Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anne of Green Gables and Gladys Taber
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anne of Green Gables and Gladys Taber Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Posted a picture of a these books. I was thinking about giving all the Gladys Books a second read.
VERY hot here today, but after today I think it will cool down. We have a baseball game tonight I will probably melt away, next year I'm going to get me one of those lawn chairs that has the little built in awning on top. Richard can carry it. I'm nice like that.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Love the books. Anne has always been a favorite of mine. I always love the way you display your goodies. You have such a lovely knack for it. I collect letters, cards and what ever else my favorite authors are kind enough to send me. I have a small box full of autographs and things. I love to write as well, so getting the letters and things out is always an inspiration to me.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Aug 17 2009 1:08:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:06:48 PM  Show Profile
I love GT. She is one of my very favorite authors. I have several of her books. I do read them over and over. Her books never get old.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Now that I have the first 2 ANNE books, I love them!!!
Don't know about Gladys Tabor. What kinda books are they? Just my inquiring mind that wants to know, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  5:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy!
I love Gladys Taber books!!! I've tried to collect them over the years and have been reading them since the late 1980's. My very first dog that I bought as an adult (golden retriever) was named after one of her Irish Setters- Holly Berry Red!! That is wonderful that you have these from your aunt!
The Anne books are something I am trying to collect also, as my oldest daughter took all hers when she got married! :) I had never read them as a child, I'm not sure why, but when my girls read them I did too! Wonderful books, I just love old books period!
It's nice to see someone else from my neck of the woods- sort of! At least you are not too far away!

Brenda

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  04:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda,
Guess you could say we are sort of close. At least on the same end of the country. I'll have to look up where North Rose is.
Yes I'm glad my Aunt gave me the books and the letter she received from Gladys.They are worth a re-read this winter.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  06:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Wow! I don't think I knew there was a book Before Green Gables. I have read all the Anne books and seen the movies (movie is never the same of course). Makes me wish for simpler times of life when good things like Rollings Reliable Baking Company and pretty places like the Lake of Shining waters still existed ;)
The beautiful scenery and the way she described even their clothes made you feel like you were sitting right there watching it all go on.

I will have to look for this book soon. :)
Thanks for sharing!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I used to read as many of the Gladys Tabor books as I could get my hands on. When I worked at the library, we had to thin books for the annual sale, an' when I went to look for some that were being "thrown away", the Gladys Books were gone!! I felt horrible! They hadn't been checked out in over 10 years, an' I didn't find out about that till it was too late. I'd still like to find some, but it's gonna be kinda hard. She was a wonderful writer, an' made me just fall in love with Connecticut before we moved there.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Laurianne- I found most of my Gladys Taber books at Library used book sales! One I did find at a garage sale, but I have found that in the small towns, the libraries get rid of old books faster. Keep and eye out for used book sales coming up in your country towns, and get there early.
Best of luck finding her books- they are wonderful! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  5:20:26 PM  Show Profile
lauri,
Amazon has a lot of Taber books, used. real good prices. The second page of listings. I order used books from amazon all the time. Just go to Amazon under books and type in her name.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:18:15 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo,
Wow I hadn't thought about the Gladys Taber books in years. Now, I guess I'll strat looking for them here and there.
Thanks, Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  6:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I found my only Gladys Taber book one year ago when my husband and I went to Cape Cod for our 25th anniversary. A little place called Titcomb Book Shoppe with a statue of Ben Franklin out front - anyone been there? What a PERFECT old book shop! Of course, I only knew about Gladys Taber from this forum...
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  8:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Gladys Taber books are a must-read as are Ann books. Great reading. Thanks for bringing it up.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  12:07:43 PM  Show Profile
We are watching the Anne of Green Gables DVD over the holiday weekend before I go back to work!!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I love GT books. She grew up in Appleton, WI but moved away afterwards. Her books are timeless. They are gentle and thoughtful and I relate to her love of the country and her animals.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile
I think I've read all the Anne of Green Gables books (as an adult!) as well as the book Before Green Gables. I loved the movies with Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth. I haven't had the opportunity to read Gladys Taber, but one of my favorite artists/authors, Susan Branch, quotes her all the time. Has anyone ever been to Prince Edward Island? Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  10:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
I love the Anne books. I have two sets, The paperbacks for future children or nieces and the old hardbacks for my library... needless to say I have more luck finding the paperbacks. I remember reading these when I was 10 or 11 and I loved them! I also like the Emily of New Moon books by LMM also.

My Blog ~ http://www.travisandjennykerr.com/kerrfect
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  09:55:01 AM  Show Profile
I have been an Anne fan FOREVER - my grandmother gave me a beautiful hard bound book of 3 of the novels when I was pretty young. There are beautiful illustrations, etc. It is falling apart now but I've saved it carefully for the sentimental value. I own the whole set in paperback and reread every so often.

I only discovered Gladys Taber a couple of weeks ago and am part way through my first book of hers - Stillmeadow Road - and I love it! Her writing reminds me a LOT of L.M.M.

Have loved Susan Branch for years too!
Go to Top of Page

opengatefarm
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sonja
Merrill WI
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  10:28:13 AM  Show Profile
I have always been an Anne fan, identified with her as a little girl. While I have not read any Gladys Taber books, I would like to suggest A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter as one that many of you would enjoy.

Sonja
Farmgirl #5671

Because everyone should have a little dirt under their nails...
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Sonja - I remember that my mom loved that book - isn't there a series of books about the Limberlost? Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Anne of Green Gables and Gladys Taber Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page