DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  10:45:01 PM  Show Profile
I **LOVE** the umbrella stand idea - what a smart guy! I wonder if that would withstand Oklahoma wind?

I'm seriously considering building my own wooden clothesline posts. The Vermont Country Store website sells the ones pictured below, and they're gorgeous but I'm a) somewhat broke and b) impatient! My Dad and I made shutters for my house out of fence pickets and they look adorable, but that's about the extent of my carpentry so far.

Has anybody attempted this?

I also found blue, yellow, and pink clothesline online, it's actually not priced too bad. My house is blue so I might just splurge on pastel blue clothesline if I can pull the wooden post project off!

This my very first post. :D

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  06:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amanda and welcome!!!! I would love to have a colored clothesline, how cool would that be???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  06:11:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, wow. What a great idea. If it ever stops raining here, gonna to the clothesline thing myself. Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile
If you have a welding shop in your area, they possibly could make you some metal posts. You would need to put them in concrete so that they would be secure. I have had mine for almost 38 years now. They need a coat of paint from time to time. I use the plastic coated wire for the lines. They last a long time as well.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  10:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Mine came with my house, and I didn't always use them. I do have to restring them this year as the cotton ones droop too far down to be worth while.
I switched from the plastic pins to wood ones. The plastic ones just break too easy.
I haven't been able to use mine as much as I would like. The rain stops for a day or so here and there, but are usually work days. Just one weekend day that I don't already have booked up with something would be nice to get all caught up.
I love mine, because of the smell and environmental reasons, but also it makes it easier to catch up on laundry.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  05:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Along the lines of colored clothesline, I saw a camo print clothesline online somewhere. I just might get it. ;)

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Well I did it! It's just a make do clothesline between 3 trees in the yard but I LOVE it! Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  6:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Go Lea! Hey, if you've got the trees, use 'em.

This is a link to the colored clothesline: http://tinyurl.com/6443wn
It takes you to an online store with a really long name, so tinyurl.com is easier
(No camo though! That's hilarious, must be for hunters?)

I think I am going to attempt to build a wooden clothesline soon - it looks like it can't be too hard. Two 4x4s and some hooks, and a few 4x2s for cross-braces. Probably not the technical term!
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile
http://www.clotheslineshop.com

This web site (ClotheslineShop)has a system I'm interested in which is the pulley-type clothesline. I'd like to be able to stand on my kitchen porch, pin on a garment, reel out the line, pin on the next and so on using clothesline and pulleys. These remind me of pictures of clotheslines strong way up high between apartment buildings in decades past.

Today was a full day of high, blustery winds here in Atlanta --- too bad my towels weren't out on a line!

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Ooops! I lied earlier, it's not the Vermont Country Store that makes the pretty wooden clotheslines, it's the Vermont Clothesline Company. http://www.smartdrying.com/

They sell the post style and the umbrella style. The umbrella one looks really nice too.

Anyway still determined to build mine this weekend. I'm ordering the blue clothesline too. :D

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
We asked around and found someone with big T metal poles in their backyard that they didn't want or use. You might ask around, I know 2 families off the top of my head that have nice metal poles in their backyards that they don't even use! Plain crazy I know!! We just put some in our yard yesterday! The local mom & pop hardware store had clothesline wire and sturdy clothes pins!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic How to make a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page