CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  08:56:37 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to read some favorite campfire cooking recipes. I'm getting my plans together for summer campouts and I need some ideas.
Thanks!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:06:43 AM  Show Profile
OOh! One of my favorites is roasting a granny smith apple over the fire (rotating constantly) until the skin starts to blister and the apple starts spewing it's juices out. Then, carefully (it's very hot) peel the skin off the outside. Take with you a ziplock bag with a mixture of sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and once you've removed the apple skin, dip the apple in that mixture and coat the entire apple. Then, stick the apple back over the fire until the sugar mixture is all melty and "bruleed". Blow in it and eat! Yummy yummy yummy!!!! Oh my goodness...it's like apple pie on a stick.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile
We always make veggie packets...what ever veggies you like (chop em' before hand) put them in heavy duty foil layered, add slice onions, a little dressing and some fresh herbs, s & p, fold them up into little foil "pillows" and put them in the fire. Steamed and flavorful, a great addition to some burgers!

I also make a breakfast casserole ahead of time in my cast iron skillet and simply re-heat it over the fire. Easy and oh-so good.
Layered:
hashbrowns
spicy ground sausage
scrambled eggs with a little salsa
cheese
green onions

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:16:06 AM  Show Profile
Foil dinners a bit of meat and vegs in a foilk wrapped package on the coals. Love it.

french bread coated with sweetned condensed milk and roasted over the fire then rolled into coconut.

Mock apple pie made with ritz crackers and cinnamon.

fresh salmon marinated in Italian dressing grilled.

Pie iron pizza (need a pie iron) Alovely cast iron pot with lid on a stick.

Doughboys bisquick mixed placed on a stich about the size of your thumb and roasted over the fire fill with butter and honey.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm also all about the foil packet veggies with dressing and seasonings. These can be eaten as is, or added to pasta tossed with sliced up sausages you grilled, etc.

On a horse packing trip, my friend brought a little vacuum sealled package of cooked shrimp, something that came from the grocery store. I kind of rolled my eyes at it until, mixed with grilled sausage slices, sm can of tomatoes, and my foil pack veggies, it became Backcountry Jambalaya served over rice! So great!!

I like bringing sausages since they keep well and cook quickly. Keilbasa and sauerkraut with campstove cast iron skillet fried potatoes is always a hit. Just having a ton of fixins makes burgers and dogs really fun. I try to keep it all very gourmet, with no nitrates, free range meats and as organic as possible.

I also like making breakfast burritos. I am allergic to eggs and dairy, so these are " fix your own style" from the following:
eggs
bacon
black beans
salsa
cheese
sometimes, fried potatoes

Hot German potato salad is also a good one. I try to make green salads and veggie packs to balance out all the heavy fare!
Everyone's ideas sound AWESOME!!!
I never go camping without the darkest organic dark chocolate I can find...
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kim,
if you can get your hands on a copy of the just released "Sisters on the Fly" book,(by Irene Rawlings) there is a section of wonderful tried & ture camping recipes...
Also this month's issue of Hobby Farms-Home magazine has a great article on Dutch Oven cooking for campers.
Have fun.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Yummm! This all sounds so good. We are also big fans of the veggie foil packets. We've cooked whole onions like this. Man, are they good! Peel 'em, oil 'em, salt 'em, wrap 'em & cook 'em. Sooo sweet & tender. Add to any other food or eat straight from the foil. Chili in the cast iron dutch oven cooked over the fire is good too. There's just something extra yummy about cooking straight over the campfire, isn't there? We camp in a few weeks. Reading all these recipes has me even more excited due to the good eats! I think I'm gonna have to try Siobhan's apple treat! Too bad Michigan apples won't be ready by the time we camp.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  7:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Love the hobo dinners, matter of fact we just had some yesterday! You can also make use of those abundant zucchini by scrubbing, hollowing it out and making a filling of parmesan, bread crumbs butter and egg, season with rosemary from the garden. I pack these in the foil in the cooler and then I do nothing when we get there except throw the packets next to the fire and keep em turning. Cant forget cobblers, so so easy in a dutch oven. Has anyone ever made those little metal fryer sandwiches or pies over the fire? Try cashew butter with some dark chocolate chips and dried cherries...SO GOOD

Mary, I havent had hot german potato salad in YEARS. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I wonder if I can make it vegetarian.....

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jul 04 2010 09:05:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile
For treats over the fire, we do camper pies (you need the special iron to make them) with whatever filling between two pieces of bread. We also make what my parents used to call Monties. Frdge biscuit dough wrapped around the end of a fat stick. Cook it over the fire (like a marshmallow) until the dough is done (maybe 4-5 minutes?) and then slide the dough off the stick. This makes a cup like thing that we filled with butter and cinnamon/sugar.

For meals, we do a lot of the foil things too or just a bunch of things slopped together in a cast iron pan!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  12:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
These all sound so good! I will have to try them. Thank you all so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  9:09:27 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorites was to cut an orange in half and squeeze out the juice. (Fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast!). Then mix up chocolate cake according to the directions on the box using the Jiffy cake mix variety (so it doesn't make up so large a batch) . Spoon the cake mix into the oranges ... maybe about half full. Wrap it in tin foil (I usually double wrap) and place in a bed of coals. The orange gives the cake a wonderful flavor! I don't remember how long to bake ...

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile
We just went tent camping and took our campfire griddle pans (simple griddle with two side handles). We cooked just about anything on them, placed on the fire pit grill. We made pizza, corn on the cob, asparagus, camper potatoes (slice potatoes and onions, add butter and seal in foil pouches and cook right on the fire pit grill), eggs, pancakes, fresh toast, bacon, sausage, apple pies (hand held iron), heated hot water for hot cocoa, brewed coffee, and made many other meals. Even make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch one day. I scramble eggs in a cup and cook right on our campfire griddle pan. Our next venture will be to invest in a dutch oven.

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  11:47:42 AM  Show Profile
We are going camping this weekend, and I need some fast no-cook ideas for lunch. We are planning on doing a lot of fishing, so want something we can just run back to the campsite and eat quickly. I'm taking sandwich ingredients, but was hoping for something a little more fun than a sandwich!

Luanne
beekeepersgirl

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  5:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I want to subscribe to this thread! I plan on doing some backyard camping soon and have been scouring cookbooks, etc. for fire-friendly recipes. Thanks for the great ideas!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  7:50:51 PM  Show Profile
We just went camping. We love chili for cool .weather cooking. Sometimes we cook steaks, baked potatoes, and corn-on-the-cobb. This weekend I made a peach dump cobbler (or cake). You layer peaches with liquid, cake mix, butter, brown sugar(and pecans if desired) in a 10 or 12-inch dutch oven Do not stir. Put about 6 charcoals under oven and 8 on top. Bake 30-45 minutes. Turn oven about every 10 minutes. Cake is done when juice has bubbled up into cake and there is not lumps of cake mix. Top may be slightly golden on top. The number of charcoal may vary.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  01:06:49 AM  Show Profile
Love Love Love this topic...so many great ideas!!
For the camper pie irons gr cheese are great, and for the pie's I get my bakery to slice cinnamon raisin bread real thin and use the specialty apple dessert filling, the apples are diced small as opposed to reg pie filling...these are great!
Hey Diana how about a chunk of angel food cake covered in the sw cond milk rolled in coconut??? oh my lanta...gotta have a fire this weekend and try it...

~Janie~
"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
www.kitchenweekendwarrior.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  12:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of the sweetened condensed milk coconut thing...I am going to have to try it out. Also, these pie things you are talking about, can you purchase them in camping sections of a store? Thanks.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  7:52:59 PM  Show Profile
We call them mountain pie makers and, yes, they can be bought in camping sections of a store. I like the cast iron ones better than the aluminum but they are getting hard to find. I like to make all of the things already mentioned, but another thing that is pretty tasty and easy to make in a pie maker is a quesadilla. I pre cut the tortillas into about 4" squares using a pizza cutting wheel and have cheese, jalapenos, etc. available as fillers. Thanks, everyone, for posting these campfire cooking ideas! I can't wait to go camping and try some! The roasted apple sounds delicious!! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Favorite campfire cooking recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page