Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does anyone know about old bottles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone know about old bottles? Next Topic  

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  06:01:35 AM  Show Profile
I have an old #33 amber brown quart bottle made my the Hood Chemical Co. Inc. out of Pittsburgh PA. I cant find out anything about the bottle I have tried to find one like it online and have found some #33 bottles but none made by Hood. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate the advice.Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile
I started digging up bottles on our farm this year in some old trash piles and privies on the place. Curious about the history behind them, etc. I googled "old bottles" or something like that and came across some forums and websites devoted to old bottles. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the forum I joined; it's been awhile since I did; but as a member I was balr to post pics. and get info from people who know their bottles. Hope this helps!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  04:55:00 AM  Show Profile
I had gotten a book out at the library once that listed prices for Ball canning jars and others - I do remember the Hood name. But I cannot remember the name of the book.

Here is a list of books for bottle collectors: http://www.antiquebottles.com/books.html Maybe you can find one at your local library.

My dh was working at an old building in downtown Chicago and tore out a wall. Inside was an old whiskey bottle. The cork is inside the bottle. We wonder about that bottle - if it has any value. (also wonder about the person - they were obviously drinking on the job and stuck the bottle in the wall before they plastered the wall up!)

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  05:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow Deb that is a bottle to wonder about, I had not thought about going to the library, sometimes I wonder if my brain is even fuctioning! Thank you I will try that.
Hosanna, I will try and see what I can pull up, Thank you! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hilaryennis
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Hilary
Frederica DE
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Did you find out anything about the bottle? I have the same bottle - I found it in the woods in an old trash pile on our farm. I havent been able to find anything about it on the internet except here. I cant even find anything about a company by that name in PA.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  6:46:24 PM  Show Profile
This looks very informative:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm

Go to the home page, too :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile
My folks found one that was oblong back when they first purchased their victorian house. It doesn't have a base to stand up like the base of a regualr bottle. I forget what it was used for.

It was unearthed in the back yard.

you have to look hard, but there are some great antique bottles at flea markets.

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  04:45:30 AM  Show Profile
No Hilary, I dont think I ever found out about the bottle and we had a house fire shortly after that post and so it is now gone. But the web site that Amanda put on does look interesting. Maybe something will be on it. Let me know if you find out anything.
Anna, yes I have found many old bottles at flea markets but like you said some are hard to find. I have a few I plan to list on my etsy soon that I found here and there. So many are chipped and broken its hard to find good ones,but with determination you can find them. I'd love the see that one you folks found it sounds like a good one for sure! Blessings, Karen

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone know about old bottles? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page