Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Judy, so sorry to hear about your loss Losing my Grandmother was much the same for my family. We knew it was time for her to go, but it was hard to. Prayers and healing for your family!

Think I may hang out on the porch for a while today. Looks like it's going to be another miserable Sunday. I should be happy... it's the only day that me and the Old Man get to spend ALL day together, but instead, the room mate, his "woman", and other people (including their two rambuntious kids) overtake the house.

I'll be happy when our lease is up and we can have our own house!!!!!

I was looking forward to spending time with him, but I can not stand all the other people except one, so it looks like me and Pepper Jean the Feline Queen will lie in bed.... maybe do some beadwork or sewing.

Sorry to be so down in the dumps, y'all... just looking for a change, I guess!

I hope everyone else is having a wonderful sunday, life's daily little sufferings and all!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.tawnycow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Judy...I am so sorry about your Aunt. Gosh, that is the part I hate about getting older...all our loved ones and friends start going home to the Lord and we are stuck missing them like crazy. I will send your Mama a card. This time of year it isn't going to be Farmgirl Home-made though.

Penny...I am feeling the crunch too girlfriend...I am down to two swaps and Mail-Art having to get out. I am tired today but Church was an uplift. My husband suffers through depression this time of year...and though I feel bad for him...I am kind of tired of his crankiness and defensiveness. I wish he would snap out of it! He is on my last nerve today. You would think after 26 years of dealing with Seasonal Depression with him...I would be use to it...or at least know how to deal with it. But I don't. This is my favorite time of year (Holidays) but his moods can sure put a damper on it.
Whine ! Whine! Whine!...ok, I am over myself!

Miss Miranda...sounds like you are having a down day too. Do you want to hang out and pout with me? lol I am going to go curl up with Miss Bella my Shi -tzu and take a Sunday afternoon nap.

More Later girls...
blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile
LOL Peggy I was about to take you up on it, till a Facebook friend posted a scripture from Romans and brought me out of it. I got to thinkin' to myself, I have been through so much, and I am letting this obnoxious situation bring me down!

Pepper Jean is quite annoyed with me at the moment because I have been curled up on the bed feeling sorry for myself. She was a rescue and has had it rought for a while, and she's giving me this look like "if I can be happy, so can you, dangit!"

On the other subject of loss, I'll be 32 in January, and am starting to go through the loss of family in a big way already. It started with my Daddy in 2007, nearly lost my Momma a year later, lost Grandma in 2009 and three people to the same cancer within 6 months between 2009 and 2010. A friend of mine was murdered in July and another friend was nearly murdered a month and a half later. It's a part of life I am learning to deal with, and it seems like Momma and I have been asked to help others through, as well.

If it is okay, though I am new to this forum and new to the sisterhood, I would like to send a card, too. Perhaps it would be good for the both of us.

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, I survived my first day at work. Waking up at 4am wasn't hard. But soo many things to remember. Working with food in a grocery store there are so many rules! Wear a hair net, don't touch your face, wash your hands ....again, working with plastic gloves that get slimy and slippery is not easy. Then my hands are wet and I can't get the gloves on. I ripped so many of the little suckers just cos my hands weren't dry enough. Then it's measure temperatures of everything, remembering what to cut, how many, codes for the price tags. Oh, and supposedly I set off a security alarm because I came through the employee door too early. Then couldn't find my hat and had to drive home (thankfully only 10 minutes away) and get back before I was late. Then, remember to clock out 1 min before 10am or I would have to stay for a 1/2 hour lunch instead of coming home right away. I did end up working an extra hour and will the rest of the week. And then came home and slept until 1pm. Now time for homework.

Judy, so sorry about your Aunt. I know it gets hard when we see our family slipping away. At least your mom still has you.

Miranda, I love the name of your kitty queen. I have Stinky Sammy Princess. And yes, she earned that name honestly. I hope never to live with roommates again. I sympathize with you on that.

Tammy, glad your family is OK after the car accident. I guess it isn't fun to be on either end of that. Hopefully insurance will make BIL happy again.

Well, off to do homework. Maybe someday I'll have a day with nothing to do. But my schedule looks pretty full for a while. Not even sure how I'm going to get all my homework done.

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Pepper came with her first name, and being that she's already a year old, I decided not to change it. If she'd been younger, I'd have changed it. She just doesn't come accross as a "Pepper" to me.

So, instead, I gave her a middle name and decided Jean sounded good. Kinda country, has a good rhythm.

Well, the friend that was killed in July was a musician, and had a song he wrote, inspired by another friend whose name was Jimmie Jean. In it, he uses the line "Jimmie Jean, lil teenage queen" and so, I keep sticking some sort of rhyme akin to that on Pepper's name! Pepper Jean the kitty queen. Pepper jean, the fluffy queen, etc. Right now, she is Pepper Jean the Crazy Queen. The Old Man got her worked up playing with her. He went outside to trim his beard (YAAAAY!) so I figured she got over being all feisty. Not so! He came back in the room, and, out of nowhere, she flew off the bed, ran into the bathroom and promptly attacked a no-see-um. I think no-see-ums are her favorite toy. Never seen a cat play with nothing quite like she does! I do love that cat...

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  4:12:03 PM  Show Profile
hello porchies,
I hope you can smell the pumpkin bread I am carrying along with a pot of apple black tea. Miss Peggy that is one of my new favorites. It is from Adagios. It is really good...love the smell as well. But you know my chocolate teas always stay at the front..hehehe have to have my chocolate fix...hehehe

I only have two days of school this week. Looking forward to spending time with family. Today my dear hubby surprised me with an early birthday present. He took me to pick out a little shishu puppy. We have two golden retrievers but they are really the boys dogs. I spend a great deal of time with myself and need a little company. He will be ready in two weeks and let me tell you if I could have broght him home today I would have. I will post a picture when he comes home to me. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Welcome Miranda so glad to have you on the porch. We are quite a bunch of sisters here ont he porch.

bunny hope your job goes well and that you get your homework done. I am proud of you girl. YOu are sticking with it and hanging tough. Way to go.

well ladies, hubby just brought in supper. So I am off to eat Yall have a wonderful evening.
love to you all,
Tammy

Ps. thanks for all the prayers for my dear hubby yesterday in the accident. We will talk to insurance tomorrow.

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  5:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Miranda, don't you like how cats just play with "nothing"? I think it's hilarious :). Great entertainment lol. Sorry to hear about your family & friends passings. {{{hugs to you}}}

Bunny, you'll get used to it. I think a lot of it is overkill, but I also know that they "have" to do all that stuff b/c of stupid people. A tip with plastic gloves - put your hands under water & shake them off gently, then put the gloves on. If your hands aren't perfectly dry, then they'll stick & rip. If you can handle a bit of water, it's not too bad then. But yeah. I hated wearing plastic gloves all the time, especially when you're busy & you have to change them a lot!

Judy - so sorry to hear about your aunt's passing. Hugs & prayers for you & your Mom.

Tammy - glad you only get 2 work days this week - I love short weeks! I think they should have mandatory 4 day work weeks & 3 day weekends all the time. And if it's a 3 day wknd, then you get a 4 day wknd. Oh wouldn't that be nice?? Glad to hear your hubby's alright too!

The Station used to have a website (not that it really told you or showed you much of anything b/c it was constantly changing), but it's not there anymore :(. Right now, it's all Christmas-y. Different color schemes of Christmas-y stuff - darker greens & reds, silver & white (which I am really drawn to right now!), some blues. Lots of little things that I haven't seen anywhere else. I'll try to add some pictures (or links to pictures b/c I don't want to take up a lot of space, we'll see how it works) of my "Station finds"....Finally getting it working - it's taking awhile! Alright, here it is!
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/22angel/Station%20Finds/

I made some Shepherd's Pie tonight...not quite the same as before, but I changed it a little. Tastes alright, just not the same. I'll leave some for all of ya who don't cook or only cook for one (b/c who wants to do that & then eat it for the rest of the week??). Enjoy! Ok, I think I need to go finish my laundry, make my bed & finish my activities for this week coming up before it's bedtime!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

Edited by - 22angel on Nov 20 2011 5:21:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  7:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Miranda, welcome to the porch! I hope you find it welcoming and a good place to come everyday!
I wish I had time to catch up, but I have a few more things to do for school, and I want to make sure I get enough sleep, too! I hope everyone has beautiful Mondays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bunny -

I don't know if it would be allowed with your work with food, but I have to wear those gloves sometimes for my job too, and sprinkling a little talcum powder or maybe for you baking soda in them sure helps them slide on easier. Maybe you could check and see if you can do this. Good luck with the job.

Hugs to everybody else - really busy here with my new job duties and hours, plus my mama from Vermont is here with me for a week.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  08:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Tammy - glad to hear everybody was okay. Seriously, who would wreck a truck intentionally? That's just silly your BIL would even think that. I'm totally in agreement about being a die-heart Jane fan and not reading the imitation ones that have come out.

Bunny - I'm sure you'll adjust. It's always rough when we start things that are so far off our normal routines.

Busy weekend. Saturday I had to run errands and pick up some yarn supplies. The crazy way they do coupons at JoAnn's now forced me to take the man with so he could use one of my coupons since they only allow one coupon per person per day. Crazy. I'm well stocked on yarn now for the time being all bought at 40-60% off. I received a text coupon from JoAnns and the cashier gave me a bit of an attitude over using it in addition to my printed coupon because she didn't want to read it off my phone. If I hadn't needed the yarn so bad I might have said forget it and gone someplace else with a better attitude. The holiday season is just starting and if they've got an attitude already it's not going to be good.

Sunday I spent a good portion of my day putting plastic on the windows to help winterize them. He's never done it, just put up storm windows, so we'll see if it helps this year. Last year I could feel breezes coming through the front picture window while sitting on the couch so it needed something. Between doing the windows and our putting the blown in insulation in the attic hopefully our heating bills won't be so bad. While I was working on that I made a pot of venision chili and had it simmering. Yummo! Still had some cornbread from the other night when I made shepherds pie so I crumbled that on top of the chili, sprinkled it with cheese, and added a glob of sour cream. Heavenly :O) The man wanted a dessert yesterday for some reason. His choices were sponge cake or pound cake with store bought frosting smeared on them (yuk) or chocolate pudding pie. I chose the chocolate pudding pie and used an Oreo cookie premade crust with my chocolate mousse filling and then grated a Hershey Chocolate bar over the top of it and served it up with homemade whipped cream. Pretty tasty if I do say so :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Tammy...OF COARSE IT WAS TASTY...IT WAS CHOCOLATE!

Heeheehee!
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Miranda. Welcome.
Sounds like we all had busy weekends.
Temps dropped to 0 on Friday and did not get up past 0 all day so I knew that Sat was going to be a cold one. My DD and I did the little church bazaar I had signed us up for and it went well, we actually were able to make booth space and a small profit. The house was so cold on the weekend that I can barely keep the lower living room warm. On Sunday after church temps came up to -5 so got to work with a can of spray foam. In the water room I discovered part of my problem, one corner has sunk pulling the wall away from the main house wall and allowing cold air to seep in. The young man who was trying to correct his uncle’s error in not putting foam board insulation around the main water feed pipe evidentially compromised the foundation of my water room. This did not become apparent until the ground froze. Another spring project.
Bunny, working in the food area can be a real challenge, much like the medical field. You are organized or you wouldn’t be able to do such lovely work. You will get the hang of it all.
Kim, computers are interesting to work with, I think they have the intelligence of a two year old, they can feel like a terrible two at times. Keep up the good work.
Prayers for health and safety for us all. Blessings one and all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Glad I had a few minutes to stop by. I've been busy working and making hats. I also got a bee in my bonnet about the playroom closet. When we moved here it was our catch-all closet and that I was going to organize later. Well, 4 years later and I'm just now getting to it. It's a double door walk in closet so there's quite a bit of stuff. Lots of tossing things. Since I haven't looked at it in 4 years, I figure most of it can go. I'm using some of the new space to expand my pantry. The one in the kitchen just isn't big enough.

Miss Miranda! I remember saying hello to you at some point on another thread. I'm just down the highway from you. I love to go into Austin and stop on South Congress. I like eating at the Magnolia Cafe and browsing the yarn at Hill Country Weavers. Just send me a message if you ever want to meet.

Kim- So glad you got your computer. They are so much fun. DH and I are negotiating a new computer right now. It's kind of funny. He mentioned it a week ago. Then today I mentioned the Black Friday sales. However, I'd like to buy online and not stand in the crazy lines. So now it'll be his turn to decide what he wants to do. Kind of like we have to get used to the idea first before we act on it. The one I'm on now is a netbook and acts so terrible. So hopefully we will be able to find a new one and this one can be set up for DD to have her "own" computer. She's been asking since she was 4 for a phone, iTouch, and computer. Crazy kid!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com

Edited by - FarmDream on Nov 21 2011 1:19:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I met a man in my shop one day that was from Minnesota. It gets pretty darn cold there and he was telling me they had window quilts they would put up in the winter. I guess they would make a sort of frame and attach the quilt to it and shove it into the window. On nice days they would remove them. I would think it would make the house pretty dark, but would keep out the drafts.

Cherime, that's just too darn cold! I can handle about 17degrees pretty easy. But past that, just no more fun. You could just unplug the fridge and use the cold part of the house. I would probably just heat one room really toasty and avoid the rest of the house most of the time. I don't know how you do it.

Luanne, we go through gloves so many times during the day and I wash my hands every time I walk out of the cutting area. It wouldn't be possible to put stuff on my hands. I am learning to just make sure they are very dry before putting on the gloves.

I have to say one thing really bothers me big time. I'm sure any of you that have worked in food service before can relate. We throw away so much food! I wish there was a soup kitchen in town that could pick it up and use it to feed people at night. There is a large homeless population that lives by the railroad tracks. With all the food that gets tossed in a day, those people could get a pretty good meal once a day. In large cities in California we had a program called "second harvest". Restaurants and grocery stores would allow them to take the food each day to feed the homeless and hungry at local soup kitchens. I'm so sad we don't have something like that here.

Anyway, I'm pooped at the end of my shift for sure. Friday is my first day alone and they said I'll probably be stressed and panic a bit. But to take it in stride as everyone does their first day alone.

Off to veg and watch some Netflix. Cup o Earl Grey and Cheetos will put me right back in order.

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  8:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Bunny, I do agree that we waste a lot of food in this country, and it's a shame because if we were able to somehow get it to a soup kitchen, so many people wouldn't have to do without. I hope that you start to feel less stressed as your time at your new job goes on!
Miss Peggy, I love Christmas shopping! I don't do hardcore black-Friday shopping, but next weekend, my Mom, Grandma and I have plans to go to the big mall and get some good deals! It's one of our favorite traditions, and it makes me feel like a black-Friday shopper without actually going black-Friday shopping.
I only have one more real day of school, and then Wednesday is movie day where we go to the movies for free as a before-Thanksgiving treat! I'm pretty pumped for the break! Also, today we got our order forms for class rings, and I already have mine designed and everything! It was just a good day! I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  9:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Megan, thanks for the memories!!! You mentioned class rings and it took me back. My parents spoilt me when I graduated. I got the jacket, the ring, a guitar and luggage. :D All because I lived to graduate and now I'm so old it's hard to believe I wasn't supposed to live that long. :P

Bunny, the waste in this country disgusts me. I know I've been guilty of it myself but I hate it and try to make sure there's a use for everything. If my dog can't eat it my chickens or my worms can!!! This weekend we were made aware of a couple of families who are in bad shape and needed food so the ladies in the church went shopping. I don't think they'll be hungry any time soon. I tell you what, for such a small church it is one giving church.

Working on my children's Christmas pageant. Whew. I've never directed something before so I'm feeling like I'm way in over my head. AAAAAAH. But like I said this isn't a broadway production this is a small community church CHILDREN'S Christmas pageant so it just needs to be fun for the kids. So long as they enjoy doing it and the Word is sent out that's all that matters. And hey, the more the kids mess up the cuter it is, right? ;)

My dear porchies please keep praying. I don't feel like I can talk about it yet but I desperately need your prayers.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  07:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Hahaha! FarmDream I have seen a few friendly faces across several different threads!

I don't hang out on Congress like I used to, mostly for the Lonestar Roundup with my "brothers". But, there are some cool shops down there!! There's a place right at.... um... some side street south of Gibson? HA! and I have JUST gone blank on the name, but there is a big jackrabbit swinging a lasso on the top of the store. I went in there this past April to kill some time along with the rest of the Rockabillies, and found some REALLY cool stuff! The guys at the counter found out I do beadwork, and one of them nearly peed himself showing me a hand beaded clutch that had not been assembled. The prices were INSANELY cheap! There was a sofa set that all of us kept looking at... made in the 1940s but looked like new, and I could not figure out why everyone was walking away... till I saw the sold sign. The set was less than $500!

Maybe we'll have to meet up on Congress and kick around. I have not been to Magnolia (isn't that sad? I grew up here!) but I normally go to Jo's and have a coffee and pulled pork frito pie.

OK I better stop before my tummy growls out loud!! I'm at work!!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  09:46:55 AM  Show Profile
OK My Porchies...I was on here last night, typed a long (but obviously not long enough) note to everyone, using sticky notes (to be on the safe side...so I wouldn't loose what I typed to the computer witch...who snatches words right off the boards and flies away with them....anyway, I copied my post and pasted it into the message box...and low and behold, it was the post from the day before. That is a new one!!! But of coarse I didn't feel like redoing it and I had already deleted the sticky notes. Grrrf! I hate that wicked Cyber Witch!

Cherime...cold days and nights your way girl. Brrr! Don't think I would like those temps. We are having a very windy and rainy day and night...with flood alerts in our area. They are saying possibly 3 inches of rain today. I think I am staying in and getting some much needed crafting done. My DH has the day off but he has 2 medical appointments. I think I will pass on going and holding his hand today. lol

Julie...how did the Pantry turn out? I bet you won't even miss that stuff that you got rid of...but the extra grocery space will be a blessing. ~ Iam with you on Netbooks...they are more trouble than they are worth. I ended up giving my oldest grand-daughter mine. She always used it when she came to visit.

Still making kids hats????

Miss Miranda...sounds like you and Julie are pretty close to each other. I have one farmgirl, Pam who lives over in Portland (I've adopted her because her mom died about 11 yrs ago), but anyway...we meet everyonce in awhile at out favorite Antiques Mall over in Portland and have lunch and shop. It is always fun! In fact we are going to be doing that again the first weekend in Dec. So, let me encourage you to plan some time to meet with Julie. It is so much fun to have mutual interests to discuss and before you know it you are fast friends.

Kimberly...how is your computer working out for you? Are you having fun with it? Getting that Resume put together? Kimberly and Megan...talking about class rings...I never got one...too expensive. BUT back then...you only got to choose the stone on it and whether it would be real gold or Sterling Silver. My oldest son when he designed his...he had a cross put on each side. It looked really cool! I think it is great that you get to design your own ring these days.

Bunny...other than all the food regulations and those terrible gloves you have to fight with...I bet you will start enjoying your job soon. I loved working retail during the Holidays. Even though it could bring out the worst in some customers...I loved the hype and business. All the Christmas Music Playing, the good smells of the Season etc.
The cheetos sounded like a great de-stresser from your day. I would have had to dip them in chocolate to make that work for me. lol

Megan...have fun Christmas Shopping with your Mom and grandma on Saturday! ~ I had a blast yesterday. Spent way too much money...but the stores weren't busy or crowded and that is how I like it. I must admit that I like to do Stocking-Stuffer Shopping about a week before Christmas...just to join in the hustle and bustle of the Holiday Madness for a little bit. That is my little fix of insanity and then I am good for another year. LOL

RFM Tammy...it is funny that you mentioned putting plastic over the windows, because my youngest son and I were talking about that the other day. I was telling him that we all had to do that in older homes during the winter...he just sort of looked at me like I was an alien and that couldn't possibly be true here on planet earth. LOl

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a young woman about 10 years ago...and I refererd to window-shades...and she had no clue what I was talking about. I'm serious!

Miss Miranda...I have never had pulled pork frito pie but I am thinking it would probably be a favorite of mine. It just sounds yummy! How is it made?

Well, I am off to wrap some christmas gifts for a couple swaps I am doing. I will check back in on The Porch later. Have a Wonderful Day!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 22 2011 09:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Porch People

Tammy (MI) Iam sorry DD has bronchitis. I hope by the time you get this post she is better. I will keep her in my prayers. Sick at this time of year is no fun

Kimberly awesome job with setting everything up. I still holler for help when I need it. My kids know so much more than I do about computers. Thats ok. I tell them it is pay back for all the years of hschool work I helped with.
Yes god can do anything I am praying every morning for your marriage to work out. God can and does do miricles. We just just have to believe.
Pam Thanks for the brownies. Like Peggy I needed a chocolate fix.

Welcome Miranda we are a fun and caring group. Drop by the porch any time

I need to drop my DD off to work and get back to work myself

Dianne (ID
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Peggy, the pulled pork Frito pie is AWESOME. I am so Texan, I'm normally a purist on our state foods, HAHA! I'd never tried it till a fellow generational Texan suggested it. I walk back to our big huge table with this white paper box in hand, he smiles and tells me to open it. I opened it up and found about 9 lbs. of cheese melting atop 12 lbs. of pulled pork atop 3 lbs. of Fritos. And, there was a bit of cheese melting beneath those lovely nasty Fritos, too. The box looked tiny but I swear, it must have had a hole to the Frito Pie dimention because I kept eating and never made it to the last bite! Kind of like Snoopy's house or something!

Dear Lord, I am hungry now... HAHA!

And for those of you having massive rains, feel free to send it our way! We had a good heavy rain late last night/early this morning, but it's not enough to bring the lakes back up There's a restaurant on the edge of Lake Travis called Steiner Ranch Steakhouse, and when we first started hanging out there, we could see a good bit of the shore from the seating area on a cliff (yes, wonderous view... though I am dreadfully afraid of heights). The last time I went out, maybe a year or so ago, there was a puddle left It's almost desperate!

Well, back to the grind. Have some paperwork to finish, and another hour of listening to my own belly growl! Talk to y'all in a minute, as my uncle says!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  2:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Just drop by to let everyone know I'm still kicking.....hope to stop by tomorrow since all my barters and swaps, except Christmas card swap will be completed. I am finished with my cards but have to make envelopes now...hope everyone is doing well...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Porch Peolpe

I am back at least for a little while. They are predicting snow again. Last time we had a little flurry and that was it.
I am hoping for snow!! I think the Good Lord is holding off on the snow because we still have some things outside that need done.
Maybe after this week we will get snow. Our plans are to finish things up outside. We will see.

Tammy I am sorry about the accident. I am glad no one was hurt. Trucks can be easily fixed or replaced, people are not so easy.

Bunny you will get the hang of all the rules and stuff. It just seems kind of over whelming at first. You are awesome for working and going to school.
That is hard to do. I will be praying for you.I have worked in food service and yes they throw away too much food. It is because people are sue happy.
If they gave it to a soup kitchen or something and someone got sick they could be in a lot of legal trouble. Silly but true.

Tammy your JoAnns only lets you use one coupon per day? Mine has a different attitude. They ask for coupons. They even ask if thats the only one you have.
The other day I was in buying buttons and the lady went through the flyer for me because she said I missed a coupon I could use. Danged if she didn't find one too.

Miranda I'm with Peggy that Pulled Pork Frito Pie soundy great. But then, I like puuled pork and fritos, so whats not to like.

Ok I think I have read everyones posts now. It is not a good idea to be away for more than a day. You get way way behind. My DH just laughs at me when I say I am behind
on my posts. He says he knew I liked to talk but am I so desperate that I have to talk to people on the computer. I told him if he talked more I would talk to him. Remember mama
worning you about the quiet ones? I should have listened. Nah! I love him just the way he is.

I have 3 more scarves to finish for my gkids and then one to do for my GF. I am doing hers with her favorite teams colors. She will love it. She is one of those crazy fans you hear
about that have every thing in their teams colors. She is lots of fun to be around.

I need to get off here and finish dinner. Home made chicken noodle soup. Yes the noodles are home made too. I remember my oldest DD. The one who swore she would marry someone who would
be rich so she could hire a cook and a made. ROFLOL! She called me and asked if I knew what noodles Gma used to make the noodles at Thanksgiving. I said she made them from scratch.
There was silence on the phone and then a big sigh. Well can you tell me how to make them. She finally asked. It was all I could do to keep from laughing when I gave her the recipe.
Children make life interesting, even when they are all grown up.

Dianne(ID)
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  4:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Just coming inside from the garden. I stopped by Gardenville and picked up seeds and their last bunch of transplantable onions. They do really well here all through the winter, but planting a hundred of them is hard work. Tomorrow I'll plant some peas, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, lettuce, and a sorrel plant. I dug out DD's crib and will use the sides and bottom metal frame for a trellis for the peas.

I got the cupcake hat shipped off to a farmgirl. Here's a pic because she comes around here sometimes.

Peggy, the pantry turned out well. Now I can see exactly what I have and how much. Now, how to get rid of those extra paintings that were in the closet... Solve one problem and create another.

Miranda, I think I know of the place you're talking about. I almost went to Jo's last week.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, porchies, it's a lovely evening out there...very mild & the wind went down. I think I'm going to bed early tonight. I learned my lesson last night not to eat oreos before bed! I woke up at some weird time dreaming about a man who wanted to kill me b/c he had stolen my wallet & I called him on it. And I was with my nephew (who was like 4 or 5) & he still wanted to kill me & I was all like "you can't kill me, I have a kid here!". So yeah. Teach me to eat unhealthy food before bed!

My mom & my aunt phoned me tonight to tell me that a "relative", Aunty Enid, passed away today. She raised my dad during his teenage years (due to family difficulties), so we just called her "aunty Enid", b/c she said we had enough grandma's. Very sad. And I feel bad b/c I haven't been to see her for so long :(. I had an idea that I could go visit her after church one Sunday, and I should have done it last weekend, but I was a little busy, and I wanted to make sure that it was ok with her and/or what day & time would work best for her. And now I won't be able to. Bleh. So unfair.

Still haven't heard anything about my friend in Colorado who is having her baby at some point today/tonight. She was getting induced, something that I'm not in total agreement with, but it's not my choice & she was fine with it. Hopefully it will be good news when I wake up tomorrow.

I think it's kind of weird how for the past few years, people have died & others have had babies on the same day. Odd.

Sorry I'm not responding to all of the posts, I'm just not in a posting mood tonight. And I'm tired. So I'm going to head off to bed. Night all.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  04:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Tea Swap Partners, The tea is in the mail! Sorry that it took so long. Hope you enjoy a cuppa sitting beside a crackling fire. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page