast will mature enough (with use and feedings) to give you the bread you dream of.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  1:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bought my flour today to start the starter! For economy reason I will use up the bread I have on hand before I switch to all organic when it comes to the baking part. But "Ma" will always be 100% organic!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  1:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Great advise Michelle! Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile
This may have been asked before (if so, sorry, my bad) but what about baking in an enameled cast iron dutch oven? It's not super high quality and I've never baked in it before, think it would work? I resorted to a glass bowl as I don't seem to own a ceramic one ( I know, what kind of Farmgirl am I?) for my Queen (as in the Queen "Mother") but she seems to be doing well so far.

Long Live the Queen!

Come see the new Sisterhood Dolls on my blog!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  2:15:52 PM  Show Profile
The Texport 2 quart dutch ovens came today, yippie !!! They looked alot like the one in the MJF magazine except these don't have a cast iron handle and they have 3 small legs.The dimensions of depth and width are right on the money. It should help with keeping the shape. They are really cute ! I will be able to bake the first batch of bread Saturday.I can't wait until Saturday.......not that I am wishing my life away....lol.

Thanks Julie for the answer. I will try that.
I guess it makes sense that each mother will be different because each is started in a different home with different wild yeast. Its really fasinating when you think about it.

Was there a recipe for making the pancakes on this thread, I don't remember seeing it? Would love to try those also, pancakes sound really good.

If I wanted to start a second mother for someones else using the one I have already going how do you go about doing that ? I have a friend who is interested. I told her she could start her own but she was curious about taking from mine.

Thanks
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 22 2009 2:17:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Sourdough pancakes...great way to start the day. Adding sliced bananas to them really compliments the twang of sourdough, and extra vitamins!

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jan 22 2009 7:18:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Pancakes

3 Large eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups starter
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar

Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. Beat egg lightly, add milk and starter and whisk. Whisk in dry ingredients.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jan 22 2009 4:30:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Theresa I'm gonna try enamled cast iron this weekend. I haver tried it before. I don't think it would be a problem. Anyone else tried it?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

vicki Cothren
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicki
Pomona Cal
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile
We are trying to make the sourdough starter - all went well - raising, bubbling and thick, until this morning. We now have a few bubbles and very thin watery dough, what now as suggestions are in order. do we start over? This is our first question so hope it was done right - Vicki
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  5:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Keep at it Vicki. Your working with a "living" thing. It will have it's ups and downs.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  5:31:37 PM  Show Profile
I just checked in on my "mother" she is happy.. She is bubbling and looks great. This time around when I add the water I am using warm tap well water..not cold.. So far so good.. I just added to the first "mother" on Wednesday..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  5:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vicki- It sounds to me like your starter ate all her food and produced from "hooch"- both very good things! That means the yeastie beasties as I like to call them are growing and the population is starting to match their food source. If after you feed her, you don't see action again within a day, let us know what it looks like again at that point. She could either have eaten all her food again and in a resting phase or she could have perished. But like Julie said- keep going! Odds are she is thriving and doing great!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 22 2009 5:38:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  8:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe Julie, looks like a good one. After I try baking my first bread Saturday. I am going to start adding twice the flour and water so I can do both pancakes and bread.

Nite
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  9:23:11 PM  Show Profile
For those who've baked "bricks" and anxious for a loaf to enjoy, try this San Franciso Style French Bread...it does use yeast, but your starter will add to the flavor. Hopefully, those of you new to bread baking,especially with sourdough, will stay on board and keep trying.

San Francisco "style" French Bread
1 pkg or 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tblsp sugar
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
5 cups flour (approx)
2 tsp salt
Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl. Let soften 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and starter, then gradually add 4 cups flour mixed with salt. Cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place until about doubled in size, approx 1 1/2 hours.
Turn dough onto floured board and work in about 1 cup flour or until dough is no longer sticky. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 5 min. Can use heavy duty mixer with dough hook.
Shape dough into one large round or two oval loaves. Place on baking sheet sprinkled with fine cornmeal or flour so it doesn't stick. Let rise again in warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Place shallow pan of water on lower shelf of oven heated to 400 degrees. Using sharp knife or single edge razor blade, make diagonal slashes in the bread. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes, until crust is medium dark brown.
Dough is slashed just before baking for a reason. The sudden heat will cause the loaf to 'burst' with a final rise and the slash keeps it looking nice. Strangely shaped loaves if it's not done.
Salt is not added until the yeast has a chance to start working, as it slows the action of the yeast. Sugar boosts the yeast, so it's added at the beginning.
If you can wait for the bread to cool (I know, it's hard when it smells so good), it will slice easier. Sometimes bread that's cut or torn right out of the oven will be gummy.
Enjoy! Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  9:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My starter is officially started! She is going to live in my office with me where I can keep an eye on her and where she will have a space heater on to keep her warm until spring! I forgot to get purified or distilled water though- so I had some water setting out all day in a jug. I know after 24-48 hours the chlorine leaves water ( you have to dechlorinate your water like this if you have fish) so I am hoping 15 hours out helped enough. I guess a few days will tell!

Oh and until I have my water jug cleaned I am using a mason jar. I might go buy a glass jug or see if Goodwill has any treasures for me tomorrow :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  05:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Quick question......I was reading over the recipes in the MJF mag. and didn't see where the recipe said how many loaves it makes. I know each recipe calls for 2 cups of mother and if you use the little 2 quart dutch ovens does it make 1 or 2 of these little loaves?

Thanks Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  05:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
I was at Big Lots just the other day looking for a lidded jar....actually for my kombucha...but I digress. Anyhoo, I found the neatest jar that is shaped like a barrel, ribs and all, gallon in size, with a large mouth. It actually comes with a little wire and wooden bale that I opted not to use. The best part is that it was only $3........and my bucha is loving it. Everything in my cupboards is in glass jars....so I usually have an abundance of them. I love how they look.....but most importantly, I can open my cupboard and see what I have and what I need. Most of them have come from Goodwill, Salvation Army and Yard/Estate sales. Just one of my small ways to be green. One jar has a fun story....when we were living in Phoenix (well, we actually lived in Tempe) a friend and I were out shopping at yard sales and started following signs in the Camelback Mountain area, and low and behold, Alice Cooper's wife and her friend were having an awesome yardsale. She had the biggest "Ball" jar I had ever seen....and now it's my cookie jar.
Here's to "Mother"....and her loving nectar (hooch)...and the nourishment she provides!
I will bake my first loaf today.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  05:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Linda it will make one loaf I believe. I do not yet have a 2 qt size so I'm not certain how small it is. If it(the dough) looks too big I suppose you could divide it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jan 23 2009 05:25:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  06:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Kate, that' funny! Somehow the image of Alice Cooper eating a big jar of home-canned something or other makes me really happy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page