Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Credit Card bills.... Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
ugh trying to payoff my Citi Credit Card....APR through the roof now. Tell me it will get better:-p I know I'm not alone. grrrr Are you all having any credit card issues?

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  08:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
It will. We were really strapped for making payments last summer but we got through it. We now are down to only 3 cards to pay on, vice the 7 we had, including a personal loan. We can breath just a little now. Honestly, be really truthful and crunching the numbers once a week helped us stay on track. (((HUGS)))

What I am working on now is the scenario if I can't find a job when I graduate this summer, can we live on Scott's paycheck alone? I have 6 months to get those other CC's down and build up our savings a bit. The reality of it all actually keeps me very motivated.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile
I married into quite a bit of credit card debt. I had much lower rates than he did on my citicard, so we transferred it over with a special balance transfer apr. My rates have pretty much doubled. ARggggh.

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  08:08:45 AM  Show Profile
If you are making payments on time you can call yourcard company and request that they lower your rate.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You know I am paying on debt and it really does get better. Any Windfalls you might get (IE Income Tax Return, months with 3 paychecks instead of two etc) use the "extra" money to cannonball a debt or a huge portion of it.

Think of your debt as a wall and each payment is a cannonball that you are shooting at the wall. Each Payment makes a dent and crumbles some of the wall. Then when you can make one big payment it is like launching the biggest cannonball you have- it can knock down whole sections and seriously weakend the rest of the wall.

I like that visualization because it helps me to remember that I am destroying something (debt) and all the work it takes to knock it down makes me want to NEVER EVER build that wall again!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, visuals can really help. I have a chart on my wall, PINK is for what we paid off- RED is for what is still owed. I keep shooting for that pink color!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  3:28:38 PM  Show Profile
It is hard sometimes to delay gratification.. but it is the only way to get ahead...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile
WEll, since you asked, I'll tell you. We are about $10,000 in credit card debt with no interest rates under 24.99APR. They do get overwhelming, but after having these for over 6 years and already paying them off 3 times, let me tell you, HOPE IS IN SIGHT!!!
We got with our credit card company and asked how they would work with us after we explained our situation to them. Praise God! THey are willing to cut our debt in half if we pay in one lump sum (Not extremely attainable to be honest, but was nice to know) They set us up with a reasonable interest rate (Less than 9.99APR and allowed us to have a set payment plan per month taken out of our acct automatically--that was the only catch..ugh!) But, when you are looking at high interest rates, sometimes, little things like that you give to get the big help in return.
It is overwhelming, believe I am there, and I know, but God has that all in His control. Best thing to do would be talk to someone in hardships department.
Hope that helps
Hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  5:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
It can be overwhelming, that's for sure. Two things that I do that keep me motivated are listening to Dave Ramsey's "Debt Free" calls and having a debt thermometer on my wall that I mark off payments on every month. The payments feel so small every month, but when you physically color in that thermometer with the amount paid, it helps you feel like you've made progress. I really liked Alee's visuals - that would work for me too.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Isn't Dave Ramsey awesome?. His plans really work.. He is very interesting to hear and he has some great written material.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Dave Ramsey is great..he has very helpful solutions.

We have one credit card at 9.5% and pay off the balance monthly. It's nice to have a credit line for cases of *unforseen* needs. The discipline is to pay it off within 30 days. This keeps you in line with living within your means.

So far we haven't seen our APR go up and don't believe we will due to the way we use the card....*but one never knows these days*. When you pay off the balance monthly you get the real benefit and not them.

I think it's aweful the way that card company's are raising their APR's on people that are barely getting their minimum payments made right now...it's really showing just how greedy they really are and that's what needs to stop. Then I heard one person that called in and their card had gone from 7% APR to 24% and they had a good payment history. I say take the scissors to that card and shop for a good rate.

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~~~~The Portal to A Vintage Collection & My Creative Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Credit Card bills.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page