New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Square foot gardening Next Topic  

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  04:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried square foot gardening? I just got the book from a friend and I am quite fascinated. Space is not limited for me but time is and this looks like it would be much easier to manage.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  06:37:31 AM  Show Profile
I did a square foot garden last summer. I have very limited space. I loved it. You don't have to weed or hoe a long row. You get more produce in a square foot garden. I will be doing it again this summer.
Farmgirl Kim
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I started it last year with two beds, and quickly went to four. I love it. My garden is large, and it has become overwhelming, but with the raised beds much more manageable. I plan to put in several more if it the snow ever melts! Good luck, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:16:58 PM  Show Profile
I did a modified version last year and it was so much easier than long rows!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I love square foot gardening, and my family did it for a couple of years, before we had lots of space. (Well, we did have plenty of space, but we were also trying to do pigs, chickens, and cows! LOL) I really loved that kind of gardening better, but since we've moved and now have pretty much unlimted space, everyone else wants looong rows. Why, I have no idea!
I'm doing some herbs this year, so maybe I can talk the guys into making me a few beds for my stuff!
~Kayla

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

redbud
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Christine
Luther Oklahoma
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  7:41:48 PM  Show Profile
My husband bought me the book today and I am going to try it this year. It looks really easy and a lot less work than the traditional type gardening!

to everything there is a season, a time to every purpose under heaven
http://christine-88stitches.blogspot.com
http://myoklahomagarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I follow it and love it. MaryJanesFarm magazine did an article on it as well last year and many of the Maven farmgirls tested it out... I will always follow this I suspect as I love the results I got.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

Laur
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Laurie
Boonville MO
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Square foot gardening is wonderful, John Jeavons has some great books on bio-intensive growing too that can help maximize output, sustainability, etc. Lots of info! Bountiful Gardens I believe is the website. Raised bed are great for kids, mine little ones were thrilled with their own little beds, and now I smile as my middle son talks about gardening with his new baby girl. First thing he did after getting their new home settled it was to reconstruct several raised beds and fill them with compost, he's asking about how soon Ellie can eat what kinds of veggie:)!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I planted a winter garden yesterday and utilized square foot gardening for the lettuces, spinach, radishes and turnips. The peas still went in rows separated by trellises.

I don't have the book but may have to look into getting it. I just looked at the website for recommendations on "spacing." I plan on using square foot gardening for the summer garden as well. I have wanted to try this for years and this thread inspired me!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE square foot gardening! We live at the top of a very rocky hill, and have next to no topsoil. We get tons of veggies from our beds, and it's easy for our girls to help when they can easily see what's garden and what's not. We're planning on expanding our # of beds this year to have more to sell at the farmer's market. I don't think I'd ever garden any other way again. Have fun with it!

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  07:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I too love to square foot garden! It has been great for our backyard space! We started with one bed and now have 4. They are so easy to maintain! I love not having to break up hard dirt and dig up pesky weeds! I literally just pull weeds out of the dirt if they appear. There generally aren't many!
My only thing I'm frustrated with is the space for melons and pumpkins. I think that I need a bed just for these large things as they do take over and need a lot more space.
Happy Gardening!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  10:24:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sonshine4u

My only thing I'm frustrated with is the space for melons and pumpkins. I think that I need a bed just for these large things as they do take over and need a lot more space.
Happy Gardening!

Playing in the Sonshine

I've not tried it,yet, but I did read that you can plant them (melons & pumpkins) at the front of your beds and let the vines grow along your paths. Let me know if it works!

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I tried to trellis my melons last year, but the summer was too wet and cold for them to get big enough, quick enough.

My pumpkins did trellis over the edge, but because my boxes are in my backyard where the kids play and where we mow the lawn, it became problematic for the vines to be outside the box.

This year I tried digging straight into the dirt along our fence line so they could trellis up the fence. I don't think I worked the dirt enough for them to have a good go at it, plus the bees weren't around early enough for them to get pollinated at the right time. I had a pumpkin set on in early September! It was almost comical! This year I'll be planting more bee friendly flowers to help with the pollination woes! It's all a learning adventure!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

tawandasister
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Sadiemae
Wolcottville Indiana
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  7:11:14 PM  Show Profile
When you fill the raised beds, do you line the bottom with anything in particular? Cardboard or newspaper?
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Treadle
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Leigh-Ann
Northwest Mississippi
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  8:00:26 PM  Show Profile
I tried square-foot gardening with 2 beds last year and I loved it!! We're building probably 4 more this year. I loved not having to weed huge rows. I agree with my sister (Ms. Hannigan). I don't think I'll garden any other way again.

Blessings,
Leigh-Ann

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary. ~Mary Kurtz

Edited by - Ms. Treadle on Feb 26 2010 8:01:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Tawandasister~you can use cardboard or newspaper underneath. Just don't use colored newsprint.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Ms_Ed
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Edwina
Murfreesboro TN
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Ms_Ed a Yahoo! Message
Does any one have pictures? I currently garden in boxes... curious about this.

Edwina Shannon
Live, love, learn, think, give, laugh, try
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  07:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Ms-Ed~
If you go to my blog, I have all sorts of pictures of my garden from last year and if you scroll far enough, you'll see my tutorial on a cheap way to grid your square foot garden.

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Ms_Ed
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Edwina
Murfreesboro TN
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  7:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Ms_Ed a Yahoo! Message
I went to your blog. How awesome. Your pictures of your produce are great. Thank you for sharing. What is called square foor gardening here, we have referred to as raised bed gardening. We've been doing it for years. It's a great way to improve soil. I like your fence idea. I may adopt it. Thanks,again, e.

Edwina Shannon
Live, love, learn, think, give, laugh, try
Go to Top of Page

criley
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Connie
Eldon MO
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  2:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone on this topic string still square foot gardening?

Coni in MO

Livin' the Life of Riley

Edited by - criley on May 04 2022 2:54:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Square foot gardening
I believe I will try this. I am elderly,78, and getting down on the ground is next to impossible and getting up is not too pretty either. I don't want a big garden just a tomato or two, some cucumbers, green beans and pumpkins. That sounds do-able. My son is coming up from Ft. Worth so I just might suggest this project! I do have a Mantas that will help get the dirt up. What a Wonderful idea! Thank you ladies! Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Sister#4076
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  3:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I sorta do square foot gardening with raised beds 1' X 8' and 4 galvanized tubs. Raised beds and tubs are set on cinder blocks. I'm 80 so like you I no longer can bend over without getting dizzy or get down on my knees. I have Star of David okra growing in 2 tubs and mix-zinnias in the other two. Herbs in the raised beds.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile
I sort of do this. Our ground here is clay so basically everything I grow is above ground in raised beds. I have done this for quite a few years and really enjoy it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Square foot gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page