Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organic Next Topic  

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Would love any organic ways of making my home safer?

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:38:42 AM  Show Profile
For cleaning your best - and cheapest - bet is vinegar. I love it. Mix vinegar and water, throw in a few drops of essential oil if you wish, and you have a great all-purpose cleaner, works well on windows too. Apple cider vinegar is fabulous on wood floors too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susie,
I've gone that way for just about everything.
Laundry soap, shampoo, carpet cleaning.
It's cheeper too!

Here's the soft scrub I use:

Tub & Tile Cleaner - You will need 1 2/3 cups baking soda, 1/2 cup liquid soap (Dr. Bronners works really well), 1/2 cup filtered water and 2 TBLS. distilled white vinegar. PREP: Mix baking soda and liquid soap in a bowl. Dilute with water and add the vinegar. Mix with a fork until any lumps are gone and the mixture has a pourable consistency (you may need to add more water). Pour into a clean 16 oz squeeze container (the kind with the squirt flip top lid. Shake well before using; keep the lid tightly closed to prevent mixture from drying out. TO USE: Squirt on tub, tile, sink or toilet bowl and scrub. Rinse well. If any baking soda residue remains, rinse with a mixture of vinegar and water and next time use a little less baking soda in the recipe.

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:09:57 AM  Show Profile
I like this one from Dave Ramsey's frugal forum:
Sneaker Freshener

5 drops lavender
5 drops tea tree
1 tablespoon baking powder or cornstarch

Add essential oils (EOs) to baking powder (which is more sweetening in nature) or the cornstarch (which is softer-textured). Stir gently to spread scents of the oils. Store in shaker top containers.

Give the insides of sneaker a coating of powder overnight. Shake out before wearing

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile
I do this one but I use water instead of vinegar.
The vinegar would work faster on the odors though.

Room Deodorizer

1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon
cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice

Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe dish and heat until almost boiling. Set out in the room, and soon the room will be odor-free. This will reduce both food and cigarette smoke odors.

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:46:12 AM  Show Profile
I just use baking soda for scrubing and cleaning. Vinegar for some things. I make my own laundry soap and use vinegar for the rinse. And for the dishwasher too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile
cleaning was been done for many years without dow and monsanto chemical. our nanas used pure lemon oil for furniture. i buy one that is pure. you could make your own with mineral oil and a lemon essential oil. nanas used all the stuff the girls here use. the soaps made by folks are so good for you instead of bad. remember it boils down to...an abrasive,a disinfectant, soap,oils for wood,maybe a tsp that is phosphate free for tuff stuff,my vinegar is 35 % i dilute per task. all the stuff the other girls mentioned. i also use oxi-clean, i use a liquid peroxide that is 35 % dilute as need. we use 3% peroxide as a mouth rinse. i also use sodium hexametaphosphate sometimes. you can get in bulk. it is used in the fish industry. they use it to bleach fish white and to take the smell of fish out of fish. it is a natural mineral. i use it in laundry soap recipe. its a dry product in 50lb. bags.i do buy a liquid dish soap that is called planet or any that are more natural. on most clothes its enough to put a drop on a stain and wash and it comes clean. meant to clean grease in kitchen so helps in laundry cheaply.just a thought or two sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page