Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic
Page: of 17

Grammygail
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Gail
Chattanooga Tennessee
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Rae, what a great idea to keep the topic going as we continue through the women of the Bible. There will be late joiners and that will give them an opportunity to join in and not feel like they are behind. I anxiously look forward to all comments on Eve and yes, we do discover more as we go along. Thank you so much for getting this started! Hope it will continue to grow.

Farmgirl #61
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  3:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys! It seems that I have kind of a different idea on this reading. I think that this reading may have started sexism a little. God told Adam that he would rule over the women, which means that that woman was inferior to the man. I know this is different, but just a little bit of perspective.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  3:49:41 PM  Show Profile
After God created Adam, God says that something is not good, not right, that something is missing...Eve. I don't think that women are inferior to men, I think that they are the final work of God. His creation was complete after he made Eve as a partner for Adam.

~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  5:44:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm not saying that women are inferior to men, but that maybe that idea started when God told Adam that he would rule over the woman.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Interesting idea, I love this, will really make us think :-)

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  04:38:46 AM  Show Profile
My study Bible says= God made woman as a helper - this does not mean that woman are inferior to men or that they are designed merely to be assistants to men. The word helper may more accurately mean a strength or a power, and thus woman are comparable to men. Often God himself is designated by the term helper or strength (see for example Psalm 33:30) God therefore, made woman for the man as his equal and his match as a partner in life. She was taken from one of the man's ribs probably to show an interdependence. (it also says that in the language of Mesopotamia & Sumerian they have a word for rib that also means life)

I found that really interesting. I like to joke with my husband that men were made from dirt, but woman were made from flesh & bone.

Anyway, I was reminded while reading these passages that nothing surprises the Lord. He knows everything. He knew that Eve was going to fall and eat from the tree of knowledge, He knew she was going to give the fruit to Adam.... He knew it all. Everything is all part of His plan.

I'm pondering this..... as always.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  05:02:33 AM  Show Profile
The reason my thought was of the rib was to be side by side with man. Woman was not created from his foot to be stepped on, or part of his head so she leads, was from the rib his side. Just my take on it.

I really enjoy all the different takes on things and that is why I find it fun to study with others.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  08:20:51 AM  Show Profile
It is interesting to go to biblegateway.com and compare different translations.
This is how "The Message" translates vs. 16 of Chapter 3
16 He told the Woman:
"I'll multiply your pains in childbirth;
you'll give birth to your babies in pain.
You'll want to please your husband,
but he'll lord it over you."

Also note that God doesn't tell Adam that he will rule over Eve so much as he tells Eve that she has sort of given some of her rights away.
And while childbirth became a painful experience. God seems to give way more discipline to Adam. He bears more responsibility and shoulders more blame.
Just my thoughts.
Love digging in the Word with my farmgirl sisters!
blessings - staci
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  8:29:05 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful to our Lord for taking Adam's rib and making us (women)! I gave birth to one son, seven pounds, and never had pain. I had cramps, but no pain.
I am sure loving what everyone is posting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  05:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Also He makes the pain go away and we remember it no more! Isn't that great? I had 2 children naturally and was up walking in just a few minutes after birth. People were amazed. I had no reccollection of the pain. I did not have much but it is a distant memory. But then He always does that. With every trial or hardship, it hurts for awhile, then it passes. Thank you so much, Lord.

I love what Rae said. And that we are a helpmeet for our husbands. We do have input in everything but the man should have the final word. Then he becomes responsible not us. That's really hard for me. I have messed up several things for us at one time or another. But I am learning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  06:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing when we look back at some of the tough times in our lives and remember all the saddness or pain, yet the lessons that we have gotten during those times way out weigh the pain. Through all these trials what we have learned has helped us in our future. Be it learning to do something differently or when to just keep quiet and wait. We all know that he will answer our questions and prayers, in his time and what is best for us. It's the letting him take care to do what needs to be done, if only we could take that time to wait in peace knowing he is working on it at that time and we will be awarded with his gifts. He doesn't want us to suffer, he wants all good to come to us. It's just us needing to give him access to our love, belief and faith in him that his plan is best. I'm not sure how I got on to this, I guess maybe that he does take away the remembrance of the pain. Replaced with the joy he brings into our lives.
Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile
I think letting the husband have the final word is the hardest part of the marriage, for me anyway. I must say though most of the time is is a muutal agreement so don't why it is such an issue for me. Darn Eve

God certainly is good and out of the bad always comes something so wonderful that we do forget the pain and tears.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  9:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I've always heard that childbirth is the quickest forgotten pain. But, really, I had no pain. Went in the hospital at 10 AM and had a 7 lb baby at 10:31. No pain. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:59:49 AM  Show Profile
thought i could jump in too. great discussion.i want to jump to proverbs for one moment on this. when papa and i fell in love it was instant. absolutely instant and God given. my son and i had prayed and turned over to God weather we would have a new dad and mate or not.when he asked me to marry him he quoted proverbs. a capable wife who can find? she is a very industrious woman. i am a pushy driver personality. i am a control freak. papa lets me run my walk so to speak. i believe we are the icing on the cake. we complete him. the man. i do believe there can only be one decision maker in the end. that is papa. i am the info. gal etc.i have a strong inflence on his decisions and he respects me. i also believe if adam had not taken the fruit, eve would have been gone and a new woman would be there. i come to this by way of headship. God - Jesus - man - woman - animal. its my take on things. when God looked for them he talked to adam not eve. sherrye what do you think

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ya'll! I haven't been on the web as I picked up some stomach virus (a result of the "Fall") when visiting our granddaughters ...lowered me for 5 days! I have read this part of scripture over again, and read all your comments. I have a few things I'd like to share from the Genesis passage assigned:

1) All creatures, fruits etc, plus man were made from the dust of the ground. Woman was the only one made from something else (rib).
2) God told Adam about the garden and from which tree not to eat, before Eve was made.
3)Both the Tree of Life (in the midst..some translations say middle) & the Tree of the knowledge of good & evil were in the garden. God told Adam he could eat from any tree except the one of "good & evil."
4) Adam must have told Eve of God's instructions. He either told her incorrectly, or she interpreted it incorrectly, because when the serpent asked her about which trees she could eat...she said (3:3)not to eat or TOUCH the tree in the middle of the garden, but she saw it was pleasing.
5) She gave it to Adam. Why did he not refuse?
6) They for the first time became afraid to see God. He knew what they had done, & when questioned by God, Adam passed the buck onto Eve, who then blamed the serpent. Maybe if they had told the truth, & been open with God, banishment would not have happened...death, but not banishment. Adam, even blamed God..."the woman that You gave to me." Don't we tend to rationalize even today, when we know we are doing something we shouldn't. The sin of lying to God & to ourselves runs deep.

Now as far, as childbirth...my kids were born over 35 yrs ago...very hard delivery with #1, & an emergency C section (#2) because of the placenta partially blocking the uterine opening. Blood pressure down to 40 & in taking Joel, they knicked his cheek, that even today is a reminder that God spared us both that day. Nuff said.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by knittinchick

Hi everybody! For our little Bible Study group, our first theme is Women of the Bible. Below you will find the readings. We won't actually start posting and discussing them until the 20th, so until then, just read them and take notes about them. Anyone can join!
Reading 1: Genesis 2:18-3:20
Reading 2: Genesis 17:15-16; 21:1-7
Reading 3: Exodus 15:19-21
Reading 4: Judges chapters 4-5
Reading 5: Ruth
Reading 6: 1 Samuel 1:1-2:11
Reading 7: Esther Chapter 8
Reading 8: Luke 1:5-25, 57-66
Reading 9: Luke 1:26-2:20
Reading 10: Luke 2:36-38
Reading 11: John 20:1-18
Reading 12: John 11:1-44; 12:1-18
Reading 13: Acts of the Apostles 16:11-15; Chapter 18
Reading 14: Romans 16:1-7
Again, this is a lot of reading, so that's we're not to going to start discussing until at least the twentieth. Take your time, and can't wait to start!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Deb, I like your perspective. Women should not be inferior to men, but they should be considered an addition to men.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies Genesis 17:15-16, 21:1-7

I love Sarah and Abraham and the gift God gave them. I think this really shows the fact that "with God all things are possible." A son is something that they really wanted and even though they were getting up in years God blessed them just as he promised. That is another lesson, when God says he will bless you he will, at his time, which is always the right time.

Ok bring on your thoughts!! I am really enjoying this and learned a lot from the first reading already!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:30:32 AM  Show Profile
If it is okay with you all, I would like to read along on this thread and join in,too, if I have something to add. I enjoyed reading through the posts so far! On my shelf, I have a small bible study book called Women of the Bible from a class I took several years ago. I am getting it down to use along with the list of readings posted here. This will be great! I love the scriptures.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:06:03 AM  Show Profile
Anyone is welcome any time and please join in with comments, that is how we all learn!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the nudge Rae!
Imagine the faith and surprise of Sarah. Even though if her faith was really strong - should she have been surprised?..
I also love that it was okay that she laughed. (18:12)
In Luke 1:20, Zechariah was silenced 'til the birth of his son, John, just because he asked the angel, Gabriel, to explain how he would father a child in his old age.
(Sorry, to get off track into other scriptures but isn't it wonderful how God's word all ties together..??)

I know in our humanity it can be so hard to trust and wait...and wait...and wait...
I think God does things in this way so that we recognize that it is Him.
When we have no way of taking credit for it ourselves and have to acknowledge that is Him and His power.

Love to hear from some others...
staci FG#973

1 John 3:16
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Ya know, I would have probably laughed too. I could not imagine at that age having an angel come tell my husband that we would finally have a son. But back then people lived to several hundred years old so I really don't think she would look like the 80 something year olds now. Do ya'll? I don't know. Maybe they did. But having a baby when your young is alot of work. I can't imagine when I'm 80 having a baby. But God is good and always does what He says He will do. So she should have been prepared for this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile
We talk about the miracles of those days, Do we see that kind of miracle today? Like the birth of a son for Sarah, The burning bush! Is he as open to the outstanding miracles that there is no doubt that it is from God? Where do we see these miracles taking place today? Just a thought!
HUGS~~~~~Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  4:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Seeing a child born is the greatest miracle we see today I think. I remember well my own children but seeing little Lillian come into the world last month.... how can anyone doubt there is a loving God!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, nice reading everyone's perceptions and thoughts, and learning what God's placed on your heart and the area's He's speaking to all of us about! I lost my way, literally, couldn't remember where this Bible study was in all the chat's....finally found you all again! Keep going! I'm still cathcing up....

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #1- Women of the Bible Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page