Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  6:09:02 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited. Today my DH finished my greenhouse. It took him a week. I helped but he did 90% of it. This is a start to the dream of selling locally grown produce and bedding plants. I can't wait to get in there and start. It is 24 feet by 8 feet lean to style and shelves down each side hung on a chain and hinged so the shelf can flip down and the garden box on the ground under the shelf can be used for growing after my seed trays are done. I'm going to try cantaloupe and see what happens. This week I will be starting my lettuce.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Good for you! We have no space for a greenhouse around here, but I can still dream! :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: Jan 31st ~ Heather Smith Thomas, author of "Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle" and "Storey's Guide to Raising horses" If you like horses or cattle, JOIN US!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Ingrid with the Greenhouse. Keep us posted on what's growing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  04:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Ingrid, on your greenhouse. DH has had several over the years and currently building a new one that is 20x80.
He plans on growing vegetables, perennials and ornamental grasses for sale. You may be busier than you can imagine!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  05:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
How exciting for you! Have fun with it!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid and Carol,
We have been looking for a used greenhouse without much luck. Did you and DHs design yours or use a plan from some other source? Can we see pictures?

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile
He just designed his himself but if you look online - Mother Earth News is a good one - there are instructions in their archives. Good Luck.

Go to Top of Page

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:56:42 AM  Show Profile
It sounds wonderful! Enjoy your new greenhouse! I bet you will have all kinds of tasty and beautiful things!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:15:47 PM  Show Profile
How exciting to be able to fullfill a desire like this one! I am hoping to make a small, shed size one in the back corner of my yard.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile
At one time we had 4 very large ones. The grow lights are a real help in them to germinate your seeds. Putting the plants in trays keeps them well organized and the seed starter packs if plastic can be cleaned and reused. Peat pots of course are great too . We had a form of strong chicken wire fencing on our benches, the water will go right through. The best help of course is proper media a good mix of peat and perlite and some times vermiculite too. Certain plants need a touch of sand too, cautus and succulents need a bit more. The fertilizer is important of course. The main things with many seedlings is to keep them watered but not overwatered, many are very susceptable to damp off. In which case they rot right at the base of the plant.Oh my gosh here you have a little green house and I get rambling on like you are going to be a commercial grower!! Sorry, I guess it just stays in your blood! Good luck and I hope you have good results and a lot of fun!!P.S. my husband designed and built all of them.He's pretty handy.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Jane for your input. It always is great to hear about ways to make things successful. Who knows maybe one day we will become commercial. Depends on the demand.

Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Susan: DH designed the first greenhouse he built--and learned a lot about how to do one the right AND wrong way, lol!! His next 3 were from a place in Tennessee (I think). They transported and put them up. Then he got out of the business and sold them all locally. Couldn't stay away from it so he's starting again. This greenhouse is from Premium Horticulture in Louisville, Kentucky. Ingrid, you never know about becoming commercial sooner than you think!! DH started growing ornamental grasses 11 years ago and was profitable the first year (much to our surprise). Seems to be a lot of interest in home grown these days, and his current interest is produce although past customers have asked for the grasses and perennials again so he'll do some of those, too. Good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid...I'll be watching your posts carefully! My daughter is building me a greenhouse in her Ag class. It's 12x8 feet and I'm soooo excited. Anxious to hear how things go with you, Ingrid, especially since we're in similar locals :)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile
After reading these posts I feel like I've been to a seminar on greenhouses!! Thanks ladies.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I put in a greenhouse this year to grow our produce all year, and I love it. You might want to pick up Eliot Coleman's book The Winter Harvest. It will give you some ideas on what to do with the greenhouse in your off season. No need to just use it in the spring.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Ingrid -- it's been a few weeks. How's the greenhouse doing? I'm with Michelle. I feel like I've been to a workshop, too. And it just inspires me to talk with my dh in hopes that he'll be willing to build me one, as well! Have you got it filled up yet?

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic A New Greenhouse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page